Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I can't stop just playing Mystery Heroes and various arcade modes. When you can't decide who to play just let the game decide for you.

What are your preferred arcade modes, if I may ask? I've been trying to get some in, but the queues have just been intolerable most of the time. I know they're never going to be as fast as QP, but they just don't seem to pop at all a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I keep getting put into matches that are wildly one sided either in my favor or not.
One of them was on the new push map and instead of pushing the bot the winning side spawn camped and just farmed kills all map long.
The bot only moved a sliver so they could secure the win.

I’d say greater than 80% of my matches are one sided.
It ain’t fun. Even if I’m on the winning side.

The match making in this game is poo poo.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 12, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mind over Matter posted:

What are your preferred arcade modes, if I may ask? I've been trying to get some in, but the queues have just been intolerable most of the time. I know they're never going to be as fast as QP, but they just don't seem to pop at all a lot of the time.

Various deathmatch formats usually because I'm an old TF2 head that enjoys just slumming around in no brain arenas. Total Mayhem is fun when it's up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Wankie posted:

I can't tell if it's just people know that if they get banned for slurs they make new accounts for free.

Isn't that way harder now with the real phone number stuff?

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Wankie posted:

My experience as a LONG time OW player (Gold border Plat rank tank main) OW2 is WAY more toxic. I can't tell if it's just people know that if they get banned for slurs they make new accounts for free. In just the past 3 games I have had two tank players actively afk for minutes at a time or just leave right at the start of a new round ruining comp matches. Or a DPS player on voice going on homophobic rants/slurs for half the game. I only experienced this maybe once a month in OW1.

I think part of problem is your sole win condition is does your tank know how to play the position or not? If your tank is worse you autolose if they are better you autowin. The Developers said they wanted to make each player more responsible for wins or loses but they didn't, they made the tank the only position that matters. Game play wise I think 5v5 was a colossal mistake if tanks are going to be so crazy overpowered compared to all the other roles.

It really does feel like the tank is the only position that matters sometimes, yeah.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

You'll probably eventually be able to get two or three goons together to play so you won't always be solo queuing.

Eventually.

Bottom Liner posted:

Isn't that way harder now with the real phone number stuff?

Blizzard walked that back in the name of attempting good PR, despite there being literally nothing you can do to make people who were pissed off about something like that have goodfeels about Blizzard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Blizzard walked that back in the name of attempting good PR, despite there being literally nothing you can do to make people who were pissed off about something like that have goodfeels about Blizzard.

they walked it back for existing accounts; new ones will still have to use a non-prepaid phone number

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wankie posted:

I think part of problem is your sole win condition is does your tank know how to play the position or not? If your tank is worse you autolose if they are better you autowin. The Developers said they wanted to make each player more responsible for wins or loses but they didn't, they made the tank the only position that matters. Game play wise I think 5v5 was a colossal mistake if tanks are going to be so crazy overpowered compared to all the other roles.

Disagree entirely. Tanks are more important now, but there's only one of them. A healer or DPS can also be more impactful than they were in 6v6 and those roles feel much better now too without shield spam and two tanks to keep up while team healing. A good healer can carry a mediocre tank and a good DPS can murder a backline no matter how well the tank is playing the front. It's a much more dynamic flow now. A single pick is still huge, but comebacks are more likely with a well timed ult or counter-pick.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 12, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

xgalaxy posted:

blizz reset mmr for everyone so games are going to be way more lopsided initially

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I was playing support and the enemy Echo did nothing but flank all game without getting punished. I'm pretty proud that I didn't get toxic and just told my Soldier that it was his job to kill the Echo and peel for healers. Eventually he started doing that and we barely held on to win.

It felt good to not get upset and just try to coach people. And they weren't toxic back so that was nice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

blizz reset mmr for everyone so games are going to be way more lopsided initially

But also that's just the way it goes in many competitive games, including top 500 matches and pro matches. Sometimes players can be in the top 0.1% and get absolute rolled like they're bronze.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Bottom Liner posted:

But also that's just the way it goes in many competitive games, including top 500 matches and pro matches. Sometimes players can be in the top 0.1% and get absolute rolled like they're bronze.

Yea but that’s an outlier in every other game I’ve played that has a skill based rating. Like 1 in 100 matches.
In OW2 since release the majority of the time it’s lopsided matches so bad the team can’t even get out of the loving door.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

xgalaxy posted:

I keep getting put into matches that are wildly one sided either in my favor or not.
One of them was on the new push map and instead of pushing the bot the winning side spawn camped and just farmed kills all map long.
The bot only moved a sliver so they could secure the win.

