Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What's a freighter and why is it different to my spaceship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

big

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

it's a giant taxi that you can park your ships and 30,000 metric tons of cargo in and can get a jump range of probably 2-3x times whatever the absolute maximum jump range of a regular ship is (probably closer to 5x now post-tech-nerf)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That's not good for my megalophobia at all.

quote:

30,000 metric tons of cargo

This however is enticing as I'm constantly struggling with this

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Scale of No Man's Sky:
You -- small person-shaped person. Run around, shoot or mine things.
Vehicles -- Often more trouble than they worth but can be fun if you find your groove. Scanners capable of locating valuable locations (I think it's submarine/everything else for which vehicles can scan for what)
Ship -- You fly this between planets. Zoom around space making pew pew noises.
Frigate -- Basically Freighter's little buddies. Send on expeditions, patch them up sometimes.
Freighter -- BIG ship you can land your ship in. Build a base there. Or don't. Your call. Basically a mobile base though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it's a giant taxi that you can park your ships and 30,000 metric tons of cargo in and can get a jump range of probably 2-3x times whatever the absolute maximum jump range of a regular ship is (probably closer to 5x now post-tech-nerf)

Yeah, the only thing you can't do with your freighter is specifically fly it while you're in it, outside of hyperspace travel. I'd love it if it was more like a starship enterprise, but it's awesome regardless.

I treat it like my real base since Endurance. It's C class and I don't give a gently caress.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

This however is enticing as I'm constantly struggling with this

If you rush to get the matter transmitter tech on your freighter*, you'll be able to
- access (up to) 120 slots of cargo from anywhere in the universe (you'll need to unlock those slots as you go, you probably start with like 20-40 depending)
- an additional 500 slots of cargo if you happen to be in the same system as it (which doesn't require upgrading to get to, you basically get those 500 slots for nearly-free)

and you can summon it to you from the get-go in yellow-star systems, and upgrade the hyperdrive for red/green/blue systems for summoning-to-you in those as well

so yeah you'll have some spare room

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, the only thing you can't do with your freighter is specifically fly it while you're in it, outside of hyperspace travel. I'd love it if it was more like a starship enterprise, but it's awesome regardless.

I treat it like my real base since Endurance. It's C class and I don't give a gently caress.

I'm actually curious if the inventory overhaul changed anything about what the maximum inventory size is now, it's harder to check safely now that there's no actual "manual" save and I don't want to accidentally blow away my good ship

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 10, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If you rush to get the matter transmitter tech on your frigate,

All of your points are correct and good, and normally I wouldn't give a gently caress about this at all, but I just wanted to clarify for any new player reading that you meant to write 'freighter', since frigates are separate things altogether. :shobon:

Also, to make matters MORE confusing, you unlock tech for your FREIGHTER but collecting and spending salvaged FRIGATE modules.

No, I don't get it either.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

All of your points are correct and good, and normally I wouldn't give a gently caress about this at all, but I just wanted to clarify for any new player reading that you meant to write 'freighter', since frigates are separate things altogether. :shobon:

Also, to make matters MORE confusing, you unlock tech for your FREIGHTER but collecting and spending salvaged FRIGATE modules.

No, I don't get it either.

Fixed, I will never not gently caress that up when spending more than 5 minutes away from this game

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I don't know how it is for actual ships but since the frigates are doing expeditions I always imagine them carrying freight.
Meanwhile the freighters are "Frig that's big!"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I'm actually curious if the inventory overhaul changed anything about what the maximum inventory size is now, it's harder to check safely now that there's no actual "manual" save and I don't want to accidentally blow away my good ship

Jumped into my old expedition save and the A rank freighters look like they cap at 50 tech, 100 cargo

so I guess "technically less space" but with the storage container buff and the fact that there's literally a maximum of 31 freighter tech possible to install period, there's even less reason to fret about S-classing than there was previously

e: C-class caps at 27/50 which is a large oof tbh

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 10, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oh my god they removed the cutscene from activating planetary waypoints :cheersbird:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How about the stargate”s inputting materials into each of the 16 slots every single time? That was pointless garbage.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zesty posted:

How about the stargate”s inputting materials into each of the 16 slots every single time? That was pointless garbage.

