Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A character's current class determines their moveset. There are four tiers of classes and the higher ones are generally stronger. Once a character has unlocked a class, they can switch to it freely from the convoy.

Battling and training increase a character's mastery of their current class. At each threshold, they permanently acquire a skill which they can equip.

Aside from the beginner classes, in order to unlock a class for a given character, three conditions must be met:

1. The Training facility must be upgraded to a sufficient level
  2. You must spend a seal corresponding to the class' tier
  3. The character must have mastered one of the lower-tier classes preceding it in the class tree.

The weapons and battalions a character can equip are based on the highest-tier class they have unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good to know!

Serenes Forest has lead me to decide that I am reclassing Shez to Myrmidon immediately and sending her up the thief tree.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

It's also worth noting that characters get a -breaker skill from 1 star in their preferred master rank class. For example, Ingrid gets Swordbreaker at 1 star in Falcon Knight. It's usually worthwhile to grab this skill even if you end up using a different class on them. Swordbreaker for example is just a bonus against swords, Ingrid doesn't have to use spears to get the effect.

Every character also gets a secret innate ability that doesn't show up in the menu at all. It's from mastering a specific master class that depends on the character, which is really annoying and I just looked up which class it was for each character.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Oh, also, Prowess abilities can get up to 3 ranks and they come from different classes using the weapon. Sometimes you'll need to go down multiple paths to get them all, like with Sword Prowess. That one comes from Myrmidon, Thief, and Mercenary. It's 10% damage per level of prowess so I always grabbed all three.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
nothing in normal mode is hard enough to merit worrying about any of that stuff so feel free to ignore it completely if you want, just rip up the battlefield with your favorites

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

nothing in hard mode is hard enough to merit worrying about any of that stuff so feel free to ignore it completely if you want, just rip up the battlefield with your favorites

It starts mattering in lunatic but by then you should have some good forged weapons to carry the team. And a swole Shez as a "gently caress this map" button.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hey you have to pay attention for like the first 2/3rd of the game on hard if you want to get S ranks. If you just care about finishing a mission, yeah go ham.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another question. I'm in Azure Gleam chapter 4, the Valley of Torment, and there's a map point, labeled a stronghold, that says it requires completing all side missions in the area. I've done all I can see. Is there a way to see a list of side missions or am I missing something?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Side Missions refers to the optional objectives within a mission, in that case it'd be the mission for the territory that stronghold is in

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Side Missions refers to the optional objectives within a mission, in that case it'd be the mission for the territory that stronghold is in

Ah. So these places aren't locked by chapter? I should return after Aillel? I saw that I can replay the battles for this area.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Ah. So these places aren't locked by chapter? I should return after Aillel? I saw that I can replay the battles for this area.

You can replay any battles, but you won't be able to come back to the chapter's world map later, so if you skip anything locked you'll need another go-around to get to it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McTimmy posted:

You can replay any battles, but you won't be able to come back to the chapter's world map later, so if you skip anything locked you'll need another go-around to get to it.

So how am I supposed to survey this thing then? I even replayed every side battle to make sure I did the side objectives. If not the fancy gold mission, how do I tell what I'm missing?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

So how am I supposed to survey this thing then? I even replayed every side battle to make sure I did the side objectives. If not the fancy gold mission, how do I tell what I'm missing?

The battle in the region the point is in specifically for ones like that. Sometimes it can take a while for in-battle side missions to spawn, frankly sometimes far later than it can to actually sensibly complete the map.

Checking some info looks like it's the bandit/rebel map. For that one, capture the southwest stronghold and then wait and KO the two monks that eventually appear.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm a ways further into the game now, just cleared the Dedue/Felix/Ingrid paralogue. Current thoughts:

* I'm struggling with hitting s-ranks in missions mainly due to merely getting A for enemy kills. Maybe I need to be whacking every base captain I meet?

* I'm enjoying the story quite a lot. So far Azure Gleam has mostly been focused on internal Kingdom problems putting out one fire after another, and I enjoy the greater emphasis on just how complex, delicate, and explosive the Kingdom's internal politics can be.

* I've taken a shine to thief/assassin as my favorite class to play so far. It juggles enemies like nobody's business. Can't get hit if your enemy never touches the ground! It's my favored class for Shez so far.

* Gay levels have escalated perceptibly. Flayn was either incredibly inappropriate with no sense of boundaries (always possible with her), or she was blatantly hitting on lady Shez. I'm not sure I like it considering how her voice actress has been going for even younger than in Houses.

* I have found myself kind of wishing that there was a 'take enemy officer alive but don't force them into your army' option. I've been poaching everyone, and using those strategies had the Lions take Dorothea and Bernie alive simply because they remember Dorothea and Bernie being kind, gentle people at the Academy. Shez sounded as confused as Bernie was that this apparently meant putting Bernie in uniform to fight for the Kingdom.

