Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Msi on Newegg on sale now.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-4090-rtx-4090-gaming-trio-24g/p/N82E16814137762?cm_mmc=vendor-nvidia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_____!
May 2, 2004

...and it's gone.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Edit: ^^^^ well, you win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k5oAaXINX8

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You guys talking about cyberpunk, theres only two good reasons to play that game: a very deep interest in sci-fi, or being the kinda person who has to 100% open world games. Otherwise its just not great.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
debating on picking up a 4090 since i got a oled tv and i want 4k 120fps for the forseeable future. i have a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core that i picked up last year so im wondering if that could possibly be a bottleneck as i'm looking to make this the last pc upgrade for quite some time. i currently have a 3070 which at the time i thought i was set for 1440p gaming, but now with the new tv i want moar power.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

repiv posted:

this one at least should be an easy fix, if the game informs DLSS that a camera cut has occurred it could just double the first frame after the cut rather than trying to interpolate and generating nonsense

you theoretically wouldn't even need the game to inform dlss, scene and edit detection has been a thing in video editing software for years now and it's sure as hell much less computationally expensive than frame generation

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

you theoretically wouldn't even need the game to inform dlss, scene and edit detection has been a thing in video editing software for years now and it's sure as hell much less computationally expensive than frame generation

maybe not, but checking for a hard cut every frame would have an overhead every frame, to handle a case that doesn't even come up that often

the game engine already knows when it's doing a camera cut so having it just pass that information to DLSS would be much more efficient

DLSS2/FSR2/XeSS already have a "reset bit" the engine can set to have the scaler nuke its temporal history after a camera cut to prevent after-images

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vintersorg posted:

This is some rich boi hobby now or just put yourself in debt to play video games on a computer. :lol:

gently caress these prices. :canada:

the hobby of buying top end hardware the second it comes out has always been for rich people. that is a separate hobby from playing video games on a computer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

codo27 posted:

You guys talking about cyberpunk, theres only two good reasons to play that game: a very deep interest in sci-fi, or being the kinda person who has to 100% open world games. Otherwise its just not great.

This is being rather unfair to big chunks of the game, especially the story set pieces and character writing, but I realize it's not too uncommon a view.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 12, 2022

_____!
May 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

This is being rather unfair to big chunks of the game, especially the story set pieces and character writing, but I realize it's not too an uncommon view.

Agreed! Although for a fourth reason about 150 hours I put in was playing "is this wall solid/can I climb that":q:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
CP2077 is fine, its a good game.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I like Cyberpunk, where else are you going to pretend to be a Shadowrunner in an FPS? (disregarding the lame 2007 Shadowrunner FPS)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The goalposts have moved then for this hobby. Only rich people can get the latest and greatest. Everyone else can just get old stuff and maybe hope for a sale down the road.

I found posts from years ago when the 1080 launched and people were shocked at the prices then - around $800 for the best of the best. Brand new.

Saying I just filtered "super cars" on a dealers website is bullshit. That stuff before was the Titan cards.

The new norm is spending $1000+ on the video card alone. And it's kinda gross.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

$1 in 2016 becomes $1.20 in 2022. So that was looking like $1000 for that performance tier of card expressed in 2022 bux. In 2008 the GTX 280 launch price was $649, which is almost $900 today. Considering the required investment to get a GPU chip to the point of mass production has drastically increased over time I am not really surprised that the cost of these high performance cards remains high. Back in the GeForce 4 era I remember the Ti was like $399, which would be almost $700 today, and that was a much simpler design that did not require nearly as much investment to produce in the first place.

I think it's very fair to consider trends in computing that are demanding ever higher performance even as it gets harder to squeeze out of designs are indeed putting more and more pressure upwards on price, it does kinda suck to be out of the golden age when improvements were comparatively much cheaper to achieve.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 12, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They are also taking the piss a bit with the prices too.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Vintersorg posted:

The goalposts have moved then for this hobby. Only rich people can get the latest and greatest. Everyone else can just get old stuff and maybe hope for a sale down the road.

