Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ghost Leviathan posted:

UFO Aftermath also has giant hermit crabs using cars as shells iirc.

If you look carefully on the trailer body, you can see a cow, indicating that it's a milk tanker. No wonder ol' crabby grew up big and strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I keep losing track of what's going on this storyline, but it still pulls me in with absurd punchlines like the last panel

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Tummy Tuck Jack allows God to drain him, thereby entering his service! Back at the Jodocus Manor ruins, Joost and Eren encounter a bizarre fellow!

Read right to left:

Chapter 18 - Catch the Thieves and Find the Aliens 1: END

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Oct 11, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think we've all been in one of those cars before. That's just being resourceful

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

king dang just gonna read his daughters diary like a cad

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Isn't she his wife? Number like 17 or 18?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I don't think they actually have any kind of legal entanglement like that. A kingdom needs a king and a princess. Those are their roles, almost as if they were handed down by the Dead Man himself.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Herr Bazooka posted:

His wife would be the queen, not the princess

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

king dang just gonna read his daughters diary like a cad

Herr Bazooka posted:

marshmallow creep posted:

I don't think they actually have any kind of legal entanglement like that. A kingdom needs a king and a princess. Those are their roles, almost as if they were handed down by the Dead Man himself.

some plague rats posted:

His wife would be the queen, not the princess
I've read back all the way through once and started-and-caught-up several times and this never occurred to me.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the previous queen's husband was a prince :colbert:

I never thought that of that before. makes sense.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

their exact relation does come up later so I guess stay tuned!

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Osmosisch posted:

Besides everything else that is great about this comic, I just absolutely adore that he had the inspiration and took the effort to draw a little fizzy pop effect for the freshly-poured soft drink. He's just so grounded, I love it.

e: My absolute favourite Boulet always gives me an instant sense memory and transports me back to childhood. It's gorgeous.

Another boomer ignoring the social and enviromental efficacy of public transport to indulge thier childish nostalgia.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
lol at the sweat going upwards on Sherlock Holmes’ face before the reveal

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1579895743695159298

lol

I thought he had a big master plan this whole time

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1579916978525204480

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Or DOES he????

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Sofia Warren recently posted on instagram that she was selling prints of some comics. I messaged her asking if she'd do this one for me and she agreed, so I just may in fact own the only print of this comic now. :)

I also found this classic New Yorker cartoon in the national baseball hall of fame museum

Plus some more that made me laugh

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

lmao

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Tony Lazuto says "dig".

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

This one is my favourite, please keep posting these.

I do find it amusing that Christian stuff gets lumped in with all the other mythic and folktale stuff. Also, Orthodox eyebeams! I like those too!

No Whispers of the Screw this chapter, don't know why.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Technocrat posted:

Tony Lazuto says "dig".

I like the touch that compared to all her lying earlier in this arc, being in lethal danger is the one time teen Val isn't sweating.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Silly Newbie posted:

I feel like visual and some multimedia art is analog where music and the written word is digital. Not in the medium, but in the perception. Words and (mostly) music are composed of definite concepts. A group of characters is a word or it isn't. If you compose several groups of characters that aren't words together, they aren't art, they're a concept. Musical notes, at least to my understanding, can be defined the same way - it's a note or it's not. Visual art doesn't have to exist in the same kind of defined space. We can narrow the definition of "blue" down to a mathematical visual spectrum, but we can still debate where it ends and crosses into other colors.

Anyway I'll have a six piece spicy nugget and a chocolate frosty.

Written words as "digital" is an interesting idea. Whereas, yeah, visual perception is weird and guys like Van Gogh are more than capable of making orange look like blue and green look like red. Something to aspire to, at least.

Emzedoh posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozi

He doesn't actually hate music, he hates the expensive musical performances and other indulgences popular among the ruling class of his time. He was just a real practical, hard headed kind of philosopher.

Anyway, other interesting things about Mozi:
- He argued against both Confucians and Daoists.
- He condemned wars of aggression on no uncertain terms. Given that he was living in the Warring States period, he had plenty to condemn. In fact, it's said that he and his followers engaged in military action to defend states and cities he judged to be victims of wars of expansion.
- Speaking of his followers, Mozi led a utopian paramilitary movement: he could tax, judge, punish and even under some circumstances put his followers to death. It was apparently quite a demanding and austere lifestyle.
- Speaking of austerity, for sure he was. "What is the purpose of houses? It is to protect us from the wind and cold of winter, the heat and rain of summer, and to keep out robbers and thieves. Once these ends have been secured, that is all. Whatever does not contribute to these ends should be eliminated."
- He also came out swinging against the traditional clan and filial piety system, promoting universal and impartial love as opposed to ... tiered affection? Liking people you know more? This is pretty loving spicy for ancient China just so you know.
- After the Qin united China, Mohism basically vanishes and was probably violently suppressed. This is a little ironic because the Legalist school of thought adopted by the Qin finds many of its antecedents in Mohism thinking.

Ahh, that's the stuff. Terrifyingly austere courageous philosopher dudes are great fun to read about. But I'm also very glad I don't have to deal with them personally.
What's that old Thomas a Kempis line? "You are courageous enough, so long as nothing adverse befalls you"

Kit Walker posted:

I think it’s not actually possible for every idea to be written or explored, and that’s specifically because of the iterative properties of creative works. By which I mean, every time something is created, it builds on what came before, but also recontextualizes it. Every piece of work changes culture, changes how we view the past, and opens up new stories that can be told. A book written in 2022 would simply not have been possible to write 50 years ago because everything in between was necessary for its creation. And likewise a story written in the 70s gets interpreted differently now. Even if you took all the most basic story beats of some old piece of fiction and decided to rewrite it today, you’d produce a totally different narrative

That makes sense. So a book isn't just a book, it exists in relation to every other book, or every other book that particular reader has read, which will be different to what another reader has read. Endless recursive fractal possibilities.
There has to be a French or German word for all this.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Tenebrais posted:

I like the touch that compared to all her lying earlier in this arc, being in lethal danger is the one time teen Val isn't sweating.

Fear of death pales in comparison to fear of Mom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

If you've written yourself into a corner, have someone escalate to ridiculous levels.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Tree Bucket posted:

That makes sense. So a book isn't just a book, it exists in relation to every other book, or every other book that particular reader has read, which will be different to what another reader has read. Endless recursive fractal possibilities.
There has to be a French or German word for all this.

canon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

:hmmyes:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Doublepost, but, I just saw this and it sounded cool as hell

https://www.smbc-comics.com/bea/
For anyone not clicking the link, Zach Weinersmith (SMBC comics) and Boulet have teamed up to do an illustrated retelling of Beowulf as a children's tale.

Synopsis posted:

Listen! Hear a tale of mallow-munchers and warriors who answer candy’s clarion call!

Somewhere in a generic suburb stands Treeheart, a kid-forged sanctuary where generations of tireless tykes have spent their youths making merry, spilling soda, and staving off the shadow of adulthood. One day, these brave warriors find their fun cut short by their nefarious neighbor Grindle, who can no longer tolerate the sounds of mirth seeping into his joyless adult life.

As the guardian of gloom lays siege to Treeheart, scores of kids suddenly find themselves transformed into pimply teenagers and sullen adults! The survivors of the onslaught cry out for a savior—a warrior whose will is unbreakable and whose appetite for mischief is unbounded.

They call for Bea Wolf.

First chapter can be read at the link

It's coming out a little late for X-mas, but might be a good gift for my niece.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Boulet and weinersmith seems like a solid combo, a guy who draws great but sucks at writing teaming up with a guy who can't draw and also his writing is terrible

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Maybe negative writing skill is multiplicative rather than additive

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

some plague rats posted:

Boulet and weinersmith seems like a solid combo, a guy who draws great but sucks at writing teaming up with a guy who can't draw and also his writing is terrible

Yeah he should have teamed up with Branson Reese who can’t draw and only has a single joke

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boulet should team up with Ronnie. Combined, they'll be the equivalent of four artists (by weight).

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Kate draws herself into today’s Hark! A Vagrant. We also have one of the all-time classics. (I posted these in the PYF Tweets thread earlier and only just now realized my mistake. I am very overworked.)

You see, on my lunch break I went to Italy and back (and back in time also)

Yeah man, you have to respect Tom Connors.

Oh ladies, must you disrupt science with your emotions? And your underwear?

Though you may get the idea, I really can’t draw fire. Should I be including wikipedia entries for these? Perhaps.

Not again, Margaret (MokBa’s note: if this is Canada’s perception of her, no wonder people think Justin’s father might secretly be Castro)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I just finished reading Beaton's memoir Ducks, and oof. loving oof. It's very, very good but it's a hard read.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Stompin’ Tom Connors whole deal is he stomps on a plywood board while playing his music to keep time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Boulet also did concept art for one of the Adventure Time HBO Max specials a while back

(More can be seen here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah he should have teamed up with Branson Reese who can’t draw and only has a single joke

what a weird defensive response. do you think he's my dad or something and I'll be offended that you don't like him