Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

*finances steamroller*

"But it's my dream car!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

drk posted:

this would be a good start

In the thumbnail on my phone I mistook this for that foam-cube pit at Twitchcon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My NFT of the 2004 CNN story "Vijay Singh wins second PGA Tour" is worthless now.

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1579582286735224832

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Was that the one they started up when the Ukraine war started and they were clearly expecting there to be more long term interest in it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LanceHunter posted:

What is it about the gym that seems to rope in marks for pyramid schemes? At one of my previous gyms it seemed like everyone that worked there was in on the Advocare MLM.

Ironically gym memberships themselves encouraged pyramid scheme type behaviour to sign all your friends and family up for a discount, which might attract the type. Gymgoers tend to have an ambition as above, and also money and free time to be fleeced out of.

obi_ant posted:

Cheaper to crush them than to sell it to the next person?

They're crypto mining rigs in an official government seize, the point is to render them unusable because there's no legitimate use for them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

All these megacorps quietly realizing that NFTs are a waste of time and money is actually refreshing to see. I hope NFTs are a thing everyone looks back on in 10-20 years and laughs at how stupid it was, like Beanie Babies. Although, I don't think I'll watch the Netflix doc about this one.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

All these megacorps quietly realizing that NFTs are a waste of time and money is actually refreshing to see. I hope NFTs are a thing everyone looks back on in 10-20 years and laughs at how stupid it was, like Beanie Babies. Although, I don't think I'll watch the Netflix doc about this one.

We wish.

NFL is apparently gearing up for NFTs and only see $$$$ ahead. So the idea is "if we throw even more money at it surely it'll be more successful!"

my thoughts : :fuckoff:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
But NFTs are basically free, aren't they? The start-up cost for uhh, minting? your own NFTs is basically zilch because they represent nothing. You don't even need a fancy mining rig or whatever to do it, do you? If you already have content, just make an NFT pointing to it and hope people give you money for it. If they don't, you're out, what, basically nothing? And if you don't have content, just make a few hats, put them in different colors, and call it content.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're crypto mining rigs in an official government seize, the point is to render them unusable because there's no legitimate use for them.

They should at least auction off the video cards and use the proceeds to fund social programs.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

But NFTs are basically free, aren't they? The start-up cost for uhh, minting? your own NFTs is basically zilch because they represent nothing. You don't even need a fancy mining rig or whatever to do it, do you? If you already have content, just make an NFT pointing to it and hope people give you money for it. If they don't, you're out, what, basically nothing? And if you don't have content, just make a few hats, put them in different colors, and call it content.

Minting costs for NFTs are all over the place. It depends on where you mint the NFT, but one of the reasons NFTs are pushed as "get rich quick" schemes is the miners are making money off idiots minting their dumb NFT ideas.

At the scale of a company, spending like ten grand to mint 100 NFTs is nothing out of a marketing budget, but for an individual that's obviously going to be a big spend.

I think as far as the companies care, doing a dumb NFT collection is similar to printing out a pog collection in the '90s, or whatever other trendy cheap thing is popular. Fidget spinners, etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Phanatic posted:

They should at least auction off the video cards and use the proceeds to fund social programs.

Video cards that have been used for crypto mining are worthless.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

notwithoutmyanus posted:

We wish.

NFL is apparently gearing up for NFTs and only see $$$$ ahead. So the idea is "if we throw even more money at it surely it'll be more successful!"

my thoughts : :fuckoff:

The NBA has had their "Top Shot" NFT's for a while now. They've managed to combine the rush of opening packs of digital NFT's like old school basketball cards, plus the collector aspect, all wrapped up into NFT's.
https://nbatopshot.com/marketplace

If the NFL thinks it can make money doing something similar they totally will.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

And those are specific ASIC based bitcoin miners, so there aren't any GPUs in them and they are not of any use for any other purpose.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ironically gym memberships themselves encouraged pyramid scheme type behaviour to sign all your friends and family up for a discount, which might attract the type. Gymgoers tend to have an ambition as above, and also money and free time to be fleeced out of.

On top of that, gyms are effectively unsustainable at their pricing model if everyone who paid for a membership actually used it regularly. The only thing that keeps them profitable is BWM people who don't manage their subscriptions.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

On top of that, gyms are effectively unsustainable at their pricing model if everyone who paid for a membership actually used it regularly. The only thing that keeps them profitable is BWM people who don't manage their subscriptions.

