Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Calhanol posted:

Are normal paints good with zenithal though? I know speed/contrast paints are transparent but I want to start with basic paints first to get a grip with painting and not break my budget either. So thinning them sounds best
Depends hugely on the paint. Reds and yellows are notoriously transparent, for instance, while blues and greens are more opaque. You'll have to experiment.

Since you're both on a budget and want to play around with transparent coats, I'd recommend Army Painter paints. They tend towards the cheap transparent stuff that turned tons of people off Blood Angels and Imperial Fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Randalor posted:

So any of the portable spray booths from Amazon should be fine then? I want to get her something that can collapse down for storage when she's not using it, and I don't trust my (lack of) handyman skills to make a cheap one that'll last.

Yep. If you aren't much of a handyman, I used a furnace filter bungeed to a box fan for a couple months and that worked fine.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Marx Headroom posted:

I've been using the same generic Amazon spraybooth for like 6 years now :shrug:

But have you died yet?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Is it overkill to wear a respirator when using a spraybooth inside? Most youtubers dont seem to bother while spraying acrylics. Normally I would wear it regardless, but it kinda messes up my feeble sinuses after a decent while. Also this is in a small apartment so I dont have the luxury of spraypainting in a room I can leave for many hours.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Imo there is no such thing as overkill for PPE. Well ok yeah there is when you wear a full hazmat suit to buy groceries or something, but you get the idea.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Bored Online posted:

Is it overkill to wear a respirator when using a spraybooth inside? Most youtubers dont seem to bother while spraying acrylics. Normally I would wear it regardless, but it kinda messes up my feeble sinuses after a decent while. Also this is in a small apartment so I dont have the luxury of spraypainting in a room I can leave for many hours.

youtubers are usually the example of what not to do. There are no qualifications required to put a video up on youtube, you have no idea if a youtuber actually knows proper safety or they just do whatever and are slowly killing themselves. Remember when that idiot was spraying liquid resin through an airbrush with no PPE?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Remember when that idiot was spraying liquid resin through an airbrush with no PPE?

:stare::stonk:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OziH3Y2ySNo

they didn't even take the video down!

Resin in your lungs from the airbrush is very bad! Also the uncured resin on their uncovered hands from the airbrush is bad news.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Chainclaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OziH3Y2ySNo

they didn't even take the video down!

Resin in your lungs from the airbrush is very bad! Also the uncured resin on their uncovered hands from the airbrush is bad news.

But he puts on gloves to clean the resin because of the alcohol solution. Missing the loving forest because a leaf on the ground.

I might have lungs full of resin but can’t let the cleaning solution touch my filthy resin covered hands.

Edit: He disabled comments on that video. Hilarious.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Bored Online posted:

While more safety is better, you can probably get away with an N95 for just spraying acrylics, as long as it fits your face well. Remember if you can smell anything coming off your paints, you're breathing it in.

Anything involving solvents, put the respirator back on and make sure you have active ventilation.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Bored Online posted:

Why take the chance? I wouldn't want that poo poo in my lungs.

In the era of plague & biosphere death there's really a need to mask basically at all times now unfortunately lol

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Thanks for the knife chat above. I had another go with the Stanley knife perpendicular to the mould lines and it seemed a bit easier, so happy days.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Question for anyone who's made custom display shelves for their minis that may also double as storage:

I'm thinking of making something to display on the walls, but it'll have to be custom and small, so I was thinking something like these dimensions as a "floating shelf":

60" x 13" and 7" deep

7" should fit 5 units deep with a little bit of wiggle room. Most of my minis don't seem to be over 2" tall, so I could make some really snug storage (thinking maybe like, use a router to cut out some slots in the outside part of the shelves for some mdf to slide in and glue it in that way, like cheap particle board cabinets do, not like the minis weigh a ton.

This should technically allow room for 1600~ models, if my calculations are correct. (ignoring the larger items for now)

Has anyone built their own shelves for this? I'm thinking there must be a way to add like, a clear plastic window and put it on a hinge somehow that you can just close off with magnets to prevent extra dust from getting in there.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 12, 2022

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Got myself the full set of Dirty Down's Moss, Rust and Verdigris and played around with them a bit. The current verdict is that rust and moss are easy to use out of the bottle while verdigris has a bit of a learning curve. I get the feeling that all three have a high skill ceiling, where you can slap them on and get okay results, or learn how to use them properly and get amazing results.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Trip report: Babe Blonde over Barbarian Flesh over Desert Yellow makes a wonderful warm yellow with a bit of patience.

It still takes ten to fifteen coats, all together. :suicide:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Started painting up some figures from a galaxy far, far away.

That's Luke's outfit from the "awards ceremony" at the end of Star Wars. Painted his jacket with pretty much the same recipe I used to paint the "command gold" tunic I did for Kirk in the batch of TOS figures I did. Just have the metallic parts left to do, and overall I'm pretty happy with how he came out except for the lightsaber, I might fiddle around with it a bit more.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I'm trying to make some dioramas with my miniatures. Here's a prototype setup:

My problem is that since all my minis are varnished, and even tho its matt varnish, its producing a ton of glare. You can really see it on the trees, but its on almost everything. Is this something a lightbox will help me with?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Have you considered putting tissue paper over your lights to soften the light?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You need a diffusor. Either bounce light from a neutral reflective thingy of some kind or just tape some thin white paper over your lights.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Spanish Manlove posted:

already done!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

drat, I figured that would be a trick you already knew. But a light box just diffuses light like that, they're not worth it imo.

How do they look in natural light?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Spanish Manlove posted:

drat, I figured that would be a trick you already knew. But a light box just diffuses light like that, they're not worth it imo.

How do they look in natural light?

Alot less glossy, but you can still notice a glare if you look really hard. I have to brush on my varnish because I don't have space for an airbrush and some folks on discord have suggested maybe that's the problem. Rattlecan varnish is a no go from what I hear, and temperatures outside will be freezing soon anyway.

Sooo, not really sure what to do

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Tissue paper isn't enough imo

Siivola posted:

You need a diffusor. Either bounce light from a neutral reflective thingy of some kind or just tape some thin white paper over your lights.

This, you need a real diffuser. I would check out what B&H has, or similar sites.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Alot less glossy, but you can still notice a glare if you look really hard. I have to brush on my varnish because I don't have space for an airbrush and some folks on discord have suggested maybe that's the problem. Rattlecan varnish is a no go from what I hear, and temperatures outside will be freezing soon anyway.

Maybe you can try editing in post to reduce glare spots? Also I'm no expert on achieving the scene and effect you are going for but I feel like someone suggested rustoleum dead flat spray here which I've used on some of my stuff and it seems good? Gotta watch application temps and humidity but maybe you could try some on a less important figure?

Maybe play around with moving your miniatures further from your light source or toning down your light source by diffusing it with more layers of tissue paper. Possibly can adjust camera settings. I'm just stream of conciousness throwing out things you've probably all done at this point.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nebalebadingdong posted:

What varnish do you use? I brush on liquitex matte varnish and only have issues if I put it on too thick

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Also why is rattlecan varnish a no go? For safety reasons?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Spanish Manlove posted:

What varnish do you use?

I've tried Testor's Dullcote, a Vallejo, Tamiya and Winsor & Newton (all brush on varieties)

W&N has been the most matt. It looks mostly okay under normal lighting, but they all look like rear end when I try to take pictures. Usually I take photographs of my minis before I varnish them, and maybe I'm just spoiled by scalecolor's ultra-matt paint

Beffer posted:

Also why is rattlecan varnish a no go? For safety reasons?

I've heard so many stories about it "frosting" if conditions aren't right. I live in Chicago and we're having wet weather right now and soon it will be freezing, so I just assume the conditions will never be favorable

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I'm trying to make some dioramas with my miniatures. Here's a prototype setup:

My problem is that since all my minis are varnished, and even tho its matt varnish, its producing a ton of glare. You can really see it on the trees, but its on almost everything. Is this something a lightbox will help me with?

I'd been wondering what you were up to and god drat your work never fails to impress. This is such an oldhammer vibe it's glorious.

Tbh I don't think the problem is that bad, or worth getting that far into. The picture is more than fine, the only part that reads too glossy is the horses' asses which shine too much to be cloth and read silky, but that is extreme nit picking. If the surface itself is glossy, there isn't really anything to do except make it matte. Glossy surfaces will always reflect more light, no matter how much light or how diffuse the light source, it's still light bouncing off a reflective surface. You can move the light source or move the camera but that just shifts where the reflection is.

Have you ever varnished with this varnish and got a more or less matte finish? I would expect uneven results if it was a problem with application or technique, but if it's literally always like this it might be the varnish itself. Not all mattes are equal, maybe this one is a bit more satin than you want, and would be regardless of brush/airbrush application.

To nitpick, I think the light is too hard from the right, which does make for the shadow from the tower but the left side of the knights is a bit in shadow, and the bush at the front right is casting an unusual shadow.

Fake edit: oh my god you even painted flowers on the table.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I've tried Testor's Dullcote, a Vallejo, Tamiya and Winsor & Newton (all brush on varieties)

W&N has been the most matt. It looks mostly okay under normal lighting, but they all look like rear end when I try to take pictures. Usually I take photographs of my minis before I varnish them, and maybe I'm just spoiled by scalecolor's ultra-matt paint

I've heard so many stories about it "frosting" if conditions aren't right. I live in Chicago and we're having wet weather right now and soon it will be freezing, so I just assume the conditions will never be favorable

Rattlecan varnishes only "frost" if there's too much moisture in the air (that also causes the "fuzz" when spraying paints or primers). The "frost" usually goes away if you put it under a warm light bulb or in a warm room; it's basically water trapped under the coat of varnish, that usually evaporates as the varnish on the mini cures. Heat helps speed that process up a bit.

You can spray rattlecan paints and varnishes with no problems if it's cold outside, as long as it's not actually raining or snowing when you do it.

(source: grew up and currently lives not too far from Chicago, and once spray varnished a whole Crimson Fists army during the winter of '08)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The recipe for soft light is kind of counterintuitive. You want a large source as close as possible to the subject. That creates the most wrap around and best diffusion.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Thanks for the helpful words, ya'll. I haven't painted much lately, but there is a new version of Warmaster rulebook being made by the community and they are asking for photos, so I'm trying my best to help out. The glare is really atrocious on the trees... I think I'm gonna try a new brand of varnish, either Scalecolor75's or Ak's ultra matte varnish and see if that helps

Unrelated rant: I have taken alot of decent pics of individual minis or units with my cell phone. But when it comes to dioramas, it just doesn't cut it. I got a pixel 6 after reading so many gushing reviews about the camera, and guess what? it sucks rear end. pictures are super blurry at the edges. I think my old pixel 4 took better photos. Its got a 50 megapixel camera, but it always downsizes to 12 mega pixels using something called pixel binning which makes for better selfies at midnight or whatever kids are doing these days but doesn't do me a lick of good for miniatures. You can't turn this feature off.

tl;dr i hate photography

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I've been following all the photography advice in the thread over the last 4-5 pages. Finally helped me photograph a decent outro for a painting video I was working on and struggling with since the model is like 11 inches tall. Clipped the end where the photos are:
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxqXbMlVCbv2ob7c6R1jGMqHaBGLaq-OTa

Thanks everyone!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Sail cloth is a cheap, large, affordable way to go, alternatively this giant diffuser from Neewar is large enough to cover a standard room window:

https://au.neewer.com/collections/s...=41082116407489

On Amazon for like $20

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone have any tips on applying Dullcote by brush? I brush on a different varnish first but I still somehow keep taking off some small bits of paint in places.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Don't

Get an airbrush

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Silhouette posted:

Get an airbrush

not an empty quote

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I still cannot get over that guy airbrushing resin.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I still cannot get over that guy airbrushing resin.

I reported that video for "unsafe or dangerous practices"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is resin flammable or just a skin/lung/human irritant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is resin flammable or just a skin/lung/human irritant?

yes