Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I could not get through that goddamned book.

that's a shame the last sentence is one of the greatest punchlines ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

shame on an IGA posted:

that's a shame the last sentence is one of the greatest punchlines ever

That and trying to get the Russians to allow the bundeswehr into their country to help defend it. There was so much wrong with this book.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I haven't seen much posting about the attack on the Crimean bridge since it happened. I saw some tweets here and there claiming that Russia had already sent rail traffic across, and that one of the two vehicle spans had a temporary repair across it already, plus that one video of the damage to the rail section, but I haven't really heard anything else.

Do we know if Russia really has sent limited traffic across already? Does anyone have any information on who did it or how exactly it was done? Has the SDO mentioned it in his Ukraine briefings?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
FSB says they have 8 in custody, it was a 22 ton truck bomb, and it was done by Ukrainian intelligence.

Take with appropriately sized grain of salt

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Russia releases an xray of what it claims was the truck that exploded, except its obviously a different truck
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1580088362991759360?t=htqUiSzD7q5GaWYJtdfnTA&s=19

No word yet on how many copies of Sims 3 the terrorists were carrying.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Obviously fake, the x-Ray doesn’t show any Nazi flags or portraits of Hitler

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I was wondering when Hugo was going to make a twitter thread about this. Tl:dr summary: driver likely did not know he was transporting a bomb and thought he was making a legitimate cargo run from the Russian mainland to Crimea. Bomb components were likely smuggled from Ukraine into the Krasnodar area of Russia where a local logistics company was contracted to transport it to Crimea, likely not knowing/caring what the cargo was beyond what the shipping manifest said.

He also throws some cold water (heh) on the suicide explosive boat theory which I thought didn't sound all that plausible to begin with.

https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1580202165838413824

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 12, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vengarr posted:

Obviously fake, the x-Ray doesn’t show any Nazi flags or portraits of Hitler

The trucks have different numbers of loving wheels ffs

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I was wondering when Hugo was going to make a twitter thread about this. Tl:dr summary: driver likely did not know he was transporting a bomb and thought he was making a legitimate cargo run from the Russian mainland to Crimea. Bomb components were likely smuggled into the Krasnodar area of Russia where a local logistics company was contracted to transport it to Crimea, likely not knowing/caring what the cargo was beyond what the shipping manifest said.

He also throws some cold water (heh) on the suicide explosive boat theory which I thought didn't sound all that plausible to begin with.

There's another thread by a Finnish demolitions expert going around that comes to a similar conclusion. Pretty sure it was quoted here (but might have come from the nafo discord). Still good info.

Edit: Hitting that train always seemed extremely lucky to me. The idea it was targeted for remote detonation makes a bunch of sense.

https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1580202355303145476?s=20&t=SoV4VOfJbjUsHu5M5XM04w

highme fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 12, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I was wondering when Hugo was going to make a twitter thread about this. Tl:dr summary: driver likely did not know he was transporting a bomb and thought he was making a legitimate cargo run from the Russian mainland to Crimea. Bomb components were likely smuggled from Ukraine into the Krasnodar area of Russia where a local logistics company was contracted to transport it to Crimea, likely not knowing/caring what the cargo was beyond what the shipping manifest said.

Looking at the clip he used....yep it was a wake only. Apologies to anyone I said was wrong and that it was a boat. I don't know if the image has been enhanced, but on first glance at the early videos (lol great internal security there FSB) my brain kept telling me there is a wake and then a part of "knight boat-the boat the fights fascists" appeared and BOOM. Granted analysis at 3:00 AM in the morning by a tired shitposter is probably sub-optimal to being with. :v:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Meh, looked like a boat during the first flurry of "they got the kerch" mayhem to me too.

also this is rad
https://twitter.com/Arslon_Xudosi/status/1579793219071905792?s=20&t=gzRl8An8XfqiXNinY30mZw

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

highme posted:

Meh, looked like a boat during the first flurry of "they got the kerch" mayhem to me too.

also this is rad
https://twitter.com/Arslon_Xudosi/status/1579793219071905792?s=20&t=gzRl8An8XfqiXNinY30mZw

Also there was just something so bad rear end about that wake and what looks like a boat speeding into frame and then BOOM!

In Russia is a bunch of dumb, yet dangerous, drunks news.

