Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Couldn't get an FE and Canada Computers opened up early so I couldn't get an AIO one, but I got a Gigabyte Windforce into my cart. Have to decide ASAP between that and the 4090 FE backordered to Oct 24th, ugh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.techpowerup.com/

TechPowerUp has a bunch of AIB reviews up, but they're for the generally more expensive ones.

these coolers are so overbuilt lmao

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

And fingers crossed that I don't have instant buyer's remorse about buying the MSI Gaming X Trio

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Parker Lewis posted:

And fingers crossed that I don't have instant buyer's remorse about buying the MSI Gaming X Trio
i think aesthetics, noise, and placement of pcie ports are about the only variables you should worry about

some cards have an additional hdmi 2.1 port like asus fwiw

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Parker Lewis posted:

It seems fine. Though I have no idea what the difference is between that and the $50 cheaper regular Gaming Trio.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Is just the 4090 embargo going up or are the reviews for the other models coming out today too?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I got the 1599 gaming trio. Amazed anyone got the BB FE dang went straight to OOS

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I think I managed to snag an MSI 4090 from Newegg I hope they don't cancel my order like some people in the discord are saying :ohdear:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Most models still in stock on Newegg it seems, not nearly the demand as there was last gen (or else they are sitting on a mountain of inventory compared to last time). 4090 is a beast of a card, but I can't imagine a reason to upgrade from a 3080ti. Was worried I'd have some serious FOMO this morning, but I think waiting until the 5 series will be fine.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Most 4090s are not in stock on Newegg try checking out with one

Could have gotten the more expensive Asus Tuf one but would rather wait a bit for the cheaper one or a FE

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lockback posted:

Is just the 4090 embargo going up or are the reviews for the other models coming out today too?

4090 FE embargo was up yesterday, today's all the other models. tl;dr for the 4090 is that all the rumors were basically true and the thing is legit 2x faster than the 3090 at its best (sometimes more). it's more like 70 - 90% better in a lot of games though. It's a huge waste for anything other than 4K though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the new driver is out with 4090 support, but nvidia are also claiming some decent performance wins for earlier RTX cards in DX12 titles

quote:

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: up to 24% (1080p)
Battlefield 2042: up to 7% (1080p)
Borderlands 3: Up to 8% (1080p)
Call of Duty: Vanguard: up to 12% (4K)
Control: up to 6% (4K)
Cyberpunk 2077: up to 20% (1080p)
F1Ⓡ 22: up to 17% (4K)
Far Cry 6: up to 5% (1440p)
Forza Horizon 5: up to 8% (1080P)
Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition: up to 8% (4k)
Red Dead Redemption 2: up to 7% (1080p)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider: up to 5% (1080p)
Tom Clancy’s The Division 2: up to 5% (1080p)
Watch Dogs: Legion: up to 9% (1440p)

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidias-new-driver-enables-substantial-directx12-performance-improvements-for-geforce-rtx-gpus

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
an interesting bit in the latest geforce whql blog post about some dx12 performance optimizations:

Nvidia posted:

Substantial DirectX 12 Performance Improvements For GeForce RTX GPUs

In the last year, Game Ready Drivers have given GeForce gamers optimum performance in over 80 new releases, and have continued to optimize and improve the games you’re still playing. Most recently, our engineering team has designed new DirectX 12 enhancements that accelerate performance by double digits in a wide array of games.

These improvements include shader compilation optimization, reduced CPU overhead, and Resizable BAR profiles for Forza Horizon 5 and F1Ⓡ 22. Many of these optimizations are most beneficial in CPU-bound scenarios, enabling your graphics card to be utilized to a greater degree. In Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk 2077, and Forza Horizon 5, performance improved by up to 24%[.]