I’d say greater than 80% of my matches are one sided.
It ain’t fun. Even if I’m on the winning side.

Maybe its a lot of premade teams rolling together right now. Those usually steamroll solo players

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

Yea but that’s an outlier in every other game I’ve played that has a skill based rating. Like 1 in 100 matches.
In OW2 since release the majority of the time it’s lopsided matches so bad the team can’t even get out of the loving door.

Nah, maybe 1 in 10 games is even close to a hard farm like that. Definitely not the majority of games in any mode.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If anything my experience has been that OW2 is a lot more swingy, mid-match, than OW1 was

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I was a dedicated player of Mystery Heroes, the only good OW mode, and after spending some time with the mode in OW2 I think I have to regretfully conclude that it's worse now. The new tanks make it a slog, IMO.

I hope they will eventually figure out that they need to turn off the tank buff just for that mode.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

xgalaxy posted:

I bet my rear end they stopped you from seeing other player's ranks in an attempt to hide the fact that they relaxed the matchmaker to try to improve queue times.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I could use some advice on when/how to play Brigitte. I'm having issues keeping alive, and I think it's because I'm playing too far forward to keep in melee range. Where should I position myself, and should I be playing aggressively, or try to stick behind the tank?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PunkBoy posted:

I could use some advice on when/how to play Brigitte. I'm having issues keeping alive, and I think it's because I'm playing too far forward to keep in melee range. Where should I position myself, and should I be playing aggressively, or try to stick behind the tank?

Brig is actually a really tough hero to play effectively, despite the fact that it seems like she just goes in and swings on people. Her power lies in AoE healing during team fights, and using her E to keep inspire up without being in melee range, and it can be kinda difficult to consistently hit with the E every time. If you just go in and start swinging on things, you'll always get splatted, so learning when to counter engage and how to keep yourself safe/zone enemies before hand is the key to getting better. I haven't tried her at all yet in OW2, but she probably isn't much different. Her stun made her annoying, but it's the AoE healing that makes her carry in some situations, and you can't put that healing out if you are dead.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

PunkBoy posted:

I don't think its completely figured out yet in OW2, but in the latest OW1 she was best playing with the other support. There are periods when it's best for her to do nothing at all, but having both supports alive is a huge advantage. So you just make flankers useless, throw armor packs at the front line and keep AOE healing up with flail. I think her most important stat is AOE uptime. just use the flail on cooldown and actually hit someone.

After you've done all that, then you can have a flail swinging brawl party as soon as there is so much chaos that you won't be singled out. The real trick is to know when you can get value out of swinging. Usually it is someone that is out of position, or your tank is hitting a squishy and you can dash forward and help finish them.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Thank you! Some really good stuff I'll keep in mind.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 12, 2022

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Playing as a support in solo queue is absolutely cancer. Its so painful to play walking simulator cause your tank insists on hiding in the back and your dps cant deal with a pharah who isn't even trying to hide.

I play Baptiste, so I just kill the pharah myself

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

dipped in to some mei in qp for the first time since ow1. she feels a lot more fun with only one tank and fewer shields to completely negate her damage/slow. should be a fun alt when junkrat/pharah aren't doing the job

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

PunkBoy posted:

You have three primary tasks as Brig: 1) Stay alive, 2) keep inspire going, 3) keep your other support alive. Inspire lasts for 6 seconds and activates off of melee, whip shot, and shield bash, so you don’t need to be activating it super often. Whip shot is going to be the safest way to keep Inspire going, so you should look to whip shot people playing out in the open as often as possible. I like to stick to the sides, peeking around cover and coming out to hit a whip shot.

If someone is out of position and taking damage, I’ll come out to throw them a heal pack , then duck back behind cover. If you have to move across open ground, use shield bash to move a little faster then keep your shield pointed the enemy front line. You are one of the most survivable supports, and if you die before the fight breaks out then you’ve really hosed up and should feel bad. But if you play like a scared fox then you’ll stay alive and get more value.

If your other support is something like an Ana or Bap, you need to keep looking toward the edges for flankers. Genji/Reaper/Tracer/Sombra should be eating whip shots to keep them away as you call out their positions. You can easily 1v1 Genji and Sombra, but Tracer is a little more difficult and Reaper should be avoided. Hit them with melee or whip shot, hold up your shield for a second or two to heal, melee/shield bash a little more, shield, then if they haven’t run away then go ahead and kill them.

