Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Oops, I have the Torrent Compact! Looks like 330mm given how wide the cards are. That’ll fit an FE, but I’m not sure about non-AIO AIB cards…

Make sure the Torrent Compact's clearances include fans. If that's 330mm without fans, then no 4090 is gonna fit with fans installed. (the torrent compact has extra thick fans)

shrike82 posted:

The Phanteks Evolv X just based on a quick googling - I have an Ampere A6000 squeezed in with a Thunderbolt daughter card which I guess I can remove

The phanteks site suggests that this case can support up to 435mm-long cards and the 4090 FE is 304mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

you're pretty much stuck with the FE unless you want to try your luck with the tolerances on fitting a 329.4mm card into a 330mm space

you can remove the chunky fans on the torrent and put slimmer ones in to get more clearance but that kind of defeats the point of the case

Thanks for the chart! This page makes it look like I could get to 343 with 140mm fans, I think. Probably I’ll go AIO if I can’t get an FE, then.

Or there’s this arrangement with 180mm fans:

That would give me lots of clearance length-wise, but I’m not sure enough ventilation for the CPU with a D-15S.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

note that arrangement with the 180s on the bottom only works with a microATX motherboard

you could put 1x180 in the upper front position and 2x140 in the bottom while still fitting an ATX though

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 11, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

note that arrangement with the 180s on the bottom only works with a microATX motherboard

you could put 1x180 in the upper front position and 2x140 in the bottom while still fitting an ATX though

Yeah, I’ve got a TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS for the current AM4 build, which I think is mATX…

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

in that case you may as well go all out with the 3x180mm arrangement

fractal sells those fans separately so you can pick up a third

https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-dyn-x2-gp18-pwm-bk-case-fan/p/N82E16835352093

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

repiv posted:

you're pretty much stuck with the FE unless you want to try your luck with the tolerances on fitting a 329.4mm card into a 330mm space

you can remove the chunky fans on the torrent and put slimmer ones in to get more clearance but that kind of defeats the point of the case

lmao my silverstone FARA R1(322mm GPU clearance) can't fit any of the AIB cards without removing at least the front mid case fan

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

4090 just barely hitting 60fps in portal rtx with a 1080p internal resolution :tif:

the tech is gorgeous but we're still a way away from it being practical

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is that fully path-traced Portal is why it's so heavy?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, that's full path tracing they went with. No card other than the 4090 will be able to hit 60fps at 4K with DLSS Performance enabled, which is probably by design considering it's a tech demo meant to promote the new cards.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Hell yeah, bring on more fully path traced games imo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

cyberpunk doesn't have a canned benchmark does it? it's not that unusual for outlets to differ wildly in cases like that, especially in something like an open world game where performance can be all over the place depending on where you test

FWIW, based on their Ryzen 7000 series results, it looked like TPU and GN used the in-game benchmark (Steve dismissed the game as GPU bound), whilst HU did manual runs (new gen had a notable uplift).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Hell yeah, bring on more fully path traced games imo.

portal rtx has the especially nice touch of handling rays going through portals correctly, so light spills through them realistically

it's going to make my 3070 cry though

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Will Portal it work on a 1070? Quake RTX ran at like 20fps at 640x480 so I think it should be ok, right

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think they stopped updating the pascal raytracing fallback so it might not have the API features portal RTX depends on

if it does work it'll probably be measured in second per frame

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 11, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This is without undervolting, just power limit manipulation:

Undervolting is apparently not very effective, though not many reviewers have tested it. Power limits though seem to degrade performance much less compared to ampere, which saw much more linear scaling than this.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
derbauer lowered the power target from 130% in increments of 10%, and you don't lose that much fps going down to 70%

i hope he'll make some better charts, but that's techtubers for you ...

e: gfdi

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Good lord those are some very impressive 4090 numbers. Did they say what power consumption is like? Will my British butt go bankrupt as soon as I turn the switch on?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Good lord those are some very impressive 4090 numbers. Did they say what power consumption is like? Will my British butt go bankrupt as soon as I turn the switch on?

Literally the two posts above you. If you won't go bankrupt buying the 4090 with your monopoly money, the power won't be a huge issue.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Undervolting is apparently not very effective, though not many reviewers have tested it. Power limits though seem to degrade performance much less compared to ampere, which saw much more linear scaling than this.

lmao this is all so stupid when they could just tuned it to be a 280W card and call it a day but nooooooooo

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Palladium posted:

lmao this is all so stupid when they could just tuned it to be a 280W card and call it a day but nooooooooo

they probably intended to go for more power and touch the part of the curve where it goes back up again, got worried about the backlash to power use in the previous gen and chose to back off from those higher power draw designs, and then found that moving back to the next inflection point would make the cards they’re still selling look stupid

e: main takeaways looking through reviews imo—tsmc n4 has got the sauce, samsung custom 8nm did not, and trying to sell through a giant pile of old inventory creates incentives to do some very silly things

this allusion meant fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 11, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Palladium posted:

Yeah I would be perfectly happy to lock that sucker at 60% and run it for the next decade.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
so it comes pre-overclocked and if you want you can just set it to 280W and still have a card that's like 50-60% faster than the previous best, sounds pretty good tbh

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'll never understand people that buy really expensive computer parts once a decade. not to single you out, seemingly a lot of people do it but I don't get it

Shipon posted:

so it comes pre-overclocked and if you want you can just set it to 280W and still have a card that's like 50-60% faster than the previous best, sounds pretty good tbh

it sounds less good when it costs twice as much

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's a lot easier now since the gains are really small between generations. Unless, I guess, you have a small nuclear reactor to draw from to power your video game machine. I bought a 1080 roughly at launch and I picked up a 3080 now, roughly 6 years later. The difference isn't really noticeable.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah the sentiment I got is set PT to 350W if you're bothered about heat/noise, then forget about it. Nvidias smart poo poo does everything else.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think the fact that this generation's cost/perf ratio is messy everywhere but at the 4090 is making it look so attractive. We've also been conditioned by the prices of GPUs being hosed for so long.

