Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

the only thing I was asking for is requiring a summary below the tweet of what is actually behind the paywall if someone is going to vaguepost it

Serious question, what do you expect people to post as a summary with it if they aren’t a subscriber so have absolutely no information to add other than the twitter scoopster’s vaguepost?

It would be kind of dumb to just say “well don’t post them if you don’t have the scoop” because it’s still new information at least even if it doesn’t have all the facts yet.

Or when SRS tweets poo poo like “AEW star had their dick twisted all the way off in a backstage altercation, more information for Fightful Select subscribers later” so the summary isn’t even available yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Critical posted:

I usually take the SRS tweets as an unspoken "Anyone with a sub have the scoops brother?" request.

this is basically all I was asking for

if you post a srs vaguepost, include a summary of any real information that is behind the paywall or just don't post it

History Comes Inside! posted:

Serious question, what do you expect people to post as a summary with it if they aren’t a subscriber so have absolutely no information to add other than the twitter scoopster’s vaguepost?

If it's just clickbait with absolutely no info how about just not posting it because that's basically just an advertisement

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

“AEW star had their dick twisted all the way off in a backstage altercation, more information for Fightful Select subscribers later”

Woah, who was it?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

Not sure how it was in the old days but I don't see a problem with having a thread that just aggregates all the wrestling news for all the promotions and the business as a whole and additionally have promotion specific news show up in the discussion threads. It'll probably just naturally shift to the news thread after a bit if it catches on but even if news are still posted in the other threads it's not going to hurt anybody. Hell, some people will probably get their scoops from the news thread and repost them in the other relevant places.

Imma shrug and say :justpost: for whoever wants to make it and we can see if it floats. Would suggest it be news and not gossip, ie no posting some rando on the birdsite with 100 followers with sources saying CM Punk has been compromised to a permanent end or whatever horseshit they post to get attention. We all know who this includes.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

this is basically all I was asking for

if you post a srs vaguepost, include a summary of any real information that is behind the paywall or just don't post it

If it's just clickbait with absolutely no info how about just not posting it because that's basically just an advertisement

That’s a super niche hangup to have and I think you’re being very unrealistic to expect the rest of the forum to cater to you.

People like to post about the scoops and speculate about the scoops and then someone eventually turns up with the scoops. Maybe even sometimes the people with the subs didn’t know there was a scoop to go see until they saw the tweet in the thread, so they’re prompted to go bring us the scoop!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Critical posted:

Although I do think a fully kayfabed ridiculous news thread where everyone acts like the headlines are real would be fun. We used to have one where WCW won the war.

This is still my greatest contribution to the forums.

I agree that while I like the idea of a "scoops" thread, in practice it would probably lead to a lot of cross-posting and split discussion based on whether something ended up in the AEW/WWE threads first with an "anyone have a sub?" post or the scoops thread first. I'm not sure if that's reason enough not to try it, though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't know asking people to post the actual information instead of just the clickbait advertisement tweet would be controversial but here we are

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

IGgy IGsen posted:

Woah, who was it?

I don’t know I don’t have $5 to give to SRS :(

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Orange Carlisle posted:

sorry you took this personally because it wasn't about you, and you didn't ruin my day or whatever the dunk attempt was there

the only thing I was asking for is requiring a summary below the tweet of what is actually behind the paywall if someone is going to vaguepost it

often times people already do this, which is nice - you not doing that this time you can take personally if you really need to I guess?

You posted it immediately after my post but ok. And there wasn't a summary yet, the summary was the tweet. I was posting it because it was being widely circulated elsewhere, and I wanted to discuss it because I was hoping someone else would post the news when it came out.

Orange Carlisle posted:

I didn't know asking people to post the actual information instead of just the clickbait advertisement tweet would be controversial but here we are

And I didn't realize posting the tweet would be controversial, but here we are.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Critical posted:

Imma shrug and say :justpost: for whoever wants to make it and we can see if it floats. Would suggest it be news and not gossip, ie no posting some rando on the birdsite with 100 followers with sources saying CM Punk has been compromised to a permanent end or whatever horseshit they post to get attention. We all know who this includes.

Rarity?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

I mean sometimes even the clickbait is new to me. Didn't know there would be anyone WWE and AEW would be fighting over at the moment that wasn't contracted.