When the fight breaks out, just get in there and swing. Hit Rally at the start of the fight or right before. Don’t get into a fight with the enemy Reinhardt because you’ll lose. If a Rein gets into hammer range, turn around 180 and shield bash away then try to get to safety.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, you're not a fan of ranked role? Could you say a little more about that? I'd be curious to hear what you think because I've seen you have some pretty insightful takes on Apex and I'm personally uncertain on Overwatch right now, I can't tell if I'm just very rusty can't process gameplay or if it's actually a big sloppy mess.

So, its less ranked role q (i never liked it in the first place, to be fair) but the new balancing in general. So, for context (and for anyone else following along)

Role Q in itself was an effort for them to try and force the meta away from 3-3. This was a comp that pretty much could only exist because of Brig and her ridiculous brawling (and at the start, a bug that made all of her rally armour way stronger than advertised. This wasn't really fixed until 3-3 was on its way out).

The problem I have is they kept adding additional stuns, more damage, etc to deal with 3-3 for the year it was out. So when they moved it down to 2-2-2, they didn't really revert any of those changes. Suddenly everyone is having to stun everything or run double shield to deal with the ridiculous amount of damage coming out. You could still run the other comps, but it required way more game knowledge than just "alternate shields bro" so they weren't so popular.

The other issue I have with this is that now, if you have a problem that someone on your team isn't dealing with or unable to deal with, you can no longer swap to help out. I actually have old youtube videos where I go back to spawn and swap to widow when the other team grabs a Pharah after asking my other tank player if he's ok with solo tanking while I deal with it. We had way more counterplay in our comps (with teams that actually communicate) than we ever will again. This is fine for people who don't want to talk to other players and insist that talking to others in an online game is impossible, but I made my way to 4.4 by shotcalling and co-ordinating with people.

Also, finally the new changes mean's that supports are basically hosed. Nobody wants to play supports right now because they're just getting relentlessly bullied by whoever looks at them. Sombra Dva dives will 100% kill anyone who isn't a tank.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been playing Brig almost exclusively since launch, but I've ALSO just now started trying the other heroes because Brig can feel like you're ice-skating up hill compared to other supports.

Chain Shot
You do NOT want to be in melee range unless the fight is heavily in your sides favor or you're confident someone else on your team will be drawing attention.

Instead, you want to be landing that chain shot every time it's off cooldown, this is your main mechanical challenge. It's easiest if you position yourself where you can reach a busy choke and/or the enemy tank, even if that means stepping into a slightly more dangerous position just while launching the shot.

Health Pack
Brigs pack healing has great range and ease of use, but it's exhausted quickly. Use the health packs to heal distant targets, or tanks taking active fire, or critical teammates, or an injured support. However, try not to use your third and final pack except to save critical team mates - you'll always have more opportunities than packs, and you don't want to be caught being the only one that could save a critical team mate but you were overly liberal a few seconds earlier in less critical situations.

Charge
Charge is mainly a positioning tool. I primarily use it to quickly change los - you're not going to out run a genji but you can escape a rein, or dodge a long range opponent, or force los on a distant teammate you otherwise can't see to heal.

Barrier
Brigs barrier won't stand up to anything like sustained damage, but it's useful for three things:

Stopping high damage single hits like deadeye, or hogs hook.

"Distracting" bad DPS who might waste a couple seconds of a team fight shooting it. Let them deal one or two hundred damage to it (don't let them break it), then use the charge to break los. That was a second or two of a team fight that DPS wasn't doing much, especially if you'd already gained your aura from a chain shot.

Doubling your own hp when you need it, like you just need another second for your cool downs, or a team mate to arrive, or you're passing through a dangerous los.

Tactics
Brig is best when she's keeping her healing up with her chain shot, staying with the team so her aura hits them. She's very good at frustrating enemy positioning - she can counter rein and hog very well. Keep them away with chain shot, block the hook, counter the charge with your own charge - you'll both be knocked down but presumably you're both lying in the middle of your team, you'll live, he won't.

