Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1579908537974595584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

After all the loving about a lot of people are gonna do a whole lot of finding out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Your right we need Brexit 2, that will solve it

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

njsykora posted:

After all the loving about a lot of people are gonna do a whole lot of finding out.

Yeah except the bankers have been doing the loving about and the elderly are going to be doing the finding out.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l7H1Y9ihqk

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If you live in England I'm sorry for you but on the other hand as an American it's so refreshing that y'all are out there doing your things and making us look slightly not as bad.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Behold, the Meta-workplace

https://twitter.com/ecommerceshares/status/1579940535024103424

Surely, this was worth billions

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I love how they think they could solve sexual harassment by making sure no one has a crotch.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I wonder who’s going to be the first person to get fired for tea bagging the boss?

It’s gonna be a revolution in HR policies.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Honest question because I think the metaverse is stupid no matter what, but do we think this would be popular if it didn’t look like poo poo? Like if they had something that looked like it came out of PS5 game, or Disney movie CGI, would this all of a sudden be popular?

Personally, I have no desire to sit around with a VR headset on, but I’m an out of touch old man now. I don’t know what’s popular with the kids.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
At my office people hate turning on their camera in Zoom/Teams.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I got some Vtuber software through a Humble Bundle deal and I wish my company still let us use our personal computers for work so I could call into a Teams meeting as a talking Hamburger or cat.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Vrchat already exists and has captured the (relatively small) VR social media audience already.
If facebookvrchat looked good enough I guess it could steal some of VRC's userbase, at least the portion of them who aren't too worried about fb tracking and selling all the data about everything they do inside, or the commercialization where they want you to basically spend money for every interaction, buying and selling user-generated content.

Also Secondlife exists and does basically everything Horizon Worlds wants to, besides being in VR.
It's a little 'virtual world' where everything is user-generated content bought and sold for real money, and basically nobody uses it except some niche RP communities because there's nothing to really do besides play dressup with your avatar and chat. (Also it's old and ugly as poo poo.)

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Probably going to have a hard time finding someone under 35 on these forums in 2022.

I dont think graphics are really the issue, just the concept of "the real world, but with more ads and/or an API for your employer to track your work participation" isnt compelling.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I also don’t want to be in a virtual meeting wearing a vr headset instead of paying 25% attention while browsing the internet and talking poo poo about the presenter on slack

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I don’t think VR is the future.

But in 2005 I read that a lot of Silicon Valley leaders thought that mobile devices were going to be the future, and I thought that was bullshit. Then I predicted that virtualized computers (and AWS) would undergo commoditization and profits would approach zero.

So I don’t have a good track record.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

You missed one of the better parts from the Times article:

quote:

Inside Meta, two employees said, some workers now jokingly refer to key metaverse projects as M.M.H., an acronym for “make Mark happy.”

Think of the hours now being spent scouring every email and slack archive for every single mention of "MMH"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Not sure if establishing a fashion brand is better or worse than opening up a restoraunt. It'll probably lose you money more quickly, but in the long run you won't get buried as deep before eventually declaring bankruptcy.

https://old.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/y1p3oa/want_to_open_a_small_fashion_brand_selling_clothes/ posted:

I want to open a small fashion brand with my partner. How do we proceed? Do we need to register the company somewhere? (We are in Quebec). Is there some sources where I can read up more on this? Having a hard time finding relevant information and it's all very confusing. We probably will have very little sales as we open our ecommerce store.

What about brand name? Is a trademark required or I can just register the company with the brand name? It's all so confusing, please help.

W-w-wedding chaaat

https://old.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/y1ft64/how_big_is_the_south_asian_wedding_industry_and/ posted:

Currently starting to plan my brother's wedding and parents are budgeting 200-225k over 4 days (5 events) with 600 guests. I attended 12 weddings this summer and each couple spent at least 175k for their wedding week. These events were all in the GTA.

