Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

UnleashedDad posted:

It's possible. I am the only person who knows how everything works, why it works, who to contact if it doesn't, etc. They just hired another zero-experience person in a new department that was created based off this one's success who I am essentially managing without a manager title. I'd ask for a raise and new title at this point but them not being remote friendly with me being an exception feels like it would be a waste of time. Anyway I approved the meeting so that will be some good old fashioned degrading fun.

My experience of "we hired someone with zero experience to get up to speed" is that they're either useless, or they're good and then they leave.

I think you need some critical mass to manage it properly, or to get lucky and find someone else that's naturally willing to stick it out as long as you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You are already doing the right thing and looking for something else. Not being in the office to be part of the office real politik and all that bullshit will mean you are limited in your growth there if it is an organization that let people work remote during 2020/2021 begrudgingly.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Zarin posted:

I think I have PTSD around the entire concept of goals at this point. Every manager I've worked for has had a different philosophy around goals, some better than others.

I feel like none of it matters. If they want to promote you, they'll find a way to justify that. If they don't want to, they'll find a way to justify that too. The process itself is a dog and pony show that allows executives to think warm and fuzzy thoughts about how they run such a metrics-focused objective meritocracy.

I'm on a mgmt call talking about our performance process, total dog and pony show.

Q&A starts and it's 50/50 performative boot licking / "obviously wasn't listening" but then this director straight up asked the CHRO "yeah thats all fine but what are you doing with CoL raises". Which of course triggered a squid ink smokescreen of nothing-words but was great to see the exec obviously uncomfortable someone broke kayfabe that any of this matters.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My daytime counterpart has been in his position for 14 years. Every time our boss leaves, due to transfer or termination or whatever, he applies for that position. They interview him, have him work as acting boss for a few months, and then ultimately hire a new boss, who he then has to train.

This has happened 12 times

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

tactlessbastard posted:

My daytime counterpart has been in his position for 14 years. Every time our boss leaves, due to transfer or termination or whatever, he applies for that position. They interview him, have him work as acting boss for a few months, and then ultimately hire a new boss, who he then has to train.

does he have a humiliation fetish, or..?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tactlessbastard posted:

If the position has turned over 12 times in 14 years he might want to reconsider how much he wants it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

If the position has turned over 12 times in 14 years he might want to reconsider how much he wants it.

Maybe he’s poo poo at training bosses :hmmyes:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Dik Hz posted:

Maybe he’s poo poo at training bosses :hmmyes:

Ah, it's a long con.

Like really, really long.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I have been in that situation but speed run in 2 years. It is funny how “promote from within” only applies when it is someone upper management likes.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Has anyone else that's been job hunting before gotten a series of 2nd 3rd and sometimes 4th interviews with no offer followed by the most passive aggressive rejection letters.? This has happened to me multiple times over the past few months and I'm absolutely baffled. Just what the gently caress do these people want?!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

His Purple Majesty posted:

Has anyone else that's been job hunting before gotten a series of 2nd 3rd and sometimes 4th interviews with no offer followed by the most passive aggressive rejection letters.? This has happened to me multiple times over the past few months and I'm absolutely baffled. Just what the gently caress do these people want?!

Unless maybe you're talking about a small business where the last interview was with the owner, I promise you they are not tailoring the rejection letters to you. They're boilerplate. The usual case is that the company knew who they were hiring before they posted the position, and just have to interview a certain number of people at each level of the process to check the boxes. You did well/were a strong candidate if you got picked for the later rounds, even if you were never actually being seriously considered.

It's hard to inculcate upon yourself that it's not personal, because a rejection always feels personal, but it's really important to internalize this. You need thick skin to keep your mind in the right space for the next interview.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What's the best way to ask "Now that we've merged with company X, how should we write that on our resumes?" without actually asking that?

