Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Fun and exciting first game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/Iwantadonair/status/1580030429951774722

Jesus Christ this is the sickest thing I've ever seen in my life

The worst thing about stadium food gouging is that the food is also the absolute shittiest quality possible. It is somehow worse than the stalest fast food garbage. Like if you ordered breakfast at McDonald's, left the bag in your car, and then ate it in the evening, it would still be better than an Aramark burger.

Please put just 50 cents of that $30 burger towards ingredients.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And for some dumb reason people are defending those prices in the replies. Must be nice to be living with gently caress you money.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

fartknocker posted:

They also don’t work when they use other camera angles

That's a clear improvement over the digital ads at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey where they did work on other camera angles too. They looked their absolute worst in closeups, and I'm sure the NHL agrees. So if you're going to use virtual board ads, then not using them in closeups is 100% the correct decision.

Another improvement over the WCH16's implementation is that snow sprays don't seem to break the fake boards anymore.

Anyways yes, they are very distracting especially when the ads change. I also noticed they're bolder about changing the digital on-ice ad that's near the blue line when it's in full view. They used to avoid doing that.

It's all poo poo.

Zat fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 12, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1579955337125597184

you won't be Canada's sport for long, hockey. american excellence is coming to Dominate yet another field. watch out, nerds

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Who's the Brit? We're real bad at hockey

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nathan Walker of the Blues was born in Cardiff, Wales and grew up in Australia

e: the rest of the one-offs:
Bulgaria - Alexander Georgiev
France - Pierre Edouard Bellemare
Netherlands - Daniel Sprong
Norway: Mats Zuccarello
Slovenia - Anze Kopitar
Uzbekistan - Arthur Kaliyev

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

tarbrush posted:

The horse guy.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Nathan Walker who's an Aussie. However, Liam Kirk who is an actual born and trained Yorkshireman might get a few games with the Coyotes later in the year if he has a good season in the AHL. He had a great start with Tucson last year but blew out his knee a couple weeks into the season. Hopefully he's healthy and picks up where he left off.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/Iwantadonair/status/1580030429951774722

Jesus Christ this is the sickest thing I've ever seen in my life

Is stadium food not this price literally everywhere at this point outside of Atlanta? A draft beer alone in Toronto is 13-15 now. Not to defend the Oilers cause gently caress Katz but how is this a surprise to anyone?

At least at Jays games you can bring your own food (case the food at the skydome fuckin sucks)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 12, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Is stadium food not this price literally everywhere at this point outside of Atlanta? A draft beer alone in Toronto is 13-15 now. Not to defend the Oilers cause gently caress Katz but how is this a surprise to anyone?

At least at Jays games you can bring your own food (case the food at the skydome fuckin sucks)

The hotdog combo is pretty stadium standard. That's a $12 beer and $8 hotdog.

The popcorn is loving absurd.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popcorn is like 9 bucks each now and fountain pops are 7 I think usually?

Its robbery but its like that everywhere. A popcorn and drink at a movie theatre is close to 20 bucks.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

I went to a Twins game this year and it was blowing my mind that people could bring their own food. The guy sitting in front of me bought a bag of shrimp and a tub of helluva good to dip em in

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Paid about 130 for 4 beers in a box at a leafs game after all the gratuities and add ons. It was a work thing so it was expensed but still felt real cool dropping a bill and a half on like 6 bucks worth of beer.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Also, Carey Price just stay retired:

https://theathletic.com/3681892/2022/10/12/carey-price-return-career-injury-canadiens/

quote:

No, Price has not decided to retire, but the circumstances needed for him to avoid having to make that difficult decision seem quite elusive.

What’s on the table for Price is something called OAT surgery, or an Osteochondral Autograft Transfer.

“I have a large hole in the cartilage of my knee, basically where my knee impinges,” Price explained, having become somewhat of a medical expert over the last year. “They would basically take a plug of bone and cartilage out of a lower-wear area in my knee, and then place that plug into the damaged area in my knee. So it’s pretty intrusive.”

Not only that, but the success rate is not all that high. A 2016 study by five orthopedic surgeons from the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and another from the University of Utah estimated the long-term success rate to be 72 percent, a success rate that is lowered if there was previous surgery on the knee, as is the case for Price, and the bar for success being able to live a pain-free, normal life, not necessarily being able to tend goal in the NHL.

quote:

“It’s right in your knee joint,” he said. “So, like, you kind of need that in your day-to-day living. I mean, Tommy John, yeah, you use your arm every day. But you’re not walking on your arms. So I feel like that’s a surgery I wouldn’t do unless I was in a certain amount of pain and really not living well, which is not the case. For the most part in day-to-day living, I’m good. Like, walking around, I feel pretty good. I have a hip issue and an ankle issue all down the same chain, so I kind of figured that would be a problem towards the end of my career. I have a back issue, too. So it’s not just my knee. It’s other parts of my body that are screaming at me too.”

Price said he asked the doctor who proposed the surgery if he would be doing so if Price didn’t want to play hockey again, and the response was basically no. He’s performed this surgery on hockey players before, Price said, but not so much on goaltenders who, as we’ve seen before in Price’s case, put a lot more torque on their knees than other players do.

“The success rate of the surgery, if I were a gambling man, which I’m not really, you’re gambling your next 20 years on a surgery that isn’t 100 percent success rate. It’s much lower than that,” Price said. “I think he said 75 (percent), but it’s probably lower than that. That would be optimistic, and that’s just for a surgery for people that are just going about their day, for the surgery to be successful. I look at that more on the pessimistic side, like, what if it doesn’t work and I had this surgery and now I can’t walk up and down a hill or kneel down to play with my kids?”