This got me thinking about how big the industry is and if it is even immune to a recession. Due to the culture, throwing huge celebrations is the norm and I don't see people cutting back on this even during rising interest rates/increased cost of living. It's kind of like the skyrocketing home prices that we saw but with (potentially?) no ceiling. And people aren't shying away from using HELOC/LOC/personal loans to pay for these huge events.

In 2016, the average cost reported by CBC was 100k, I wouldn't be surprised if it hits 300k within the next few years with catering, venue, decoration, clothing, hotel, etc. prices rising. What do people think?

Bonus: Paying 5 figures to a non-accredited private school run by a volatile person who bragged about not reading a book https://twitter.com/FriendEden100/status/1578286182013845507

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Bonus: Paying 5 figures to a non-accredited private school run by a volatile person who bragged about not reading a book https://twitter.com/FriendEden100/status/1578286182013845507

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Vice President posted:

You missed one of the better parts from the Times article:

Think of the hours now being spent scouring every email and slack archive for every single mention of "MMH"

If there's not a :mmh: emoji in their Slack, that's a missed opportunity.

But yeah, put me on the "too old to get this" boat. There ... just isn't a market here. Maybe there are some niche use cases if they can introduce some things that aren't easy for a remote team in the real world, like a team building escape room? But in general people aren't going to want that for regular meetings. Maybe they can sell some avatars? The market here just isn't in the billions. Slack, which is an integral part of corporate communications for a pile of corporations, went for $27b. How is the "metaverse" supposed to get to even a fraction of that if it's only useful in edge cases?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

lifg posted:

But in 2005 I read that a lot of Silicon Valley leaders thought that mobile devices were going to be the future, and I thought that was bullshit. Then I predicted that virtualized computers (and AWS) would undergo commoditization and profits would approach zero.

It actually took a long time for a lot of companies to come around on mobile. This is part of why so many have fallen for the "web3" trap, they don't want to miss out again like they did on mobile. They somehow seem to not realize that the iphone only dropped a year before the bitcoin paper and in all that time while mobile has become insanely dominant and a huge part of the modern world, crypto is still just scams and crimes.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Bird in a Blender posted:

Honest question because I think the metaverse is stupid no matter what, but do we think this would be popular if it didn’t look like poo poo? Like if they had something that looked like it came out of PS5 game, or Disney movie CGI, would this all of a sudden be popular?

Personally, I have no desire to sit around with a VR headset on, but I’m an out of touch old man now. I don’t know what’s popular with the kids.

That demo video showed someone sitting down in front of a bunch of virtual desktop screens. If you have people in your VR environment sitting and looking at desktop screens, then you have fundamentally misunderstood the entire VR concept so severely that you product is doomed.

There was a puff piece last Friday from a NY Times journalist who decided or might have been secretly bribed by Meta to spend hours in Horizon Worlds over several weeks. Even trying her hardest to be super-positive about the experience, her praise basically boils down to "Horizon Worlds reminded me of the AOL chat rooms". Given how hard the NY Times came down on Meta in their Sunday piece, I wonder if they let this weirdly effusive article get published just to keep Meta from knowing what was coming.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Yeah that's part of it, VR Chat is basically what you're describing and it's the 28th most popular game on Steam right now, by current active players.

https://store.steampowered.com/charts/mostplayed

But also VR Chat is a ton of people just having virtual sex, making use of the ability to make interesting custom avatars, upgrading it with full body tracking to really get wild. A lot of the stuff that Facebook wouldn't want to let you do because it wouldn't monetize well or it would "scare" people away.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

The reviews of the new facebook Quest Pro headset are in and apparently it is not impressive:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/meta-quest-pro-a-1-500-virtual-reality-headset-for-working-in-the-metaverse-11665507778 posted:

And no, during my demos, the avatars still didn’t have legs. A Meta spokeswoman had declined to comment prior to publication. At the event Tuesday, however, Mr. Zuckerberg said legs are coming soon to Horizon, the company’s VR hangout platform.

Legs are hard, which is why other virtual-reality systems don’t have them either,” he said, explaining that the challenge is that there are no sensors looking at your lower body. The system will use AI to approximate leg position, he added.

