Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

If this is anything like Élan School then that kid is absolutely stuck, and with the blessing of the state.

Here's an ongoing comic memoir about Élan School. It is both informative and :nms:, cw: kidnapping, verbal and physical abuse of children, gaslighting

In short, gently caress that guy. Please do everything to make his life miserable.

Learning even a fraction of the poo poo elan schools pull makes you want to be very very violent. I know behind the bastards did at least one episode on the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I guess today I'm the dumb poo poo doing work?

I've been shared out to another department at one of my jobs. The department head position is open and they're seeking applicants, but I don't want to apply for it. Yes I need full-time work. I am stupidly overqualified for that job. It doesn't look require a degree at all, and I have two. My ideal scenario is that the assistant to the vacant position gets that position, and I get the assistant's position. The assistant and I get along great. They don't have a degree, and this is probably as high as they're going to be able to climb without one. I would much rather have the assistant position, and work one job for 40 hours a week rather than two jobs 50 hours a week. Apparently I should be putting my career first and only looking out for myself and all of that. But in my mind, if the hiring committee for this vacant position is going to Passover the assistant, who knows their stuff and has been doing the job for months now, in favor of someone completely new to the company, then the hiring committee are a bunch of idiots. 10 years ago I was the assistant in a similar scenario, and they brought in an outsider who was theoretically competent on paper but did not prove to be doing the actual job, and it sucked.

This is not the same workplace that keeps borrowing the mending supplies for nefarious purposes. No, this is the prestigious workplace, and I should be thinking whichever deity that I worship every night that I was lucky enough they hired me.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ashye posted:

Learning even a fraction of the poo poo elan schools pull makes you want to be very very violent. I know behind the bastards did at least one episode on the place.

It's a nice reminder that the USA does not in fact have any de facto system of law or government

Like you just do whatever the gently caress you want and see if anyone can successfully sue you

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

I think I may have read your posts back in the day in a thread that (ironically enough) kind of got me into looking at and working in the industry.

Lol, I think even back then in 2011 I was going "Don't get into brewing, it's a shitshow" and people keep looking at me and doing it anyway. :v: I'm happy to see so many people thriving in the industry in spite of everything these days, though

What about a Moog board?

[lugs her whole modular synthesizer setup to work to annoy people]

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I brought my Drake posted:

if the hiring committee for this vacant position is going to Passover the assistan

They're gonna kill the assistant's firstborn unless they mark their door with lamb's blood?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As is tradition.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Machai posted:

They're gonna kill the assistant's firstborn unless they mark their door with lamb's blood?

Per HR policy 35.13.B.

Don't you *read* our emails?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Darkest Auer posted:

I think that's how Amazon gets their workers

Nah that's too expensive and too much work. They just advertise to college kids and as a place where they literally don't care about your past as long as you show up. That way you get the dumb, the young and the desperate.

Oh and the really, really dumb. I train in one (trying to keep people from hurting themselves mainly) and every now and then I get someone who I legitimately don't understand how they managed to operate the security turnstiles to get in. Usually those don't last because as soon as they think they can stand on their own they start trying to steal poo poo.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
New email just dropped

Sender is working from home today so we got a rat in the building.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Wifi Toilet posted:

New email just dropped

Reply back: "gently caress off"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Lol, I think even back then in 2011 I was going "Don't get into brewing, it's a shitshow" and people keep looking at me and doing it anyway. :v: I'm happy to see so many people thriving in the industry in spite of everything these days, though

[lugs her whole modular synthesizer setup to work to annoy people]

I mean, overall it's worked for me. It was a good entry into living in Japan that didn't involve grad school or being an English teacher forever. I guess I just read the thread at a time when craft beer had started to take off here and started me thinking it was a possibility.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Wifi Toilet posted:

New email just dropped

You mean a *fuckin'* rat.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Factoid: The 60's term, "Rat Fink" was a PG version of "Rat-fucker"

Even as a kid in the '60s I though 'fink' was a weird word, and it largely disappeared from the lexicon after Nixon resigned :magemage:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Even as a kid in the '60s I though 'fink' was a weird word, and it largely disappeared from the lexicon after Nixon resigned :magemage:

My only frame of reference was the Misfits song.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Super Waffle posted:

I've got applications out, only been here since May but I'm itching to bail. Its a shame because the medical insurance benefits are exceptional (I have no premium).

So you are still going to report that dude to CPS right?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks to the wonders of social media I found out the owner of the brewery I left three years ago gave a softball PR interview at the end of August which included a several paragraphs long rant about jealous haters trying to bring him down. Lol. Sounds like he's doing well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PainterofCrap posted:

This gives "The King is a Fink" a whole new meaning.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Born to Deus
King is a fink
鬼王 Cull Em All 1982
I am a nobleman
410,757,864,530 DEAD CROPS

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

~Coxy posted:

This gives "The King is a Fink" a whole new meaning.
Yeah, no kidding. No wonder it enraged the little poo poo so much.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Took a mental health day on Friday because double gently caress this place. Put my out of office on like a good little doobie. Get an email from my new supervisor who is trying to approve Amex transactions in our expense system

Sup: Crit, this does not seem to be billed. Can you bill before I approve?
Coworker attached to email: He's out today and does not handle billing. Please ask XXXXX about billing issues.