Our DirectX 12 optimizations apply to GeForce RTX graphics cards and laptops, though improvements will vary based on your specific system setup, and the game settings used. In our testing, performance increases were found in a wide variety of DirectX 12 games, across all resolutions:

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: up to 24% (1080p)
Battlefield 2042: up to 7% (1080p)
Borderlands 3: Up to 8% (1080p)
Call of Duty: Vanguard: up to 12% (4K)
Control: up to 6% (4K)
Cyberpunk 2077: up to 20% (1080p)
F1Ⓡ 22: up to 17% (4K)
Far Cry 6: up to 5% (1440p)
Forza Horizon 5: up to 8% (1080P)
Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition: up to 8% (4k)
Red Dead Redemption 2: up to 7% (1080p)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider: up to 5% (1080p)
Tom Clancy’s The Division 2: up to 5% (1080p)
Watch Dogs: Legion: up to 9% (1440p)

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-4090-game-ready-driver/

sounds like a mess for benchmarkers, but hey

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Enos Cabell posted:

Most models still in stock on Newegg it seems, not nearly the demand as there was last gen (or else they are sitting on a mountain of inventory compared to last time). 4090 is a beast of a card, but I can't imagine a reason to upgrade from a 3080ti. Was worried I'd have some serious FOMO this morning, but I think waiting until the 5 series will be fine.

I am already second guessing the wisdom in upgrading from my $700 3080 10gb FE (which was a no-brainer upgrade that I was lucky enough to be able to purchase 2 years ago) when the 3080 is still pretty capable at most of the games I am playing on my tv at 4K 60FPS. In particular, any non-current-gen games.. I have spent the past week replaying Fallout 3 / Tale of Two Wastelands which is not exactly taxing the GPU.

I guess the 4090 will give me an excuse to finally check out Cyberpunk at least, that's the one game I have been holding off on playing because it didn't seem like I would be able to turn up all the graphics details with a 3080.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AMD NVidia finewine

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kliras posted:

an interesting bit in the latest geforce whql blog post about some dx12 performance optimizations:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-4090-game-ready-driver/

sounds like a mess for benchmarkers, but hey

I imagine these were the drivers nvidia gave to reviewers for testing, but this could certainly have skewed the results for any reviews that carried over old data without retests.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Parker Lewis posted:

I am already second guessing the wisdom in upgrading from my $700 3080 10gb FE (which was a no-brainer upgrade that I was lucky enough to be able to purchase 2 years ago) when the 3080 is still pretty capable at most of the games I am playing on my tv at 4K 60FPS. In particular, any non-current-gen games.. I have spent the past week replaying Fallout 3 / Tale of Two Wastelands which is not exactly taxing the GPU.

I guess the 4090 will give me an excuse to finally check out Cyberpunk at least, that's the one game I have been holding off on playing because it didn't seem like I would be able to turn up all the graphics details with a 3080.

FYI, Cyberpunk runs great on the 3080, even with RT turned up, as long as you use DLSS.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Parker Lewis posted:

Same, would have slightly preferred an FE from Best Buy but never saw it available for purchase. I got the Gaming X Trio from Newegg instead.

I was in a discord that announced stock was online, and then gave a URL append at the end to get in queue. If it wasn't for that, I don't think I would have gotten the FE. I was in line about 5 minutes before 9.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Oh my god those prices on Newegg Canada.

I wonder if they're really the direct $US to $Cnd conversions or if we have the usual Canadian "tax" on a lot of goods. You also have to factor the real 5% tax and then add the Quebec 9.975% tax which is calculated on (original price + previous 5% tax).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cablemod are selling kits with PCIe5 connectors now, if you really care about the aesthetics of your cabling

https://store.cablemod.com/12vhpwr-kit-picker/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Pirate Captain posted:

FYI, Cyberpunk runs great on the 3080, even with RT turned up, as long as you use DLSS.
Yeah I didn’t even have many issues with my 3070

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Zotac Trinity 4090 ($1600 model) was the last one to go out of stock at Newegg, 45 - 50 minutes into availability. The fact that it wasn't an instantaneous sellout is a good sign for future availability. All rumors point to the supply being good or maybe too good, which is a great sign for all the sensible people who want to wait for price cuts.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the fe sales at best buy otoh sound like a disaster. not even clear whether there were even any in stock to begin with

maybe this was why?

https://twitter.com/thiojoe/status/1580193627443122176

i think ampere had a similar problem on nvidia's website where something leaked ahead of time and caused a huge mess too

that's why we still have aib's i guess

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

alex's post-embargo DLSS3 analysis is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ZqYaPXxas

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is some rich boi hobby now or just put yourself in debt to play video games on a computer. :lol:

gently caress these prices. :canada:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not that there is stock, but BB :canada: pricing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Vintersorg posted:

This is some rich boi hobby now or just put yourself in debt to play video games on a computer. :lol:

Nobody needs a 4090 to play games. (Although I would like one!!)