Chainclaw posted:

But also VR Chat is a ton of people just having virtual sex, making use of the ability to make interesting custom avatars, upgrading it with full body tracking to really get wild. A lot of the stuff that Facebook wouldn't want to let you do because it wouldn't monetize well or it would "scare" people away.

Can't have metaverse sex if your avatar has nothing below the belt.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
lol, I thought the legs thing was a joke when I saw it earlier but apparently not

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If there's not a :mmh: emoji in their Slack, that's a missed opportunity.

But yeah, put me on the "too old to get this" boat. There ... just isn't a market here. Maybe there are some niche use cases if they can introduce some things that aren't easy for a remote team in the real world, like a team building escape room? But in general people aren't going to want that for regular meetings. Maybe they can sell some avatars? The market here just isn't in the billions. Slack, which is an integral part of corporate communications for a pile of corporations, went for $27b. How is the "metaverse" supposed to get to even a fraction of that if it's only useful in edge cases?

The Brandon Cronenberg movie Possessor features a "metaverse" workplace where you report to your dreary corporate 4' x 4' cubicle and put on a VR headset and move your fingers to type on a virtual keyboard and have an infinite number of monitors inside your own VR space to do work (this isn't the first movie to do this but being extremely recent it feels so much more possible then say, the SQUID in Strange Days back in 1995 did). That's the future these people want. They can pretend it's for happy fun time productivity meetings all they want but every boomer middle manager is salivating over the possibility of making sure workers are seated and strapped in so they can't possibly do anything else from home but work.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The question with any application context for meta is what the meta adds relative to prior systems. In terms of workplace conduct, the entire VR setup is basically a layer of interfering mediation on all existing work actions or software, which are already intended to be pared down and at least reasonably efficient at what they do. There is nothing in a VR environment that I wouldn't get better and for much less money by just adding an additional monitor to my system.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I definitely have the question of "if they're trying to sell all-in-one systems for this, what does the backend look like and how well does it interact with actual software the company probably uses". If someone sends you an Excel file, what does the Quest do with that if the goal is to just assign you one of the headsets instead of a workstation?

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

secretly best girl posted:

I definitely have the question of "if they're trying to sell all-in-one systems for this, what does the backend look like and how well does it interact with actual software the company probably uses". If someone sends you an Excel file, what does the Quest do with that if the goal is to just assign you one of the headsets instead of a workstation?

With the cloud it will just be virtualized desktops. This is possible now, and in many cases is extremely good with money for companies because they can ditch buying hardware and just pay to host virtual machines in Azure or wherever and you just sit down at your browser and log in to a virtual machine, Office and Google Apps are already in the cloud. It's not the greatest experience IMHO but it does work. You're just trading looking at a Chrome tab with your work on it for a floating rectangle in your metaverse office containing your work.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So exactly what we have now but a lot more uncomfortable and expensive and ugly/counterintuitive and a security/privacy nightmare?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
One day, whether in our lifetimes or after, I imagine VR will be a normal thing people use.

PoVRnhub is the future.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
VR and AR as general technologies have some interesting applications, and it’s hard to know how widely they’ll catch on. Zuck’s vision of the Metaverse as an virtual but otherwise ordinary shared physical space, on the other hand, is pointless. If you’ve got a real reason to be in a shared physical space, the Metaverse almost certainly isn’t good enough. If you don’t, then you probably don’t get a whole lot from being in a virtual shared physical space.

Like, consider needing to talk to someone. The Metaverse lets you have virtual face-to-face meetings, and the advantage is that it lets you do this without physical travel and without competing for meeting space. But is that useful? It’s still a meeting, which makes it bad for just passing information or having really deep discussions; for that you want something asynchronous. Meetings can be helpful for forcing progress on a decision, but that comes from having a planned agenda, not from physical presence; Zoom does the same thing with the exact same upsides of not needing travel or meeting space. If anything, in a meeting like that you want to be able to read people’s honest reactions, so talking to an avatar is strictly worse than being on camera, and way worse than being in person. If you’re having a meeting between abstract avatars, why not just have a conference call or a text chat?

