Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Jan. 6 Hearings: Oil chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sharkie posted:

The government should send checks to people. Again. They can do that.
Not with this Congress they can't. Solutions have to be attainable, we can no more force Manchin to bargain than we can OPEC.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not with this Congress they can't. Solutions have to be attainable, we can no more force Manchin to bargain than we can OPEC.

We can have the CIA overthrow Manchin and install a friendly puppet?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Sharkie posted:

The government should send checks to people. Again. They can do that. (that's just off the top of my head, I'm not an expert but I bet the experts can think of even better ideas, that's what we pay them for).
Does that money just magically appear? To be of any use there has to be some business-like grifting con game (eg every word out of DoublePeach's mouth, not that he's actually a successful businessman despite the slithering tongue). For example, "We the United States of America are shutting down all military operations for one week, which will save $500B in oil costs, which won't be going to OPEC, and will be going to our people directly and to highway infrastructure projects. After all, people can't afford to drive if the roads are rubble, checkmate."

And OPEC shrugs, waits for a week, then triples the price of oil the following week.

In real business that game doesn't work. It's bluff for bluff until someone folds or runs out of money. In GQP world, they know all the R representatives will fold instantly because the party will shun them if they even frown toward their facist dictator, and they can't switch to the other party because it's not accepting applications from lynch mob members right now.

It's the same with every lawyer T has had. They parrot whatever whacko idea he read on the back of the toilet paper that morning because they want to keep their jobs too, and it's easier to smile and nod. T, Jordan, McConnell, DeSantis, don't even suffer questions about potential alternatives. "They. Are. Correct."

So I guess tomorrow we'll see if Clarence has any integrity left?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

What work would that be, do you figure?
OPEC has decided to cut production so gas prices will go up for the midterm elections here, and they are doing it for just two reasons: War in Ukraine and American resistance to war in Ukraine. Get Trump re-elected that solves one problem.

The only way we can win the gas price war is to reopen all the oil and gas poo poo we had going on when we became a huge (shale oil/tar sands) fracking operation, much to the detriment of our infrastructure, community health, and I think local bedrock. Can we turn all of that back on? Could we now that we have passed IRA? How long would it take?

No American political party can tell OPEC what to do, and so I don't see the levers to operate to achieve your #1 stated goal, there. They can release some strategic reserve but that's about it, I think; and that does gently caress-all.

In theory they can ban export of American oil, but I don't think that would stand up in court.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

In theory they can ban export of American oil, but I don't think that would stand up in court.

It was the law of the land from 1975 - 2015

https://ballotpedia.org/Crude_oil_export_ban

The crude oil export ban prohibited most crude oil exports from the United States to other countries. It was implemented in 1975 and lifted in December 2015.

Due to an increased use of hydraulic fracturing—also known as fracking—and horizontal drilling beginning in 2005, the United States increased its production of oil and natural gas. Opponents of the ban argued repealing it would increase job growth and domestic energy production. Proponents of the ban argued that its repeal could lead to higher domestic gasoline prices and negatively affect jobs at U.S. refineries.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
One would think that at the level and resources the Biden Admin is operating at, (not to mention the U.S. Security State) that they have at least a few Rubicon-esque working groups grinding away on problems like America's energy requirements, and that those groups have already considered any idea on "how to lower gas prices" that a cadre of far too online American politics binge watchers might come up with.

Then again the Trump Administration did such a brutal, no trigger warning, "Emperor has no clothes" reveal on the Executive branch, who really knows at this point.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Dr. Faustus posted:

No American political party can tell OPEC what to do, and so I don't see the levers to operate to achieve your #1 stated goal, there. They can release some strategic reserve but that's about it, I think; and that does gently caress-all.

OPEC is just a bunch of minor powers blessed with resources. None of them except Iran even have a real military or a defensible position at all. The executive has a LOT of levers with places like that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

slurm posted:

OPEC is just a bunch of minor powers blessed with resources. None of them except Iran even have a real military or a defensible position at all. The executive has a LOT of levers with places like that.

Tell us more what you learned from playing Command and Conquer.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ants are WAY more dangerous than I thought.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Xiahou Dun posted:

At its most gracious interpretation, I sure hope slurm means that Saudi Arabia is highly dependent on the US for military equipment and support and we could easily cut that off and indeed Congress is already champing at the bit to cut off arms sales to KSA. The majority of their most advanced systems are US and it's not as if you could just easily shift an entire military over to another supplier with completely different systems without massive investment/time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

V-Men posted:

At its most gracious interpretation, I sure hope slurm means that Saudi Arabia is highly dependent on the US for military equipment and support and we could easily cut that off and indeed Congress is already champing at the bit to cut off arms sales to KSA. The majority of their most advanced systems are US and it's not as if you could just easily shift an entire military over to another supplier with completely different systems without massive investment/time.