I might stick around for a year or two, but communication of merger information/changes has been an embarrassing shitshow so far and does not inspire confidence. Also, my grandfathered-in PTO time alottment will never ever increase, so maybe it's time to venture into the dark and dangerous wilderness of job-hunting.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If I get an email and not a call then I know it is a rejection and thus won’t read it. Anyway this is less of an issue doing contract work. Funny thing is I have clients who pay me to interview their technical hires because they have hired people before with padded resumes and want to make sure they get good staff. Only been a few “you are not paying anywhere near market for this position so you won’t get any good candidates” conversations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Roumba posted:

What's the best way to ask "Now that we've merged with company X, how should we write that on our resumes?" without actually asking that?

I might stick around for a year or two, but communication of merger information/changes has been an embarrassing shitshow so far and does not inspire confidence. Also, my grandfathered-in PTO time alottment will never ever increase, so maybe it's time to venture into the dark and dangerous wilderness of job-hunting.

All mergers are kind of a comms shitshow as far as I can tell. Not sure that’s a reason to actively bail.

What you write on your resume depends on what the new entity is called.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
On my resume I just put "*Company* (formerly known as *old company*"

Seemed like the easiest way. But that's also because I work for a well known company and people still don't understand the merger.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
You also shouldn't take resume advice from me because I loving suck.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Finally had my last day at my former company yesterday. My advancement in title, responsibility, and salary had stagnated despite generally great performance reviews. A mediocre COL raise and fact that I was passed over for promotion had really irked me earlier this year. Had a direct conversation re: my displeasure with those outcomes with my boss with market survey data in-hand; the conversation amounted to "check back in 6 months and I'll see what I can do." After some poking around to find more concrete "market data," I received an offer at a well-regarded institution that I knew they couldn't match: 30% more base salary, a jump to senior staff, and insane benefits. Transitioning went as smoothly as I could have expected – gave my notice 3 weeks ago, handed off all my projects to other engineers, and had a few interesting conversations with my now-former coworkers.

Some potentially interesting tidbits:

- The main business unit I was supporting (but not a direct employee of) is in an utter tailspin. I’d had suspicions, but it was put in plain language for me now that I was in a position to have frank conversations. The day before I put in my notice, a 21 year lifer who’d PM’d most of my projects put in his. The day I left, another long-termer put in his as well. The region that had about 25 people when I started ~3 years ago is now down to ~11. Morale is as low as can be and I'm pretty sure everyone outside of senior management has an exit plan. My understanding is that there’s just a toxic relationship between the PMs and management; I wasn’t particularly privy until now because I don’t have to interact with that branch of management at all beyond the particular projects I support.

- Turns out I was generally well-regarded by my peers and supervisory chain. I didn’t know this until I heard it at my exit interview because, well, nobody ever reached out to me from the HQ office 2 states away unless they needed something from me. I had some decently candid conversations regarding why I was leaving, during which I found out that my own business unit is having their own troubles hiring and retaining staff, though on a smaller scale and not nearly as catastrophic to workflows. I gave my boss’s boss some frank advice that I hope he can convince senior management to act on, though I think it really does boil down to "let people work from home as soon as they prove they won't gently caress around, and find a way to pay your mid-level staff more so they don't get hired away before you can build institutional knowledge."

- The company just disbanded its COVID task force. Up until about ~3 months ago they were pretty stringent as to how they treated it. They required daily sign-ins for in-office workers affirming vaccination and lack of symptoms, as well as reporting any illnesses. Remote work was required of all who could manage it until about March of this year. All aspects of this system were scrapped at the beginning of this month. Apparently the epidemiologist they hired to guide the task force was fired earlier this year because management thought they were being overcautious. So, they canned the expert because they weren’t being given the guidance they wanted. I was actually somewhat sad about leaving until I found this out.

While I had my own reasons for leaving, it certainly seems like I got out while the getting was good.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Totally not looking forward to my end of year review with my jackass boss who both him and I know reported him to HR. My project (launch of the new plant) is still going poo poo (relative to expectations of upper management who signed off on a project with no staffing plan or even an over arching project charter, though in reality it’s a loving miracle we’re productive as we are. Not really it’s because everyone but new boss is good and has been working hard.). So I’m hoping that I get a meets expectations.

