Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I figured this was a stone soup kinda thing but without the stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Any Fellow Ode people looking to grab the new Gen 2 burrs? I bought some for a friend but just found out they already upgraded to SSP. I also already have SSP so don't need these little guys. They're brand new! Feel free to PM me.

I'm also curious if anyone in here has compared Gen 2 to SSP? I love the SSP and at this point I'm just not going to switch, but I've been hearing great things about the Gen 2 and wonder if they get you most of the way there for way less $.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

grahm posted:

Any Fellow Ode people looking to grab the new Gen 2 burrs? I bought some for a friend but just found out they already upgraded to SSP. I also already have SSP so don't need these little guys. They're brand new! Feel free to PM me.

I'm also curious if anyone in here has compared Gen 2 to SSP? I love the SSP and at this point I'm just not going to switch, but I've been hearing great things about the Gen 2 and wonder if they get you most of the way there for way less $.

I just ordered a Fellow Ode, but it isn't here yet. I was planning on getting the g2 burrs at some point. I'll send you a PM.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bandire posted:

I ended up buying a Niche Zero for myself for my birthday. I kind of bought it to replace my old Capresso for pour over, but I was going to experiment with it for espresso too. After dialing it in the first acceptable shot I pulled was better than anything I've managed with my Sette in the last year and a half.

What profile are you using on the Decent?

I couldn’t get an acceptable shot with my niche until I used extractamundo dos from the Discord/Diaspora.

Also how did you calibrate the Niche? Twist until you can’t possibly tighten any further and move the calibration dot there?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I have a recent Gaggia, not a Decent. I'd love a Decent, but can't justify spending that much money yet. I'd like something nicer with a PID and pre-infusion, but $3500+ is probably overkill for me. I am also lazy and just use my frothing pitcher, so I'm eyeballing a premium single boiler like an ECM Puristika or maybe a Lelit Victoria.

I didn't actually calibrate the Niche. Are you supposed to out of the box? I did have to tighten the center bolt as it kept wobbling loose.

Edit: Apparently you do, because mine was a fair bit off calibration. Did this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rFmALZJpe8

Bandire fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 7, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hoffman reviews some AliExpress coffee knickknacks. The amber glass looks great! You can probably get a lot of value if you avoid anything electronic.

https://youtu.be/xs9F6-ldjDk

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I find that if I forgo the Hoffman Blooming Swirl part of the Switch technique, and rather use a little more water to ensure all the grounds are covered for the bloom, I don't get a stalled out drawdown. It's still slow, but just normal for the Switch slow. My guess is that my grinder is spitting out quite a bit of fines, and if I swirl I just ensure all of the filter gets clogged.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

thotsky posted:

I find that if I forgo the Hoffman Blooming Swirl part of the Switch technique, and rather use a little more water to ensure all the grounds are covered for the bloom, I don't get a stalled out drawdown. It's still slow, but just normal for the Switch slow. My guess is that my grinder is spitting out quite a bit of fines, and if I swirl I just ensure all of the filter gets clogged.

That will change quite a lot from coffee to coffee. I remember my old Encore used to have a similar issue though. My newer grinder produces less fines and seems to have little trouble in that department unless I'm brewing an Ethiopian or some other coffee notorious for generating lots of fines.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Ethiopian is my favorite, so that could be it as well, but I had it happen with a bunch of coffees now.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This feels well outside the thread's purview, but I figured it's worth a shot.

My sister is way less into coffee than I am, but she's apparently starting a journey into black coffee and she's trying out different styles. The machine she bought is this:

Hamilton Beach Scoop Single Serve Coffee Maker, Fast Brewing, Stainless Steel (49981A)

So my first impression is not overly positive, but hey, gotta start somewhere. I'm guessing the machine is expecting standard drip-sized grounds, since they seem to be going for maximum convenience here. I do see one stray mention of espresso in the description, which throws me way off, but in light of all the other evidence I'm basically choosing to ignore that.

So I guess I'm basically just posting this here in case anyone has had experience with one of these and can offer some advice. If not, I'll probably just buy her the best drip grind I can find.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

That Hamilton Beach looks kind of similar to the Bunn MCU I bought back in 2015 with a little pressurized brew chamber. The Bunn was intended to replace a busted Keurig since it could also do pods, but I ended up using the ground coffee attachment way more.