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1580224599324696577?s=20&t=fBIGCM-kaGRN2FyrCwN3Vw

https://twitter.com/euan_macdonald/status/1580219377026113537?s=46&t=q55hM9t1VyqVy7yRqmvrDA

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Spoggerific posted:

I haven't seen much posting about the attack on the Crimean bridge since it happened. I saw some tweets here and there claiming that Russia had already sent rail traffic across, and that one of the two vehicle spans had a temporary repair across it already, plus that one video of the damage to the rail section, but I haven't really heard anything else.

Do we know if Russia really has sent limited traffic across already? Does anyone have any information on who did it or how exactly it was done? Has the SDO mentioned it in his Ukraine briefings?

Assuming that there was no structural damage done to the bridge the damaged rail sections can be replaced, often within 24 hours. The repair consists of cutting out the bad section of track, hauling that away and then inserting pre-fabricated sections of track and then connecting them to the existing track. If the existing track is welded rail it will result in a speed restriction, but I suspect that bridge already operates under a speed restriction for freight traffic anyway. It's harder to do on a bridge because of lack of access, but can be accomplished with the right equipment, e.g. a medium sized rail crane or a hi-rail crane (or a road crane secured appropriately to a flat car).

Two Russian railway cranes

Example of panel track

Of course it's Russia so who knows if they actually operate this way? Soviet doctrine definitely covered repairing railways and converting conquered railways to Soviet 5' gauge, but that institutional knowledge may have gone away much like their grasp of logistics and time and distance has. :shrug:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
As much as blowing up the Kerch was a great thing to have happen, I really hate the idea of the truck driver not being a volunteer.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Yeah, that's pretty hosed up, no matter how you look at it. Sure, Russia is doing things infinitely worse, but that doesn't mean people are just going to look past turning a civilian into an unwitting suicide bomber. It's also an excellent talking point for Russian propaganda.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Someone else in that thread posted a video of an object descending on the bridge before the explosion, but I'm not sure I'm buying that it's a missile. It's way too fiery for a high explosive warhead.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Spoggerific posted:

Yeah, that's pretty hosed up, no matter how you look at it. Sure, Russia is doing things infinitely worse, but that doesn't mean people are just going to look past turning a civilian into an unwitting suicide bomber. It's also an excellent talking point for Russian propaganda.

Has it even been confirmed this was ukraine and not lovely lowest bid transportation of extremely combustible elements?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Has it even been confirmed this was ukraine and not lovely lowest bid transportation of extremely combustible elements?

Several news publications have confirmed that it was Ukraine, via unnamed Ukrainian and Western intelligence officials.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

That's, like, kicking a black cat while walking under a ladder levels of bad luck for a shipment of unstable goods to go up as it passes a train load of fuel on a critical piece of infrastructure.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arrath posted:

That's, like, kicking a black cat while walking under a ladder levels of bad luck for a shipment of unstable goods to go up as it passes a train load of fuel on a critical piece of infrastructure.

Normal day for the Russian invaders then.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

psydude posted:

Several news publications have confirmed that it was Ukraine, via unnamed Ukrainian and Western intelligence officials.

attribution of all these was to a single 'unnamed Ukrainian official' fwiw. idk if more people have come out and claimed it in the last couple of days, but it was notably just a single person claiming that for the first few days

Arrath posted:

describing the known facts of the attack sounds like the setup to a joke

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arrath posted:

Have you been paying attention to the Russian invasion at all?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Normal day for the Russian invaders then.

RFC2324 posted:

Have you been paying attention to the Russian invasion at all?

Fair.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Uh, the aristocrats? I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning to figure out a punchline.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

attribution of all these was to a single 'unnamed Ukrainian official' fwiw. idk if more people have come out and claimed it in the last couple of days, but it was notably just a single person claiming that for the first few days

Also, of course Ukraine is going to claim credit whether they had anything to do with it or not.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Ukraine did it, but we're not going to know for sure for a long time.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 12, 2022

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The hilarious answer would be that it had nothing to do with Ukraine but instead an internal faction trying to embarrass Putin.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

As much as blowing up the Kerch was a great thing to have happen, I really hate the idea of the truck driver not being a volunteer.