Email 2 5 minutes later
Sup: Crit, again, this is not billed out. Please bill quickly so I may approve.
Coworker: Again, he is not in and does not handle billing. Please forward to XXXXX.

Email 3 10 minutes later.
Sup: Crit, this is also not billed. Please rectify so I can approve these ASAP.
Coworker: Oh my God. Please read my responses. He cannot help you.
Sup: I don't understand. This needs to be done.

He was then ignored and the correct person managed to jump in. This person probably makes triple my salary and I would not trust them to sit the right way around on the toilet.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just had a boss like that get shitcanned which was nice but not enough to make me stay (2 days left!)

Dude’s undoing was that he was also a huge sexist as well as unable to read his e-mails, facts which became extra problematic whenever his boss would get involved (to ask him why he hadn’t actioned poo poo that was emailed to him despite replying to them) because she was a woman.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My company has just sent out an email about next years annual raise (actual numbers in Feb, takes effect March 1). They are going to raise the money pool from the usual 2.5% to 4%. The email blathers on about listening to the employees about compensation.

But an extra 1.5% raise is just switching to an extra large band aid over a sucking chest wound. It’s not going to be enough to keep people around who are looking elsewhere. And it isn’t going to bump the bands enough to attract outside people to sign on. Too much of our compensation is tied up in an annual bonus to make things look palatable to most people outside the company. No matter the fact that the executives know if they ever don’t pay the bonus, there will not be a single non-management person left.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Nah that's too expensive and too much work. They just advertise to college kids and as a place where they literally don't care about your past as long as you show up. That way you get the dumb, the young and the desperate.

Oh and the really, really dumb. I train in one (trying to keep people from hurting themselves mainly) and every now and then I get someone who I legitimately don't understand how they managed to operate the security turnstiles to get in. Usually those don't last because as soon as they think they can stand on their own they start trying to steal poo poo.

I've seen a security guard get their arm stuck in a man trap because they were trying to show off to a female coworker. EMTs got his arm out without any harm and the guy wasn't fired.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thomamelas posted:

I've seen a security guard get their arm stuck in a man trap because they were trying to show off to a female coworker. EMTs got his arm out without any harm and the guy wasn't fired.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Thomamelas posted:

LOL, nice. Real big brains on that one.

I think the best theft story we had off the top of my head (we don't have many because we just generally report a "code 5" and let Loss Prevention take over. Also it's almost always the airpod style wireless earbuds) was the girl who was rebinning in AFE thinking she was stealing gift cards.

For reference in AFE it basically takes 3 people to pack out a package. The tote (big yellow bucket) of raw work comes in and the inductor scans the items and puts them into trays. One item a tray, the tray is sorted by the machinery and handed to the rebinner. The rebinner takes the individual items, now sorted, and builds the packages in a wall (the bins). When the package is done they push it through for the packer to put in a box.

Well this girl noticed how many gift cards Amazon sells, especially during the holiday season. Most of them are also sold basically in the same packaging you see them in at the store: just tacky glued to a sheet of paper so they can be hung near the register for impulse purchases. So after a while whenever she got a gift card she'd pop it out of the packaging and stuff it in her pocket. Only it's pretty damned obvious what's going on as a packer when you start to receive an endless stream of starbucks and chilis and other gift card pieces of paper without the gift card.

It's doubly dumb because those gift cards aren't active until the packer (or cashier at the store) scans the card's barcode to activate them. Which is why I said she "thought" she was stealing them.

Triply dumb because the packer literally cannot process the shipment without scanning the card's number so they'll be constantly calling over for help. Even if the packer is too green to put two and two together the problem solver that answers is going to be an old hand that instantly realizes what happened.

Anyways it's October and one of my favorite things to find at Amazon is the knockoff costumes. "Magic Student", "Thunder Squirrel". Last night I found a "Bunny Squad" costume if you wanted to be Lola Bunny.

Edit: remembered I actually took a picture of "Bunny Squad":

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 10, 2022

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Orvin posted:

My company has just sent out an email about next years annual raise (actual numbers in Feb, takes effect March 1). They are going to raise the money pool from the usual 2.5% to 4%. The email blathers on about listening to the employees about compensation.

But an extra 1.5% raise is just switching to an extra large band aid over a sucking chest wound. It’s not going to be enough to keep people around who are looking elsewhere. And it isn’t going to bump the bands enough to attract outside people to sign on. Too much of our compensation is tied up in an annual bonus to make things look palatable to most people outside the company. No matter the fact that the executives know if they ever don’t pay the bonus, there will not be a single non-management person left.