That kind of machine can make a decent single cup of coffee, but if you are using preground coffee then that's your ceiling. It made an immense difference on my Bunn to get a "cheap" Capresso Infinity and grind as needed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I switch back and forth between two coffees for my morning pour over and one them definitely clogs and drains ~20 seconds slower. I forget what kind it is but I use the same grind setting on both.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Data Graham posted:

lol my favorite thing to toss out in a slack chat

("Measure with micrometer" is my version)

I even have it is paperback

Also lol, Hames Joffman Gunna have a Field day with the latest video

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bandire posted:

I didn't actually calibrate the Niche. Are you supposed to out of the box? I did have to tighten the center bolt as it kept wobbling loose.

Edit: Apparently you do, because mine was a fair bit off calibration. Did this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rFmALZJpe8

Sorry about the confusion!

After calibration, where are you on the numbered dial? I wish it were easier to share grind settings, I think that’s my single biggest inconsistency for puck prep and so many shots are still sour.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

thotsky posted:

I’ve been struggling with my switch stalling more than my v60, I left out the swirl this morning and it helped tremendously, thanks. Draw down was like, half the time from yesterday with no other changes. My burrs are also getting up there in age, so I’m guessing they’re putting out more fines than usual too.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

thotsky posted:

I also tried this, and agitating the grounds less has made my drawdowns significantly faster.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

sellouts posted:

Sorry about the confusion!

After calibration, where are you on the numbered dial? I wish it were easier to share grind settings, I think that’s my single biggest inconsistency for puck prep and so many shots are still sour.

It went from 14ish to 9ish I think? I'm past the espresso range and into fine. I put a 9 bar spring in my Gaggia a while back, but it sure seems like I'm still getting more pressure than it should be.

I did start toying with running the steam wand when starting the shot to do a faux pre-infusion because the Gaggia can still be inconsistent for me. Temperature surfing sucks, and I probably don't back flush and clean this thing as often as I should.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Man I hope Hoffman goes and sees someone about his vocal nodes, I feel like every time I watch a new video his voice gets weaker and weaker :(

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean, I'm in his Discord and could probably ask him about it. Worrying in a "possibly disease" sense or in a "overuse" sense?

Like I know content creators have been encouraged by viewers to see a doctor, which sometimes ends in a real diagnosis, but I definitely want to know more before I just hit him with that kind of question.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It's an overuse thing and please let me add that I am just a musician and very much not a doctor. also, I went back to his youtubes to be like "see look at the huge change in his voice!!" but actually he's kind of always had that cloudiness, hasn't he? Still though, I think there's a hearable difference between videos from a few years ago like this one and the AliExpress one from Friday (which lmao I agree appears to be custom made for Hames Joffman shenanigans)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My mum had vocal nodes and it's no joke

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is it his voice is actually getting used up or just different mics\editing that's creating the effect?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

If I'm looking to upgrade my old Virtuoso that I'm using for v60 pourover and moccamaster drip, mostly light roasts and increasingly anaerobics that i just found i can get locally, my read is that the Ode with g2 burrs is going to be a really good step and also probably the best option in its price point. Are there other grinders I should be seriously considering around the same price?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lagom Mini should be in contention. Moonshine burrs particularly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have a good resource for milk frothing? I am having a very difficult time getting the desired texture into the milk before it gets to temp. I've watched the Hoffman video where he explains to spend about 1/3 of the time aerating to generate foam, then 2/3 with the tip under the milk to create that whirlpool and the texture. I'm aiming for a latte, so not generating a ton of foam. Using a gaggia classic pro with the 9bar spring which I appreciate can limit the amount of steam I'm able to generate. Still seems like it generates a ton of steam dunno. I'm opening the steam valve fully. The result right now is basically hot milk with foam on top, despite the fact that it does grow in volume significantly as you'd expect.

I'm almost at a point where I want to actively cool the outside of the frothing jug with a bowl of ice water to control the temp of the milk until I get the texture to the place I want.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 11, 2022

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How are you judging the temp of the milk?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone have a good resource for milk frothing? I am having a very difficult time getting the desired texture into the milk before it gets to temp. I've watched the Hoffman video where he explains to spend about 1/3 of the time aerating to generate foam, then 2/3 with the tip under the milk to create that whirlpool and the texture. I'm aiming for a latte, so not generating a ton of foam. Using a gaggia classic pro with the 9bar spring which I appreciate can limit the amount of steam I'm able to generate. Still seems like it generates a ton of steam dunno. I'm opening the steam valve fully. The result right now is basically hot milk with foam on top, despite the fact that it does grow in volume significantly as you'd expect.

