Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Just like half of your synopsis

No sorry, a whole bunch of other insane poo poo happens in Chapterhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

!Klams posted:

I take your point, but, most of these concepts are built up over many books. Multi-Duncan, 'Rakis getting blown up, Atreides mega-genes, No-Ships, Bene Gesserit political dominance, all of that stuff is absolutely earned over the course of like 5 books. I mean sure some of it sounds dumb in a vacuum.

But the Face dancer gods turn up at the end of Chapterhouse, very briefly, in a shocking revelation that face-dancers (again, the concept and employ of them has been coming up across 4 books at this point) have gained independence and, in a twisted simulacrum of 'Other Memory' a form of seeming omniscience. This is a big exciting twist because we know what face-dancers are, and what they can and cant do, but that's upended in a way that's revelatory and thematically very much in keeping, and in a way that, thematically, has major implications.

I don't know when it happens, but there are only two Failson books set after, right? To take at most two books to go "No but actually instead, they're these cool robots with mind powers" is none of that. It's loving stupid.

Certainly, I get that elements of the Butlerian Jihad are coming back to the fore as Chapterhouse concludes, what with Clairby, and I could definitely see 'Dormant Cyborgs' being a thing that Frank was always going to do. But for it to be those two is just... It just erases them and replaces them with "TERMINATOR, OMG Terminator is SO cool" for no reason.
As "early" as God-Emperor of Dune, Norma Cenva is hinted at given that Leto II monologues about her and how it was her that invented everything Holtzman got his name on.

Jewmanji posted:

No sorry, a whole bunch of other insane poo poo happens in Chapterhouse.
Sure, but does that mean that the books that don't exist are suddenly good? I'm not sure what your point is.

Even if we assume that KJA based part of the plot of the two books that don't exist on notes by Frank Herbert that Brian Herbert supposedly found, something I've called into question before, the facile and low-effort way it's shoe-horned to fit in with what got written as supposed prequels just doesn't compare.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Living his best life

that episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee where Seinfeld goes over and watches TV with those two was so awesome.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

!Klams posted:

I take your point, but, most of these concepts are built up over many books.

Yeah I was mostly just being flip and saying that Heretics and Chapterhouse jump the shark pretty badly too. I've never read a KJA/BHA and I don't doubt they are abominations (the bad kind).

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

As "early" as God-Emperor of Dune, Norma Cenva is hinted at given that Leto II monologues about her and how it was her that invented everything Holtzman got his name on.

Sure, but does that mean that the books that don't exist are suddenly good? I'm not sure what your point is.

Even if we assume that KJA based part of the plot of the two books that don't exist on notes by Frank Herbert that Brian Herbert supposedly found, something I've called into question before, the facile and low-effort way it's shoe-horned to fit in with what got written as supposed prequels just doesn't compare.

I'm not sure what your point is either. Maybe we're just misunderstanding each other. I was just making a silly joke about the bracing mediocrity of Heretics/Chapterhouse.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I'm not sure what your point is either. Maybe we're just misunderstanding each other. I was just making a silly joke about the bracing mediocrity of Heretics/Chapterhouse.
They're definitely the worst part of the series, but that still puts it well ahead of the books that don't exist, yeah.

It's a pity, too - because you can still see the shape of a good series buried in there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

stop after messiah imo god emperor imo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Skip Children of Dune but read to god emperor

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Only read that handout they gave in theaters for Lynch’s Dune.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Read all of them, even the failson's, OD on ultraspice, become invisible to prescience.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

SixFigureSandwich posted:

On amazon 15 years ago :sickos:

For a lark, I looked up the Amazon invoice for my copy of the encyclopedia.

$28, back in 2012. along with Doon for 4 bucks

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cheap Trick posted:

For a lark, I looked up the Amazon invoice for my copy of the encyclopedia.

$28, back in 2012. along with Doon for 4 bucks

Ha, I looked up mine and in 2009 I paid £11,41 including shipping to someone with a Wanadoo.fr email address

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Ha, I looked up mine and in 2009 I paid £11,41 including shipping to someone with a Wanadoo.fr email address

je suis profondément émue !

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Riot Bimbo posted:

Skip Children of Dune but read to god emperor

this is wrong.

The end of Children is epic

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Children is overly maligned, I feel.