* On the other hand it did make me laugh how no one cared about Hapi being in the game, including Hapi herself. Your first clue that she's even present is when you simply get the Persuade Hapi strategy. Petra, Dorothea, and Bernie all get some story presence however minor. Hapi is just kinda here and the only explanation given for recruiting her is Dedue noting that she's skilled but lacks motivation.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Cythereal posted:

I'm a ways further into the game now, just cleared the Dedue/Felix/Ingrid paralogue. Current thoughts:

* I'm struggling with hitting s-ranks in missions mainly due to merely getting A for enemy kills. Maybe I need to be whacking every base captain I meet?

Yeah, I found I needed to go out of my way to get S-rank kills a lot of the time, which meant running up against the timer. Really annoying. Killing base captains, and leaving stronghold captains alive while letting their mooks respawn, helped a lot.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Another tip is never give your ai companions orders. They will mill about the map racking up kills on their own, but if you order them to attack a captain, they will ONLY attack the captain and not mooks, losing you a lot of kills. If you have to get them in position, just use a move command.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Cythereal posted:

* I have found myself kind of wishing that there was a 'take enemy officer alive but don't force them into your army' option. I've been poaching everyone, and using those strategies had the Lions take Dorothea and Bernie alive simply because they remember Dorothea and Bernie being kind, gentle people at the Academy. Shez sounded as confused as Bernie was that this apparently meant putting Bernie in uniform to fight for the Kingdom.

This isn't happy fun times at school anymore, its "Get the gently caress out there and fight, I don't care if you are now fighting everyone you knew and loved"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Judge Tesla posted:

This isn't happy fun times at school anymore, its "Get the gently caress out there and fight, I don't care if you are now fighting everyone you knew and loved"

You'd think Bernie would be more useful as a political hostage, though, and knowing her she'd probably be fine living under house arrest. :v:

Hapi and Petra are more or less happy to be here now that Dorothea is also here (for Petra) and the Lions are openly facing the forces of Agartha (for Hapi).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

It's a Fulton recovery device.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

One technique I have found useful for getting kill ranks is: when sending an ally to capture a stronghold, instead of giving them the command Capture, instead tell them to Move there. Once they arrive they'll start fighting anyone they want, which will include the reinforcements that spawn in the stronghold.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I always tried to find a combat art or spell that can just annihilate huge swaths of mooks and use it judiciously. The elemental blade arts you get from Thief are a great example.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All good tips, thank you!

The juggling capability of thief/assassin with the ice explosions has been particularly amusing for me because it seems to work even on all bosses who aren't named Byleth. Weapon triangle disadvantage? Who cares! Welcome to the dreaded Faerghus bouncy castle, Death Knight! Lysithea at least made it quick for you in Houses.

Every non-Byleth boss so far has ended up going down that way, pounded into a corner and juggled to death by knockbacks and launches.

Also I've been training up Bernie specifically because it looks like I'll be killing her dad at some point and I'd like Bernie to do the job when the time comes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I had to Google who Hapi was and I played the DLC in Three Houses like a month ago lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
shameful

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One interesting theme I've noticed in Three Hopes: Dimitri shows a lot more of the understated intelligence and cunning he has in part one of Houses - you might remember how Dimitri figures out that Arundel was killed and replaced by an imposter. Three times now in Hopes, the key to the Lions' victory has been Dimitri making friends and allies in perhaps unexpected places and employing them to the utmost. The pro-Imperial rebellion might have taken the Kingdom by surprise, had Miklan and his bandit gang not been secretly hired by Dimitri. Arianrhod probably would have fallen already, had Dimitri not sent in the Knights of Seiros to reinforce the garrison. Cornelia and the Western Lords might well have held out against the Lions, had Dimitri not arranged for a Duscur army to make a pincer attack from the west as the Lions marched from the east.

People in this story keep expecting Dimitri to be a reckless, blindly aggressive dumbass, and keep getting taken off-guard when Dimitri proves to actually be a very competent strategist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm in Act 3 now and, uh, that escalated quickly. :stare: Rest in peace, Ferdinand, first unavoidable former student death of this game.

I think I'll give Shez's BFF whistle to Ingrid. My gameplay for story missions relies heavily on the thief/assassin YYYYX combo strung together endlessly to juggle enemies into oblivion, and it sounds like I'll be able to add Ingrid's ice launch personal on top of that to make what I've been calling the bouncy castle even more devastating.

Also, that A support for lady Shez and Ingrid was extremely subtexty and I am loving here for it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I gave my first Merc Whistle to Sylvain because having more attack range on my most devastating unit is very useful for getting those S ranks in enemies defeated.

Second I did Hapi because I thought her supports with Shez were cute. Whoever you give the whistle to writes you a letter at the end of the game which is neat. I already forgot who I gave it to on SB.