I'm almost at a point where I want to actively cool the outside of the frothing jug with a bowl of ice water to control the temp of the milk until I get the texture to the place I want.

You are supposed to start with cold milk.

My guess is you have the tip out too much and you’re generating too large of bubbles with the foam.

Try aiming for just under the surface, so it barely looks like you’re getting any foam generation. I usually try to see just a tiny tiny bit of milk pulled under the wand.

If you’re getting big bubbles and not tiny ones that you can barely see it’s probably out too much.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gunder posted:

How are you judging the temp of the milk?

Yeah good point, I'm using my hand on the bottom of the jug and after it gets too hot to hold I remove my hand and give it ~5s more and then turn it off. I think that's from Hoffman, not sure where I picked that up. I want to say that my heat tolerance is average at minimum so I don't think I'm stopping the frothing process too early. I don't have the thermometer-in-jug setup but can use a thermapen next time to see where I'm getting.

e:

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You are supposed to start with cold milk.

My guess is you have the tip out too much and you’re generating too large of bubbles with the foam.

Try aiming for just under the surface, so it barely looks like you’re getting any foam generation. I usually try to see just a tiny tiny bit of milk pulled under the wand.

If you’re getting big bubbles and not tiny ones that you can barely see it’s probably out too much.

Yeah I'm starting with cold milk from the fridge. I think I'm already doing the technique you're describing but I'll pay more attention to it next time. Maybe I'm entraining more air than I thought I was.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 11, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

There is that gaggia trick for better steam quality too

If you can roughly estimate and start steaming just before the light comes on you can get slightly improved steam quality too

You are sort of catching that upwards swing of temp in the boiler

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The stock Gaggia wand sucks too, if you still have the factory pinarello wand try foaming with the outer plastic piece removed, it should just unthread.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I think only the first gen Gaggia Classics came with the junk Panarello wands. They've been using a normal, if fairly basic steam wand for a long time now. They still aren't great for steaming.

I always just use my frothing pitcher. It does a pretty good job for zero effort and is done right when I am done pulling my shot.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 11, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So I tore apart my Vario W again to try and get the burrs into better alignment.

One of my key findings, or realizations was that the screws which fasten the burrs to the upper and lower carriers do not perfectly center the burrs in the carrier. As you tighten the screws down you can still move the burr around in the carrier which means that there will be some misalignment simply in that design.

To try and fix this problem, I cut several strips of paper I had lying around, of various weights. I used the strips as shims between the burr and the carrier to try and get the burrs centered in the carriers.

After doing that I think my key issue with getting the burrs aligned was messing with the drive belt tension ,while simultaneously trying to align the upper burr and grind chamber assembly with the lower burr.

So if anyone is struggling with this, I think what you want to do is set the belt tension such that it has just enough tension to engage with the drive motor, but does not have so much tension that it pulls the lower burr assembly off axis. Once the belt tension is set, you can then proceed with loosening the four grind chamber screws, squeezing the grind chamber and lower burr assembly together, while applying pressure to the grind adjustment arms, and then tightening the grind chamber screws back down.

Lastly, I did have to adjust the course grind adjustment screw/lever quite a bit to get the burrs to come together while disassembled. As a result, when I had everything back together, the burrs were coming in contact around the coarse setting of '4' initially. This can all be readjusted with the grinder back together, but it is quite a pain to see into the access panel and adjust the lever. With that fixed, I have the grinder recalibrated to contact at "2Q" per the manual.

Since then I think my presence of fines in my grinds have decreased some, or improved.

Not sure how much this has improved the flavor of my coffee, but whatever. My V60 seems less muddy now for similar grind size.

A few videos I found, some of them were posted since the last time I tried to "hyper align" the burrs so people are still mucking around with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lH47jIetb0&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO2GpVWSJu8&t=587s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUuhzJO29pU

Unrelated, I still want a Cafelat Robot.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah my Gaggia classic pro has the 'new' steam wand.

I tried what Pilfered Pallbearers suggested with my latte this morning. I basically had the tip a little more submerged into the milk at the initial phase than I did before. I got a lot less foam in general because I think I was already pretty low with the tip, but the texture of the milk does seem improved. I guess I'm missing some other element of what I'm supposed to be doing because at the end of it I'm still basically pouring hot milk into my cup with espresso in it and I get a very delicious brown liquid at the end - but not even close to being something where I could conceivably leave areas of milk in the top as you'd see with latte art.

