Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Levantine posted:

Like, I don't care how much of a "Conservative" you are, how does an attack like this land as anything other than ghoulish? Do these people really not have opinions of their own anymore?

When you are old and looking back at the hardship you have passed through, you have two options: to work to ensure that others do not suffer as you did; or to work to ensure that others suffer as much or more than you, and rail against anything that might indicate that other, better ways are possible.

These attacks don’t land as ghoulish because the GOP are ghouls, and since Reagan have been preaching that ghoulishness is the only true morality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Levantine posted:

Like, I don't care how much of a "Conservative" you are, how does an attack like this land as anything other than ghoulish? Do these people really not have opinions of their own anymore?

Legit the idea that a father, especially, would care about his son and say anything but "Get in shape or I'm coming over there with my belt and I'm using the buckle side this time" is alien to these people.
EDIT:

skeleton warrior posted:

When you are old and looking back at the hardship you have passed through, you have two options: to work to ensure that others do not suffer as you did; or to work to ensure that others suffer as much or more than you, and rail against anything that might indicate that other, better ways are possible.

These attacks don’t land as ghoulish because the GOP are ghouls, and since Reagan have been preaching that ghoulishness is the only true morality.

Also this. The GOP doesn't think that this is "Us, the horrible ghouls vs the tender-hearted liberals who care about people"; they think that progressives and anyone left of American center-right are just the same as them, just with a different core group.

Neito fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 11, 2022

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Levantine posted:

Telling your child "I love you" isn't something all conservatives support.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neito posted:

Legit the idea that a father, especially, would care about his son and say anything but "Get in shape or I'm coming over there with my belt and I'm using the buckle side this time" is alien to these people.
EDIT:

Also this. The GOP doesn't think that this is "Us, the horrible ghouls vs the tender-hearted liberals who care about people"; they think that progressives and anyone left of American center-right are just the same as them, just with a different core group.

true, its also a mix of "only me and my kins suffering is real" mixed with "tough love"/cycles of abuse mixed with qanon horse poo poo.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think it’s simpler than they don’t know how to love their kids. They just have an irrational hatred for democrats so you could literally say anything and it would be considered a bad thing. I don’t know why they even bother, all they have to do is put up a sign that says democrats bad. That’s all you literally need, none of these fancy words stuff.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Just to sprinkle more poo poo on top of the poo poo pile of why conservatives don’t understand it’s okay to love your kids there’s also a homophobic/toxic masculinity aspect as well where they think telling your kid you love them/are too nice to them will turn them into a dreaded LGBTQ

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Invalid Validation posted:

I think it’s simpler than they don’t know how to love their kids. They just have an irrational hatred for democrats so you could literally say anything and it would be considered a bad thing. I don’t know why they even bother, all they have to do is put up a sign that says democrats bad. That’s all you literally need, none of these fancy words stuff.

Yeah, but you have to vary the message up so that people don't get bored. The same tones are there, the same notes are hit, but the variation is just enough to get people to keep tuning in to figure out who specifically needs to be hated at this very moment. I feel like there's also something there with needing to know who the specific hated outgroup is on any given day in order to fit in to that social circle.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also a lot of people have a cognitive dissonance about drug users and addiction, where someone they don’t know is a bad person who deserves it, except when it’s their kid or sibling or friend then it’s unfair and the consequences shouldn’t happen to them.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

The whole smear is pretty god drat mask-off. Only way to love your kids is beat them black and blue with a belt to prove your manliness I guess.

Conservatives think that If your kids don’t succeed as grandkid-makers and wealth-growing property inheritors then why even love them?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trumps newest vid about how manly and Alpha he is.
Hopefully Walken didnt ok his voice being used in it and Trump gets sued.

https://twitter.com/PapiTrumpo/status/1579633964020817920

e: thought people were stating he made it at first, he just reposted it on Truth

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 11, 2022

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

duck.exe posted:

Conservatives think that If your kids don’t succeed as grandkid-makers and wealth-growing property inheritors then why even love them?