It's nowhere near as good as the preceding or succeeding novels, but it's much, much, much better than Heretics and Chapterhouse

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Barry Foster posted:

It's nowhere near as good as the preceding or succeeding novels, but it's much, much, much better than Heretics and Chapterhouse

I'll at least agree with this, but I still really dislike the book.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why the gently caress would you skip books from a good author? Read all Frank Dune and be happy

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I must be the only person who actually really liked the last 2. I enjoyed seeing the internal sisterhood stuff, the vignettes are some of the best in the series, and I for one have used the phrase "real boats rock" in a work meeting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

exmachina posted:

I must be the only person who actually really liked the last 2. I enjoyed seeing the internal sisterhood stuff, the vignettes are some of the best in the series, and I for one have used the phrase "real boats rock" in a work meeting.

I love Heretics. It’s the first book since the original where it feels like Herbert had fun writing it, and as far as being an enjoyable read, it’s probably my favorite after the original. But Chapterhouse was a disappointment to me. It’s a downer of a book and feels like too much of a direct sequel to Heretics. None of the other Dune books follow each other so closely, they’ve all got a handy time skip of 10-5000 years so the author could set up the story he really wanted to tell, and this feels just like follow-up on Heretics that should have been gotten through in a few pages so we could jump to the bildungsroman of one naive young virgin of prophecy in the Honored Matre Sex Imperium a century after the conquest or whatever. Doesn’t help that it goes right to a cliffhanger and no more books were ever written.

Also Tar and Dar’s insane maxims should be excerpted into collections for white collar head cases to read in airports, like Sun Tzu.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm sure Frank was trying to make a point about the Tleilaxu being some stupid paper tiger, but it was so disappointing how cool the world building of the Tleilaxu culture was at the beginning of Heretics and then it's just the dumb Waff stuff afterwards.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
It definitely suffers from the cliffhanger ending.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/retroscifiart/status/1579243325353496579

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

exmachina posted:

Ah, I really liked the last two. I think it definitely helped that I had a big gap between the first 4 and the last 2, so them feeling 'separate' worked quite well for me. I thought it was clever coming up with the idea of 'watchdogs' so that even in a 'friendly' environment there was still a constant need for doublespeak and wheels within wheels etc.

I think I'm kind of biased because I massively appreciate competent characters and can't really stand when tension is created from incompetence. Also the tension that drives the plot is mostly between fairly convivial characters, the Bene Gesserit's compelling Teg to act, Teg compelling Duncan, etc. I enjoy this a lot more, but do understand that it probably feels 'flat' and as though the stakes are lower and thus less exciting to most.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

God I love Eno's prophecy theme soooo drat much. Zimmer did a great job with the new one but Lynch's soundtrack is more exciting? analog? fuzzier? like hearing the sounds of a galactic conflict immeasurably distant from our own.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

DebonaireD posted:

God I love Eno's prophecy theme soooo drat much. Zimmer did a great job with the new one but Lynch's soundtrack is more exciting? analog? fuzzier? like hearing the sounds of a galactic conflict immeasurably distant from our own.

I think it's because it is composed by the band Toto (or well, primarily David Paich) in what arguably could be called their prime, David is one of the best songwriters of all time and him having all his buddies, all acclaimed artists in their own right must've helped tremendously in making such an awe-inspiring soundtrack.

On one hand, it's a shame they didn't write any more soundtracks because they had the skills to write some really, really good stuff.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

skasion posted:

I love Heretics. It’s the first book since the original where it feels like Herbert had fun writing it, and as far as being an enjoyable read, it’s probably my favorite after the original. But Chapterhouse was a disappointment to me. It’s a downer of a book and feels like too much of a direct sequel to Heretics. None of the other Dune books follow each other so closely, they’ve all got a handy time skip of 10-5000 years so the author could set up the story he really wanted to tell, and this feels just like follow-up on Heretics that should have been gotten through in a few pages so we could jump to the bildungsroman of one naive young virgin of prophecy in the Honored Matre Sex Imperium a century after the conquest or whatever. Doesn’t help that it goes right to a cliffhanger and no more books were ever written.

Also Tar and Dar’s insane maxims should be excerpted into collections for white collar head cases to read in airports, like Sun Tzu.

Yeah it's this.