That was me about ten years ago. I was doing my part to keep that gym in business.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gun

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's why January is such an unpleasant month to be going to the gym. People with New Years' Resolutions to get rid of their holiday fatness suddenly remember that they're still members of 24 Hr Fitness or whatever, so for 4-6 weeks there are no parking spots and no empty lockers and waiting lines for equipment as the gym is overloaded by actual paying member attempting to use their memberships. Which reminds them of why they stopped going to their gym in the first place so they start dropping out and by mid-February everything is back to normal.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This is also why gyms are impossible in January, because instead of having ~15% of their membership showing up, they've got ~50% and thus everything is a chaotic mess.

That said, the BWM types I see at the gym are folks I see at the gym, not just folks who are paying for a membership and never showing up. Trainers in particular seem to always be getting roped into MLMs. Perhaps it's the fact that they have to have that sales personality to be able to sell memberships and training packages, and so they think they can do the same with Advocare or Herbalife or whatever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Gyms also seem like good places for MLM types to ply their trade - meet lots of people in an environment where it isn't too weird to strike up a conversation, maybe move some product or build your downline.

I'll bet MLM sales manuals suggest gyms as good places to look for prospects.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ultrafilter posted:

not really true, more sophisticated mining ops figured out that undervolting was a big benefit in terms of cost/perf ratios and silicon isn't harmed by being run within spec.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Even Meta employees don't think the Metaverse is useful for holding meetings, shopping, or fun. So, the company is now tracking employee usage of the metaverse and mandating quotas for staff to spend in the metaverse because they spent so much money developing it and nobody is using it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The full NYT article on how the company has wasted billions on the metaverse and achieved nothing that people want to use is pretty wild too.

The only thing that may be more BWM are the non-Meta companies that have already spent billions preparing Metaverse content.

quote:

Skepticism, Confusion, Frustration: Inside Mark Zuckerberg’s Metaverse Struggles

quote:

Last October, when Mark Zuckerberg, the chief executive of Facebook, announced that the company would change its name to Meta and become a “metaverse company,” he sketched a vision of a utopian future many years off in which billions of people would inhabit immersive digital environments for hours on end, working, socializing and playing games inside virtual and augmented worlds.

In the year since, Meta has spent billions of dollars and assigned thousands of employees to make Mr. Zuckerberg’s dream feasible. But Meta’s metaverse efforts have had a rocky start.

quote:

The company’s flagship virtual-reality game, Horizon Worlds, remains buggy and unpopular, leading Meta to put in place a “quality lockdown” for the rest of the year while it retools the app.

quote:

And Meta executives have butted heads over the company’s metaverse strategy, with one senior leader complaining that the amount of money the company had spent on unproven projects made him “sick to my stomach.”

quote:

On Tuesday, Meta is expected to unveil a new V.R. headset at a developer conference, along with other new metaverse features. The stakes are high for the company, which is racing to transform itself to make up for declines in other parts of its business. TikTok is siphoning younger users away from Facebook and Instagram, Meta’s two big moneymakers, and Apple made privacy changes to its mobile operating system that have cost Meta billions of dollars in advertising revenue.

quote:

In a statement, Andy Stone, a Meta spokesman, said the company believed it was still on the right path.

“Being a cynic about new and innovative technology is easy,” Mr. Stone said. “Actually building it is a lot harder — but that’s what we’re doing because we believe the metaverse is the future of computing.”

quote:

The company declined to provide more up-to-date figures for Horizon Worlds.

quote:

Mr. Zuckerberg, determined to recast his public image after years in the limelight for unpopular decisions about political speech on Facebook, has surprised some employees by making himself the innovator face of the company’s metaverse push. Demonstrations and mock-ups of Meta’s latest metaverse technologies feature footage of Mr. Zuckerberg performing V.R. versions of his hobbies, including fencing and a surfing-like watersport called hydrofoiling. The chief executive recently went on Joe Rogan’s podcast, where he told the popular comedian that building an immersive metaverse was his “holy grail.”

quote:

His involvement has backfired at times. In August, Mr. Zuckerberg posted a screenshot of his Horizon Worlds avatar on his Facebook page, along with an announcement that the app was expanding into France and Spain. But the avatar’s flat, cartoonish look was roundly mocked. (One commenter compared it to “a 2002 Nintendo GameCube release.”)

quote:

After that response, Mr. Zuckerberg and other executives directed employees to give priority to improving the appearance of avatars, according to two employees. Mr. Stone, the Facebook spokesman, characterized Mr. Zuckerberg’s reaction to the avatar backlash as “frustrated,” but did not provide additional details.