And if yall keep slapfighting I'm going to mod challenge you to write essays on why the perfectplex is the best finisher of all time.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

You posted it immediately after my post but ok. And there wasn't a summary yet, the summary was the tweet. I was posting it because it was being widely circulated elsewhere, and I wanted to discuss it because I was hoping someone else would post the news when it came out.

it was literally just the most recent example of something that happens fairly often and something I forgot to bring up previously as a suggestion so it kinda was a post it before I forget again situation, it wasn't directed at you personally so I apologize if it seemed that way

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
fwiw the clickbait also goes up like 2 hours earlier than the actual info usually

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Orange Carlisle posted:

I mean sometimes people find a headline interesting without having a subscription to Fightful, dude.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Start a thread where everyone has to post their pattern subscriptions so we know who is just posting a tweet and who is posting it while deliberately withholding the scoops

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

we aren't here.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Orange Carlisle posted:

can we do away with posting vague clickbait fightful select tweets without a summary of the information in the 'article' - they're basically as annoying as rovert posting and posting vague tweets behind a paywall is really stupid

Eh, I don't think they really negatively impact threads and this feels too much like D&D homework rules to be a thing we should enforce with probs or something. Maybe try a nice request over punishment though? Like when someone posts it you can post "oh, I don't subscribe. Can you explain it?"

Like, I'm for posting it here as a request for people but I don't think it's something we should probe for at all.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes i'm disappointed if the full story gets posted too quickly after the vaguepost. coulda had more fun guessing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't want to name names but what we need on here is more direct confrontation to solve our issues with each other. you know who you are

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BANJO IM CALLIN YOU OUT

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

having to bounce back and forth between threads sounds like a nightmare and discussion is fun

:justpost:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you could have both an aggregator and post news in threads

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have an aggregator it’s called Twitter.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

JOHN CENA posted:

you could have both an aggregator and post news in threads

I honestly miss the news thread because as a sane person I don't look at the Weekly Discussion threads

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

This was a tremendously dumbass post but did it really warrant a probe like 18 hours later after one of the actually active mods had already probed the same poster like 2-3 posts later for another equally dumbass post in the same thread?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

This was a tremendously dumbass post but did it really warrant a probe like 18 hours later after one of the actually active mods had already probed the same poster like 2-3 posts later for another equally dumbass post in the same thread?
I don't even disagree that it wasn't necessary but those are two sixers 17 hours apart so I'm pretty sure they slept through one of them anyway.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

From what I can see another report came in this morning for the linked post which prompted the second sixer. Two probations passing each other silently in the night.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that guy should be chain probated on sight

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ill volunteer to be the IK that chainprobes that guy and the epic rereg guy

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

well i don't know about all of that. a little less advocacy for the devil goes a long way. at least for the poo poo devil. hardly anybody needs to be rudely confronted about when they don't like to see and smell some big pieces of poo poo. hooey. and it seems like that's been addressed

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

thanks for keeping the peace, cavauro

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mods. Kick the above person's little rear end

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

mods. Kick the above person's little rear end

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
mods. Kick the above person's HUGE rear end

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Malcolm Excellent posted:

mods. Kick the above person's HUGE rear end

Aw thanks for the compliment my friend. I've been working out

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'd like to see these tags made available to use in the subforum.

and please remove 'dog fights'; that type of humor isn't appreciated and makes me sad to think about when it's seen.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mob posted:

I honestly miss the news thread because as a sane person I don't look at the AEW Weekly Discussion threads

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

If skipping posts to find news is too difficult, this script can be used to filter posts to just those with twitter/images/links by making the below a bookmark and clicking it when looking at a thread:

javascript
code:

:(function(){ $('table.post').filter(function() { return $(this).find('.postbody > div.tweet, .postbody > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > a:not([href*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > .timg_container > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"])').length === 0 }).hide() })()

I had to split "javascript" and the code because of some script injection protection for posts, the bookmark should be with it preceeding the semi colon. Probably doesnt help for mobile/app users is all

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im just gonna make and maintain the news thread later tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Can I post my links to my blog in it? They're not news, rather opinion, but there's no general thread for wrasslin' stuff.