Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Bonaventure posted:

i'm racking my brains trying to remember: what is the name of:

* an upcoming edgy-as-gently caress horror game where you play as a killer hunting down people and eviscerating them
* it's from a controversial studio everyone hates
* the announcement trailer was, like, beta footage and the main character looked like the Going to the Store mannequin dude flopping around

i keep wanting to say "Tormentum" but it's not coming up with anything. it looks awful but it's been on the tip of my tongue for 24 hours

god i know EXACTLY what you're talking about too, wasn't it like, by one of the manhunt devs or something and was meant to be a spiritual successor to those games but leans way too hard into being offensive? I can't remember the name for the life of me but I can picture it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tormentor? From the brilliant minds that brought us uh Agony

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1493440/TORMENTOR/

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

CuddleCryptid posted:

THAT'S IT i knew it was torment-something but looking up "tormentor" earlier didn't yield the correct result and it was driving me crazy

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Cool, a lady in a see-through nightgown tied up and running away from a nude man, awesome!

Steam page posted:

Use an extremely powerful character customization system to make new victims for your prison. Name them, select a tone of voice and add a detailed description on the figure card, and then use the camera to conduct a live stream of her torture!

This definitely won't be used for anything creepy by incels or whoever else!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Read After Burning posted:

Cool, a lady in a see-through nightgown tied up and running away from a nude man, awesome!

Ugh, just reading about the game when it got censored by Sony (I think?) turned me off so hard, I can't believe that steam quote is making it sound even worse somehow.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Read After Burning posted:

let's see what the top community discussion highlighted by Steam is about :

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
what the gently caress

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Watched parts of the Dead Space trailer, just jumping around in it, and I guess they decided to have Isaac talk this time? Really disappointed about that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They said they're treading lightly with Isaac's new dialogue and they're only going to have him talk in places where you'd expect him to and not overdue it.

I'm sure that there will be a mod to remove all of his dialogue anyway if that isn't an option built into the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm gonna mod in all his angry stomping noises in place of his dialogue

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Isaac communicates only via Morse code stomps.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

sigher posted:

They said they're treading lightly with Isaac's new dialogue and they're only going to have him talk in places where you'd expect him to and not overdue it.

I'm sure that there will be a mod to remove all of his dialogue anyway if that isn't an option built into the game.

I suppose it's hard to go back to a voiceless guy who just stares wordlessly as someone monologues to him on the other side of indestructible glass, but man, I just absolutely adored that final scene in the original DS when he takes off his helmet and basically a huge burst of personality radiates out from him, reminding you that this wasn't some faceless entity but some guy who's covered with scratches and bruises, just so loving tired, without saying a single word.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CuddleCryptid posted:

I did it

I found my limit

I found the horror game I won’t play

Achievement unlocked, I win

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
This tiger ghost fight in Dreadout 2 chapter 3 is just terrible. I get to the 2nd fight and it rips me to shreds. When I actually do get the photo off, it doesn't do damage cause it's head isn't in the center as this thing moves fast. I'm giving it a go as it's interesting to see a different cultures takes on spirits and ghosts but I dunno man. I'm on console so maybe it's better with a mouse. Very frustrated.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hey so we just played man of medan and accidentally managed to discover the (bad) mystery and get everyone to survive, the most boring outcome! How are little hope and house of ashes?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Hey so we just played man of medan and accidentally managed to discover the (bad) mystery and get everyone to survive, the most boring outcome! How are little hope and house of ashes?

worse and better, respectively

quarry's better than all of them

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I utterly loathed the quips in The Quarry. It is constant and during wildly inappropriate times. Also Jacob and Emma STINK.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

let's see what the top community discussion highlighted by Steam is about :

Lol I just watched the trailer and this was the first scene

I actually bought Agony for a dollar. wasn't worth it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hector Delgado posted:

This tiger ghost fight in Dreadout 2 chapter 3 is just terrible. I get to the 2nd fight and it rips me to shreds. When I actually do get the photo off, it doesn't do damage cause it's head isn't in the center as this thing moves fast. I'm giving it a go as it's interesting to see a different cultures takes on spirits and ghosts but I dunno man. I'm on console so maybe it's better with a mouse. Very frustrated.

I genuinely just gave up at the game there.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

veni veni veni posted:

Lol I just watched the trailer and this was the first scene

"K.N" in the chat just like "Jesus, this is CLEARLY not the God of War: Ragnarok stream I was looking for! :stare:"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

I actually bought Agony for a dollar. wasn't worth it.