I found posts from years ago when the 1080 launched and people were shocked at the prices then - around $800 for the best of the best. Brand new.

Saying I just filtered "super cars" on a dealers website is bullshit. That stuff before was the Titan cards.

That is not the new norm. lmao

The new norm is still ~$400 or less.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not disagreeing that it's not a more expensive hobby, but it's probably fairer to compare the 4080 series or even under for the mainstream, hardcore gamer. The 4090 is closer to a titan.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Agreed posted:

In 2008 the GTX 280 launch price was $649, which is almost $900 today.

also bear in mind that a truly maxed out build of that era would have had two, possibly even three of those cards in SLI

you needed 2x280 to hit 60fps in crysis at 1080p

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Vintersorg posted:

Why is that normal? 4K isn't a new norm yet and affordable GPUs are still more than capable for any game on the market.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
people who can afford the 4090 are buying the 4090 because it's the new thing that's available

that doesn't really mean that this is the new norm for graphics cards

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And I don't think I am alone in thinking this. This is just some cherry picked comments.

"It looks like the new normal is going to be PC gaming turning into a high-end hobby where people are willing to Shell out thousands of dollars for the latest card."

"Amazing all i need to do is work for 2 months and give all that money for a graphics card."

"I’m surprised how many people here are going to buy it.

Edit: Gotta be honest, if I had the money to do high frame rate 4K+ gaming, I’d be buying it too. I should just stop paying rent. My 3080 does all my games at 4K 60 and I’m still happy with it."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

repiv posted:

also bear in mind that a truly maxed out build of that era would have had two, possibly even three of those cards in SLI

you needed 2x280 to hit 60fps in crysis at 1080p

I agree with your idea but hitting high FPS in Crysis is still really hard. That is a bad game to use as an example.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

slidebite posted:

Not disagreeing that it's not a more expensive hobby, but it's probably fairer to compare the 4080 series or even under for the mainstream, hardcore gamer. The 4090 is closer to a titan.

Mainstream, hardcore gamer are looking for 3060TI's. Just about anyone who buys a dedicated GPU is a mainstream, hardcore gamer so just look at which model or models sell the most units and that is whatever "the norm" is. Mainstream, hardcore gamers are only recently moving off the 16xx cards and they sure as hell aren't moving to 4090s or even 3080s.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

people who can afford the 4090 are buying the 4090 because it's the new thing that's available

that doesn't really mean that this is the new norm for graphics cards

Also this is a message board for tech oriented people in their 30s and 40s. Our spending habits are absolutely at the top of the chain.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'll just sit here with my original MSRP 3080 FE and maintain it like a 1995 Honda Civic Hatchback...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

High end PCs have been expensive to make or buy the whole time, though, I mean we're talking about the 4090 which is the supreme flagship of the lineup and I feel it is fair to compare its cost to what was the flagship configuration in years past. Like, two GeForce 8800 GTX at $599 each in late 2006, that'd be more than $1800 after tax today. And people definitely ran those in SLI, I remember my cousin joined the Navy and as part of the money he was making without day to day expenses he went all in on a build back then and it'd run any game you like at max settings for the era but it was mad expensive. Hell, I remember putting like $3500 into a PC in 2008 to build a powerful quad core setup with what was a lot of RAM for the time and a GTX 280 (after trying the dual GPU Radeon top end card of the era, which I hated). And that price tag was AFTER competition brought the GTX 280 itself down to a lower price.*

The best toys cost a lot and always have. There are usually nice performers at better prices, but right now all we see are the 4090 and 4080 from this generation and the 4070 obviously in that 12gb model I MEAN look at the performance gulf wtf nVidia so it's skewed toward the top.

