Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Playing a marketing stream on a screaming hot branch is a really bad idea no matter how much you're dying to show off the new AI features. It's just gonna be a bad look now matter how you explain it.

During their short run as Zulu though, it was interesting how their main obstacle wasn't that they couldn't build factories - they quickly got the tech for basic manufactures - but that they had no consumer base that could afford to buy anything they produced. Their initial furniture factory got capped at very low employment and zero profitability as a result. Presumably there was some reason they couldn't export to drive demand, cause they didn't consider it. This sort of thing is cool since it recognizes the underdiscussed half of colonialism - that it was just as much about securing captive export markets as securing cheap raw materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

:sickos:

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
The Republic of Guinea declared war on Austria-Hungary and then signed a white peace four hours later.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Huey Newton smiles from Heaven.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fray posted:

Playing a marketing stream on a screaming hot branch is a really bad idea no matter how much you're dying to show off the new AI features. It's just gonna be a bad look now matter how you explain it.

During their short run as Zulu though, it was interesting how their main obstacle wasn't that they couldn't build factories - they quickly got the tech for basic manufactures - but that they had no consumer base that could afford to buy anything they produced. Their initial furniture factory got capped at very low employment and zero profitability as a result. Presumably there was some reason they couldn't export to drive demand, cause they didn't consider it. This sort of thing is cool since it recognizes the underdiscussed half of colonialism - that it was just as much about securing captive export markets as securing cheap raw materials.

Sounds like they tried to go too far too fast. Maybe they needed to supply their people with less sophisticated goods first, then work up to furniture.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fray posted:

Presumably there was some reason they couldn't export to drive demand, cause they didn't consider it.

Haven't actually watched the stream, but don't you need boats and convoys to set up trade routes? Otherwise you're stuck trading with immediate neighbors and I imagine the Zulu's neighbors probably aren't much better able to buy expensive manufactured goods.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tomn posted:

Haven't actually watched the stream, but don't you need boats and convoys to set up trade routes? Otherwise you're stuck trading with immediate neighbors and I imagine the Zulu's neighbors probably aren't much better able to buy expensive manufactured goods.

And I don't expect the infrastructure makes for very good market access to their neighbors, either.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

new afrika in base game :sickos:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

I'm not familiar with the details of the stream but isn't there also a thing where "unrecognized" nations like most of Africa have diplomatic penalties trying to deal with European nations who do not see them as equals? So it might not just be a lack of boats issue but also a problem of any of the people who could afford to buy your goods don't legally recognize your ability to form trade agreements in the first place.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Gort posted:

Sounds like they tried to go too far too fast. Maybe they needed to supply their people with less sophisticated goods first, then work up to furniture.

Yeah, I’m wondering f they should have driven basic food prices into the ground first so people would have a little disposable income for other things.

They did mention they couldn’t make convoys yet, but their neighbors included Europeans whom I think they could have exported to. Maybe they were just playing fast and loose so they didn’t think of it.

The other thing from the Zulu segment is they immediately abolished their entire military to save money. I was really hoping an AI would see that and make them regret it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Another possibility: they got Streamer Brain, a condition wherein a sizeable portion of your brainpower gets dedicated to interacting with your audience, making you way sloppier than usual at whatever it is you're trying to do.

e: streaming a videogame is like being a driver and talking on your phone.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 11, 2022

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
There's a Prussia stream in an hour.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ilitarist posted:

a Prussia stream only Russian and Asian timezones can see is very funny, thx pdx

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ilitarist posted:

they should change prussia's color for the stream just to troll everyone

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I hope someone makes a WW2 mod for Vic3 so I can play HOI4 without playing HOI4. I try to play HOI4 like V3 anyway, and always lose because I've never fully comprehended how combat works, so I feel like it'd be perfect for me.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

well if there's any one thing you can rely on its modders turning one paradox game into a different one

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Vicky 3 steampunk mod here we come!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I haven’t watched todays stream but Reddit seems mad about it. Someone mentioned the AI UK overthrowing Queen Victoria and that sounds sweet - presumably should be an achievement for casting down the title character of the game.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

It was a pretty good stream. There's still idiots mad that somehow the Devs aren't playing optimally when stuck on max speed with minimal pausing and streamer tax, but they did fine and managed to form Germany with a few very risky maneuvers. Couple bugs, but no showstoppers and you could easily have full fun games with the state of the game shown. Main thing is there were a lot of revolutions and a bug that gave countries tons of infamy dealing with them.

It honestly reassures me how you can get by with minimal micromanaging if you want, even if they obviously could have been way stronger if they played on a slower speed.

Something I hadn't thought much about is that events look really good. Every single event shown has noticable effects for every option and none are just brain dead the same every playthrough. I haven't seen any that I would be too annoyed to have my gameplay interrupted with, except there was a liberalism spread event that was a bit spammy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Have to say, the bug with every flag being the orange flag with the Sikh symbol was pretty funny!

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I was only able to halfway pay attention to this one, but it seemed mostly fine. AI wargoal selection is maybe a bit wonky still, and a few minor bugs here and there, but overall it seemed solid enough. Glanced at reddit and the complaints there mostly seemed to be things that aren't problems. The Springtime of the Peoples event-line was interesting though I need to rewatch it later - I liked how it was more dynamically structured this time around.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Another possibility: they got Streamer Brain, a condition wherein a sizeable portion of your brainpower gets dedicated to interacting with your audience, making you way sloppier than usual at whatever it is you're trying to do.

e: streaming a videogame is like being a driver and talking on your phone.

I was genuinely curious if there was some mechanic related to their very low-tech/unrecognized start that prevented them, but yeah it was probably just too much stuff to juggle. And at that point I think their minds were largely on the cause of the industry deletion bug anyway.

Fray fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 11, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

DrSunshine posted:

I hope someone makes a WW2 mod for Vic3 so I can play HOI4 without playing HOI4. I try to play HOI4 like V3 anyway, and always lose because I've never fully comprehended how combat works, so I feel like it'd be perfect for me.
I feel like the fact that they've simplified war into fronts means you could potentially continue the game into at least the early Cold War, though potentially it might be possible to push it all the way past 2000 without feeling too weird. The latter really depends on how well you can model service economies.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like the fact that they've simplified war into fronts means you could potentially continue the game into at least the early Cold War, though potentially it might be possible to push it all the way past 2000 without feeling too weird. The latter really depends on how well you can model service economies.

I do wish they eventually add some system for asymmetrical, front-less conflicts. Because being able to model that would really make anything possible.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Anno posted:

I haven’t watched todays stream but Reddit seems mad about it.

Fray posted:

Glanced at reddit and the complaints there mostly seemed to be things that aren't problems.
Huh. You don't say.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
How did the NGF have better troops than the Austrians? They didn't touch barracks production methods a single time.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The real issues with going past 1945 is that you start to get into some seriously contentious political topics. I can only imagine the flame wars if PDX tried to depict the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and thats just the beginning.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ilitarist posted:

On one hand its nice that a practiced QA guy is playing but drat he could slow down just a little.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the QA guy plays exactly like me so I appreciate it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

AnEdgelord posted:

The real issues with going past 1945 is that you start to get into some seriously contentious political topics. I can only imagine the flame wars if PDX tried to depict the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and thats just the beginning.
Lol if you think this thread isn't going to turn into a politics posting minefield once the initial rush of game release wears off even with the current 1936 end date

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Arrath posted:

On one hand its nice that a practiced QA guy is playing but drat he could slow down just a little.

Yeah it was communicating basically nothing to me because of this. Ofaloaf was the best part, goons are the best part of PDX streams confirmed.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Yeah, a more recent Victoria-style game is not happening. Even WW2 games ignore social and most political aspects.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

People were specifically complaining about the slow pace of previous streams and not seeing much past the first few years of the game so this stream was in direct response to what fans wanted

wukkar posted:

How did the NGF have better troops than the Austrians? They didn't touch barracks production methods a single time.

Prussia starts with Professional Army and a decent barracks/pm setup to begin with. Austria most likely had a worse army law and never managed to change it. They also likely neglected their military in general, maybe since Prussia wasn't really being threatening up till they abruptly declared war with no preparation. Building and updating modern army is also expensive and Austria is a prime candidate for having way too many internal things to deal with to put a lot of effort into the army without a very good reason.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
Yeah, I am definitely only thinking mods here, and only from a 1836 start. Much less risk of controversies with a century or century and a half of divergences.

Though I suppose decolonization would have to be in, which would be a can of worms.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Is it me or is warfare way too abstract? I understand unit models are dead but watching numbers fight each other on a front is the exact opposite side of compelling

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

scaterry posted:

Is it me or is warfare way too abstract? I understand unit models are dead but watching numbers fight each other on a front is the exact opposite side of compelling

The weird thing is that the game actually simulates individual battles IIRC but it doesn't show them on the map at all

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Lol if you think this thread isn't going to turn into a politics posting minefield once the initial rush of game release wears off even with the current 1936 end date

In treating clothing as a 'finished' good, paradox is EXPLICITLY saying marburg school neo-kantianism is correct, this is bad because-

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

scaterry posted:

it’s not supposed to be the compelling part of the game, it’s a system for when diplomacy fails

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
War is the punishment for failing to get what you want through diplomacy.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Fellblade posted:

War is the punishment for failing to get what you want through diplomacy.

I wouldn’t put it this way tbh lol. Making things boring and not fun is bad game design. War is just not mean to be compelling - it’s a part of the game by necessity, and it gives you all the tools you need to influence it, but it’s not what you should be spending your time on, so there’s just not the options TO spend your time on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, I am definitely only thinking mods here, and only from a 1836 start. Much less risk of controversies with a century or century and a half of divergences.

Though I suppose decolonization would have to be in, which would be a can of worms.

I bet they could do it in a hands-off way by encouraging modding as much as possible, and adding in all sorts of systems through later development, that might not necessarily map onto the 19th century, but could be used easily for a Cold War or Modern Era mod, and saying "We're not saying do it, but if someone wanted to..."