Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

So what is the correct way for us to observe a day off work?

Well you could start by not minimizing our horrific colonial legacy and ongoing genocide imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I spend the day with family and friends. Usually eating way too much.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Another Bill posted:

No no Thanksgiving is just a fall harvest festival you see. Whose land was the bounty harvested from? It was empty until we ploughed and seeded it.

Nobody was here, nope nope nope

[kicks the bones of long dead children under the rug]

No one is arguing against that though. I’d also add that it’s an inherently colonialist holiday because it’s a European tradition, just like Christmas and Easter.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Noblesse Obliged posted:

So what is the correct way for us to observe a day off work?

Self-flagellation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

McGavin posted:

Self-flagellation.

My muscles clenched so hard while sneezing that day it felt like someone put my balls into a vice for 30 seconds, is that close enough

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

My muscles clenched so hard while sneezing that day it felt like someone put my balls into a vice for 30 seconds, is that close enough

Only if you felt extremely ashamed while doing it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Starks posted:

No one is arguing against that though. I’d also add that it’s an inherently colonialist holiday because it’s a European tradition, just like Christmas and Easter.

Really no one is arguing that? Because all I said was that there's a disconnect between land acknowledgements and celebrating thanksgiving and most of the thread got really defensive.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Another Bill posted:

Really no one is arguing that? Because all I said was that there's a disconnect between land acknowledgements and celebrating thanksgiving and most of the thread got really defensive.

You're making a sweeping, absolute statement, ex cathedra, on behalf of people you don't get to speak on behalf of. Shall I go tell my Indigenous partner that she's wrong for celebrating Thanksgiving?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Why can't we just enjoy one holiday that's not built on religious trappings or oppression (except for turkeys) and where the central message is just get your family and friends together to enjoy good company and good food.

Harvest celebrations are not a specifically western or European thing. If you want to say the problem is that we are celebrating in stolen land, then that's not really an issue with the holiday, but with the location. At that point birthday parties are colonialist celebration.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

So Canadian thanksgiving is a holiday adapted or copied from the american thanksgiving, which is absolutely a celebration of colonialism and settlers.

But even though in Canada we live next door, call it the same name, celebrate the same way (cooking a Turkey) and use the same iconography we're saying it's not a colonial / settler holiday because [vague good feeling reasons].

Am I getting it right, Canpol?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
That's Canadian culture in a nutshell Another Bill.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Do turkeys and gourds really have to be a symbol of oppression

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pretty sure biosterous and I got the holiday theology figured out. On Canadian thanksgiving, we put our best puckins out, and baby jesus comes down from heaven and kisses them at night, blessing us with pumpkin spice. And it makes your wheat sheaves grow big and strong, in every manner. And then when baby jesus goes back up to heaven, the spooky skeltons come out of the ground, and the zombies all celebrate the return of the OG zombie.

Christ, it's like you people have never been to church.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Another Bill posted:

So Canadian thanksgiving is a holiday adapted or copied from the american thanksgiving, which is absolutely a celebration of colonialism and settlers.

But even though in Canada we live next door, call it the same name, celebrate the same way (cooking a Turkey) and use the same iconography we're saying it's not a colonial / settler holiday because [vague good feeling reasons].

They adopted ours but otherwise yeah

The trappings of a colonialist culture (ours) are inherently colonialist, sorry if that's upsetting to some people. It's like complaining the poo poo you shake out of a bag of oreos has pieces of oreos in it

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Another Bill posted:

Happy Columbus Day everybody

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone here relate a Canadian Thanksgiving story from any Canadian Thanksgiving they've taken part in that has anything to do with colonialism? Are there Thanksgiving parades or something? My childhood was very secular, I'm wondering if I missed out on any of the good colonialism bits.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

They adopted ours but otherwise yeah

The trappings of a colonialist culture (ours) are inherently colonialist, sorry if that's upsetting to some people. It's like complaining the poo poo you shake out of a bag of oreos has pieces of oreos in it

Are the oreos themselves colonialist?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Another Bill posted:

Right, so, you do want me to tell my Indigenous partner, and her family, that they're wrong for celebrating Thanksgiving. I'll let them know that you're very disappointed they haven't decolonized their minds, and are glorifying imperialistic settlers by, lets see, celebrating family, love, and the massive strides forward that Indigenous-Crown relations have made.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mention how their Christianity is wrong while you're at it.

(The joke is that they make their own peace with the imposition of our traditions, and the form it takes is none of anyone else's loving business)

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 11, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I like to be prepared so can someone please tell me if I'm allowed to enjoy Halloween or is this also white supremacy? Cute kids in costumes are colonizing my front door and taking candy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Somebody please explain to me the ethical ramifications of eating a bag of Skittles I am losing my mind

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

TheKingofSprings posted:

Somebody please explain to me the ethical ramifications of eating a bag of Skittles I am losing my mind

Only allowed to taste the rainbow during Pride month, sorry.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Happy Columbus Day everybody

Oh man, I love Columbo Day, even if he is a cop.

DrBox posted:

I like to be prepared so can someone please tell me if I'm allowed to enjoy Halloween or is this also white supremacy? Cute kids in costumes are colonizing my front door and taking candy.

Buddy, if you feel anything other than crushing guilt 24/7 you aren't Catholic paying attention

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

They all taste the same, and as such, are emblematic of Canadian "cuisine"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

mojo1701a posted:

Only allowed to taste the rainbow during Pride month, sorry.

Yeah but then the all white skittles are problematic too!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
What about Coffee Crisp.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Assuming the Wikipedia page is to be believed, it seems like American and Canadian Thanksgiving coevolved, with American Thanksgiving having a longer informal history but being codified later than Canadian Thanksgiving. I don't recall there being much of a pilgrim/pioneer/colonization focus to the Canadian version unless you go to Black Creek Pioneer Village or Fort York or something and specifically ask for it. Otherwise it's a fairly generic harvest festival.

e: to quote specific bits:

quote:

In 1859, the government of the Provinces of Canada declared a Thanksgiving Day in which "all Canadians [were asked] to spend the holiday in 'public and solemn' recognition of God's mercies." The first official Canadian Thanksgiving occurred on April 15, 1872, when the nation was celebrating the Prince of Wales' recovery from a serious illness. On 9 October 1879, Canada's Governor General, the Marquis of Lorne, declared November 6 as "a day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed." The Canadian Parliament on 31 January 1957 applied the same language in its proclamation for the modern holiday: "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed—to be observed on the second Monday in October."

The godly/royal aspects seem to have toned down since then.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 11, 2022

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Bleck posted:

What about Coffee Crisp.

"Makes a nice, light snack" implies the existence of unpleasant, heavy snacks.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If we're arguing about Thanksgiving then I'm going to contribute and definitively state that if your turkey doesn't have Newfoundland savoury on it then it is bland and tasteless, change my mind.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

TheCenturion posted:

Right, so, you do want me to tell my Indigenous partner, and her family, that they're wrong for celebrating Thanksgiving. I'll let them know that you're very disappointed they haven't decolonized their minds, and are glorifying imperialistic settlers by, lets see, celebrating family, love, and the massive strides forward that Indigenous-Crown relations have made.

I definitely think you should tell your partner you're using her heritage as some kind of poker chip to win an argument online.

Report back and let us know how that goes.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Arguing About Thanksgiving

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

McGavin posted:

Self-flagellation.

I’m reading this thread aren’t I?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

eXXon posted:

I give thanks every day that my hard tack is free of weevils.

Luxury

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

What's really problematic is that shepherd's pie is called Chinese pie in Quebec.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

McGavin posted:

What's really problematic is that shepherd's pie is called Chinese pie in Quebec.

English Canada isn't ready for this kind of truth.

e: I know, because I workshopped it at a few dinner parties. People just want to hear about poutine and microbrews.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

eXXon posted:

I give thanks every day that my hard tack is free of weevils.

Alternatively, one must always choose the lesser of two weevils.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

Oh man, I love Columbo Day, even if he is a cop.

I prefer Coulomb Day, I get a real charge out of it. Shocking, I know.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

"Makes a nice, light snack" implies the existence of unpleasant, heavy snacks.

See also: Eat More

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lassitude posted:

Alternatively, one must always chews the lesser of two weevils.

You were almost there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Danielle Smith says unvaccinated people have suffered greater discrimination than those based on race, gender, sexuality and other.

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1579941835551952896?s=20&t=6j41e8oAv6KTjHN_kOuhsw

I think that English needs a word that denotes "sobbing and laughing simultaneously". German's gotta have one, right?

Edit: video for the masochists

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1579946052647780352?s=20&t=OfCmrXLwVSo3jwWs751Ekg

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 11, 2022