Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Now bring Gord down to do more than just Playoffs on ESPN and put them together.

It would be like when Fox imported Jay and Dan, only good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Jhet posted:

It's close to shut now with the final rosters being in, but there's always the LTIR issues that other teams will possibly run into. With Addison and Rossi making the squad, that's two more ELC that they have and will carry leaving them accruing that cap space for a while. Or at least that's how I read it from Russo's tweets. So I'd imagine this is something that they're planning on being able to do in the coming months as other teams get healthy and need to find cap space.
That tracks. Thank you!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
This is probably the youngest Stars roster since 2013-14, for most of the intervening years they've been near the top of the league in average age.. I remember a couple seasons where they were basically tied with the Vegas Golden Knights for #1, which was not good because at that time the Golden Knights were obviously a team that had hardly any young players on their roster due to the way they were formed through the expansion draft.

Special shout out to Wyatt Johnston who is starting the season with the Stars, the first player in Dallas Stars history who was eligible to play in the CHL to make the opening night roster!

My opinion is still that it would be best for the Stars to outright tank the next 3 years while they are running out the clock on a ton of awful contracts (Benn, Lindell, Faksa, Suter) and use the time to re-stock the prospect pipeline.. it seems like they are making some steps in that direction but obviously still hoping to be competitive and make the playoffs. I am more hopeful now that there won't be a collapse at some point in the next few years and the Stars can be in a pretty good position when that cap space clears up in 2026 to vault back into the category of legitimate contenders for the cup!

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

MononcQc posted:

Habs have sent Paul Byron on LTIR, possibly Robidas Island, and are instead calling up Xhekaj.

He might want to skip on the therapeutic bleeding, if he learned his lesson 200 years ago.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/stucowan1/status/1579901877298548736?s=46&t=3VuCgp7w2UIZX-S_DaItoA

The forwards are not great, some bright spots, but man that defence is something to behold.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

My comment about owners saving money from a decrease in HRR is because the lower that number gets, the more they retain from escrow as an $8M AAV deal pays out at (say) $7.2M instead of $7.6M. For the other owners, it's a great win. They get back more of the salaries they agreed to pay, a collectivized benefit to owners, while the losses are centralized in AZ.

Ohhhh, that makes more sense than my version, thanks for writing it up.

Does player escrow ever work out in reverse? ie, league revenues are far higher than expected, so that $8M deal actually pays $8.4M?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

AntiDepressor posted:

https://twitter.com/stucowan1/status/1579901877298548736?s=46&t=3VuCgp7w2UIZX-S_DaItoA

The forwards are not great, some bright spots, but man that defence is something to behold.

I look forward to whatever new and inventive way the Leafs will find to, if not lose, keep it far closer than it should be. But probably lose.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

chaibat posted:

Ohhhh, that makes more sense than my version, thanks for writing it up.

Does player escrow ever work out in reverse? ie, league revenues are far higher than expected, so that $8M deal actually pays $8.4M?
Theoretically it could happen, but it has never happened and will never happen.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement says that revenue is to be split 50/50 between owners and players. Since the salary cap has always been "too high" for that to be possible, the players have always paid some percentage of their salary into an escrow account, the majority of which has gone to the owners at the end of the year and all player salaries are a fixed percentage of 20% less than the contract (right now, it changes year-to-year). If the Hockey-Related Revenue were to exceed expectations then the owners would either have to pay into escrow to pay back their debt or raise the salary cap for the following season to pay their debt back (owners would raise salary cap, not pay into escrow). Right now players are paying back a huge debt from the 2019-2020 shortened season, that will be paid off this season and things will be more normal starting next season. The current CBA was made before online gambling was a thing, so owners get all of any revenue generated from that, but when the current CBA ends, that will be added to HRR, most likely (or there will be a lockout-shortened season if owners dig in their heels about that).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There is gonna be the mother of all lockouts over the gambling revenue the next time the CBA is up.