What Brig is worst at, and it's getting to the point that I don't want to play her, is she can't kill anyone in anything like a fair fight. Her primary attack just does so very, very little damage. She's relatively tough, for a support, but she'll be ground down in a 1v1 by literally anyone else. Way too many times as Brig I would get the drop on an enemy DPS and still lose the resulting fight - her damage just isn't there. When I switch to any other support it's a night and day difference in my ability to actually kill someone.

I like her aesthetic, her mechanics, the support tank hybrid, but I'm really on the fence because it seems like you have to position yourself properly and hit all three of your cooldowns just to keep the enemy tank out of position and keep your own side alive, while you wait for the team fight to break in your favor. It feels like that same amount of execution (being in the right spot, landing most of your kit) would lead to much more impact as any other support.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 12, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah I definitely need to use chain shot more. I didn't realize that it should be my primary way to proc Inspire.

I agree that Brig's damage is terrible and it feels really sad to get into someone's face and still lose.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it def won't happen but man I wish they'd put 6v6 back in even if it's in another mode, I miss the chaos firefights in large groups

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've just seen so many death cams where a half health DPS isn't even looking at me, I melee them twice as brig, they don't die and then they finally receive support from a healer and then they turn and kill me. If I'd been literally any other character in the game they'd be dead?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

KarQ:s official tier list is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sPxvgrKwEg

No Surprises there. Doomfist is in bad place and Junkqueen isn't doing that hot either.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

they basically made doomfist's primary skill do dogshit damage in return for a better cooldown so it isn't surprising. Also not surprising that D.Va is god tier, provided I see her in every single loving game I play

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Doomfists defensive ability is basically 'CC me' button on a mobile hero. If it ate sleepdarts and grenades it could be good.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

adhuin posted:

KarQ:s official tier list is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sPxvgrKwEg

No Surprises there. Doomfist is in bad place and Junkqueen isn't doing that hot either.

I'm always wary of these tier lists as they assume a level of mechanical skill most players don't have including me

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

They forgot zen. He's gotta be A tier

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

headcase posted:

They forgot zen. He's gotta be A tier

I took a picture from wrong spot. He's B-tier, which seems about right.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm always wary of these tier lists as they assume a level of mechanical skill most players don't have including me

True. PocketMercy is A/S tier on bronze depending on how suicidal are her ress attempts.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I had a huge laugh when I was finally playing a Doomfist the other day as Orisa and realized his block ability didn't protect him from my javelin. that's awful

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I feel like tier lists don't matter much for the majority of players at gold-ish level or below, which is a sizeable chunk of the playerbase. That said, I have found it significantly easier to play the tank role as D.Va compared to Junker Queen, but despite that, Junker Queen is so much fun to play :black101:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've just seen so many death cams where a half health DPS isn't even looking at me, I melee them twice as brig, they don't die and then they finally receive support from a healer and then they turn and kill me. If I'd been literally any other character in the game they'd be dead?

Swing bash whip does 140 damage. If that doesn't kill him then its not your problem and you can get back to cover. If it does kill them you're safe.

Typically you want to animation cancel with brig as much as you can to reduce exposure.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Barrier
Brigs barrier won't stand up to anything like sustained damage, but it's useful for three things:

Stopping high damage single hits like deadeye, or hogs hook.

"Distracting" bad DPS who might waste a couple seconds of a team fight shooting it. Let them deal one or two hundred damage to it (don't let them break it), then use the charge to break los. That was a second or two of a team fight that DPS wasn't doing much, especially if you'd already gained your aura from a chain shot.

Doubling your own hp when you need it, like you just need another second for your cool downs, or a team mate to arrive, or you're passing through a dangerous los.

You can also stand in front of a widow or a hanzo who's having a duel, the shield is just high enough to win those exchanges, do it with a friend all the time.

Bonus, you're already in position to gently caress up a dive.

teagone posted:

I feel like tier lists don't matter much for the majority of players at gold-ish level or below, which is a sizeable chunk of the playerbase. That said, I have found it significantly easier to play the tank role as D.Va compared to Junker Queen, but despite that, Junker Queen is so much fun to play :black101:

I mean junker queens problem is that she's basically budget hog and hog already isn't that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

teagone posted:

Yeah, watching whats-his-face play Kiriko (who he put at s-tier), it's obvious why she's ranked so highly. She's insane in a top-500 player's hands. The average player is not gonna hit headshots anywhere close to the rate of a top 500. Kiriko can quickly turn into a liability if you can't land her m1 or don't understand when to hit shift or E, but her healing is still decent.