I've mentioned to a couple people from work that I fully expect a wave of resignations next year because the company has made it very clear it's going to ignore inflation when factoring in raises and bonuses. We pay really well compared to most places around us and people leaving voluntarily is rare, but if we keep raises low and don't adjust salaries to factor in cost of living next month I can see people jumping ship, especially those in the lower levels or in dead end departments where moving up to increase pay isn't very likely.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Edit: remembered I actually took a picture of "Bunny Squad":

More pictures of the FART pillow, please.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Born to Deus
King is a fink
鬼王 Cull Em All 1982
I am a nobleman
410,757,864,530 DEAD CROPS

I get this reference and I love it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Things have definitely slowed down a lot at work. Gotta bottle and keg next week, but nothing going on this week really so I'm taking Monday off to go to Nagano to hike, hit a hot spring, and maybe have a few beers. Gonna brew a Dunkel in two weeks or so then I don't really have anything going on until the collaboration middle of next week. It's getting colder but I need to remember to take some more time off in the coming months.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Accepted an offer with a new place, getting a 15% raise, a promotion, and going from 6 commercial customers with 4 product lines to one 'Customer' that needs to spend 100% of their budget every year.

Hell yeah.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I have two strong leads on competing jobs with a 20% raise from where I'm at, interviews over the next 10 days. Will be able to safely leverage the current place for the same, or pull the lever to the same kind of work for comfortably more.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was informed that the ceo of my stupid company had considered a full clean slate fire-everybody, hire-fresh situation

Lol gently caress this place, gotta gtfo

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rotinaj posted:

Was informed that the ceo of my stupid company had considered a full clean slate fire-everybody, hire-fresh situation

Lol gently caress this place, gotta gtfo

that can’t possibly work for any kind of institution right?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

champagne posting posted:

Questions that CEOs definitely ask themselves before acting impulsively by habit of never having suffered consequences for CEOing

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Well, you'll never be the head of a major corporation.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Company sent out an email saying overall this quarter we made $41 million, so we're gonna have a dinner for first and second shift on the 17th!
3rd are, obviously, invited to come. :rolleyes:
You know what I'd appreciate more that being invited to wake up early as gently caress to come to work on a workday? An extra bonus for making you assholes that much money since it's almost entirely based out of my factory that stops existing, along with my loving job, at the end of March.
Have fun with your SMD lines in Germany that keep kicking products back to us because your home-turf SMD team are incompetent as gently caress. I guess they're finally getting better now that they can't just rely on us to do poo poo for them when they gently caress it up, but eh.

I also got in trouble on my way out for running two 150 panel, 300 board work orders back to back on the first side to make up lost time on the line because of 2nd shift loving a bunch of stuff up. I was already halfway through the second side of the first order, and the 1st shift supe was pissed because, "won't you think of the person who has to work inspection and clip shields?"
Certain shield enclosures have this bracer on them that the vacuum nozzle uses to pick them up and place that you have to clip off with wire cutters before it goes into the inspection robot so it can take pictures of the inside, like this:

Problem is, the operator didn't care, and then we had a 10 minute conversation about how nobody gave a gently caress about how tired our hand was gonna be when we were running 4 orders of 10-20 panels with 30 shields that needed clipping back-to-back not 2 months ago before we moved that product back to Germany. It's all just power tripping because she's losing her little petty fiefdom, despite the fact that I probably put everything back on schedule.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Well, you'll never be the head of a major corporation.

There's a short period of time between firing everyone and hiring the first employee. If you can slay the CEO in that period you acquire all their holdings and positions.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The place I just left tried that (which is why I got hired) and it turned out terribly (which is why I quit).

They didn’t tell me quite how deep they’d cut until I was already in the door, and it became clear that there was nobody outside the c-suite with a tenure longer than a year at this 100 person company, and also it was meant to be 200 but they couldn’t keep most of the staff they hired each month from quitting almost immediately because it loving sucked to work there.

I feel a little bad for my team because some of them were genuinely upset I’m leaving and they are going to be endlessly hosed with now I’m not there to run interference between them and upper management’s micromanaging bullshit, but I gave a few of the good ones my personal number and I’ll be angling to line up jobs for them once I get settled back into my old place in a couple of weeks.

Live and learn!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

Have fun with your SMD lines in Germany that keep kicking products back to us because your home-turf SMD team are incompetent as gently caress.

I hate it when the team is incompetent at sucking my dick at the dick sucking factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Unless you're cleaning out the front office of a sports franchise it just doesn't make sense to clean-slate a company. Every place I've worked has had Standard Work/Work Instructions that are supposed to make it so you can grab some rando and make them into a somewhat productive team member, or at least one who can work mostly on their own by following the guides. The problem with that concept is that nothing is ever as clean as the work instructions make it and there are a ton of details, processes and shortcuts that are left off of those sheets for a variety of issues and those become institutional knowledge. For example, at my current job if you have an invoice that doesn't pay out you need to contact a specific person who will override the blocks. Our branch of the company alone is like 10,000 people all of whom rely on this one woman to clear things up when this happens, and I only found out she was the person to talk to because we ended up in the same training shortly after I joined and I complained there was no way to fix unpaid invoices to the instructor. It's absolutely crazy to think you can just find new people to fill roles and functions based off the current knowledge base. Any company more than a few years old is going to have hidden knowledge and people taking on functions not in their job description, so wiping out the entire roster is just asking for problems.