Kids are an investment, duh. Honestly I believe a lot of boomers, if it was allowed, would’ve sold off their children to workhouses for a lump sum if it seemed like their “investment” wasn’t returning the dividend they wanted

selec
Sep 6, 2003

skeleton warrior posted:

Agree on all of this, which is why I loving hate Joe Biden and his hypocritical drug addicted relatives

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

OgNar posted:

Trumps newest vid about how manly and Alpha he is.
Hopefully Walken didnt ok his voice being used in it and Trump gets sued.

https://twitter.com/PapiTrumpo/status/1579633964020817920

e: thought people were stating he made it at first, he just reposted it on Truth

They all want him to gently caress them, don't they? It all comes off as so horny.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

bobjr posted:

Also a lot of people have a cognitive dissonance about drug users and addiction, where someone they don’t know is a bad person who deserves it, except when it’s their kid or sibling or friend then it’s unfair and the consequences shouldn’t happen to them.

Unless you're Scott Adams, in which cause when it's your kid you have no choice but to kill them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beantown posted:

So apparently one of Hannity's bombshells last night was...Biden telling his troubled son that he loves him and he needs to get some help?

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1579648866122883077?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1579913493494407168

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hannity is all in on the Fetterman is a Trust Fund Baby hand he's been dealt right now and his callers are having a cow over it. I know that hypocrisy is a non starter for these types but Trump was handed a million dollars and told to go make his way in this harsh, cruel world then went around stiffing people and ripping them off. I think they're a little worried about Fetterman, based on the amount of time they spend on him.

I heard he has TATTOOS!

And if overhearing coworkers talk at work is anything to go by (and sometimes it is), Trump is still a "business man" who "didn't play their games" and then "the media" did something like reporting on the things he said and wrote. You know, real hatchet job poo poo like re-tweeting his words and re-airing his speeches. Even though it seems that the right leaning types I know wish they had a better champion, they still seem to respect what he embodied overall. Most of what I can gleen from it is based on a rightful distrust of government and wishing for a true outsider, which I can relate to up to a point, but when we get to the "he tells it like it is" part, is where I always check out because that's the one thing he definitely doe NOT do and every rally he holds contains a new made up fabrication.

One thing I'll cede to his apologists was the way he went about absolutely destroying the 12 or 16 primary opponents he faced (who I all hate) by being willing to get himself even further down into the evil infused poo poo mud from which Republicans are hatched than the others ever though was even a little bit viable and considered political suicide to even try. He considerably lowered the bar for a party that had already buried it in the sewer and was rewarded for being unapologetic about it, laying waste on after the other to scumbags who thought it was "their turn" and showing them what a true scumbag looks like.

It was some trued double dog ya poo poo and truly the result of decades of RWM normalizing this kind of poo poo.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I looked up the Fetterman "scandal" and got to this part and laughed out loud:

quote:

The most expensive lot is worth $41,500 and the least valuable is a $700 parcel.

Oh no! A $700 parcel!

And apparently all of them are adjacent to his home, I think it's a parking lot and some grass.

They're making it out like he's got a huge real-estate portfolio when the reality is that it'd be like if your driveway was technically a separate parcel and you didn't report it in your finances because obviously that's part of your house.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I heard he has TATTOOS!

Since it's not known in general: Fetterman has tattoos on his arms - on his left is the zip code of the city he was mayor of, and on his right he added the date of every time someone died violently during his tenure, to note how they will always matter to him, and can speak on all of them impromptu.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Since it's not known in general: Fetterman has tattoos on his arms - on his left is the zip code of the city he was mayor of, and on his right he added the date of every time someone died violently during his tenure, to note how they will always matter to him, and can speak on all of them impromptu.

Huh. That is actually pretty cool.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I think they're a little worried about Fetterman, based on the amount of time they spend on him.

Well yeah, that's been just about the worst of the Senate races for them and a likely flip, Oz has been polling further behind than just about any other GOP candidate (haven't checked recently though).

You'd think it would be loving Herschel Walker given how thoroughly awful he is, but no.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^It's still Georgia^^^

And, for whatever reason, SEC states really love them some college football and anyone who was ever good at is automatically good/smart. See: Tubberville, Tommy. Bonus points for the GOP nominee because they can find a black candidate willing to talk the same bullshit. See: Palin, Sarah. He's black! She's a woman! Certainly all those voters out there vote entirely based on demographics just like I do and act as a monolith.

I know that I personally will only vote for bisexual white middle class males with fine arts degrees and that anyone who falls in those categories automatically receives my vote! Even if they suck!

I remember getting into a weird FB argument with an old co worker about a gay female candidate or something and it was automatically assumed that I had to like and vote for them. I tried to point out that's not how it works and that what people like me basically stand for is not automatic disqualification based on those traits and that gay women can still suck and be monsters. But she didn't seem to understand.

I forget who it was she was on about.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I looked up the Fetterman "scandal" and got to this part and laughed out loud:

Oh no! A $700 parcel!

And apparently all of them are adjacent to his home, I think it's a parking lot and some grass.

They're making it out like he's got a huge real-estate portfolio when the reality is that it'd be like if your driveway was technically a separate parcel and you didn't report it in your finances because obviously that's part of your house.

A huge real estate portfolio you say? I don't see how that could lead to anyone succeeding in politics.

Has anyone ever made it to the top as a real estate mogul?

Drawing a blank here.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 12, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zwabu posted:

Well yeah, that's been just about the worst of the Senate races for them and a likely flip, Oz has been polling further behind than just about any other GOP candidate (haven't checked recently though).

You'd think it would be loving Herschel Walker given how thoroughly awful he is, but no.

Looking at fivethirtyeight the race is actually getting closer in PA. Fetterman is still at +8 average but Oz has been gaining ground, especially since mid August when the race was much more lopsided.

Georgia for the record has Warnock at a +4, but that race has actually loosened a bit, Walker has fallen in the polls recently.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

duck.exe posted:

The playbook conservatives are running is the same one they ran against Bill Clinton's gently caress-up brother. Conservatives view children as property, and so if your child or any member of your family does drugs or is a criminal then they think it's a reflection on you. The Hunter Biden business stuff does actually meet the level of something that deserves scrutiny, but conservatives tip their hand by going after his daughter too (stealing her diary and publishing it). They tip their hand by going after Hunter's struggle with addiction. They can't help themselves.

They have a fundamentally eugenic view of the world. If a criminal is in your family then your whole family is rotten. They also think it's fair game because the press went after Jared and Ivanka who were literally directly working in the Trump administration. They don't see it as a meaningful distinction, for some reason, that none of Biden's kids are anywhere near the White House. Biden has kids with problems, and that means Biden is a problem.

None of this poo poo is going to stick. GOP continues to do such insane PR for Biden that it's probably the only thing that could cement his re-election. According to conservatives, Joe Biden needs to be stopped because he's gonna redistribute all the wealth and loves his kids. He's also a hypocrite for funding a bunch of police poo poo or something. I don't understand how they can be so tone deaf to their own messaging, but I think 8 years of a black president named Obama made them extremely lazy. They got very used to the otherization being built-in. They've forgotten how to actually go after Democratic politicians. They're dragging up poo poo that ended up not being disqualifying even in the Dem primary. It's not gonna work in any general election.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

bobjr posted:

For example Joseph Robinette Biden who believes in hugs and I love yous and 5-figure checks that hopefully will go to fancy rehab and not to smoking crack in a float tank for his drug addicted son, but if anyone else's kid is caught with a rock why they oughta go to prison for 30 years and hey jack is there any way we can chemically cauterize black kids' brains to stop them from getting high?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

For example Joseph Robinette Biden who believes in hugs and I love yous and 5-figure checks that hopefully will go to fancy rehab and not to smoking crack in a float tank for his drug addicted son, but if anyone else's kid is caught with a rock why they oughta go to prison for 30 years and hey jack is there any way we can chemically cauterize black kids' brains to stop them from getting high?

What do you call it? The American Dream!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

jfc a billion dollars

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1580285851543957504

"During the trial in Texas, he testified he couldn’t afford any judgment over $2 million. Free Speech Systems has filed for bankruptcy protection. But an economist testified in the Texas proceeding that Jones and his company were worth as much as $270 million."

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 12, 2022

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
There are multiple far more mainstream sources that can spew white supremacist Christian authoritarianism, how useful even is Jones outside of the spectacle?
The billionaires who flood politics with dark money could finance his legal fees without batting an eye but at this point they really don't need to.

Guess we'll find out!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's a fair question. He used to be on the fringes but his stuff is pretty much mainstream GOP thought now. Tucker Carlson does a lot of the same poo poo these days but on an actual network. I think that makes Jones way more expendable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There ain't a hole deep enough for Alex Jones.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

kik2dagroin posted:

There are multiple far more mainstream sources that can spew white supremacist Christian authoritarianism, how useful even is Jones outside of the spectacle?

