Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TheCardhouse posted:

Huh? My point is that everything in the episode seemed to point to it being ambiguous but very ominous what happened to Dyana. The director coming out and explicitly saying "no, we didn't mean to leave you wondering, the tea Dyana drank was definitely the same one Rhaenyra was given earlier in the season" completely blows that idea up.

You say you thought there was ambiguity in the scene but if you take the interview answer at face value, you are simply wrong just like me. It wasn't supposed to be ambiguous, Alicent definitely didn't harm her, we are both just reading way too much into it.

That answer does not make sense to me. It just doesn't seem to match how she actually directed those scenes at all. The scenes imply it's ambiguous, the interview says it's not.

So yeah given that apparently irreconcilable conflict, my instinct is to go with what the show seemed to say over the interview answer. If they want to make it clear that Dyana is alive I feel like they should do it in the show, not just in an interview.

My idea that maybe she felt "pressured" (probably a bad word for what I was really trying to suggest) into that answer is me trying to rationalize not taking the interview answer at face value. She did have to be asked the question twice, the first time she dodged it and just said "we're still waiting on the answer". Maybe she didn't feel comfortable dodging the follow up also? Again it's a rationalization to try to explain why the interview answer and the episode don't seem to match to me.

Or maybe I really am just straight up wrong about all of that and I did completely misunderstand the scene with Dyana, and I'll look like a complete idiot when she turns up later on. Not a big deal. It was an idea about a TV show, not some conspiracy theory.

When I said, "it was ambiguous," I meant that a minority of people seem to have a much darker reading of the show which is based off of them having some preconceptions and assumptions going into that scene that I don't share. If you back fill those in, I see what they're getting at and I think it's an interesting interpretation of what's going on in that exchange. I don't really agree with it, but it's at least worth discussing.

You sound like you're about to accuse Alicent of harvesting adrenochrome in the basement ; I was being uncharacteristically polite. You're literally taking evidence and saying it must mean the opposite because of a secret code you made up. That's not good discussion and if this line of thinking pops up in the rest of your life where you assume interviews have secret puzzle information you need to unlock, then you should probably consider what that means about you and how you process information. Preferably before you think Beto O'Rourke is gangstalking you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

As for what I alluded to above (possible spoilers from post-credits interviews?): the showrunners said that they hope to be invited back for more which made it seem like there was a question about the possibility of a second season and that this story would be resolved by the finale. I haven't read the book and all I know is from Joffery's exposition to Sansa, but it seems like we are ripping through this story and these character's lives. I think we are averaging 5-10 years per episode, so I would be surprised if they just stretched a war out over a whole season unless that war lasts another 50+ years...which I guess it could. That just seems like a completely different show with a much larger vfx budget.
:iiam:

Yeah, while I am a book reader, I don't need that to know you're very wrong. They've referenced enough of this stuff that we know this was one of the largest conflicts Westeros had ever seen up until what happened in GOT. It's a multi-generational civil war with hundreds of named characters ; they couldn't montage through it at 2x speed of a summary in the time remaining.

Like, yes, they could cut to a silent-movie style interstitial card that just says "AND THEN A BUNCH OF PEOPLE DIED THE DRAGONS WERE THE DANCE WE DID ALONG THE WAY THE END" and call that the resolution, I guess. And that would be exactly as deep as anything they could actually show under your prediction.

Like, hoss, there are important named characters that haven't even been born yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GRRM came to the bookstore I worked at to do a signing and someone asked him a very detailed question about Long Winters and an inner asteroid belt and orbital mechanics and had worked out all of the math to say how all of this was physically possible and George's answer was "I made it all up and never thought about it."