I think the next step is to film myself frothing the milk and making the latte because at this point it could be any number of things and it's too hard to say what I might be doing wrong.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah my Gaggia classic pro has the 'new' steam wand.

I tried what Pilfered Pallbearers suggested with my latte this morning. I basically had the tip a little more submerged into the milk at the initial phase than I did before. I got a lot less foam in general because I think I was already pretty low with the tip, but the texture of the milk does seem improved. I guess I'm missing some other element of what I'm supposed to be doing because at the end of it I'm still basically pouring hot milk into my cup with espresso in it and I get a very delicious brown liquid at the end - but not even close to being something where I could conceivably leave areas of milk in the top as you'd see with latte art.

I think the next step is to film myself frothing the milk and making the latte because at this point it could be any number of things and it's too hard to say what I might be doing wrong.

I don’t like most of his stuff, but IIRC Lance’s video on steaming milk was significantly more helpful than Hoffmann’s on the base technique.

https://youtu.be/wJnMXLG_qR4

Basically, you shouldn’t see a ton of easily visible “foam”. I try to judge based on the volume in the pitcher vs starting volume.

Another trick I picked up from watching tons of videos is to make sure you swirl with your hand before you pour, and to tap the carafe to pop the larger bubbles.

Edit: latte art is also partially about the pour method, rather than the milk texture itself.

https://youtu.be/ohzsOjkYf5M

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 11, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Yeah I have worked out for me self about doing high pour to get some of the milk to the bottom and the disturb the Crema the least, and as I am finishing up going to a lower pour to "lay" the foam on top

I can draw a loveheart in the morning coffee for beloved and that's all I need

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I don’t like most of his stuff, but IIRC Lance’s video on steaming milk was significantly more helpful than Hoffmann’s on the base technique.

https://youtu.be/wJnMXLG_qR4

Basically, you shouldn’t see a ton of easily visible “foam”. I try to judge based on the volume in the pitcher vs starting volume.

Another trick I picked up from watching tons of videos is to make sure you swirl with your hand before you pour, and to tap the carafe to pop the larger bubbles.

Edit: latte art is also partially about the pour method, rather than the milk texture itself.

https://youtu.be/ohzsOjkYf5M

Thanks, yeah I'll check these videos out once I'm off this work call. It makes a lot of sense that you can more or less gauge whether or not things are working from the volume change in the milk itself - by this measurement there's no issue with my frothing as I get plenty of volume.

I swirl the poo poo out of it to try to incorporate some of the foam on top of the milk and I do the whole tapping to break the larger bubbles, etc. Maybe it's my pour method?

Jestery posted:

Yeah I have worked out for me self about doing high pour to get some of the milk to the bottom and the disturb the Crema the least, and as I am finishing up going to a lower pour to "lay" the foam on top

I can draw a loveheart in the morning coffee for beloved and that's all I need

Huh this makes a lot of sense actually, I'll try that.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I forget if you said already, what kind of milk are you using? I get better foam with whole milk by far. I also think it’s mostly a feel thing, keep practicing and you’ll find the balance of where to keep the tip at the start for max aeration and when to start moving it down for the texture. I also went through a couple different containers before I found one I liked. The age of the milk also matters, I can tell when the milk is getting nearly off before it starts to taste different because it wont foam for poo poo.

I have the Silvia wand on my Gaggia, and a PID so I can see what temp the boiler is at (steam not controlled by the PID, just the stock thermocouples). It swings from around 120c to 170c which is a real wide band, that may contribute to your ability to steam consistently because there’s definitely a difference at either end of the spectrum. I tend to start steaming when it’s near the top end, 150c+ and it’s usually down to the 120s when I’m done. I steam 8oz of milk and the foam is usually close to the top of the pitcher when I’m done.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Does anyone have an informed opinion / is there any accepted wisdom about blending different beans? I have a big, big bag of very inoffensive of ultimately bland beans. And I have a roaster who makes beans that have very interesting flavors but are far too intense in their acidity. Is it worth just trying to go 2/3 + 1/3 with the different beans? Are there any sort of guiding principles in terms of what goes together well?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Seems low stakes enough to try it out and see what you can come up with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005
The only blending I’ve done is to mix decaf with regular beans for a bit less of a kick. It took us a few attempts to find a complimentary roast and ratio to the decaf, but we’ve gotten results we’re happy with, rather than we’ve settled with.

Go nuts and see what works.