Especially since the Russian arms market has been destroyed.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Naval units must be carefully balanced so as not to force players into overcommitting to early building paths or to be unusable niche tools that fail to interact with the rest of the map and also there should be mind-controlled giant squid.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Drakyn posted:

Naval units must be carefully balanced so as not to force players into overcommitting to early building paths or to be unusable niche tools that fail to interact with the rest of the map and also there should be mind-controlled giant squid.

Basically. The soviets were really hamstrung by not having a land-attacking naval unit (especially on the missions to destroy the refueling station on the islands, where there is one tiny bottle-necked landing area so you need just enough subs to take out the ships and then defend against incoming cruisers while throwing most of the rest into MiGs). At least until aftermath when they get missile subs and hooboy do they rock.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

V-Men posted:

Yeah I mean it's a sliding scale from the no-brainer of "stop hugely subsidizing our enemies" all the way through to the "full Saddam" (which is a bad idea) but you can't say there's not options.

Edit: but this is better for USCE where it's already being discussed.

slurm fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 11, 2022

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
DOJ, "the petition should be denied". https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22A283/242851/20221011154717435_22A283%20USA%20stay%20opp.pdf

The summary is only the first few pages. Everything after that is a review of facts.

Ultimately, T claims irreparable harm but does not indicate what that harm is, district courts have no power over federal investigations and issues are resolved when charges are filed, the petition doesn't offer any explanations against the reasoning of the appeals court, and doesn't show that the appeals court erred. Plus several reasons why the petition is confused about what the appeals court can do (ie rule on the special master).

Impressive that they write content instead of just saying, "Applicant whines loudly but offers no substantive arguments".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

DOJ, "the petition should be denied". https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22A283/242851/20221011154717435_22A283%20USA%20stay%20opp.pdf

The summary is only the first few pages. Everything after that is a review of facts.

Ultimately, T claims irreparable harm but does not indicate what that harm is, district courts have no power over federal investigations and issues are resolved when charges are filed, the petition doesn't offer any explanations against the reasoning of the appeals court, and doesn't show that the appeals court erred. Plus several reasons why the petition is confused about what the appeals court can do (ie rule on the special master).

Impressive that they write content instead of just saying, "Applicant whines loudly but offers no substantive arguments".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We've seen a bunch of evidence now that Trump still has documents at at least one other location, potentially more - why have they not tried to go and get them while this other stuff is going through the courts? I cant imagine Trumps advisors arent using this time to get him to hide or destroy them and make them harder to obtain...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

GlyphGryph posted:

We've seen a bunch of evidence now that Trump still has documents at at least one other location, potentially more - why have they not tried to go and get them while this other stuff is going through the courts? I cant imagine Trumps advisors arent using this time to get him to hide or destroy them and make them harder to obtain...

The places and people they have under surveillance?

gently caress yeah, do some more crimes. Let’s see how that dance turns.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Gotta make sure the trap works before you set it again. If you get all the docs now and the court decides 'the method was illegal' or whatever the gently caress, you lose everything.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Last time they legally went after Trump for what should’ve been the “dump this idiot” point every single Republican got mega bolstered, they’re probably going to wait until after the midterms now.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 12, 2022

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
So what you're really saying is that the fastest way to get DoublePeach in prison is to leave a few classified folders in plain sight in the cell?

Fishing for Trump with classified docs.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
You always wonder if these institutions really are as adept as one would expect them to be or if those expectations are unrealistic and perhaps colored by fiction.

People have suggested that Garland traced every foreign agent and leak that could have come into contact with the documents before even launching the mar-a-lago raid to ensure that they didn't get away. I wonder how likely that is vs. the substantially less Clancy-esque, more banal alternative where it just took forever for Garland to get a warrant.

Trump having material as sensitive as nuclear secrets completely unsecured, practically stuffed in his couch cushions, for over a year while DOJ just slowly worked their way to a warrant as the docs sat there, with any foreign asset capable of walking in at any time, seems to leave a hell of a lot to chance.