Probably going to happen in all the U.S. sports, actually. But the people running hockey are the dumbest of the lot.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

There is gonna be the mother of all lockouts over the gambling revenue the next time the CBA is up.

Probably going to happen in all the U.S. sports, actually. But the people running hockey are the dumbest of the lot.

The NBA is pretty much pricing it into their contracts already. I think the NFL will be fine (because the NFLPA is a really really weak union). I fully expect the NHL to try for a third lockout

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the people running basketball are the smartest of the lot, as it happens

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/FlyersFan99955/status/1579951153286377472?t=DH4Cv-WJtSiuMHv2QMz8UQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/FlyersFan99955/status/1579959296049442817?t=JNCq_g2cwdGMf35dpaxkYw&s=19

This is 100% either Tony or a family member

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tony Deangelo is a piece of poo poo.

Didn’t we mock him endlessly for using an obvious fake Twitter burner account in his NY days?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
pretty sure its just a troll looking for that exact reaction. The list of people they're following is a little too on the nose

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

AntiDepressor posted:

Guhle has been pretty solid as a prospect, and Xhekaj is a cool story of an undrafted guy impressing in training camp. I'm optimistic about them.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Guhle has been pretty solid as a prospect, and Xhekaj is a cool story of an undrafted guy impressing in training camp. I'm optimistic about them.

It’s pretty cool that Xhekaj went from working at Costco to the NHL in 2 years just by being an absolute piece of poo poo on the ice lol

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Guhle has been a joy to watch. Weird feeling to have a promising young player on D that didn't get traded away asap.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someone's gotta make the inaugural GDT

I'm ready to shitpost about hockey

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I am ready for some hockey

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
NHL N/V October : What’s Better Than This?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

These digital board ads are bizarre and distracting

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

WeaponX posted:

These digital board ads are bizarre and distracting

They also don’t work when they use other camera angles

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I made a GDT: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014594

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I legit think I can't watch NHL games anymore with these board ads. They don't look real at all and are super distracting, and get twice as bad when the animations play. And then it switches to the ice level cameras and it's like they're on a different rink.

You're loving garbage, NHL.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Are all teams doing these digital board ads, or is it only the national broadcasts for now?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

xzzy posted:

I legit think I can't watch NHL games anymore with these board ads. They don't look real at all and are super distracting, and get twice as bad when the animations play. And then it switches to the ice level cameras and it's like they're on a different rink.

You're loving garbage, NHL.

The best is when it switches the entire board to one ad. I just did that with something call “Hub” and it was just the word “Hub” 40 times on the screen. It’s poo poo!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

WeaponX posted:

The best is when it switches the entire board to one ad. I just did that with something call “Hub” and it was just the word “Hub” 40 times on the screen. It’s poo poo!

I guess this helps the flyers fans because you end up staring at ads more than the game.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Just get the ref to yell out all the sponsors names via the PA system before puck drop and have blank boards

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WeaponX posted:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a red one for breath mints or cough drops or whatever that's bright red and repeated 50 times around the edge of the rink.

lol at this reality. Covid should have wiped humans out.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's still working on that don't you worry

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the ads aren't as intrusive as I thought they would be, but they are still intrusive, and I don't like them at all

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The entire point of advertising is to be intrusive

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
thanks for the insight peewee

the ads would probably be fine if they didn't change DURING play, I think. It's so annoying as is.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

They would still look unrealistic and out of place and glitch when a player wearing white gets hit at the wrong angle.

It's painful when they cut from the fake rear end off white to a different camera showing real board ads with actual shading and puck marks and text that doesn't gently vibrate.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
https://twitter.com/Iwantadonair/status/1580030429951774722

Jesus Christ this is the sickest thing I've ever seen in my life

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Yeah you have to be pretty unwell to be a Mariners fan.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Didn't they just beat Toronto?

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/Iwantadonair/status/1580030429951774722

Jesus Christ this is the sickest thing I've ever seen in my life

Come to a Kraken game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate