Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
nothing wrong with having a bit of fun with camera yall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I have a Zero Image 4x5 75D. It's f/138 at 25mm, f/176 at 50mm, and f/216.5 at 75mm. I've used it almost exclusively at 75mm, which is already quite wide for 4x5.

These are all photos of gravestones, taken with the camera at 75mm about 12-18" away from the subject. I made a table of subject distance to field of view to help me compose.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

MrBlandAverage posted:

These are all photos of gravestones, taken with the camera at 75mm about 12-18" away from the subject. I made a table of subject distance to field of view to help me compose.
These are rad as hell

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Legit that looks like a graveyard for people named Derrick?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

VelociBacon posted:

Legit that looks like a graveyard for people named Derrick?

More like Viktor, Roman, and Vladimir.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cross post, expired film for sale.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085&pagenumber=53&perpage=40&userid=0#post526648042

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Good news: the Russian 140mm f/1.8 petzval projection lens I ordered on eBay a while ago showed up from :ukraine:

Bad news: definitely doesn't cover 4x5. I could find no information at all on LF coverage before I ordered it so took a gamble, a week later some guy on Reddit posted claiming he'd used it for 4x5 but didn't like the sharpness, maybe he had it mistaken for the planar version or something. Even 6x9 looks like it vignettes in the corners a bit, it also has to be so close it'll be only pretty tight headshots with no DoF. I still haven't had a chance to crack open my Rittreck and try to unjam the shutter, so it's kind of academic at this point anyways. It juuuust barely fits in the throat of the lensboard hole so I do wanna try it if I can get the thing working again.

edit: my partner got home so I tried framing it with her; it's not a bad crop for a face portrait, but the Rittreck doesn't have a rotating back so it'll be annoying to use. Maybe I should see if I can get a baby Graflex SLR...

I can definitely make an adapter to shoot a smaller plate in a 4x5 holder pretty easily in the meantime, not sure how worth it it'll be given the limitations, but I've already started the print for the lensboard so might as well see how it goes.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 1, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Megabound posted:

My Rittreck is a bit different to yours but here's an album with photos from my ongoing service. It's been quite easy to work on except for my current fight which is getting the curtain tension rollers out. I can't figure that one out and I need to to replace the curtain ribbons.

You can see them here, the 2 brass gears at the bottom right are what set the tension and it looks like they're threaded onto those rods but I've had no luck getting them off.

Probably seen this, but just in case you haven't, Japanese guide on taking the shutter curtain out and replacing it. There's part of the mechanism he can't figure out how to get out either, but can get it apart enough to remove the curtain and install a new one.

I was coming in to ask where you'd start if I can't get the shutter to fire. The curtain is closed (looks to be in good shape), mirror is down, and when I wind it I can see the mirror do a little jump/hop at one point in the rotation. I was able to fire the camera once when I first got it, but the shutter button doesn't seem to have gone back out, and I've had no luck using a cable release either.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hopefully this will help, in the top right hand corner of this first vid there should be a ratchet mechanism that disengages and allows the shutter to start its journey.

https://i.imgur.com/cKakWFz.mp4

On the other side there's the gear on the top left with holes around its centre. Those holes are for the shutter speed selection pin to drop into. It's a stack of gears, the top one releases the first curtain and as it spins the pin in there kicks a ratchet out of the way and releases the second curtain.

https://i.imgur.com/BxZQXUC.mp4

You are able to get both sides completely torn down without removing the curtains or messing with the timing and it's pretty straight forward imo. I'd say something is just too greasy and not moving like it should.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Oh, I just remembered, my problem with the shutter not releasing was with the mirror not going as far up as it should. Push the mirror up further and try to release it again.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Does 120 count as MF here?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

theHUNGERian posted:

^
Very nice!

Sorry in advance if this question is silly/bad, but why do people like pinhole cameras that use 120 film? Doesn't diffraction completely ruin the resolution of the final negative? Seems to me like a terrible use for 120 film. In addition, what subject matters work well with pinhole cameras? I've looked at countless pictures and I don't get it so far, but perhaps I have been looking at the wrong images.

People shoot pinhole on 120 for the same reason they shoot anything on 120, more resolution! Just because the charactertics of the image/lens are soft, doesn't mean it's not an improvement to have more information from the larger negative.

Viginti Septem posted:

I think 120 counts as medium format everywhere?

MrBlandAverage posted:

These are amazing!

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

frogbs posted:

I think 120 counts as medium format everywhere?

I dont 6x4.5 counts though

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Viginti Septem posted:

God I hope so otherwise I'm going to need to delete all my posts here and ban myself

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I dont 6x4.5 counts though

Personally anything larger than 35mm = Medium Format. 6x4.5 is much larger than 35, so I think it's worthy of being 'medium'.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

frogbs posted:

Personally anything larger than 35mm = Medium Format. 6x4.5 is much larger than 35, so I think it's worthy of being 'medium'.

My first 120 camera was a 645 bronica so I can say that.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

645 is certainly medium format, but I sold my 645 because it wasn't medium format "enough".

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
645 is half frame MF.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Re: pinhole, I got one and this will certainly take some getting used to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

That's from a pinhole camera? It's fantastic. I don't believe you.

e: now that I'm on my computer and looking at it, can see that it is pinhole. That's wild.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 24, 2022

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, I think the subject is 100% to credit for it looking halfway decent. The rest of the roll was garbage - mostly my fault of course. Will try it in 6x9 next time.

Anyway, different camera:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Oh hell yeah

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh gently caress yeah bud

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Really like this one, nice work!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

It's rude how good this is

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

It's rude how good this is

Full disclosure: I used the HDR slider to mask some of the vignetting. :negative:

But many thanks anyway.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

these are both cool

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

The camera repair gods were smiling upon me today; managed to free the 150mm Sonnar I bought on holiday in Japan earlier this year that got stuck on my 500C/M in the middle of the trip. I tried everything I could think of to get it off; setting it next to the heater or in the freezer, using the little silver screw behind the barn doors (normal fix, if it's just the lens/body getting desynced), etc, nothing.

I found a repair tech in Australia a few weeks ago but got busy with work and only got around to packing it up to send to him this morning, thought I'd give it one more try and... it came loose!

Found the likely culprit, not really sure how it happened or if it came like this:

Tried to bend it back with some small locking pliers but not small enough to do the job.

Hopefully I can find a replacement part, gonna ask the tech if he has one he can sell me. Doesn't seem hard to get to but about half the screws holding the back plate on did not want to budge, going to hit them with some penetrating oil and then freeze it to see if they can be persuaded.

Hassie is working like a champ with my other lenses, quite a relief and pretty stoked to not be out $220+postage (and not have the camera for another month) :kiddo:

Gonna dig into that Rittreck 6x9 SLR next week, thanks again for all the resources Megabound!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Is it worth picking up a cheap Pentax Spotmeter (model IV) for medium format? I got one on my local craigslist.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Pondex posted:

Is it worth picking up a cheap Pentax Spotmeter (model IV) for medium format? I got one on my local craigslist.

Yeah, definitely. I have an old Pentax spot meter, I think it's the V, and have absolutely beat on it for like 15 years over 3 continents, still works great. I think I bought a new battery for it when I got it, but I'm pretty sure I haven't changed it since.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Would anyone here who’s shot Portra 400 on multiple different 120 cameras and in particular also with the electronic Mamiya 6 characterize that camera’s lenses’ color rendition as somewhat muted compared to the likes of Zeiss or Pentax?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Would anyone here who’s shot Portra 400 on multiple different 120 cameras and in particular also with the electronic Mamiya 6 characterize that camera’s lenses’ color rendition as somewhat muted compared to the likes of Zeiss or Pentax?

I have a Mamyia 6. I wouldn't say the colors are muted but the meter in mine wants to slightly under expose almost all of the time, more so if the sky above is brighter than what the camera is pointing at, but those shots are pretty obviously under exposed. My only comparison is a Fuji GS645 that I have not shot with that much, and I've never scanned my own 120 color film.

000468240003 by Michael, on Flickr

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 25, 2023

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Has there been a conversation already about shooting LF X ray film? I got a pack of Fuji HRU I’mma cut down to 4x5 under safelight and notch the top right edge with a hole punch. Figure I start around 64 ISO and play around from there?

Anybody try filters with X-ray film? Red might as well be a lens cap, right? So weird unusual filters like blue and 85B might have some interesting effects. Or am I thinking of this backwards?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
There have been a few people who have posted in the film thread about shooting 4x5 x-ray, but it's been a long while.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Odoyle posted:

Has there been a conversation already about shooting LF X ray film? I got a pack of Fuji HRU I’mma cut down to 4x5 under safelight and notch the top right edge with a hole punch. Figure I start around 64 ISO and play around from there?

Anybody try filters with X-ray film? Red might as well be a lens cap, right? So weird unusual filters like blue and 85B might have some interesting effects. Or am I thinking of this backwards?

Most of the time people shooting Xray film buy it as cheap ULF film, there aren't a tonne of people who use it for 4x5 like you do (and not many of us goons who do ULF, although I'm hoping to buy a bigger camera when I move to the US later this year where they're a bit easier to find)

I've got a big bag of assorted drop in filters from AliExpress for like $45 I've been meaning to try with wetplate (also orthochromatic) but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Turns out you don’t need to notch x ray film; you can load in safe light, and it’s double-sided anyway. I’ll shoot tomorrow if conditions permit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Odoyle posted:

Turns out you don’t need to notch x ray film; you can load in safe light, and it’s double-sided anyway. I’ll shoot tomorrow if conditions permit.

handle it gently, double sided means there's twice the emulsion to scratch