One wonders how that kind of material being in the open isn't grounds for immediately calling in a SWAT team. Geopolitics suddenly turns into Russian Roulette if the wrong actors get the wrong documents, which isn't all that hard with modern tech. No need to "smuggle out the microfilm" when you can just snapchat MBS or Xi on your smartphone.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

-Blackadder- posted:

Geopolitics suddenly turns into Russian Roulette if the wrong actors get the wrong documents, which isn't all that hard with modern tech. No need to "smuggle out the microfilm" when you can just snapchat MBS or Xi on your smartphone.

The whole internet is really compromised by the US government, I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thing gets automatically recognized and reported the same way known csam does.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/10/12/maralago-witness-trump-boxes-moved/

The footage shows them moving boxes containing government documents after the subpoena. A "trump employee" told the FBI they were instructed to move them, by T, who "told people to move boxes to his residence at the property". Additional testimony that multiple people told T to cooperate with NARA but he refused. Strong case of defying the subpoenae.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/10/12/maralago-witness-trump-boxes-moved/

The footage shows them moving boxes containing government documents after the subpoena. A "trump employee" told the FBI they were instructed to move them, by T, who "told people to move boxes to his residence at the property". Additional testimony that multiple people told T to cooperate with NARA but he refused. Strong case of defying the subpoenae.

I feel like the DOJ and others are waiting to see how the midterms shake out before heading back in full force, and the feed of info is meant to keep people aware of the stakes. I certainly hope it works, because there are some crazy bastards all over the ballot, and we know they will try to kill this as soon as they get a chance.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

E: wrong thread!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

J.A.B.C. posted:

I feel like the DOJ and others are waiting to see how the midterms shake out before heading back in full force, and the feed of info is meant to keep people aware of the stakes. I certainly hope it works, because there are some crazy bastards all over the ballot, and we know they will try to kill this as soon as they get a chance.

I don't know if they waiting to see how the midterms go or just waiting for the midterms to be over. DOJ still does the decorum BS, and as we saw during the Russia investigation they don't dont do anything publicly during election time.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

I don't know if they waiting to see how the midterms go or just waiting for the midterms to be over. DOJ still does the decorum BS, and as we saw during the Russia investigation they don't dont do anything publicly during election time.

Slow walking a prosecution due to political concerns should be obstruction of justice.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bel Shazar posted:

Slow walking a prosecution due to political concerns should be obstruction of justice.

My dude, Trump straight up confessed to obstruction and didn't get charged with obstruction

it apparently just isn't a thing when it comes to him, on either side

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Is there actual footage there? I didn't manage to get past the paywall though it used to work before??

Anyway that sound pretty bad (for Trump), let's see him try to wiggle out of this one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there actual footage there? I didn't manage to get past the paywall though it used to work before??

Anyway that sound pretty bad (for Trump), let's see him try to wiggle out of this one.

The footage is referred to by the source, wapo doesn't have it.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Bel Shazar posted:

lol this would result in so much stupid bullshit in practice, it's an absolutely insane solution

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol this would result in so much stupid bullshit in practice, it's an absolutely insane solution

Perhaps some sort of system in which prosecutions and trials can only take a maximum of three days? Just to spitball.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Quorum posted:

Perhaps some sort of system in which prosecutions and trials can only take a maximum of three days? Just to spitball.

That would be a huge boon to conmen and white-collar criminals whose crimes are complicated and take a long time to present and clarify to a jury. People like Donald Trump.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Quorum posted:

And somebody has to be convicted by the end of that time. A not-guilty verdict requires supplying someone else to wear the blame.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Deteriorata posted:

That would be a huge boon to conmen and white-collar criminals whose crimes are complicated and take a long time to present and clarify to a jury. People like Donald Trump.

It is an Ace Attorney joke, where it is explicitly a terrible system designed to make things harder on the player.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Clarste posted:

It is an Ace Attorney joke, where it is explicitly a terrible system designed to make things harder on the player.

I thought it was supposed to mirror the Japanese justice system somewhat, which is it’s own flavor of crazy shitshow.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Oracle posted:

I thought it was supposed to mirror the Japanese justice system somewhat, which is it’s own flavor of crazy shitshow.

Japanese trials are not limited to only three days, no. The average trial length is three months from start to final ruling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It sounds like the deal with Japan's 99.8% conviction rate at trial is that what we'd consider a trial actually happens earlier - when the prosecutor chooses to prosecute - and what we'd consider a jury is really just the prosecutor. Less than 10% of cases are actually prosecuted, so only the most cast-iron of cases actually get to a trial.

Japanese prosecutors have a ton of power and losing a case is very damaging to them, so they basically never lose, instead stacking the deck in their favour pre-trial.