Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was going to make a Mumm-Ra joke, but aren't they already going to do a live action Thundercats, or did I just dream that?

WB announced in March 2021 that Adam Wingard was attached as director and co-writer on the project but there's been no news since.

There's also going to be a live action He-Man film produced by Netflix which was due to start shooting a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Thundercracker posted:

How is Daredevil having all this premarital sex? I thought he was hardcore catholic

and how can a lawyer break the law?!?!

https://twitter.com/paulduanefilm/status/1578334301904674817?s=20&t=ZR0hQSVVCj32v_xiX1GHEQ

but she hulk fights incels?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Alan being Alan; I get that the companies hosed him and he's probably right that our society is probably emotionally stunted from people just wanting to consume stuff from their childhood. And I don't really know what the point I have for this

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Alan Moore is a blowhard that did some cool poo poo decades ago, not holding an opinion on his opinions is probably the way to go

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it's OK to like this stuff and still acknowledge that he's right

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eh. I'm not sure I'd say he's wrong, but I also don't really think he's right. There's some truth in what he says, but he's also kind of a grouch unable to see why people might enjoy this stuff outside of arrested development.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
To be fair, Batman is really fascist.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

what's his forums username?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Aren't the fascists the ones bemoaning how woke everything's become?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

Aren't the fascists the ones bemoaning how woke everything's become?

Yes, because

https://twitter.com/HNTurtledove/status/1548737693202296832?s=20&t=PC3hzjLphHycM6jOBFfMcg

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
So Wakanda Forever making a billion dollars pushes us further towards fascism?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Err I think you'll find Go Woke Go Broke *ignores all evidence to the contrary* :smug:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

So Wakanda Forever making a billion dollars pushes us further towards fascism?

A little bit? I'm it's not like the NAACP will be seeing a big chunk of that billion.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

A little bit? I'm it's not like the NAACP will be seeing a big chunk of that billion.

Moore's argument is that the obsession with comic book movies lines up with fascism's appeal to a simpler (whiter) time and the Black Panther series is afrofuturistic. How is that circle squared?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
you can make an argument that superhero stories, since they support a status quo are basically stories about cops and making sure nothing ever changes, but this is a terrible argument and you should go back to CD instead

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I would have thought Turtledove would have been a soft chud, not a eine reich, eine volk, eine Trump style but a "there are two genders" and " you can't say something without a woman with hairy legs and green hair being offended" kind. Especially due to some if the messages in his recent books.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
wait was that tweet supposed to be bad? I thought it was just describing good things?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

How is Daredevil having all this premarital sex? I thought he was hardcore catholic
Most US Catholics are pro-choice and pro-gay marriage and pro-conception. The guilt is real, and the church itself is hosed up, but American Catholics aren't really doing promise rings and poo poo, and are more politically split in general the Evangelicals.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Soonmot posted:

wait was that tweet supposed to be bad? I thought it was just describing good things?

It is good but it's from a guy who is best known for fictional alt history with stories such as "what if someone went back in time and gave confederate soldiers modern military weapons" so Turtledove is a land of contrasts

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Most US Catholics are pro-choice and pro-gay marriage and pro-conception. The guilt is real, and the church itself is hosed up, but American Catholics aren't really doing promise rings and poo poo, and are more politically split in general the Evangelicals.

Also, it's Matt. Odds are excellent that boinking Jen set in motion a chain of events that will ruin his life.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

I would have thought Turtledove would have been a soft chud, not a eine reich, eine volk, eine Trump style but a "there are two genders" and " you can't say something without a woman with hairy legs and green hair being offended" kind. Especially due to some if the messages in his recent books.

I haven't been reading his recent books, but the through-line in his older books is pretty much abusing/oppressing/discriminating against people is BAD.

Soonmot posted:

Tweet is good and is describing good things.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Everyone posted:

I haven't been reading his recent books, but the through-line in his older books is pretty much abusing/oppressing/discriminating against people is BAD.

Tweet is good and is describing good things.

The last book of his I read was about if the Werewolves were effective after ww2 and that caused the allies to pull out if Europe early because there was antiwar protests. This let the nazis come back. It was clearly about anti iraq war protests.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

twistedmentat posted:

The last book of his I read was about if Werewolves were effective after ww2
(...)
It was clearly about anti iraq war protests.

I'm sure this makes sense in context but without having read this book, this is a great post

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It is good but it's from a guy who is best known for fictional alt history with stories such as "what if someone went back in time and gave confederate soldiers modern military weapons" so Turtledove is a land of contrasts

Kind of, but in this case the "someones" end up being lying white supremacist fanatics to the point that Robert E. Lee becomes an abolitionist and ends up pushing through legislation in the Confederate Congress to begin freeing slaves..

Characterizing The Guns of the South as "pro-slavery" is false.

XboxPants posted:

I'm sure this makes sense in context but without having read this book, this is a great post

The main thing I'm getting from this is that Jack Russell was a Nazi?

Also... Jack Russell as in Jack Russell terrier... gently caress...

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Soonmot posted:

you can make an argument that superhero stories, since they support a status quo are basically stories about cops and making sure nothing ever changes, but this is a terrible argument and you should go back to CD instead

I mean, even in what would be the 'wokest' superhero movie, Black Panther, they essentially whoopsied a villain into having correct opinions and had the unelected monarch put him back in his place (after also making sure he did something heinous so that people wouldn't support him any more).

I don't think the argument is as terrible as you think it is

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Everyone posted:

Kind of, but in this case the "someones" end up being lying white supremacist fanatics to the point that Robert E. Lee becomes an abolitionist and ends up pushing through legislation in the Confederate Congress to begin freeing slaves..

Characterizing The Guns of the South as "pro-slavery" is false.

I didn't, I was making a joke because "treat everyone as equal" isn't something you would expect a boomer who writes alt history to say, especially if you only know of his books by their titles and cover art.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kaedric posted:

I mean, even in what would be the 'wokest' superhero movie, Black Panther, they essentially whoopsied a villain into having correct opinions and had the unelected monarch put him back in his place (after also making sure he did something heinous so that people wouldn't support him any more).

What "whoopsie"?

The issue that Killmonger was right, in terms of whether Wakanda should be isolationist, but far too brutal in his methods.

I mean was T'Challa yelling at spirit of his father "you were wrong!" too subtle?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kaedric posted:

we've rehashed this argument a million times, killmonger was never about Black liberation, he just coopted that language to implement Black imperialisms. Nakia is the real hero of Black Panther as she was out there actually DOING poo poo in order to help Black folks outside Wakanda. It's her idea to open Wakanda to the rest of the world in order to act as an example others can follow. Armed revolution may by part of that, probably will need to be part of that, but she actually has a plan beyond that.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kaedric posted:

unelected monarch

There is an entire scene in which the various tribes of Wakanda are invited to step forward and express whether or not they approve of and officially endorse the new monarch.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It also has nothing to do with Moore's argument.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Bleck posted:

There is an entire scene in which the various tribes of Wakanda are invited to step forward and express whether or not they approve of and officially endorse the new monarch.

I think they meant "elected" in a democratic sense. T'Challa and Killmonger were both legitimate monarchs (in that both had valid claims to the throne and acquired it according to the method prescribed by Wakandan law) but neither was a democratically elected leader.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also Captain Marvel was pro-military :downs:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Falcon and Winter Soldier literally had them fighting a group that was delivering food and healthcare to displaced refugees.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think they meant "elected" in a democratic sense. T'Challa and Killmonger were both legitimate monarchs (in that both had valid claims to the throne and acquired it according to the method prescribed by Wakandan law) but neither was a democratically elected leader.

I get that, it's just... I don't know, I just finished watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I'm all high on thinking about whether I'd prefer a socially-progressive fascist state or a regressive and corrupt democracy. Black Panther film discourse also focuses on how It Is Bad To Have A Monarchy, but this focus is nearly always from people who live in a non-functioning and oppressive society that vigorously describes itself as democratic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Socially-progressive fascism is an oxymoron

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

You'd think the same could be said of a racist, misogynist and queerphobic democracy, and yet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bleck posted:

I get that, it's just... I don't know, I just finished watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I'm all high on thinking about whether I'd prefer a socially-progressive fascist state or a regressive and corrupt democracy. Black Panther film discourse also focuses on how It Is Bad To Have A Monarchy, but this focus is nearly always from people who live in a non-functioning and oppressive society that vigorously describes itself as democratic.

Yang Wenli wins from beyond the grave because after Reinhard beats him he thinks hey I’m bored maybe Yang was right I’ll abolish this monarchy after all

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Bleck posted:

You'd think the same could be said of a racist, misogynist and queerphobic democracy, and yet.

Turns out most democracies, aren't

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

What "whoopsie"?

The issue that Killmonger was right, in terms of whether Wakanda should be isolationist, but far too brutal in his methods.

Jaxyon posted:

Falcon and Winter Soldier literally had them fighting a group that was delivering food and healthcare to displaced refugees.

This was kind of my point. They have villains with correct and sympathetic goals, and then go 'oh poo poo but then why would our superhero fight them?' and make them do something horrible so that the audience can sleep easy knowing that our heroes were in the right. That's the 'whoopsie'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Black Panther is a fairy tale, and also one that doesn't give us a lot of insight into the day to day running of the country besides the following things:

--There is a council of tribal delegates who seem to have a lot of power
--There is a system to overthrow the current monarch, and there is no divine blood right to being the monarch

When Killmonger takes over, he:

--Rules as an autocrat, only really conferring with the tribe that literally serves as border security and dress like the police
--He destroys the method for power to be passed down

The whole the film is pro-monarchy stuff has always been a really silly criticism and one that begs the question of what real world harm are you afraid the movie is doing?