That particular pointless garbage remains unchanged.

I feel like a good 80% of the time I could get one spun up and then not need to touch it for a fair while, though, I'm still not sure what actually triggers the "no longer powered" state

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Two things:
- Land craft / the nautilus both benefit significantly from this update in terms of storage space and durability, as they effectively get the tech tab that they previously lacked. I’m zooming around like an idiot in my Nomad

- trade rocket trade rocket TRADE ROCKET. Somebody’s been playing Torchlight 2

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Actually there’s a third thing - they seem to have patched out the sale of oxygen at trade terminals, which sucks if you’re really into efficient conversion of mined gasses into other kinds of gasses.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Basic Chunnel posted:

Actually there’s a third thing - they seem to have patched out the sale of oxygen at trade terminals, which sucks if you’re really into efficient conversion of mined gasses into other kinds of gasses.

You can re-enable it in the difficulty settings (they specifically said they wanted to get away from selling 100% of all the necessary harvestable crap via random shop interfaces), but they also said they increased the efficiency of the portable oxygen harvester so it might be a moot point? I haven't checked to see how much better that efficiency is now.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I've had a survival save going back years. Thought I'd load in to check it out and was poking around in the difficulty settings. I thought I'd try combat at challenging and just intentionally not trigger a save.

Turns out they changed it so it saves automatically now. My save was converted from survival and I'm at a point where I was just lounging around right before I jumped to the center of the galaxy for the survival achievement. There goes my years-old survival save, thanks guys

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Hakarne posted:

So I've had a survival save going back years. Thought I'd load in to check it out and was poking around in the difficulty settings. I thought I'd try combat at challenging and just intentionally not trigger a save.

Turns out they changed it so it saves automatically now. My save was converted from survival and I'm at a point where I was just lounging around right before I jumped to the center of the galaxy for the survival achievement. There goes my years-old survival save, thanks guys

If it makes you feel better you can get to the center of the galaxy exceedingly fast on a new save.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Psyker posted:

If it makes you feel better you can get to the center of the galaxy exceedingly fast on a new save.

I'm down, what's the quickest way to do that? I'll just pop the achievement then happily go about my business.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Setting a portal's coordinates to all the first glyph puts you within like 10k light years of the centre in every galaxy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I haven't tried to sell chlorine yet, but is that still profitable? That's a great use of oxygen. Just need one salt to start it and you're off.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
It was nerfed pretty heavily, Chlorine sells for like 200 per now instead of 700ish before.

E: On that subject I wonder why Trade Terminals no longer sell Life Support Gel/Batteries. While I can kind of get the reasoning behind not selling Oxygen at Trade Terminals I don't know what the point of that decision is. At least you start out with the battery recipe now and they're pretty cheap.

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 11, 2022

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Two things:
- Land craft / the nautilus both benefit significantly from this update in terms of storage space and durability, as they effectively get the tech tab that they previously lacked. I’m zooming around like an idiot in my Nomad

yeah the bike was my favourite before when i had it's inventory all engine and boost upgrades, but now i can actually install all the tech and i have lots of room for cargo, wow

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Hakarne posted:

I'm down, what's the quickest way to do that? I'll just pop the achievement then happily go about my business.

Okay, couple steps here:

Start new game

Get ship

Start following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZErJCbfjqI

Harvest raw materials for portal activations and also harvest nav data as much as possible

Buy Alien Cartography things at space station, use them to find a portal on your starting planet

Get glyphs you need to either get all 16 or stop when you can go to this portal address.

Go to center.

I personally have not done this myself but if I had to guess... maybe a couple hours?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Some wired bugs post patch

-the pulsing heart tech on my living ship is missing
-cant land on planets with living ships
-station mission rewards not being awarded after mission completion

Kinda disappointed that there was no addition of sorting inventory, no ability to mark planets to find while flying in space, and no indication of hemisphere to find those life forms that chose north or south.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

marktheando posted:

They added an animation for it when they added third person mode so I think its no longer a bug but a feature.