They didn't feel too direct-sequel-esque to me, though. They're more than a decade apart based on the Teg ghola's age, which is more than enough by your reckoning and also more time than elapsed between Messiah and Children, which kind of did feel too close together to me.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

My theory is each Dune sequel begins at exactly the point where the status quo established at the end of the last installment begins to unravel.

Chapterhouse is the one that fits that the least. It has a timeskip, but it mostly continues the story from Heretics in a straight line. The other books jump over the stuff you could reasonably assume might follow, and drop you at the start of something new.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Prolonged Panorama posted:

My theory is each Dune sequel begins at exactly the point where the status quo established at the end of the last installment begins to unravel.

Chapterhouse is the one that fits that the least. It has a timeskip, but it mostly continues the story from Heretics in a straight line. The other books jump over the stuff you could reasonably assume might follow, and drop you at the start of something new.

I mean that's pretty much sequel writing 101.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DebonaireD posted:

Greggster posted:

I think it's because it is composed by the band Toto (or well, primarily David Paich) in what arguably could be called their prime, David is one of the best songwriters of all time and him having all his buddies, all acclaimed artists in their own right must've helped tremendously in making such an awe-inspiring soundtrack.

On one hand, it's a shame they didn't write any more soundtracks because they had the skills to write some really, really good stuff.
The OST was also played by most members of TOTO, who were all very exceptionally talented folk and worked as session musicians with a whole bunch of that eras best artists including Pink Floyd, Quincy Jones, Eric Clapton, Paul McCarthy, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Van Halen, Yes, as well as many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Heretics ends with the Sisterhood realising that "Holy poo poo, the HM are actually everywhere and specifically undermining the power structures we put in place to establish an autocracy of weaponised sex and bureaucracy" but they have Shanna and Murbella, Tleilaxu technology, and Odrade/Taraza have a plan.

CH:D starts with the Sisterhood at a nadir not seen since the Tyrant and they are accelerating their plans because they know they have little time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I still maintain that the entire series of Dune in-universe is told by some far-future combined Sisterhood-Honored Matre archivist who's using Other Memory and various written records.

There's all sorts of hints in first three books but God-Emperor of Dune makes it quite plain.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I still maintain that the entire series of Dune in-universe is told by some far-future combined Sisterhood-Honored Matre archivist who's using Other Memory and various written records.

There's all sorts of hints in first three books but God-Emperor of Dune makes it quite plain.

The first book is clearly based on Irulan's narrated audiobooks and recorded lectures for schoolchildren.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

@irulanxoxo

every character from every house, planet, guild, choam, and sietch come in with everything for a HUGE battle

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Fuschia tude posted:

The first book is clearly based on Irulan's narrated audiobooks and recorded lectures for schoolchildren.

The ending of the first book is such a masterstroke just for how it makes all the Irulan quotes hit totally different.

TOTO, who were all very exceptionally talented folk and worked as session musicians with a whole bunch of that eras best artists including Pink Floyd, Quincy Jones, Eric Clapton, Paul McCarthy, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Van Halen, Yes, as well as many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Steely Dan, which is why I'm not interested in exploring any more of TOTO's music.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

One thing that always struck me was the beginning of Messiah, where there’s a conversation about the historiography of Paul which seems to be occurring long after the events of Dune and Dune Messiah, but the characters make no reference to Leto II. You could rationalize it with some strained logic but I don’t think Frank had much of a plan when he started these books.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

One thing that always struck me was the beginning of Messiah, where there’s a conversation about the historiography of Paul which seems to be occurring long after the events of Dune and Dune Messiah, but the characters make no reference to Leto II. You could rationalize it with some strained logic but I don’t think Frank had much of a plan when he started these books.

I mean, you can only reference the dickless worm-man so many times before getting on people's nerves.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bubblyblubber posted:

I mean, you can only reference the dickless worm-man so many times before getting on people's nerves.

Is this true?

Yes it's true. This worm has no dick.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

He just doesn't quote the bit that goes, "If we talk about Worm God we are going to be here all millennium just doing the set-up to actually talk about the important stuff. So, please, keep it on topic."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the dream unfolds

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1579994747519012865?s=20&t=X7Ym0NrjdlwYhnDilIIfRQ

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Two weeks earlier! Huh, I didn't foresee that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

Two weeks earlier! Huh, I didn't foresee that.

Maybe it's time to step your game up...to the water of life