A new version of Mr. Zuckerberg’s digital appearance was fast-tracked, the two employees said
, along with updates to other Horizon Worlds avatars that had been in the works.

quote:

Four days after Mr. Zuckerberg’s original post, he shared that upgraded digital version of himself, conceding that his first avatar was “pretty basic” while the “graphics in Horizon are capable of much more.” One Meta graphic artist claimed in a LinkedIn post, which has since been deleted, that he and his team had designed roughly 40 versions of Mr. Zuckerberg’s face over a four-week period before a final version was approved.

quote:

Mr. Zuckerberg’s zeal for the metaverse has been met with skepticism by some Meta employees. This year, he urged teams to hold meetings inside Meta’s Horizon Workrooms app, which allows users to gather in virtual conference rooms. But many employees didn’t own V.R. headsets or hadn’t set them up yet, and had to scramble to buy and register devices before managers caught on, according to one person with knowledge of the events.

quote:

In a May poll of 1,000 Meta employees conducted by Blind, an anonymous professional social network, only 58 percent said they understood the company’s metaverse strategy.

quote:

As Meta has struggled to grow its metaverse, some at the company have suggested unconventional ideas for bringing in new users. This summer, three Meta employees proposed marketing V.R. headsets to Americans who received student debt relief from the Biden administration, believing it could boost sales of headsets by 20 percent, according to an internal post viewed by The Times.

“This is an opportunity for Meta Quest growth, as there is evidence that past Federal Stimulus spurred growth,” the analysis read. It does not appear that the company acted on the advice.

quote:

In a podcast interview in August, Mr. Carmack said the scale of Meta’s metaverse bet — last year, it reported a $10 billion loss in the division housing its A.R. and V.R. units — made him “sick to my stomach thinking about that much money being spent.”

quote:

As the pressure grows, Mr. Zuckerberg has sent a clear message to Meta employees: Get on board or get out. In a June meeting first reported by Reuters, the 38-year-old billionaire noted that “there are probably a bunch of people at the company who shouldn’t be here” and that he’d be “turning up the heat” on expectations and goals, according to copies of his comments that were shared with The Times.

quote:

But the transition has been rocky. Earlier this year, Mr. Bosworth tried to lead a staff meeting inside Horizon Workrooms, according to an employee who was present.

The meeting was thwarted by technical glitches and the team ended up using Zoom, the employee said.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

It tickles my loins whenever I read about billionaires being terrible with money.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The saddest thing imo is that they're pissing away 90% of that money on software development for some lovely mtx ridden secondlife clone.

I wish they would piss billions away on hardware development instead so at least after they implode the state of the industry would be further ahead.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

quote:

In the year since, Meta has spent billions of dollars and assigned thousands of employees to make Mr. Zuckerberg’s dream feasible.

quote:

Meta didn’t hold back with their announcements at Meta Connect this year.

This year as Meta focuses more heavily on the metaverse, the company made a big addition to their updated higher-detail avatars: legs.

Zuckerberg was very excited about with his avatar jumping for joy during the keynote.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The world is cruel, so I doubt my dream of Elon Musk and the Zuckster ruining both twitter and facebook is ever going to come true, but drat they're both trying.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The full NYT article on how the company has wasted billions on the metaverse and achieved nothing that people want to use is pretty wild too.

The only thing that may be more BWM are the non-Meta companies that have already spent billions preparing Metaverse content.

Wait, was it actually John “10th Dimensional Hyperintelligence Sent Back In Time to Save the Universe by Making Doom” Carmack who said the waste of money made him sick to his stomach?

Meta might as well declare bankruptcy now and sell all assets at auction.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

The world is cruel, so I doubt my dream of Elon Musk and the Zuckster ruining both twitter and facebook is ever going to come true, but drat they're both trying.

There's always the option where both websites get ruined, but Zuckermusk manages to enrich itself in the process and is wealthier than ever before. :shrug: That'd still fit the cruel world hypothesis.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Honestly I didn’t even realize that Meta had products out that people could use. I thought it was all just “well we’re working on some stuff and maybe we’ll release it when VR actually becomes a thing.”

Another thing I don’t understand is that, if SecondLife already existed, and VR headsets already existed, where did the 10 billion dollars go? Isn’t the meta concept basically just that?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 11, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Elysium posted:

Honestly I didn’t even realize that Meta had products out that people could use. I thought it was all just “well we’re working on some stuff and maybe we’ll release it when VR actually becomes a thing.”

quote:

Meta also announced that there will soon be an avatar store where people will be able to spend real money to buy accessories for their Meta avatar.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 11, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Elysium posted:

Another thing I don’t understand is that, if SecondLife already existed, and VR headsets already existed, where did the 10 billion dollars go? Isn’t the meta concept basically just that?