Authors are great about this stuff. Niven wrote sequels to Ringworld because he hosed up some of the physics, and then there's Ray Bradbury

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

You sound like you're about to accuse Alicent of harvesting adrenochrome in the basement ; I was being uncharacteristically polite. You're literally taking evidence and saying it must mean the opposite because of a secret code you made up. That's not good discussion and if this line of thinking pops up in the rest of your life where you assume interviews have secret puzzle information you need to unlock, then you should probably consider what that means about you and how you process information. Preferably before you think Beto O'Rourke is gangstalking you.

uhhh what the hell? Fun conversation but I think I'm out.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Xiahou Dun posted:

After the scene where Otto confronts Viserys about Rhaenyra and Daemon in the brothel, there's that scene where she hands little urchin a poo poo ton of money and thanks him for telling her things that happen in the brothel.

I think that's more than "implied".

oshit I forgot about that completely

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TheCardhouse posted:

Huh? My point is that everything in the episode seemed to point to it being ambiguous but very ominous what happened to Dyana. The director coming out and explicitly saying "no, we didn't mean to leave you wondering, the tea Dyana drank was definitely the same one Rhaenyra was given earlier in the season" completely blows that idea up.

You say you thought there was ambiguity in the scene but if you take the interview answer at face value, you are simply wrong just like me. It wasn't supposed to be ambiguous, Alicent definitely didn't harm her, we are both just reading way too much into it.

That answer does not make sense to me. It just doesn't seem to match how she actually directed those scenes at all. The scenes imply it's ambiguous, the interview says it's not.

So yeah given that apparently irreconcilable conflict, my instinct is to go with what the show seemed to say over the interview answer. If they want to make it clear that Dyana is alive I feel like they should do it in the show, not just in an interview.

My idea that maybe she felt "pressured" (probably a bad word for what I was really trying to suggest) into that answer is me trying to rationalize not taking the interview answer at face value. She did have to be asked the question twice, the first time she dodged it and just said "we're still waiting on the answer". Maybe she didn't feel comfortable dodging the follow up also? Again it's a rationalization to try to explain why the interview answer and the episode don't seem to match to me.

Or maybe I really am just straight up wrong about all of that and I did completely misunderstand the scene with Dyana, and I'll look like a complete idiot when she turns up later on. Not a big deal. It was an idea about a TV show, not some conspiracy theory.
I think the ambiguity is not in Alicent's actions, but Dyana's interpretation. The scene is very much shot from the latter's perspective, and she is definitely worried about dying.

You're definitely not a crazy person for thinking this though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alicent was definitely trying to put the fear of god in her with all the "I believe you but others might not if you go talking" to keep her scared, and was pretty callous making her drink antifreeze, but I thought it was a good mix of concern, tenderness, and understanding with the reality of a looming succession crisis. It was a nice, complex character study.

I think one of the things that was so gratifying about Viseys showing up to sit the throne is that the Greens were just so loving smug, this was their master stroke, it was going to basically be the beginning of the end for Rhaenyra as the throne officially recognizes there is something fishy about those kids, and Rhaenys basically told the same to Rhaenyras face. Emma Darcy and Consodine do a great job of the scene where she's begging him to save her and you can't tell if she's getting through to his drug addled mind, but it doesn't seem like it. And the next day poo poo is going real bad for the Blacks in the throne room and the Viserys comes to us at the turn of the tide and you can just see the defeat appear on the face of the Hightowers and allies. Just a fantastic sequence, and so unlike the heroic rescues we're used to in film and TV, though it was an act of heroism and gallantry as deep as any we've seen in fantasy. I know nothing I've said is revelatory or even particularly original, I just keep thinking about the whole thing and how watching a skeletal, bent old man drag himself across a room made me feel the same as I did watching the Ride of the Rohirrim or the Adama Maneuver.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 11, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I think Alicent had the sand monster kill Diana, who might also be Locke. The sandmosnter that is, not Diana.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're definitely not a crazy person for thinking this though.