The article states he hasn't decided to get the surgery but he's considering it because its pretty much the only way for him to play again.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1580192614367698945?t=v-Z8NFbxSqpaHgjDCOzf6g&s=19

At least Tarasov looked good in the games he played last year. :shepicide:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Makes sense. Ruff seemed to think he needs some seasoning

speaking of:

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/bah...iRfxDrzFdE0f3tw

would love to see Bahl instead of Smith, hopefully that happens sooner than later

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1579955337125597184

you won't be Canada's sport for long, hockey. american excellence is coming to Dominate yet another field. watch out, nerds

it's still crazy how much better Canada's top end talent looks like on paper. I mean a hypothetical Olympic US team is real good, clear 2nd in talent, but it's going to take like 10-15 sustained years of those numbers to start approaching the elite depth that Canada has.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

No way is there a goalie named Rocket Pants

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Paid about 130 for 4 beers in a box at a leafs game after all the gratuities and add ons. It was a work thing so it was expensed but still felt real cool dropping a bill and a half on like 6 bucks worth of beer.

Between COVID and prices I am struggling to think of when I'll next attend an NHL game in person. Maybe in like 5 years when my kid is old enough?

At least the animated board ads also make watching on TV less pleasant too, so there's some parity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Popcorn is like 9 bucks each now and fountain pops are 7 I think usually?

Its robbery but its like that everywhere. A popcorn and drink at a movie theatre is close to 20 bucks.

Yeah that's bad too.

The cost for an individual popcorn and a fountain drink is so cheap it's a rounding error.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I haven't gone to a game in a while because of covid. I think the last one I went to was a regular season Pens/Isles game when I was living in New York. This woulda been like 2017-18. I remember even then that a soda was like $13.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I not only never touch stadium concessions but also dehydrate myself for a couple hours before game time, so as not to have to choose between missing game action going to piss or waiting in line and elbowing through huge crowds to do it during intermission.

That probably tells you pretty much all you need to know about my personality

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I not only never touch stadium concessions but also dehydrate myself for a couple hours before game time, so as not to have to choose between missing game action going to piss or waiting in line and elbowing through huge crowds to do it during intermission.

Probably the strongest argument for the expensive all-inclusive ticket packages they sell in D.C. is a separate pisser for people with money.

For me it was that or miss the last minute of the period to beat the rush to the urinal.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1580203021912313858

I literally know nothing about this player so uhh ok?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i love him

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Eric the Mauve posted:

And diapers during playoffs? Wait why am I asking this

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Boy that sure is an incredibly questionable contract.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I usually just enjoy slightly overpriced $6-8 beers at bars near whatever arena I'm going to instead of paying $14 at the arena. That way I drink as much as I want to instead of having an internal debate about whether it's worth it to get another $14 can of Bud Light.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I have serious questions about the decision making ability of anyone that signs a 7 year contract with Buffalo. Unless he sucks so much that $4.3M/year is a big overpay for him, in which case, lol.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I usually just enjoy slightly overpriced $6-8 beers at bars near whatever arena I'm going to instead of paying $14 at the arena. That way I drink as much as I want to instead of having an internal debate about whether it's worth it to get another $14 can of Bud Light.

Yeah when I go to Pittsburgh (not often since I live like nine hours away) I usually drink at this nice bar/restaurant before the game. There's a place with really good cocktails that is in walking distance of the arena. Or was...I haven't been in a few years now.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have serious questions about the decision making ability of anyone that signs a 7 year contract with Buffalo. Unless he sucks so much that $4.3M/year is a big overpay for him, in which case, lol.

He’s only played 50 or so games and hasn’t scored a goal yet so I imagine it would be hard to pass up that offer lol

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
You'll be shocked to know on a cursory glance at the usual trash I regurgitate that I am very confused by this contract and have a disagreement with JFresh's player card ranking him so high.

Mattias gets heavy defensive zone deployment. During those deployments he gives up an ok amount of shots with a 48/52 split. His actual outcomes suck. 41.5% actual goals for and worse he ranks 2nd on the team with 3.78 goals against per 60. The expected split is an improvement in that instead of suck out loud it is just bad with a 46% xG. A big part of this is because Buffalo's goaltending is quite bad. Other things to note - Owen power topped the xG chart with 55% in his 8 games. No one else topped 47%. Of the pairings Mattias played with he significantly hurt Dahlin and Fitzgerald. With Pysyk or Bryson numbers were improved. In terms of xG the only player that had improved expected numbers was him and Dahlin. Every other pairing was worse when he was added to it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Go Avs

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
If owners didn’t charge us $20 for a bag of popcorn, how else are they supposed to sign Mattias Samuelsson to a 7x$4.3M extension?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Bruins have six Czech players on the opening night roster (Pastrnak, Krejci, Zacha, Nosek, Zboril, Lauko) out of 40 Czechs in the entire NHL. Kind of a neat tidbit. I wonder if any other teams have contingents of non-Canadian/non-American players that large. Someone out there must have a bunch of Finns or Swedes, but I don't know off the top of my head.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mike Works posted:

If owners didn’t charge us $20 for a bag of popcorn, how else are they supposed to sign Mattias Samuelsson to a 7x$4.3M extension?

They could try cramming more ads into the ice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Bruins have six Czech players on the opening night roster (Pastrnak, Krejci, Zacha, Nosek, Zboril, Lauko) out of 40 Czechs in the entire NHL. Kind of a neat tidbit. I wonder if any other teams have contingents of non-Canadian/non-American players that large. Someone out there must have a bunch of Finns or Swedes, but I don't know off the top of my head.

That makes them the most anti Russian team by volume.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Montreal had a bunch of Finns before the team imploded

Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Armia, Leskinen, and Ylonen

stab fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 12, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/1580234961009119234

Oh uhh seems bad!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Oilers didn’t take that jersey ad money, gotta make up for it somehow.