They bought Oculus, so therefore inherited all their stuff. It was Facebook that pushed Oculus more towards standalone headsets with the Quest and Quest 2, which is supposedly what led to Palmer Luckey finally leaving as he didn't want the focus taken off PC VR.

Also yes, not only does what Facebook wants to do exist, it exists in a format more people use and like more in the form of VR Chat. But VR Chat isn't corporation friendly so they need Horizon Worlds (which is a thing you can install and use right now on the Quest 2) to be their squeaky clean advertiser friendly virtual world. Which isn't what any of the kind of people who want to use VR want in a virtual world. They want furries with massive dicks and also anime girls with massive dicks and also minigolf, which you can do in VR Chat.

Honestly the Quest 2 is an excellent piece of hardware and all signs point to the Quest 3 being even better. Hardware is not the issue, the issue is Facebook and specifically Zuckerberg doing everything in their power to make VR look like the least fun and cool thing ever.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 11, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Elysium posted:

They spent a shitload of money developing tons of VR software that all got trashed and went nowhere.

They also paid their Metaverse developers well, hired a ton of new VR developers, and bought out a smaller VR tech firm + Oculus.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Honestly the Quest 2 is an excellent piece of hardware and all signs point to the Quest 3 being even better. Hardware is not the issue, the issue is Facebook and specifically Zuckerberg doing everything in their power to make VR look like the least fun and cool thing ever.

I think the problem is that from their perspective, the biggest issue with the Internet is that it wasn't commercialized from the very beginning, so now they're having to figure out ways to profit from it now, and it's hard. Their solution to this is to build the Metaverse around commercialization from the start. What they don't realize is that a fully commercialized platform holds next to no interest for most people. It's the non-commercial content that attracts people, so no one is interested in spending time in what is essentially an extended television commercial you can log in to.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Elysium posted:

Their only successful product, the Quest, was a separate company that already existed and was successful before they bought it. It used to be the Oculus Quest instead of the Meta Quest.
All they've done is taken the best-selling, best-value-for-money VR headset on the market and add mandatory facebook login to use it (and remotely brick yours if you don't have a fb account).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

but now under meta you don't need bookface anymore.

but yeah.. they took someone's product, tied it to themselves and said we did a good.

Metaverse is not going to be a big thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

I think the problem is that from their perspective, the biggest issue with the Internet is that it wasn't commercialized from the very beginning, so now they're having to figure out ways to profit from it now, and it's hard. Their solution to this is to build the Metaverse around commercialization from the start. What they don't realize is that a fully commercialized platform holds next to no interest for most people. It's the non-commercial content that attracts people, so no one is interested in spending time in what is essentially an extended television commercial you can log in to.
Yeah, this is also what you see in a lot of the "Web3" stuff. We're going to rebuild the internet but doing it properly (meaning centered around and controlled by corporations) this time.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Their only successful product, the Quest, was a separate company that already existed and was successful before they bought it. It used to be the Oculus Quest instead of the Meta Quest.
All they've done is taken the best-selling, best-value-for-money VR headset on the market and add mandatory facebook login to use it (and remotely brick yours if you don't have a fb account).
The Quest wasn't made until they were already owned by Facebook though and by many accounts was Facebook's idea, the idea being a standalone VR headset that didn't require a PC. It wasn't until it became successful that they started to kill off the Oculus brand and tie it more closely to Facebook. Though Zuck was very much kept out of its promotion outside the occasional acknowledgement of Oculus in financial reports. Then covid happened and Quest sales exploded as everyone desperately needed something to do, and Facebook fell to the same assumption that this huge spike of demand was the sign of a permanent trend and not a blip caused by a massive outlier global event that a lot of tech companies seemed to.

I love the Quest, but man do I see a lot of them on Gumtree and in pawn shops these days.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 11, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MEIN RAVEN posted:

It tickles my loins whenever I read about billionaires being terrible with money.

A lot of rich people got rich by getting really lucky on a stupid bet and that has a bigger influence on our society than I think anyone realizes.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Las Vegas is America's Playground. "Play" as in a fun learning version of the real thing, not just frivolity. We run our world like a casino

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Las Vegas is like a shrine to BWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Huge mess

quote:

So… my good friend purchased an 8,000 sq ft vacant lot a couple months ago. He was having a property line dispute with the neighbor so he decided to get a survey (I already told him to never purchase property again without first getting a survey) turns out he doesn’t even own the property that he thought he did. He owns the neighbor mentioned above’s property, and the neighbor unknowingly owns the property that my friend thought he bought. The neighbors property has a single wide mobile home, septic system, city water supply and a storage building (which pretty much straddles the middle of the property line) what are his best options here in you guys opinion? I told him that step 1 is to get a lawyer