Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

There's also that fancy fish toy that's for kicking.

Cats kick all kinds of things, they must enjoy it I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They are trying to disembowel it/your hand.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
Gotta use all the pointy ends.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

gloom posted:

Yeah, it’s just play behavior. When Kali does it I always feel like she’s getting a little overheated. If you have multiple cats, when they wrestle you might see one put the other in a headlock and deliver those rabbit kicks too. It might go away with age, our older cat Merlin doesn’t do it to people, only to Kali when the cat battle gets intense. He lies on his back and tries to bait her into biting him so he can grab and kick her, it’s hilarious.

Katya loves to do this! She and Kimchi will have a little stand-off and she'll drop to the floor without ever breaking eye-contact and go for the headlock/rabbit-kick combo.
It looks very violent but they are a lot less careful with each other anyway, occasionally one of them will go too far and earn a hiss. Very rarely we feel like we should break them up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've watched our cats wrestle often enough to know when it's about to turn into crying/hissing so when I see them do it I've learned to shake the treat container before it gets to that point. That immediately breaks up the wrestling match and they both trot over for their rewards.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I've watched our cats wrestle often enough to know when it's about to turn into crying/hissing so when I see them do it I've learned to shake the treat container before it gets to that point. That immediately breaks up the wrestling match and they both trot over for their rewards.

It's probably silly, but I always worry about using treats for that kind of stuff because our cats might make the association of too rough play = treats

Like when I was trying to get our first cat to use a scratching post I'd give her treats every time she even touched it for a little scratch. She eventually figured that out and would wait for me to be looking, then touch the scratching post with both paws and come over to wait for her treat lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was a thought I had but no bad results here. Cats are gonna cat.

Another commonly suggested option is to make a sharp noise.. slam a cabinet door or something. That startles them out of fight mode and into oh gently caress maybe I should investigate/hide mode.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

xzzy posted:

It was a thought I had but no bad results here. Cats are gonna cat.

Another commonly suggested option is to make a sharp noise.. slam a cabinet door or something. That startles them out of fight mode and into oh gently caress maybe I should investigate/hide mode.

"Ay! Knock it ooooooooffff." gets a lot of mileage around here.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have to get in between my cats sometimes. Andy harasses Penny. He's definitely playing, but also definitely seems to understand she doesn't want to play and is loving with her. So when that starts I yell "ANDREW!" and stand in between them until he loses interest.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

There's a toy out there called a "kick stick" that you can get as an outlet for that behavior if you want. It gets ignored a lot of the time but if you leave it out in the middle of the floor eventually when cat walks by it why will flop over and kick the poo poo out of it for a minute. I guess they gotta refresh their training every so often to make sure they got the technique down if a cucumber attacks.

My late, great cat Raphael was a spicy little meatball and no toy made him happier than this kicker toy, which is super sturdy -- he kicked the poo poo out of that thing multiple times a day for three years, and it still looks like new. (He passed away last year and that toy is now sitting next to the box of his ashes.)

Here he is playing with it for the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9LNkPqGOKc

gently caress, now I'm crying at work. Love you, little dude.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Modkat litterbox arrived today, it's fantastic. Feels sturdy and I like the way the lid folds back. It's expensive and the liners are expensive but I didn't clean their old litter box nearly as much as I should have so I'm hoping this'll end up being more sanitary in the long run for my kitties. Also defeat the wall pisser once and for all :argh:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

explosivo posted:

Modkat litterbox arrived today, it's fantastic. Feels sturdy and I like the way the lid folds back. It's expensive and the liners are expensive but I didn't clean their old litter box nearly as much as I should have so I'm hoping this'll end up being more sanitary in the long run for my kitties. Also defeat the wall pisser once and for all :argh:

Cool! Yeah, the price went up a lot since I bought it a year ago, and it was expensive then. :( If it’s any consolation I didn’t realize they recommended replacing the liner every 3-months and was just washing it out and spraying it down each full litter-box cleaning until the bottom started to wear thru. I only have one cat so ymmv.