I'm in Ch 14 or 15 of SB and I'm really starting to burn out but I'm so close to the end I have to close it out. Knowing my luck as soon as I do they will finally announce DLC.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
gave mine to ferdinand because ferdinand

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Had to give my first to Byleth. I actually like her but also her ability is just fun. Who doesn't want ZA WARUDO?!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lorenz also has a very powerful unique skill.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
There's no point in powergaming here, just give your whistle to your best friend

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deltasquid posted:

There's no point in powergaming here, just give your whistle to your best friend

This is my plan. I am here for the massive subtext of lady Shez's A support with Ingrid, and it looks like Ingrid's trait will combo beautifully with how I like to play, forming a virtuous cycle of closeted lesbian icy juggling death.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I would also highly recommend checking out Hapi, Petra, and Lysithea's supports with Shez as well. Because there's subtext and there's Lysithea getting angry at Shez complimenting another woman.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

I would also highly recommend checking out Hapi, Petra, and Lysithea's supports with Shez as well. Because there's subtext and there's Lysithea getting angry at Shez complimenting another woman.

According to the recruitment guide I'm using, Lysithea is not available in Azure Gleam.

Hapi, eh. They didn't even have a C support talk, just a green 'you are now level C!' announcement, and her personality is repellant to me. At least she perked up after the Lions found themselves openly facing Agartha as the bad guys.

I also find it amusing how annoyed Arval is getting that I'm picking the options for Shez to decide she likes it in Faerghus, believes in what Dimitri is doing, and she's ready to let the past be the past with Byleth.

There's a lot of neat little world-building details in Hopes, like Rodrigue explaining that pegasi are a symbol of Faerghus because they can deliver messages and supplies even during winter when intense snowfall cuts off many travel routes in the Kingdom, and Sylvain pointing out that it's not your imagination, everyone in Faerghus loves heavy robes and fancy cloaks, they're both fashionable and incredibly warm during the harsh Faerghus winters.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Cythereal posted:

According to the recruitment guide I'm using, Lysithea is not available in Azure Gleam.

Hapi, eh. They didn't even have a C support talk, just a green 'you are now level C!' announcement, and her personality is repellant to me. At least she perked up after the Lions found themselves openly facing Agartha as the bad guys.

I also find it amusing how annoyed Arval is getting that I'm picking the options for Shez to decide she likes it in Faerghus, believes in what Dimitri is doing, and she's ready to let the past be the past with Byleth.

There's a lot of neat little world-building details in Hopes, like Rodrigue explaining that pegasi are a symbol of Faerghus because they can deliver messages and supplies even during winter when intense snowfall cuts off many travel routes in the Kingdom, and Sylvain pointing out that it's not your imagination, everyone in Faerghus loves heavy robes and fancy cloaks, they're both fashionable and incredibly warm during the harsh Faerghus winters.

????? Repellent? You gotta elaborate cause that's a wild take that I just don't understand.

Hapi calls Hubert "The Bert" and is so incredibly gay for Constance, she's wonderful.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
To be fair, I kinda understand where they're coming from. It took a while for Hapi to grow on me. She mostly just sits around and mopes; it's only once you see her interacting with others in her supports that you kinda get a better feel for her (but she's still not, like, great in my opinion.) Her discussing erotic novels with Ashe in 3 houses is very funny though

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epi Lepi posted:

????? Repellent? You gotta elaborate cause that's a wild take that I just don't understand.

This game is my first real exposure to Hapi beyond LPs (I never bought the DLC for Three Houses because none of it offered anything that interested me), and her entire character I've seen so far is "I don't want to be here, everything sucks."

I have Bernie for that already. The Lions pick her up in the first post-timeskip mission, and so far I haven't gotten a single support conversation between Hapi and anyone. Just a bunch of C support levels with no actual conversation, even with Shez.

I get the feeling that Hapi has a bigger role to play in one of the other stories. My experience with her so far is that she's an annoying personality attached to a character who's completely irrelevant to the story.

She is the only character I've gotten so far who absolutely no one else in the story has commented on her being here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This game is a sequel which assumes some familiarity with the source material. In some cases that means assuming some familiarity with the DLC. If you're not attached to a character, it's okay to ignore them, but when discussing them with others, you should account for the difference in your prior exposure to relevant details.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Cythereal posted:

This game is my first real exposure to Hapi beyond LPs (I never bought the DLC for Three Houses because none of it offered anything that interested me), and her entire character I've seen so far is "I don't want to be here, everything sucks."

I have Bernie for that already. The Lions pick her up in the first post-timeskip mission, and so far I haven't gotten a single support conversation between Hapi and anyone. Just a bunch of C support levels with no actual conversation, even with Shez.

I get the feeling that Hapi has a bigger role to play in one of the other stories. My experience with her so far is that she's an annoying personality attached to a character who's completely irrelevant to the story.

She is the only character I've gotten so far who absolutely no one else in the story has commented on her being here.

You should probably watch some of her supports from 3H because this game assumes you know all of her traumas and issues, I don't think it ever directly restates the information that we learn about her in the DLC. I would say the same for the rest of the Ashen Wolves tbh, they're all great characters, but I think that Hapi suffers the most from the game assuming you have all the information already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Deltasquid posted:

To be fair, I kinda understand where they're coming from. It took a while for Hapi to grow on me. She mostly just sits around and mopes; it's only once you see her interacting with others in her supports that you kinda get a better feel for her (but she's still not, like, great in my opinion.) Her discussing erotic novels with Ashe in 3 houses is very funny though

I wonder why the girl who summons monsters every time she sighs would be in a low mood.