Will be even more fun when in 1.5 months i disclose I’m negotiating selling personally developed IP to one of our major suppliers lololol. If my pitch is well accepted that is, I give it 50/50.

Was also approached by a older friend in the biz that our professional society is looking for a technical director. A huge honor he’d even think of nominating me, but apprehensive about being on that side of industry, though I’d be well suited for it since I’ve already done supplier side, and now in an oem consumer side.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I work in corporate, but it's pretty old school so there are plenty of people who have been around for a long time and can be a little set in their ways.

One day I walk into the toilets and one of my team mates is wiping fluid up from around the urinals. I turn around and just walk out of there, not like I can take a leak with his head at penis height.

There are 4 options I can see.

1. Wiping up own piss after a mishap - OK fair enough we all have accidents, don't look at your phone while taking a piss next time. Good on you for owning it I suppose.

2. Wiping up someone else's piss - you walked in and noted a potential safety hazard and took immediate action. Wierd, but commendable perhaps? Not something I would do.

3. Clean water leak - like 2, but better? How do you know it is clean water?

4. Waste water leak - like 2, but worse. Stanky urinal stale urine. What the gently caress, call the facilities people, maybe put up a sign.

Dude wasn't even wearing gloves.

The kicker was a day later I go in and he's at it again. I need a leak more urgently this time so I duck into the cubicle before he sees me.

While I am in there someone else comes in and says "still leaking is it?"

So this tells me that he has probably done this at least 3 times, and it is either option 3 or 4. Probably 4.

Yuck.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I still don’t think you can rule out option 1.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He was drinking the piss.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Shades of

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1016849494644674562

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Roumba posted:

Maybe keep it vague & play dumb, like "after the merger, how should we handle the new/updated company name?" Don't even mention resumes or anything else.

Jordan7hm posted:

This guy is right, both ways. I sit in on performance reviews for our practice and if you believed what was said in those reviews everyone is great but also not good enough to definitely promote.

Likely comes down to pay too - people who know their worth won't apply for any jobs that pay jack & expect them to wear a dozen hats. Same thing for people in existing roles looking to advance, nobody wants to take a "promotion" just to find out they got a bullshit title change, no extra pay & a ton more responsibility. All those things tie together & fixing the system may be an uphill battle depending on who he runs into.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 10, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Likely comes down to pay too - people who know their worth won't apply for any jobs that pay jack & expect them to wear a dozen hats. Same thing for people in existing roles looking to advance, nobody wants to take a "promotion" just to find out they got a bullshit title change, no extra pay & a ton more responsibility. All those things tie together & fixing the system may be an uphill battle depending on who he runs into.

In lots of jobs this is probably true, but if you’re working for a big 4 or strategy consulting firm and not looking to get promoted, there’s probably something wrong with you. The ladder is the point. When you don’t want to do the ladder anymore, you find a job in industry.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
One of the key differences with consulting is they actually pay you more.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

In lots of jobs this is probably true, but if you’re working for a big 4 or strategy consulting firm and not looking to get promoted, there’s probably something wrong with you. The ladder is the point. When you don’t want to do the ladder anymore, you find a job in industry.

Former big 4 here (not consulting though) and I’d tell my counsellees that they were there for the deferred compensation and if they wanted to stay at a given level for whatever reason to let me know and I’ll find them a better paying job elsewhere.

For reasons unknown I don’t work at big 4 any more 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Hiring freeze instituted. Good thing everyone in management above me didn’t do poo poo to hire the teams of people i and others have been saying we needed.