Alex Jones is a lot like Rush Limbaugh, in that he largely pioneered a new form of media, but the advent of social media and Trump meant that he essentially got replaced by younger, cheaper, more extreme versions of himself.

In some cases, the "spout insane conspiracy theories" gimmick got borrowed by (relatively) "mainstream" conservatives like Tucker Carlson, so between Tucker telling everyone to tan their balls and Qanon/Truth Social screaming that the election was stolen by Jewish Space Lasers, Alex Jones just isn't that relevant any more.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 13, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

azflyboy posted:

Alex Jones is a lot like Rush Limbaugh, in that he largely pioneered a new form of media, but the advent of social media and Trump meant that he essentially got replaced by younger, cheaper, more extreme versions of himself.

In some cases, the "spout insane conspiracy theories" gimmick got borrowed by (relatively) "mainstream" conservatives like Tucker Carlson, so between Tucker telling everyone to tan their balls and Qanon/Truth Social screaming that the election was stolen by Jewish Space Lasers, Alex Jones just isn't that relevant any more.

With regard to that thought, my mind goes back to that Hollywood Squares-style "9 angry comic book nerds who hate women, gays, and people of colour" stream Jones sat in on for some reason earlier this year. Jones was ostensibly the guest of honour and center square, and yet simultaneously the second-least relevant person on screen after a guy who's claim to fame is that he's Steven Crowder's coffee intern in terms of the audience of young chuddy nerd kids tuning in to see the extravaganza.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So if Alex Jones is such old news, then what's the point of financially destroying him at this point?

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Star Man posted:

So if Alex Jones is such old news, then what's the point of financially destroying him at this point?

making that son of a bitch suffer for what he did to those parents

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The families he has harmed would like him to stop.

Also, I disagree on Alex Jones being irrelevant. He still launders absolute batshit garbage that will then be repeated by a chain of slightly more reputable outlets until it hits the mainstream. He was a social media pioneer and still has a lot of reach.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Besides making him give the parents the money he made from their misery.
This could likely give others the ability to sue other shitheads. Which is why MTG is all in a huff about it.
Since she likes to follow kids around and harass them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

OgNar posted:

Besides making him give the parents the money he made from their misery.
This could likely give others the ability to sue other shitheads. Which is why MTG is all in a huff about it.
Since she likes to follow kids around and harass them.

This is sadly not likely. Alex didn't get ruined because the legal system pursued justice. When handed the rigged game every one else of his status uses to evade consequences of a just society he started chewing on the pieces and making GBS threads on the board.

Instead of allowing the system to make a mockery of itself through being useless against the elite, he directly made a mockery of it himself. He broke decorum.

Alex didn't just refuse to participate, he refused to even let his lawyers participate.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Neito posted:

More specifically they think the liberals and those WOKE LEFTISTS are just pretending to care and are being performative because OBVIOUSLY everyone is just like them. I mean if those people actually believed that stuff that'd be silly, right?

It's part of why you had the DeSantis stunt with Martha's Vineyard. They fully expected/believed that THE LIBS would be revealed to be massive hypocrites which is why they had to keep lying about what happened afterwards.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Taerkar posted:

More specifically they think the liberals and those WOKE LEFTISTS are just pretending to care and are being performative because OBVIOUSLY everyone is just like them. I mean if those people actually believed that stuff that'd be silly, right?

It's part of why you had the DeSantis stunt with Martha's Vineyard. They fully expected/believed that THE LIBS would be revealed to be massive hypocrites which is why they had to keep lying about what happened afterwards.

Pretty much, yeah. The idea of actual empathy for an outgroup is foreign to these people. I once described it as if everyone else had a feeling known as "Blizmort", and everyone kept talking about how important blizmort was, and how feeling blizmort made you a functioning person. You'd probably just think I was loving with you.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Like a lot of people don’t understand just how much Sandy Hook parents lives are hell because of Alex Jones. You had parents talking about how people were pissing on their kids graves and threatening to dig up their kids bodies to prove they weren’t real because of his false flag bullshit. He 100% deserves to be destroyed wether he’s relevant or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There's a reason they refer to basic human decency and general empathy as "virtue signaling" and "woke". The cult of selfishness doesn't care about the origins of such phrases, only how they can be used.

Ben Shapiro straight up published a rant about neologisms and how the "wokescolds" use them

Specifically about the use of "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun being "made up"

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 13, 2022