I can absolutely get that, but look at it this way, if it was something else, that dudes day was still hosed either way. Plus you can least take solace in the fact that the driver wasn't threatened with his family at gunpoint or chained to the car with switches to ensure detonation when someone opened a door (IRA) or like in Iraq using a mentally disabled proxy bomber.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 12, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah I mostly assume it was Ukraine, but also if you had to make a list of all the countries that had reason to want to symbolically gently caress up a major piece of Russian infrastructure, that list just got 10x longer two weeks previously. Non-zero chance that there are factions in Russia that would have an interest in torpedoing Putin's reputation and/or ability to fight a suicidal war of attrition in the south.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Deteriorata posted:

Also, of course Ukraine is going to claim credit whether they had anything to do with it or not.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Ukraine did it, but we're not going to know for sure for a long time.

Ukraine is denying any involvement, they're not claiming credit at all.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Zaluzhny's main comment on it was cryptically 'we knew the missile attacks were pre-planned' (about the retaliatory strikes) which even leaves open the door for Russia doing their standard thing of launching some false flags right before they try to escalate.

--
On another note, one of the really common things you hear Russian forces saying about this war is that Ukrainian counter battery fire is extremely quick and extremely accurate and man you can see that in the latter part of this.

from another thread posted:

:nms: Footage of a Russian convoy getting hit by rockets taken by a loitering drone (probably what was guiding the strikes). :nms:

:nms:Somehow the Russians are still bunching vehicles up in the middle of roads.:nms:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dance Officer posted:

Ukraine is denying any involvement, they're not claiming credit at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/10/09/putin-crimea-bridge-attack-ukraine/

quote:

While the Ukrainian government did not publicly claim responsibility for the incident, officials in Kyiv sought to employ the blast as evidence of its capacity to achieve a battlefield victory against Russia’s larger, better-armed military, a prospect dismissed by many Western officials only a few months ago.

A Ukrainian official told The Washington Post on Saturday that Ukraine’s special services were behind the explosion, which Russian authorities said took place when a truck exploded, igniting fuel tanks on a passing train.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah once again that's attributed to the same single anonymous ukrainian official and while they took advantage of the situation promptly, you could also explain that by them having prior knowledge that it was going to happen and they said gently caress it let's make lemonade.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This could also be the source leading the reporter (similar to "police sources" in an officer involved shooting), although I do think in this case it's correct.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

This could also be the source leading the reporter (similar to "police sources" in an officer involved shooting), although I do think in this case it's correct.

Yeah, like I said earlier, we won't know what really happened for quite a while.

Maybe Ukraine did it, maybe they're just using it to get in Putin's head.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zaluzhny's main comment on it was cryptically 'we knew the missile attacks were pre-planned' (about the retaliatory strikes) which even leaves open the door for Russia doing their standard thing of launching some false flags right before they try to escalate.

Russia's false flags are so lovely and transparent, I really doubt they would have gone through the effort of destroying their crown jewel of infrastructure projects just for an excuse to launch a few more missiles at Ukraine.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

Russia's false flags are so lovely and transparent, I really doubt they would have gone through the effort of destroying their crown jewel of infrastructure projects just for an excuse to launch a few more missiles at Ukraine.

OTOH I can just picture a vague order like "hit something big, make it look good" hitting the wrong ears and a couple of morons going "well, nothing bigger than this"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

psydude posted:

lovely and transparent you say?

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1580088362991759360?s=20&t=-43obR-_dTNIeZ1Y3zQedg

That said, yeah I agree that it's not particularly likely and it would be a pretty weird target to false flag.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Jesus Christ man, learn the lesson I learned like eight years ago and quit reading/posting in D&D. You'll be much happier.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

On another note, one of the really common things you hear Russian forces saying about this war is that Ukrainian counter battery fire is extremely quick and extremely accurate and man you can see that in the latter part of this.

Russian IDF reaction drills

• stay on the x
  • make lots of movement
  • group closer

Man just loving dog poo poo tactics.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The number of Ukranians who have completed basic military training in the UK has now passed 10000 - training provided by instructors from the UK, NZ, Holland, Sweden and probably some others. More the merrier !

When they return to Ukraine they take all the supplied uniforms, body armour and other kit back with them. Everything but the AKs it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

lovely and transparent you say?

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1580088362991759360?s=20&t=-43obR-_dTNIeZ1Y3zQedg

That said, yeah I agree that it's not particularly likely and it would be a pretty weird target to false flag.

My understanding is that this is a mistranslation/misunderstanding of the report released by Russian sources. In the Russian text, it differentiates between the two trucks - the narrative is that the x-rayed truck brought the goods in to some place, then they were loaded onto the red-cab/white-trailer truck and that's the vehicle that exploded on the bridge. The red truck wasn't x-rayed, it was visually inspected.