I got it after seeing it at a friends house and noticing there floor was not covered in cat litter. The top entry really cuts down on tracking.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Rabbit Hill posted:

My late, great cat Raphael was a spicy little meatball and no toy made him happier than this kicker toy, which is super sturdy -- he kicked the poo poo out of that thing multiple times a day for three years, and it still looks like new. (He passed away last year and that toy is now sitting next to the box of his ashes.)

Here he is playing with it for the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9LNkPqGOKc

gently caress, now I'm crying at work. Love you, little dude.

We have that exact kick stick! The only ones who really use it are Iskierka and sometimes Tyrion, but it's been going strong for a few years now, very durable.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
My boys bunny kick the poo poo out of each other when playing around, it doesn't seem to hurt them. One time they formed this really nice yin-yang of kicking cats.

Pepsi does occasionally grab my feet and kick them, but only when I'm wearing black socks.

Here they are after one of their kicking sessions.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wait your cats don't just bunny kick the poo poo out of you all day long? Quill bunny kicks anything she doesn't know and most things she does know.

https://i.imgur.com/hkRu0Dw.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Z7hxKlK.mp4

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

VelociBacon posted:

Have you asked your vet about this? Sorry to come in with a human medical perspective and I waffled about even posting anything at all but in mammals with a heart and lungs plumbed up the way ours are, increased activity/heartrate produces higher blood pressure in the lungs and if something is funny you can get respiratory issues as a result. This can be from any number of things or it could be completely nothing but it felt wrong to just not say anything. If you're seeing other cold-like symptoms I'd be less concerned!

Sorry, I should've mentioned in the post that the Calicivirus diagnosis did come from our vet after they took a swab. The cat is otherwise active and has a healthy appetite, he just has to stop and have a really phlegmy sounding sneezing fit a few times a day. There have also been really bad air quality issues over the last six weeks due to forest fires and I can't imagine it's doing him any favors either.

Autodrop Monteur posted:

My boys bunny kick the poo poo out of each other when playing around, it doesn't seem to hurt them. One time they formed this really nice yin-yang of kicking cats.

Bunny kick yin-yang example:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 6, 2022

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Hello thread. I adopted a five year old British shorthair yesterday. She's pretty cool. A bit skittish, but she lets me pet and scratch her and she explores her surroundings in her own time. We've had a couple of play sessions together which warms my cold, dead heart to no end. And she eats, drinks and use her litter box without any problems.

Her name is Lucyfur and if the Awful app is playing nice then this is her face

Edit: Awful app is not playing nice. Here's a link instead https://imgur.com/a/jzesybU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Very cute! Cats are great.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Aww owl baby

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
My rescue cat has had a problem of peeing on my bed and I couldn't figure out a logical explanation or correlation for it until just recently.

I had done research previously on this before, and the most common explanations were either avoiding the litterbox or marking territory or nervousness. The first one didn't make sense since she uses her litterbox often for both peeing and pooping and has had no problems using it; the second also didn't make sense since she is already spayed and is female, which would be really unusual in that case; the third seemed the most likely answer since at that time we had only been together for a few weeks and I thought she was feeling nervous when I would leave for work.

But now it has been about two months and she is still peeing on the bed. I just spent a week together with her at home due to being on holiday, so I have been able to observe her more closely. As it turns out, she seems to wet herself when she goes into a deep sleep, especially when she starts kicking hard.

Is it possible she may be having seizures or neurological symptoms which causes her to pee in her sleep? Or is it less serious than that? She doesn't seem to be in pain when that happens, but I really don't know how to help her. :ohdear:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You should probably see a vet sooner rather than later because that’s definitely not a normal thing.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

People who’ve gone from 1 cat to 2 cats; how was that transition and how would you compare the experience?