I look forward to another RCCM :sigh: but no we take lean six sigma (they’re different things but don’t tell them or I’ll have to do more RCCMs that no one follows up on ) seriously here

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Love all the projects at work that still have a target completion date of Q3 2022. :allears:

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

tumblr hype man posted:

Love all the projects at work that still have a target completion date of Q3 2022. :allears:

But you’ve put together all the multi year plans in full detail for projects that come after and depend on those right? While still working on the ones that aren’t done yet.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The endless waltz of working for most of the morning and then spending the remainder of the day thinking I should look for a new job.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tnuctip posted:

Totally not looking forward to my end of year review with my jackass boss who both him and I know reported him to HR. My project (launch of the new plant) is still going poo poo (relative to expectations of upper management who signed off on a project with no staffing plan or even an over arching project charter, though in reality it’s a loving miracle we’re productive as we are. Not really it’s because everyone but new boss is good and has been working hard.). So I’m hoping that I get a meets expectations.

Will be even more fun when in 1.5 months i disclose I’m negotiating selling personally developed IP to one of our major suppliers lololol. If my pitch is well accepted that is, I give it 50/50.

Was also approached by a older friend in the biz that our professional society is looking for a technical director. A huge honor he’d even think of nominating me, but apprehensive about being on that side of industry, though I’d be well suited for it since I’ve already done supplier side, and now in an oem consumer side.

Did you manage to not sign a "we own every thought you have had, are having, and will ever have, until a year after you leave" contract?

If so, how?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Dickhead Client who was threatening to not pay did pay while I had a week off after he was show all the tickets they had been done, the authorizations from the COO to do the work and the feedback on the improvement.

Fires COO for not getting authorization for the work :v:

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Tnuctip posted:

I hope you've talked to an IP lawyer. It's cheap comparatively ($300/hr, I only used 30 minutes) and can save your rear end.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Tnuctip posted:

But you’ve put together all the multi year plans in full detail for projects that come after and depend on those right? While still working on the ones that aren’t done yet.

I learned my lesson years ago and no longer work on projects as “additional duties as assigned”, it’s definitely helped that I now have production goals so I have a different set of stressors.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Day one of the four day strategy session featured 1.5 hours of someone reading through a confluence page and giving painfully slow descriptions of each item in it :waycool:

We're already 2 hours behind schedule but seeing as I'm turning up over an hour late tomorrow hopefully everyone will have got the bullshit out of their system by the time I get there.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TheSpartacus posted:

I hope you've talked to an IP lawyer. It's cheap comparatively ($300/hr, I only used 30 minutes) and can save your rear end.

+1

Tnuctip posted:

I've seen what happens when this ends up in court 1+ years after a successful sale/departure. It can go very bad. Civil fraud/theft allegations leading to triple damages demands are pretty common. Talk to a lawyer. $300/hr is a very cheap IP lawyer. Generally I'd expect more than a half hour discussion if you actually have a buyer.

I'd look for a smaller (~4-10 attorneys) firm, maybe even a solo. Someone with 10+ years and several Lanham act cases with favorable outcomes. Courtlistener.com is a good resource for this.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 11, 2022

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Nah it’s IP I’ve been working on since before I started current job. Even talked vagaries about it with current company’s in house council during hiring process. Not selling the idea to a competitor either, all clear except for disclosing it when it becomes official per coMpany handbook guidelines. They’ll still be salty AF though if it it turns out I haven’t wasted a bunch of money (this could very well be the case).

Also have talked to lawyer more than half an hour, Jesus Christ I’m a goon but I’m not that bad. Yes legal fees have been hefty past few months.

Did sign a non compete, overly broad, but this actually even falls outside of it. All personal private stuff on personal private time with personal private resources.

Is there a start up thread in BFC? I should head there and maybe find the 2% of posts that aren’t related to Silicon Valley jackassery if such a thread exists.

Edit: to clarify, the IP is not something my company will compete against, nor will it benefit to a competitor.

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 12, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oh boy, we're adding peer feedback to our Q4 performance and development review. I hate this poo poo, but I recognize you have to play the game if you want to get ahead.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Legit wondering if I should secretly be recording when I disclose it to my jackass boss, in the event that he tells me he wants a cut of it (:lol: no) and threatens my job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tnuctip posted:

Legit wondering if I should secretly be recording when I disclose it to my jackass boss, in the event that he tells me he wants a cut of it (:lol: no) and threatens my job

Look up your local laws; I would not recommend that in a two party consent state.