For the record I was also arguing in favour of the plan B tea reading purely because I am right and it is the children who are wrong, the scene could be read both ways and that indeed is what generates the tension. It makes Alicent's character more coherent if she is disgusted with her eldest fail-son because he casually rapes people when he's bored. She's been on the receiving end of women as cattle, and has some shreds of empathy remaining. The tragedy of king Goon doesn't really work if the people around him are genuinely just monsters. (Some of them are, sure)

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

zoux posted:

Alicent was definitely trying to put the fear of god in her with all the "I believe you but others might not if you go talking" to keep her scared, and was pretty callous making her drink antifreeze, but I thought it was a good mix of concern, tenderness, and understanding with the reality of a looming succession crisis. It was a nice, complex character study.

I think one of the things that was so gratifying about Viseys showing up to sit the throne is that the Greens were just so loving smug, this was their master stroke, it was going to basically be the beginning of the end for Rhaenyra as the throne officially recognizes there is something fishy about those kids, and Rhaenys basically told the same to Rhaenyras face. Emma Darcy and Consodine do a great job of the scene where she's begging him to save her and you can't tell if she's getting through to his drug addled mind, but it doesn't seem like it. And the next day poo poo is going real bad for the Blacks in the throne room and the Viserys comes to us at the turn of the tide and you can just see the defeat appear on the face of the Hightowers and allies. Just a fantastic sequence, and so unlike the heroic rescues we're used to in film and TV, though it was an act of heroism and gallantry as deep as any we've seen in fantasy. I know nothing I've said is revelatory or even particularly original, I just keep thinking about the whole thing and how watching a skeletal, bent old man drag himself across a room made me feel the same as I did watching the Ride of the Rohirrim or the Adama Maneuver.

Agreed. Rings of Power has disappointed me, especially viewed next to HoD. People don't want to compare them because they are very different flavors of fantasy, but beyond that you can just tell that this story has been crafted with infinite more care and subtlety. Both series are even unique in that they're not adapted from traditional novels but more like history books of their respective settings.

Together with the dinner afterwards, the latest episode in general was an acting masterstroke. Red Wedding aside, I'm trying to think of GoT scenes I found equally evocative (I stopped watching in season 5).

I didn't see if anyone clarified, but in case anyone is still wondering about the pig like I was until I thought about the previous episodes for awhile, I'm pretty sure it's a reference to how they dressed Aemond up as a pig and teased him about not having a dragon when they were kids, which was a pretty stupid throwback for them to make in-universe. Aemond is doubtless a complete monster but you can't blame him for being enraged at that.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

RIP King Goon!

The scene with Daemon and Viserys on the steps to the throne got me good.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Killing Dyana is more trouble than its worth. As a male aristocrat Ageon has a massive fuckup quota and many male nobles probably think its only fitting for a coming king to a bit rough around the edges. Its not like sexual abuse of servants is new problem. Most of them are probably doing it to their own servants.

The most important thing for Alicent is to prevent any bastards from being born.
But if they start killing everyone Ageon abuses there is eventually going to be dark rumors about it which will definetivly not help them.

Now if Haelena had enjoyed a nigth with some commoner it would have been worth the risk it to kill him. Thats a much worse scandal since it calls into question the legitimacy of Aegons children.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

While I understand and love the nickname King Goon, let's be real. Larys Strong is the gooniest in all the land. Disdain for athletic competition? Check. Socially awkward? Check. And if killing your dad (gently caress you, dad!) and brother (owning the jocks) because you think it will please a woman that has shown you less than zero romantic interest isn't carrying the printer, I don't know what is.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 11, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tosk posted:

Agreed. Rings of Power has disappointed me, especially viewed next to HoD. People don't want to compare them because they are very different flavors of fantasy, but beyond that you can just tell that this story has been crafted with infinite more care and subtlety. Both series are even unique in that they're not adapted from traditional novels but more like history books of their respective settings.

Together with the dinner afterwards, the latest episode in general was an acting masterstroke. Red Wedding aside, I'm trying to think of GoT scenes I found equally evocative (I stopped watching in season 5).

I didn't see if anyone clarified, but in case anyone is still wondering about the pig like I was until I thought about the previous episodes for awhile, I'm pretty sure it's a reference to how they dressed Aemond up as a pig and teased him about not having a dragon when they were kids, which was a pretty stupid throwback for them to make in-universe. Aemond is doubtless a complete monster but you can't blame him for being enraged at that.

It was just a jape, bro

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Bro...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bro just one more aegon bro i swear bro this is the last one

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

ruddiger posted:

It was just a jape, bro

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tosk posted:

Dressed a pig up as a dragon.

Aemond has not dressed up as pig at any point, sadly, even though it would be pretty great. At least not on screen. I guess we can hope going forward?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Honestly surprised a flying pig isn’t already on the banner of an ancient noble house in Westeros.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Aemond has not dressed up as pig at any point, sadly, even though it would be pretty great. At least not on screen. I guess we can hope going forward?

It'd be a real power move to dress up as a pig and dare anyone to say any poo poo to you with that dragon and his apparent skill with a sword.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

It'd be a real power move to dress up as a pig and dare anyone to say any poo poo to you with that dragon and his apparent skill with a sword.

loving flex for the songs and stories.

Give the dragon a little pig costume too. gently caress it, you’re best friends with a giant firebreathing cat that could end empires. The gently caress is anyone gonna say?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

dressing up like a pig to own the strong boys

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 12, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Succession-dragon-crossover event when

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't think he is the only one reading things into messages that aren't there you absolute loon.

zoux posted:

Hard agree. One of my favorite GOT scenes ever and he should absolutely win an Emmy for it alone.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Lol yeah I had a brain fart as I wrote that I guess, but maybe if we're lucky...

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The balls on Luke to bring a pig to dinner.i read his behaviour in the courtyard scene as anxiety that he might run into Aemond again, but maybe not

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It’s pretty wild that “training” involves having a real Morningstar swung with full power at your head

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

It was probably Aemond's idea

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

It’s pretty wild that “training” involves having a real Morningstar swung with full power at your head

I was actually thinking that too. If Aemond gets the upper hand he just stops short of actually cutting Sir Criston. Doesn't work that way with an iron ball on a chain. And they went out of their way to show that it had bone-shattering force behind it because it broke his shield.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Aw man, I forgot you're not supposed to read these threads between Tuesday and Saturday, brings me all the way back to 2011 again.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was actually thinking that too. If Aemond gets the upper hand he just stops short of actually cutting Sir Criston. Doesn't work that way with an iron ball on a chain. And they went out of their way to show that it had bone-shattering force behind it because it broke his shield.

Spoken like someone with absolutely zero practical real world experience with a morning star. You just pull on it

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ruddiger posted:

Honestly surprised a flying pig isn’t already on the banner of an ancient noble house in Westeros.

One of stannis' knights has one. Dunno the name but he shows up in theons twow chapter

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Rappaport posted:

Succession-dragon-crossover event when

Logan slowly walking to the board room, stumbles but gets helped up by Kendall as he goes to cast his vote for Shiv to take over the company, and a banger of a Nicholas Britell piano track plays in the background.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
rhaenys watching her husbands bloodline get hollowed out and pulled apart by silence is some quality visual metaphor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Very minor thing, but I loved the consternation in King Goon's voice when he declares,"There we are then, it's settled.......................... again!"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they did it just for the arrival of Rhaenyra’s kids.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

this is extremely context sensitive and would def get you twitter-banned

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Very minor thing, but I loved the consternation in King Goon's voice when he declares,"There we are then, it's settled.......................... again!"

i liked how he said "this old man". made me very emotional

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I hope the sea snake lives, because it's going to be awesome to see how he reacts. He and Daemon were pretty staunch allies and Corlys didn't really care about the bloodline so I'm guessing he largely ignores it

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

this is extremely context sensitive and would def get you twitter-banned

Eh, I thought so too. Edited just to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Roman Reigns posted:

Eh, I thought so too. Edited just to be safe.

It was a good joke and your edit shows that you understand that it was a good joke but are also cool.
:hai: