Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Yeah, very curious to see how Justin is able to pull this all together. That said, if nothing else, I’ll have the phrase “Hardlight Grandpa” in my head for the rest of my natural life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They really seemed to struggle with deterring a scam to do in general. I think Justin’s setting is interesting but his statement about the company providing everything customers want already kind of makes it hard to go with the whole vice selling angle. Frankly the smuggling path would have been a better call imo, as their complaints against that are also valid for the break room thing.

Regardless it’s just a framework to work with and around so I’m not too concerned about it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I gotta listen to it, but I kinda like the idea of the evil deeds being "get a break room from definitely not disney" at least

Sounds low stakes enough that they can have a lot of fun with it, but still have things happen

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah I feel like Justin has several awesome pieces here, but I really don't know how well they'll fit together.

One can only wonder at how many of those set pieces Justin will abandon outright. He is notoriously the "I'm bored of this" player at their table, so I'm interested to see what kind of DM he'll be.

TL posted:

Only a few minutes into Steeplechase so far, but this was good:

Justin: Please hold the goofs and don’t say anything until I finish unless it’s really good.

Travis: How will I know if it’s good unless I say it?

Justin: The Travis McElroy Story.

This got me good, I will admit. They're becoming self aware!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

on the latest besties, Justin mentioning how he accidentally started playing deep rock galactic and got way into it with its apparently chill as gently caress community is very good.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

everyone gravitates to hawkers when they pick up BitD and its absolutely the hardest crew type to come up with scores for lmao

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sankis posted:

on the latest besties, Justin mentioning how he accidentally started playing deep rock galactic and got way into it with its apparently chill as gently caress community is very good.

The game kicks rear end

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Rachel is having a meeting just next door, so honey if you heard any of that I apologize."

- Griffin McElroy, after an extremely intense floss dance when the boys won their 2nd fortnite.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I gotta listen to it, but I kinda like the idea of the evil deeds being "get a break room from definitely not disney" at least

Sounds low stakes enough that they can have a lot of fun with it, but still have things happen

I am mildly bummed that "bootleg cockfight recordings between crack steeplechase mascots pairings" wasn't suggested, since that would have played into all three of their roles perfectly. Given their classes, Travis could have played Contender, Griffin the Hype Man, and Clint the Editor. They'd have had any number of ridiculous angles with which they could riff on, too, with the various combos of not!Disney characters they could switch between.

It'd also give them an actual angle to work, seeing as their grasp of raw social issues via RP is, well...

...I'll just gesture Graduation's direction here (and even more in Travis' direction in general).

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I think the break room idea is nice because it has a lot of room to get completely out of hand. You can have all sorts of complications as word gets out of people wanting to use it for more illicit activity or rumors get out among the Disney YouTubers that the break room is actually a secret invite only night club or just the difficulty of staying both secret and profitable. Your gang is supposed to start out as a bunch of small time nobodies and a lot of the drama is the growing pains from your success. They could also totally botch it and everything goes nowhere. Who knows?

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 5, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Very true. I’m not worried about it too much as you may as well worry about the Quiet Year not going the way you like. While that’s more deliberately designed to not be directly involved in session to session stuff I fully expect things to go off the rails in a hurry so their initial
Plan being a bit meh is fine.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Frankly I'm just back for Justin as DM. Thought we might never see the day

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Steeplechase theme is a jam.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It slaps, yeah. I wonder what percentage of the listenership instantly skipped the in-world radio ad at the top of the show thinking it was a MaxFun advertisement.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Warbird posted:

It slaps, yeah. I wonder what percentage of the listenership instantly skipped the in-world radio ad at the top of the show thinking it was a MaxFun advertisement.

Hello

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I was lukewarm on the episode when they were going heavy into explaining the mechanics of the game, but once they got into the actual heist and were flying by the seat of their pants, it was super fun.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/JohnnyUtahNG/status/1578282866387038208/photo/1

cmon boys, just one more time, bring it back just one more time for this one

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I thought the first episode was a little awkward but it's got potential. Hopefully the players get bolder with their swings as they get more used to the system.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnnyUtahNG/status/1578282866387038208/photo/1

cmon boys, just one more time, bring it back just one more time for this one
Magnificent

https://twitter.com/tyakabou/status/1578327057482010625?s=20&t=BLFNaHbuEDLiIWv6QhpRnw

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The very slight “Justin is explaining game mechanics” music is a very nice touch.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Griffin is still doing all the music, yeah? Sound effects/Foley work done by the editor? Sounds great anyway.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:thunk: k...

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ngl, I unsubscribed because if that. Good on them for putting it all up there but I like being able to use the app.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Warbird posted:

Ngl, I unsubscribed because if that. Good on them for putting it all up there but I like being able to use the app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Not familiar with that one so I’m unaware if I’ve been owned or not, but p much. Not the first time this has happened but I can’t recall the other channel(s) off the top of my head.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I love that they just talked about recording video of their episodes, then proceeded to upload episodes en masse, including the most recent one where they talk about recording video of their episodes, to Youtube, a video platform, but they're just the audio.

:kiss:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, they uploaded every episode? I thought they uploaded a random smattering of like 10. That's all that is showing up in my feed. On the one hand it's probably a good thing, but on the other hand it would have been really funny if they destroyed my dash with 500 videos at once.

Inkspot posted:

I love that they just talked about recording video of their episodes, then proceeded to upload episodes en masse, including the most recent one where they talk about recording video of their episodes, to Youtube, a video platform, but they're just the audio.

Agreed, they really should have gone back and re-recorded all the episodes but with video this time. Kind of unprofessional tbh. :/

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ariong posted:

Agreed, they really should have gone back and re-recorded all the episodes but with video this time. Kind of unprofessional tbh. :/

Unlikely to happen, they would never repeat jokes.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ooh let's start revvin' up those MaxFun rumors!!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Unlikely to happen, they would never repeat jokes.

Yeah, trying to find a joke they've made multiple times is harder than finding Tastetations, or an episode of Turbo Teen

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Inkspot posted:

i assumed the video was just for them not something they're gonna post

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Christ Almighty. Whether or not they post videos is irrelevant. It’s ironic that they mentioned recording video and then posted audio clips to a video site. That’s it. That’s the joke.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

oh sorry. that's also the kind of complaint this thread would get it is impossible to tell the difference

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
a thread gradually becoming itself. jokes? illegal unless explained, vetted.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The best jokes are obtuse and require lots of explanation.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

Wasabi the J posted:

The best jokes are obtuse and require lots of explanation.

it was a pretty obvious joke to me?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I feel lucky that I'm only seeing one McElory video in my feed. They're a little late to that trend, but gotta monetize however they can.

Also read that post the way he intended the first time :shrug:.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I like that the uploads are in a completely random, incoherent order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lmao episode 631 got a covid notice presumably for its opening on spotify

richard stink is problematic

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 13, 2022