At best, it’s just fetishizing the possibilities of infinite virtual space without seriously thinking through how things work in actual physical space. And then you add in all the terrible ideas, like valuable property in an infinite and indistinguishable expanse, and it’s just hilariously misconceived.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Cerekk posted:

Yeah except the bankers have been doing the loving about and the elderly are going to be doing the finding out.

Exactly the opposite.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

KingSlime posted:

So exactly what we have now but a lot more uncomfortable and expensive and ugly/counterintuitive and a security/privacy nightmare?

"Uncomfortable" is a fun way to say a third of people using it will vomit and/or get migraines that can last hours after they're done using it.

I'm sure VR is very fun for people who can use it but this poo poo does not belong in any workplace. If this country had any meaningful ADA enforcement this nonsense wouldn't exist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

We wish.

NFL is apparently gearing up for NFTs and only see $$$$ ahead. So the idea is "if we throw even more money at it surely it'll be more successful!"

my thoughts : :fuckoff:

A lot of these businesses started their NFT plans months ago at this point and clearly didn't expect the market to completely collapse and the idea to become a laughing stock by the time they actually brought a product to market. There's a reason all the ape poo poo is minimum-effort, you need to get it to market while there's still enough suckers left to fleece.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Oh simple. It would run like poo poo and have similar problems of uncanny valley and glaring visual glitches from day one. Eventually it's also horrifically not ADA compliant in any way (deaf/blind/paralyzed/disabled people are told to get hosed by vr tech), but because it's not adopted as useful tech hard enough (and won't be as it's a novelty), that hasn't been looked into. It's effectively rich people masturbating via spending billions on ideas that won't necessarily do anything. It's why Carmack hates it.

They're not going to get every employee an nvidia rtx 4080 or something just to be able to work.

It's right in line with Bitcoin fantasy and standard megalomaniac/narcissistic tendencies combined with a splash of dunning Kruger, just with Zuck instead of Musk or Thiel or Trump or Assange or McAfee or Kanye. The list goes on and on.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 12, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Vice President posted:

With the cloud it will just be virtualized desktops. This is possible now, and in many cases is extremely good with money for companies because they can ditch buying hardware and just pay to host virtual machines in Azure or wherever and you just sit down at your browser and log in to a virtual machine, Office and Google Apps are already in the cloud. It's not the greatest experience IMHO but it does work. You're just trading looking at a Chrome tab with your work on it for a floating rectangle in your metaverse office containing your work.

Virtualized desktops are pretty universally garbage in my experience. Every single one I've tried offers no new and exciting features, but a distinctly worse UI that requires more clicks to accomplish the same thing as the stand-alone desktop program that was deprecated a few years back in favour of its inbred online-only cousin, and usually bad enough infrastructure that newly created files and folders won't show up for close to five minutes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

lifg posted:

I was an early adopter with smart phones, used Palm Treos for a while before the iPhone. What I completely missed the prediction on tablets. I worked at Best Buy at the time and when we launched the iPad I laughed and told everyone "These are going to fall so hard. Who's going to spend the same amount you could buy a laptop for just to get a larger iPhone that can't even make calls"

Ah good times

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's effectively rich people masturbating via spending billions on ideas that won't necessarily do anything. It's why Carmack hates it.

Carmack was telling people they needed to get over forcing Facebook accounts on the Quest and did his talk yesterday from his Horizon avatar. Carmack thinks whatever he’s told to think so long as the checks are clearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Virtual reality doesn’t really solve anything.

Smart phones made the ability to get information on the go easier.

Tablets (which I also thought would flop) made it easier to consume / browse the internet.

Biggest obstacle to VR is the headset. It kills social gaming if you’re in the same room IMO, and in general because it overtakes your entire sight, it’s like jumping in a pool.

It hasn’t taken off, and I don’t think it will, but augmented reality is way more likely than virtual reality. Less gateways, you don’t need a headset, you already see it via your phone camera. I think it’s still a bit too clunky to really pick up behind niche cases and some games.