I currently own a playful 2 y/o and am a click away from applying to adopt a playful young 1 y/o. Ideally we’ll all be friends but worst case I don’t want to make my resident cat totally miserable. I’ve been flirting with getting a second since getting #1 (originally planned on getting a bonded pair), but have only ever lived with 1 cat at a time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've added a younger cat to an older cat twice. In the first case, they were a year apart and got along okay, although weren't terribly fond of each other. In the second case, one was 7 when we got the other, and they hated each other forever. They just lived separate lives in the same house and were good with that. As long as the two cats aren't trying to kill each other, that's good enough for me.

The current pair are unrelated, but came from the shelter together, and they are hatefriends.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Crocobile posted:

People who’ve gone from 1 cat to 2 cats; how was that transition and how would you compare the experience?

I currently own a playful 2 y/o and am a click away from applying to adopt a playful young 1 y/o. Ideally we’ll all be friends but worst case I don’t want to make my resident cat totally miserable. I’ve been flirting with getting a second since getting #1 (originally planned on getting a bonded pair), but have only ever lived with 1 cat at a time.

We adopted a kitten as our second cat since our first could be quite territorial, you can def find posts about the whole thing in my thread history. Best thing for successful cohabitation is to follow a good guide for the introduction process, Jackson Galaxy can be a bit extra but his is solid.

Long-term, make sure you have enough room and different perches/hide-outs where one cat can retreat to if they're not comfortable around each other, have enough litter-boxes (1 per cat + 1 is the rule, we have 2 that we clean twice a day). It might take a long time for them to be chill around each other and it might not ever happen, make sure you manage your expectations.
The introduction requires some time and effort but after that caring for two cats isn't any harder than caring for one provided they will tolerate each other. We were in the same position as you and my partner convinced me that there was no better time than after we had just moved to a bigger place and were working from home during lockdown.

Absolutely no regrets for the record, I love seeing them play and it makes me feel better knowing they have each other when we're out.

Here's an old post that I found that describes their relationship well, they do groom each other on rare occasions but mostly they want to cuddle with us and play-fight with each other.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Can confirm, our cats are around the same age (1+ and 3+) and this pretty much describes their playtime. When Kimchi was an annoying kitten invader Katya used to slap the poo poo out of her if she didn't want to be bothered, now they wrassle with the occasional slapping and hissing. They also love to chase each other around the house, sometimes with hilarious roadrunner antics like one jumping over the other and reversing the chase without missing a beat.

Honestly I think Katya would have been fine as a single cat but we love to see them play together and fight for the best seat in the house (my partner's lap), they're such siblings now. :3:

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

It's safe to say our two kittens have bonded nicely to each other!

We had a rough couple weeks because the little tabby (who we've named Pinto Bean) got sick and had a few days of horrific diarrhea and not eating and lost weight and it was scary, but the vet ruled out parasites and illness and put him on a gastro diet with probiotics for a couple weeks and he rebounded, and finally got well enough to be let out on house roam a few days ago. They are inseparable! They spend most their time so far in our sunroom and in the cat trees in the living room, but they're slowly starting to venture to the rest of the house.

We also splurged and bought a robo cat litter box and all three of our cats (the two kittens and our older senior cat) took to it instantly and it entertains my soul to get app notifications every time my cats go poop.

Crocobile posted:

Our older senior cat has slowly accepted our kittens. She lets them lay down with her when they're being quiet, but she scolds them when they get rambunctious. She's 16, though, so much older than your kitty. It took a few weeks before she'd let them near without hissing at them. Having them around has made her more playful, though, and she plays with toys now when she hasn't in years. For the first few days she spent a lot of time upstairs where they wouldn't go, but now she's settled.

She had a buddy from the time she was a kitten, though, and he passed a few months ago. She spent a while searching for him and calling for him, but when we got the kittens she calmed down and settled from her constant searching. I think they helped.

She was the second cat I added a long time ago when the cat who passed was around 1-2, and it went fine. A week or so of hissing and then they got along fine.