I think that game is genuinely haunted because it and its unrated version were in my steam library before I had heard of the game

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Does anyone have any suggestions for a horror game that can be played with absolute beginner controller skills? My wife loves horror stuff but isn't used to controllers, which puts a lot of non-RPG maker games out. We've already gone through all the Until Dawn-likes from that one studio, but open to others.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think that game is genuinely haunted because it and its unrated version were in my steam library before I had heard of the game

- me, explaing to my friend how "Kaiju love love life love" got into my steam library.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 10, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

anyone here ever play the Dread X collection games? I got the 4th and 5th on a Fanatical sale (sadly over) and theyve been really cool so far. Their gimmick is that they are horror anthology collection games with a bunch of small developers for each collection. Ive only played most of the fourth collection so far, and as expected, the games are hit and miss, but theyve actually mostly been hits for me. Each one was made in a week, so the developers usually lean hard on some strange gimmick or mechanic to give their short games an identity. Theres a wraparound game that ties together all the other games too, but its mostly just walking around a seemingly abandoned artic base so far

I went ahead and bought the first collection since there appears to be a story connecting them all. We'll see if I stick around for all five collections. Im honestly surprised I havent heard of these before because theyre pretty neat

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They're usually pretty good, and if they're not, hey, they're over in an hour.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The story really starts in 2, but yeah, there's very few games I'd call actually bad and even the ones that don't work as well as the others are generally at least trying something interesting. I'm just sad the pace of them slowed - we got spoiled getting three the first year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dread X has been trying to spread into publishing more so like they recently published The Mortuary Assistant which was well received.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also if you're into little indie horror every time there's a big bundle on Itch there's usually some good stuff on there.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

Dread X has been trying to spread into publishing more so like they recently published The Mortuary Assistant which was well received.

I didn't realize they published that, that's great. I didn't play it (my patience for actually playing games that lean into jumpscares has become slim over the years) but watched MrKravin's runs of it and I was pretty impressed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a horror game that can be played with absolute beginner controller skills? My wife loves horror stuff but isn't used to controllers, which puts a lot of non-RPG maker games out. We've already gone through all the Until Dawn-likes from that one studio, but open to others.

If walking sims are an option, maybe Sagebrush or anatomy.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Blockhouse posted:

worse and better, respectively

quarry's better than all of them

The best way to play these is drunk and in a big group.

The bad ending is really having everyone survive, because it's boring. We played the Quarry as dickheaded horny teens and it made it a lot better to just lean into the chaos and watch these horrid little fuckers die in so many gruesome ways.

Little Hope was horrendous, we couldn't even finish it, it was just boring.

House of Ashes was our favorite, but the Quarry was cool too. I guess we went into House of Ashes without seeing the trailers or anything so it was cool how things escalated in ways I did not originally expect.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mr. Grapes! posted:

The best way to play these is drunk and in a big group.

Little Hope was horrendous, we couldn't even finish it, it was just boring.

That sucks. I had high hopes for it. Now I have almost none.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

House of Ashes was mostly good but the pacing sucked at times. Man of Medan started strong but ended dumb as gently caress. I didn't play little hope cause everyone hates it.

Can't wait until the quarry is $20 or less.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I had too much work so I could only play part of little hope. It seems only Angela (the mature student) was bringing in her A game while the rest were just phoning it in, although the professor had some ok moments. I'm sure the game wants me to get Angela killed but her response to everything is so good I'm making sure she survives

In contrast everyone in man of medan was just so stilted especially Alex (the muscle), I deliberately had Julia reject his dumbass proposal and managed to get her to break up with him, but luckily I knew what decompression sickness was so she didn't die like an idiot after surviving the bullshit ship

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 12, 2022

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Little hope was fine until the ending which sucked. But most of the way through was plenty entertaining especially with a group of friends trying to get everyone killed. It is the weakest of the series though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Nah I'm with everyone else, even playing in the dumbest way possible to get everyone killed my group of friends thought Little Hope was powerfully boring, and it's the only one of the Supermassive games that any of them just checked out on completely. It's the worst of all the games by a solid stretch, though some of the possible outcomes of Medan do give it a run for its money. It also has some of the blandest and worst written cutscenes propped up by some pretty dire performances, and the vast majority of the game is extremely boring environments. If I had to guess I'd say most of the problems are probably a result of being badly rushed as part of the push to start the whole yearly Dark Pictures release schedule, because so much about the game felt like cut corners. I genuinely don't think it's worth the time it takes to play.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It seems like it might be dependent on how you play the games. I thought little hope was the best of the series (except for the terrible ending) but I also played it late at night with just my wife and I watching and wanting to be spooked, and the atmosphere is what made it good. If you have like six people there having a let's play video games party then that's more of a Man of Medan kind of environment.

Ashes was a lot more action based game, and Man was really predictable (I mean, who didn't call the twist the second you saw the guy wigging out in the hallway in the intro) so it's a better game for groups.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There’s no way little hope is worse than hidden agenda or the inpatient.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

There’s no way little hope is worse than hidden agenda or the inpatient.

Honestly I forgot they both existed, and hate you for reminding me of them

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I liked Little Hope better than Man of Medan, but both have lame twists. House of Ashes was good. The Quarry is a super solid Until Dawn successor though. I think the next one sounds interesting too, The Devil in Me, fuckin jump button and inventory and poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I find it funny how they made Man of Medan's biggest name actor and cover star, Shawn Ashmore, incredibly easy to miss out on nearly the entire story. In my first playthrough I got him off the boat at the start and then he was just out of the game until the very end