Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I love all of them but I love this most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
it really tells a story too. the gray cat (jack) seems to think he's best friends with the white cat (niko) even though niko is at best indifferent to jack's existence and at times openly annoyed by it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you have someone assisting to cat herd for those? Because setting up cat shots solo is loving impossible in my experience.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

Do you have someone assisting to cat herd for those? Because setting up cat shots solo is loving impossible in my experience.

my approach is that a lot of patience will lead to a little luck. for the one with the cat jumping, that was done with a tripod, a toy and a remote trigger, but the others are just a matter of luck

studio photography is a bit different, and i'm very fortunate that we have one very cooperative cat. you can put him wherever and he'll just sit there. as long as it isnt outside i guess

this one i took and i have no idea what to do with it. i can't share it publically because it probably wouldnt look good for the cat shelter photographer to be taking these kinds of photos

and here are our cats

the one on the left is a huge rear end in a top hat and sometimes cooperative, the one on the right is perfectly cooperative, and the one in the middle is an easily startled doofus and it took hours of work over three days to get one usable portrait

e:

i am also looking for criticism, i have a lot of trouble getting colors right in the studio especially when i'm using a flash

baw fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 3, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Fruit Bat by B. B., on Flickr

Posing by B. B., on Flickr

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
[img]https://i.imgur.com/8YrtiYDh.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/cbWUxwgh.jpeg[/img]

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
It's been derpy dog after derpy dog this month.

_DSC6787 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

_DSC7706 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Caught her doing it again.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Not my pet but I really like this one I got last weekend

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

qirex posted:

Not my pet but I really like this one I got last weekend

I love this.

A few recent fuzzy faces for y'all:

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
My sister's cat, Monty. He's in pretty good nick for a 15-year-old...

P1015429_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P6305542_a by Dan Packer, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Poppy, like most amorphous grey blobs, can be real hard to photograph. When she's looking good tho, she's looking good.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Megabound posted:

Poppy, like most amorphous grey blobs, can be real hard to photograph. When she's looking good tho, she's looking good.

Goddamn that is a lovely cat you should take more pictures of her. I've really grown to love photographing gray cats. Both white and black fur can really easily end up becoming completely black or completely white without any texture, but with grey fur you can usually end up having some kind of contrast and texture. I could see the long hair making it a bit tough (probably not a coincidence that Chandoha's first cat was a gray shorthair.)

I love this photo because you can see the texture of the fur throughout, whereas if there were any black or white patches that woulda been burned

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks Baw. She is and I'll pass it on. I'm always trying to get photos of her but she seems allergic to good lighting and doing things that aren't sleeping, and when she's sleeping in the shade she becomes an amorphous blob. I will persevere! I've been really enjoying following your evolution as a cat photographer. Your pre and post Chandoha learnings are plainly visible on your photos and they are a joy.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Now that I've been able to travel around a bit more, I've gotten obsessed with Marianna Zampieri, a cat photographer out of venice. She has a really good way of getting the cat's eyes to stand out even if they're backlit using built-in or top mounted flashes. I've been playing around with it and you have to find the sweet spot between getting the cat's eyes illuminated while not making it look super obvious that a flash was involved (and i think b&w does a good job of hiding a flash.)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's an excellent tip, and I just recently got a flash I can adjust power on, I'll have to give it a go.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I dug a 300mm/4 super Takumar from the back corner of a storage cupboard and tried playing with it, though the MFD of 7 meters made things awkward. I added a macro tube to bring that down at the cost of infinity focus and it worked out much better.

Here we have a catte at 300mm and f4.5:

_DSC6577 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

peek by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

scrunch by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

D750, Tokina AT-X AF SD 80-200 F2.8 at 80mm / F4.5

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Caper

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Marwood

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Arrow, after the dog in Harry Nilsson's song

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
My sister is dogsitting...

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Zaz by B. B., on Flickr

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First my apologies for bumping this old thread without any new photos (I have ones from before to try atone for my sins: https://photos.app.goo.gl/46R6K93maTYfRXdJ7 )

I haven't shot in a while and the rescue I work with likes what I've done before, and wants me to do some portraits of some dogs in February at the next event. I wanted to take it up a notch and rather than just shoot natural or with a Yongnuo speedlight on my shoe I upgraded my lighting setup to a Flashpoint AD300 and with the softbox and stand kit.

I'm going to go to a meetup this weekend and have told people 'hey I'll be there with some gear I want to learn, if you want some photos taken I'll do it for free just please be patient' so I can get a good practice session or two in.

It's Florida so it'll be pretty bright out anyway, and the time will be close to noon which obviously isn't ideal. I've been trying to ingest some knowledge from people doing a dog shoot outside to at least giving me a working basis, but wanted to run past people here as this is a pretty chunky thread full of people who've had more experience with this stuff than me.

A consensus seemed to be to expose (or maybe a stop under) without flash for the environments highlights which tends to be how I work anyway, then in aperture priority or manual and some flash power on the subject using TTL should be OK to compensate for the fact the subjects might move around a fair bit. My girlfriend will hand carry the strobe if the lightstand approach doesn't work. I've never used HSS as that hasn't been an option for me, but it seems like enabling this might be inevitable due to the shutter speed likely exceeding 250 if I'm around F4-5.6 and ISO100 (base). Maybe close my aperture further than that? Basset hounds have pretty long faces afterall... The only drawback is loss of power right? That shouldn't be too huge a deal given the strobe itself, but I guess I'll find out. I'll be switching between my two main lenses - an 18-35mm 1.8 and 50-150mm 2.8 (both DX), although I have a 11-18 I could use too to get some silly pics close up but I've never had a ton of luck with that effect in the past which is a shame.

Anything I'm majorly overlooking? I'll have my dog with me at least so I can use him as a guinea pig to get started, but hoping to get some nice photos for people they can share for Xmas etc.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

King Sexy
Jul 30, 2004

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Two fools:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Lol this owns.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

35mm Canon AE1, 50mm lens with macro filter

Canon 10D, can't remember which lens, these are old rear end pics lol

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 2, 2023

Shart Carbuncle