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 10, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My older gentleman was 14 when we got him a 2-3? year old brother and they get along fine. Actually the older one pretends to be indifferent but often begs to play even though he gets his rear end kicked every time and complains about getting his belly fur nipped.

Having said that, they were both reported as getting along well with other cats at the shelter, so that definitely helps.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm gonna see if changing the steps to the "ramp" for the Litter Robot makes my elderly lady more interested in using it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I'm gonna see if changing the steps to the "ramp" for the Litter Robot makes my elderly lady more interested in using it.

One of mine refused to use the robot after seeing it do a cycle when I got it. I am currently hiding it for a few months at which point i'll reintroduce it with the power off to see if she'll try again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Not a Litter Robot, but my 16 year old cat started peeing in my bed. One day I caught her just sorta staring at the litter box (then a Clever Cat Top Entry with the lid removed). I changed it out for a low sided box that she could just step in, and the problem was solved.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Not a Litter Robot, but my 16 year old cat started peeing in my bed. One day I caught her just sorta staring at the litter box (then a Clever Cat Top Entry with the lid removed). I changed it out for a low sided box that she could just step in, and the problem was solved.

Yeah, when I got rid of all non-robot litter options my girl hopped up on my computer chair, looked me dead in the eyes, gave a whimpery meow, and pissed all over the chair. Message received.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My younger cat loves to watch and hear the robot work. It's adorable.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Yeah our youngest cat absolutely loves to watch it too, it's like Cat TV to him

He'll literally run over everytime it runs to watch

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I should have posted this earlier since the visit is imminent but feeding before a vet appointment, yes/no? I’m leaning towards feeding my cats a late breakfast after their vet trip to avoid any unnecessary mess in their carriers. One of mine is a stress barfer anyway. I feel bad making the vet experience worse by being scared AND hungry but scared and barfy/having to pee or poop is probably also a bad experience :/

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

My two cats have had it for about a week and a half now, and transitioned entirely to it within 24 hours.

They absolutely love it, are constantly peeking at it whenever it moves, and even like to ambush each other when the other leaves it.

It seems to be their new favorite toy honestly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

I should have posted this earlier since the visit is imminent but feeding before a vet appointment, yes/no? I’m leaning towards feeding my cats a late breakfast after their vet trip to avoid any unnecessary mess in their carriers. One of mine is a stress barfer anyway. I feel bad making the vet experience worse by being scared AND hungry but scared and barfy/having to pee or poop is probably also a bad experience :/

Absolutely depends on why they're being taken to the vet. If they may require surgery and you just fed them, the vet might delay the surgery until they've been x hours without food. If you're going for vaccines, it doesn't matter. If you're going because they have trouble breathing, the full stomach can interfere with the movement of the diaphragm and make breathing appear more shallow/rapid. There's some considerations I think. I'm taking this all from human medicine but I can't imagine at this level it's much different.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
One of my cats thinks that she is not allowed to be on my dinner table. I'm actually fine with it since it's next to a window with a nice view. Both of the cats like chilling on the table, but whenever Mona notices that I can see her sitting there she runs away. I guess it's a rule that she learned in her previous life, so any ideas how to convince her otherwise? I've tried giving her treats on the table and approaching slowly to greet her when she is there but it hasn't worked yet.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

She'll eventually forget if the response she expects isn't forthcoming, but it may take a long while.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Finally got my new kitten home, and was able to get the whole litter adopted, so yay!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Hey I could use any suggestions here. My cat is on c/d (probably forever) and has been to two different vets. At this point basically both vets are refusing to confirm the prescription with petco/chewy/whatever because they want me to buy the food from them or the Hills-to-Home service, which won't ship the big 17 pound bags, and is significantly more expensive.

Anybody have any luck getting prescription hills food ordered/delivered when your vet is uncooperative because they want their cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Never seen a vet do that, that's a pretty big red flag to me. Are you really married to staying with them?

You could try anonymously reporting them to your state veterinary licensing board since that's really loving unethical.