That is good to know because I do this more than just walking.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New experimental update coming out that's going to fix a ton of poo poo, including the disappearing warp drive in freighters, and the fact that everyone's Waypoint-updated save will be given a few more tech slots for free. Unsure how many.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1579796558417395712?t=ZRZ8PtVUtt1dq3r-RNR0hw&s=19

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Just fired up the experimental build and I can confirm my freighter now has a hyperdrive. My exosuit also has five additional tech slots despite this being a new game. Oh well, shan't complain.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

New experimental update coming out that's going to fix a ton of poo poo, including the disappearing warp drive in freighters, and the fact that everyone's Waypoint-updated save will be given a few more tech slots for free. Unsure how many.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1579796558417395712?t=ZRZ8PtVUtt1dq3r-RNR0hw&s=19

I went to take a look at the steam discussion forum and lol, lmao

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
A fix? That was fast. Also :lol:, I've already spend some time upgrading ships and suits, I better stop now and wait until the patch hits PS4. I don't want to find out the hard way if the patch adds just some more tech slots or goes up to a fixed number that some light grinding may already overshoot.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I went to take a look at the steam discussion forum and lol, lmao

lol

i got into an argument with a guy whose twitter bio said he is the founder of the galactic hub and suggested he was maybe being a bit dramatic saying hundreds of hours of effort were gone.

quote:

Tell me you don't understand X-Class competitive PVP min-maxing without telling me you don't understand X-Class competitive PVP min-maxing.

No. It's not dramatic at all. "Cumulative" means across the player base. It could possibly be 1,000+ wasted hours even.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

marktheando posted:

lol

i got into an argument with a guy whose twitter bio said he is the founder of the galactic hub and suggested he was maybe being a bit dramatic saying hundreds of hours of effort were gone.

Oh, the galactic hub guy is someone I blocked a few days ago after their 57th Twitter reply of "FIX THIS GAME NOW".

Like sincerely and without delay, gently caress off.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh, the galactic hub guy is someone I blocked a few days ago after their 57th Twitter reply of "FIX THIS GAME NOW".

Like sincerely and without delay, gently caress off.

i knew those guys were no good when i heard they made a cryptocurrency for NMS

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
logging on to my favourite competitive multiplayer game, no man's sky

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

1000 hours lost across the NMS playerbase? So what, 5 minutes each?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

marktheando posted:

lol

I mean honestly I don't doubt it, if you were of a mind to actually legitimately minmax 6 X-ranked anything, the variance is high enough that getting "max rolls" is like lottery ticket odds, and having half of that vanish would be not the greatest feeling

it's just super weird to me that of all the game dev companies that exist, HG is the one I'd think most likely to say "okay maybe let's undo this" without needing to whip yourself into a eyes-ejected-on-a-stream-of-blood-from-your-ruptured-arteries screaming bitchfit about it

otoh if you're spending hundreds of hours minmaxing in a game that's got no pvp scene to speak of and is largely a "chill out and vibe and praise the devs for giving us sitting animations" community, they may have always been one bad patch away from popping like a rotten grape

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like the idea of the galactic hub and spent many hours getting there and also got stuck near there due to an update many years ago but over the years I've really soured on that community.

Primarily because them using glitches to rename planets other people already visited for vanity and did a lot of stuff on just is lame to me.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
How do the sentinel mods work? It seems like they attach to each other, but not other weapon or systems. Are they free floating bonuses that affect everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rick posted:

I like the idea of the galactic hub and spent many hours getting there and also got stuck near there due to an update many years ago but over the years I've really soured on that community.

Primarily because them using glitches to rename planets other people already visited for vanity and did a lot of stuff on just is lame to me.

imo the main appeal is that its cool to see a somewhat populated planet for a change, after so much very very empty space. though it still never really feels like a city

i know there are a few other similar communities with their own capital systems and central regions, though no idea how populated they are or whether they are any better in terms of drama and bullshit