Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pookah posted:

I got into an argument with a drunk guy from Glasgow at about 2 in the morning in a chipper on this very topic.
I may have been a little bit pished myself at the time, or I would not have gotten into an argument with a drunk glaswegian in a chipper.
He held that the deep-fried Mars bar was a Glasgow invention in the late 1990s whereas I held the position that Rabs fish bar in Campbeltown had been deep-frying Mars bars since the early '90s.
To my personal knowledge, they also did a deep-fried frozen pizza too. Just straight out of the freezer, into the basket and fry the gently caress out of it.
Rabs are and were, not afraid to deep-fry ANYTHING.

I think it's generally credited as a glaswegian thing but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot of parallel evolution around the world. I was getting deep fried ice cream and deep fried Mars bars from our rural NZ chippy in the 90s too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

koshmar posted:

Snickers Almond are what US Mars Bar became. I can't believe I'm looking up Mars Bars on Wikipedia today.

Nice! Treasured memories of my past aren't a complete fabrication!

I thought the British were bonkers for Mars Bars because they were like our Almond Snickers. The fact that their Mars Bar is similar to our Milky Way is... weird. It's not horrible, but it's nothing special. Saying it's your favorite candy bar like saying your favorite drink is water with four ice cubes.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Coffee Sludge posted:

Smarties are a gateway to harder candies. Children end up crushing them up and snorting them just to chase that ever illusive sugar high they remember from their first time. Eventually it all stops working as all taste erodes away from sandblasting their nasal passages and taste buds completely clean off and all they have left is bittersweet memories of something they can never achieve again.

It escalates quickly

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm pretty sure I had a deep fried Snicker bar and a deep fried Twinkie at a state fair in the US in the mid-90's, so it had to have been a thing before then at the very least.

That was also the fair that I ate a scorpion in a sucker! Think it was probably around 1994 or 95.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Riven posted:

They were ALL Twix! It was a setup!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Riven posted:

They were ALL Twix! It was a setup!

IT'S THE ONLY ONE WITH THE COOKIE CRUNCH!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Publix has an import isle. They had Mars bars.

It's like someone stole half the caramel out of a tiny milky way and made the chocolate harder. An altogether inferior candy bar.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Guyver posted:

It's like someone stole half the caramel out of a tiny milky way and made the chocolate harder. An altogether inferior candy bar.

Fun fact: the lower gravity and atmospheric density on Mars actually makes Mars bars soft enough to enjoy as intended (hence the name).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Seaniqua posted:

I'm pretty sure he explained it like this: there was some kid talking poo poo in the crowd. After he won, he meant to say, "Who do you think I am?" As in, "your poo poo talking was never going to work, because I am a bitchin' bowler." Then he sorta had a brain fart and he accidentally said, "Who do you think you are?" When he follows up with, "I am!" it's because he's correcting himself, but it sounds like he answered his own question.

I like the triumphant "get it right!" after he says it though.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I know there were deep fried Snickers bars at the annual fair in my hometown in 1990 because a guy we knew died of a heart attack after going to the fair and eating one so everyone joked that the candy bar killed him.

It’s what he would have wanted people to say

They also had some kind of thing like a nacho Crunchwrap that was fried and fried steak pieces.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guyver posted:

...were they fun size mars bars?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

including wine

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why not wine? If anything could use a touch of class it's a piss-catcher.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
honestly I am puzzled. it's at a bookstore, but that just raises additional questions.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Empty Sandwich posted:

honestly I am puzzled. it's at a bookstore, but that just raises additional questions.

One does not simply shop for books sober, surely.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Empty Sandwich posted:

including wine

Uwinal is really fun to say

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

Uwinal what's this?

There I ruined it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BattyKiara posted:

This is going to be the start of the Great Goon Candy Bar Exchange! isn't it?

It could be a front page article! https://www.somethingawful.com/news/canadian-candy-challenge-3/ Oh my, that did not age well.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Pookah posted:

I got into an argument with a drunk guy from Glasgow at about 2 in the morning in a chipper on this very topic.
I may have been a little bit pished myself at the time, or I would not have gotten into an argument with a drunk glaswegian in a chipper.
He held that the deep-fried Mars bar was a Glasgow invention in the late 1990s whereas I held the position that Rabs fish bar in Campbeltown had been deep-frying Mars bars since the early '90s.
To my personal knowledge, they also did a deep-fried frozen pizza too. Just straight out of the freezer, into the basket and fry the gently caress out of it.
Rabs are and were, not afraid to deep-fry ANYTHING.

Get an Australian and New Zealander together and ask them who invented the Flat White or the Pavlova.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I love those Yellowtail flavors

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

depends on how you pronounce "urinal"

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Only thing I can think of is red wine leaving an alarming-looking stain? And the store may do events with free cheap wine like my favorite place back home used to.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Either this is a :thejoke: situation or I can't read, because I think the handwriting says "urine", not "wine".

Which still makes the sign amusing in a self-contradictory way.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Either this is a :thejoke: situation or I can't read, because I think the handwriting says "urine", not "wine".

Which still makes the sign amusing in a self-contradictory way.

Good post/username combo

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

World War Mammories posted:

depends on how you pronounce "urinal"

well, not this way at least

Splicer posted:

Uwinal what's this?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

Lobok posted:

I love Whatchamacallit but it's rare to see here in my city and nobody ever remembers the commercials when I mention them. I think my wife thought I was delusional until I finally did find it in a candy shop.

The Whatchamacallit commercial is one I have never forgotten for some reason.

"Whatcha eatin? "Whatchamacallit" "whatchamacallit?" "That's right." "What's right?" "The name." "What name?" "Whatchamacallit"
"You forgot the name?!"

That's from 1981 apparently

:negative:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There was also one with a song and an animated chocolate roller coaster and yep ok I get why people thought I was delusional.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bookish posted:

The Whatchamacallit commercial is one I have never forgotten for some reason.

"Whatcha eatin? "Whatchamacallit" "whatchamacallit?" "That's right." "What's right?" "The name." "What name?" "Whatchamacallit"
"You forgot the name?!"

That's from 1981 apparently

:negative:

The animated one was a banger. I introduced my son to these recently and he loves them. I was shocked they still make them.

https://youtu.be/Md_uz1dKMTM

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TK-42-1 posted:

The animated one was a banger. I introduced my son to these recently and he loves them. I was shocked they still make them.

https://youtu.be/Md_uz1dKMTM

Holy poo poo yeah. That's some stylish art.

Been 30 years and I remember that ad frame for frame

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Wow that's almost Nagel levels of eighties style. You know it's a good ad because it almost made me want a Whatchamacallit which is a trash bar for idiots

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lmfao that’s incredible

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Do you actually want to know?

This may be the greatest avatar/post combo I've ever seen.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Lobok posted:

There was also one with a song and an animated chocolate roller coaster and yep ok I get why people thought I was delusional.

I remember seeing it on Saturday morning cartoons.

Occasionally, I also get the chorus of the PB Crisps commercial stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTam9BJJq9w

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Goddammit thread now i want a Milky Way.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SuddenCactus posted:

Goddammit thread now i want a Milky Way.

Same, but one of these

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Guyver posted:

Sounds like you got an old one.

This also happens to Boyer's Mallo-Cups.

Mallo-Cups are made of win and god when they are fresh.

Goldenberg's Peanut Chews has all of you beat on both sides of the Atlantic.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

The first thing my new work printer ever printed out:

I feel like this printer already understands.

Bonus, the fine print on the bathroom at work:

Oh, and Violet Crumbles are the superior candy bars, just in case anyone was wondering. Y'all can go to hell with your Mars Bars.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Pookah posted:

Butterfingers are great, I always ask people bring me back a stash of them.

Splicer posted:

I worry sometimes that your posts are me blacking out and logging into an alt.

Kheldarn posted:

They used to be. Then Nestlé changed the recipe, and filled them with poo poo.

You all need to try 5th avenue bars. They're the exact same concept as butterfingers but executed way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

I’m sorry sir, you can’t return that book. It’s been flagged. It’s been in the bathroom.