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

kliras posted:

the fe sales at best buy otoh sound like a disaster. not even clear whether there were even any in stock to begin with

maybe this was why?

https://twitter.com/thiojoe/status/1580193627443122176

i think ampere had a similar problem on nvidia's website where something leaked ahead of time and caused a huge mess too

that's why we still have aib's i guess

I used the link. It was literally just the regular link, with something appended on the end to add to cart. As far as I can tell it wasn't bots, and was just low stock.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

I managed to snap up one of the Gaming Trio cards from the MSI store when they were available in the middle of the night. Now I get to find out firsthand how quickly they ship their orders!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I woke up a bit late so i'll hold onto my Zotac for a bit assuming the Amazon order goes through

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

the new driver is out with 4090 support, but nvidia are also claiming some decent performance wins for earlier RTX cards in DX12 titles

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidias-new-driver-enables-substantial-directx12-performance-improvements-for-geforce-rtx-gpus

Wow some of those are big. I know it’s an AMD sponsored title but Radeons had an especially big advantage in Valhalla. I hope these numbers are genuine. I’ll do some quick benchmarks later.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I hope it was the right call to buy a 1599 MSRP card... they definitely don't have some of the features (such as a vapor chamber, less heat pipes? etc) but I'm banking on the fact that these coolers are so overbuilt that ultimately the higher end models won't make a difference unless you're overclocking.

Especially since if anything I'll undervolt it a bit. The data we've been shown so far suggests the card barely benefits from its standard volting.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Vintersorg posted:

*Filters dealership website to only Super Cars*

Wow I guess driving is a rich boi hobby now

_____!
May 2, 2004

B&H preorder is a regular sale or a distant preorder? (not counting that they aren't working this week obviously) I just don't want to make the mistake of hitting preorder and finding out I won't get it for months.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Just cancel or return it if you don’t find anything in the mean time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

_____! posted:

B&H preorder is a regular sale or a distant preorder? (not counting that they aren't working this week obviously) I just don't want to make the mistake of hitting preorder and finding out I won't get it for months.

B&H pulls some shady poo poo- they took orders for 3080s and as far as I know took months to fulfill.

That being said, things are a little different now. Nvidia delayed the release of the 4090 for quite some time, meaning stocks are better (but still not great).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, a B&H preorder is the worst preorder you can get, but it's still a preorder, and given the stock situation, which seems better than Ampere, you would likely get a card within a month maybe?

It's hard to say.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Thanks I couldn't remember if they pulled that kind of poo poo, I've only ever ordered film through them :v:

At the very least I didn't expect to see anything up for order so the situation is noticeably better than the last couple generations.

_____! fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 12, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

alex's post-embargo DLSS3 analysis is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ZqYaPXxas

Is there a reason Alex applies global VSYNC to prevent screen tearing when exceeding a monitor's refresh rate, rather than using a global fps cap?

Would that also fix the latency issue when the DLSS3 performance exceeds the vsync rate?

Cool tech, and actually seems pretty good out of the gate, but still has kinks that need ironing out.

This is a quick camera cut.

It can have issues with transparencies and thin object

In motion, this can make these look darker, or I imagine appear to flicker in some scenarios.

Also quick camera movements can get messy, though Alex felt it would only matter in third person games played with a mouse.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Enos Cabell posted:

4090 is a beast of a card, but I can't imagine a reason to upgrade from a 3080ti. Was worried I'd have some serious FOMO this morning, but I think waiting until the 5 series will be fine.

Yeah, I'm looking for a bigger perf/$ figure before I look to upgrade from my 3080 12GB. Maybe the likely refresh will be more enticing in that regard, just have to wait and see.

Edit: Nothing I've seen about this frame generation tech makes it look good to me. I don't anticipate using that ever. Maybe that's saying too much, I'm sure they'll improve it as time goes on - if it's ever attractive I guess I'll reevaluate but for the time being, blech.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

This is a quick camera cut.

this one at least should be an easy fix, if the game informs DLSS that a camera cut has occurred it could just double the first frame after the cut rather than trying to interpolate and generating nonsense