So basically everything NVidia is trying to fish with is getting us to bite.

(I won't be going with a 4090. I'll either keep rolling with my 2080S or wait a year+ for a 4080 16GB to cut down to about half it's price).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Inept posted:

I'll never understand people that buy really expensive computer parts once a decade. not to single you out, seemingly a lot of people do it but I don't get it

Eh I was mostly joking, but it does seem like the 4090 would have enough grunt to happily power games at 4k for the foreseeable future.

I did run a first gen i7 for 9 years, but that was a happy coincidence of it being an OC monster, and console generations languishing and not pushing the envelope very hard for quite a while. All the same that system saw a ram upgrade and three different gpus.

Lockback posted:

(I won't be going with a 4090. I'll either keep rolling with my 2080S or wait a year+ for a 4080 16GB to cut down to about half it's price).

Yup, same here.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cool benches, I want to see more 3440x1440 numbers though. I don't want any temptation to move away from my 3080 10G FE.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Inept posted:

My 3770k and 980 ran 1080/144 just fine for 9 years. It's only just now with a want to upgrade to 4k/120 and 4k VR for flight sims that I needed a new build

Also my old mobo died

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I just moved to the Seattle suburbs a few days ago, which incidentally has the lowest electricity prices I've ever seen (10 cents a kwh hydro power with no time of day penalties, what...) so the 4090 is just gonna be my space heater baby. poo poo is COLD up here.

Well, cold to me, since I lived next to the beach in Santa Cruz and I swear the temp range was 57-72 degrees no matter the season. gently caress California energy prices. We were paying almost 40 cents a kwh by the time we moved so this is literally almost 25% of the power cost.

The point is give me the heat, sheit. If I can drive my S95B QD OLED at 4k/144, and get heat, sure. Done.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

How restrictive are the model requirements set out by Nvidia? Sure we see all kinds of 420.69 Windforce FTW cards OC'd just a bit beyond the reference models, but could a 3rd party take a 4090 board and make a '4085'? Like, set it to a 325W power target with a suitably sized cooling solution and tada here's a card that'll handle 98.6% of any and all gaming needs, that is a more reasonable 2 or 2.5 slots and not a case clogging monster like these 4090s we're seeing?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pretty cool to see 4k 120/144hz truly arrive. The cooler seems overbuilt, which lends credence to my personal belief that they made the FE bigger specifically because some focus group somewhere said "big price means i want big GPU!!!"

drat do I already need to update my 4090 Buyers Guide effort post, lol

Linked in case anyone wants it. I was in a very boring meeting at work.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arrath posted:

How restrictive are the model requirements set out by Nvidia? Sure we see all kinds of 420.69 Windforce FTW cards OC'd just a bit beyond the reference models, but could a 3rd party take a 4090 board and make a '4085'? Like, set it to a 325W power target with a suitably sized cooling solution and tada here's a card that'll handle 98.6% of any and all gaming needs, that is a more reasonable 2 or 2.5 slots and not a case clogging monster like these 4090s we're seeing?

Usually they have reasonably tight power limits which I assume have minimums too for stability reasons. For sure they can't call anything a 4085 though. So they'd need to call whatever a "4090 underclock" which seems like a marketing headache. And they wouldn't save any money and be at the bottom of any chart comparing across 4090s. So I doubt even if they could anyone would bother vs just selling a regular one that has the tools for you to underclock it yourself.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
ASRock and GUNNIR to launch custom Arc A770/A750 graphics cards tomorrow

ASRock playing both sides? I knew I liked their brand of insanity.

shrike82 posted:

Lol if it doesn't support the 40 series cards

You know, if Intel is going to make their own drat riser boards anyways, you'd think that the LEAST they could do is make it so that the PCIe fingers are pointed at eachother, instead of making their riser board, and then adding a riser cable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Really interested to see how the 4080 12GB benches at 1440p, otherwise it seems like picking up a 3080 Ti on sale might be my best option for price/performance.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

My 3770k and 980 ran 1080/144 just fine for 9 years. It's only just now with a want to upgrade to 4k/120 and 4k VR for flight sims that I needed a new build

Also my old mobo died
I know people still using a 2500k for that matter, obviously not running msfs2020 but cpus have decent life now. I remember back in the 90s/00s I was buying a new CPU or video card or both every year or two.

I just realized my 9900k is almost exactly 4 years old now :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not even A WEEK after the closure of Stadia, I feel....

As though Google has... somehow missed the point on this, yet again.

Google partners with Acer, Lenovo, Asus on new cloud gaming Chromebooks

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Usually they have reasonably tight power limits which I assume have minimums too for stability reasons. For sure they can't call anything a 4085 though. So they'd need to call whatever a "4090 underclock" which seems like a marketing headache. And they wouldn't save any money and be at the bottom of any chart comparing across 4090s. So I doubt even if they could anyone would bother vs just selling a regular one that has the tools for you to underclock it yourself.

Brand it as the "4090 Mini".

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The Digital Foundry 4090 review mentions something I haven't heard before: frame generation currently needs to be run uncapped to work right, introducing frame tearing above your monitor's maximum refresh rate. If you turn on v-sync in the control panel, you get latency issues or camera stutter issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Is frame generation an optional setting in DLSS 3.0, or is it just stuck on if it's supported? I don't think I want to enable it given the image quality & latency oddities.