*salient factor, right, AMD is competing with regard to general rendering performance but nVidia has the killer app of this era in RTX (and arguably DLSS, since given the performance of RTX it's kind of the thing that enables it to work in practice) and they are currently leveraging that advantage. If AMD can put up fiercer competition there I would expect to see more price pressure on nVidia.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 12, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

740eur for a 6900xt is a very good deal right? There's not some hidden catch here? https://www.caseking.de/asus-radeon-rx-6900-xt-tuf-o16g-16384-mb-gddr6-gcas-420.html

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

You won't even notice a difference between the 3080 & the 3090 unless if you get a 4K 144hz monitor.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1730937-REG/asus_tuf_rtx4090_24g_gaming_tuf_gmg_gefrc_rtx.html

Bhp has the 4090 TUF for preorder

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kibner posted:

That is not the new norm. lmao

The new norm is still ~$400 or less.

Yeah. As has been the case since, what, halfway through the Xbox 360/PS3 generation? Thanks to most games also having console editions with modest hardware targets, you can get perfectly acceptable quality settings and framerates with hardware well below the top dollar, cutting edge.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Lockback posted:

Why is that normal? 4K isn't a new norm yet and affordable GPUs are still more than capable for any game on the market.

i've still got a 1070 and while 4k maxed out cyberpunk sounds nice in principle i am yet to really feel any need to upgrade

people fretting out over needing to upgrade their 3090ti sound insane to me

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just bought a 3080 and the cost of my entire system is still less than one 4090. It's a halo product for enthusiasts, not for "normal" people. Everyone else will buy a 4070/4060 if they aren't over $500

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For some reason in the two games I'm most interested in, the 3060ti saw the biggest bump from the new driver

(Nvidia's image)

Valhalla was the one game where I was disappointed by my 3060ti's performance, so this is great. (Now add DLSS support, please)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the 40-series is obviously getting av1 support, but obs just shipped a beta that also comes with more granular nvenc settings for h264 to improve quality

https://twitter.com/ltroyalshrimp/status/1580245568118325248?s=46&t=3ajIjWpGUuR8OcZ8EuWDmw

some new life for “old” 2000+ cards, wonder how it compares to typical software encoding quality

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's undeniable in my mind that the market is slowly but surely inching towards catering only to the well off. Unfortunately Covid and inflation is hastening that process in a way that would have otherwise taken several more years.

This is true of all consumer items though; it's by no means confined to technology.

I don't think AMD will come save the day either. If they had something amazing to show they would have done so before allowing the 4090 to launch completely unopposed. Happy to eat my words on that though.

The whole thing feels very unsustainable.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Taima posted:

This is true of all consumer items though; it's by no means confined to technology.

The whole thing feels very unsustainable.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Vintersorg posted:

I think the problem is you're saying this about the card that is literally 45% better performance than the LAST $1600 card and not poking at the more confusing price uplift of the 3080 $800 card to the 4080 12gb $1200 card. Nvidia is trying to get your money don't get me wrong but you don't actually *need* any of that poo poo when a 6800xt will slam any game on 1440p or below for the foreseeable future and is like 30% less than any of these offerings.

The idea that for some reason you need a 40 series card the day it launches is the lie GPU marketing is tryna sell you lol. I defy you to name a game and a resolution a "normal gamer hobbyist" will actually play that requires this hardware.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
So it’s an order of magnitude less exciting than the RTX 4090, but I snagged an Intel-made Arc A750 from Micro Center this morning. It’s still got wrinkles, but this thing is a world away from the stability problems and jank I dealt with in ASRock’s A380 Challenger. No crashes, no hard locks - it’s been quietly running Einstein@Home for the last hour, after managing Doom Eternal, Soma, and a couple of other things before that. Only real what-why bug I noticed was that VkQuake doesn’t want to run with point sampled/“classic” textures, but that’s something I can probably work around after figuring out whatever the port renamed gl_texturemode to… but I’m happy with the purchase. Yaaay.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Taima posted:

It's undeniable in my mind that the market is slowly but surely inching towards catering only to the well off.

When did high end PC hardware cater to anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
So my idiot FOMO garbage brain prompted me to get whatever 4090 I could find available and I ended up with a card that’s 356 mm long. Unfortunately, my current PC case, a Corsair 680x, can only accommodate a GPU with a maximum length of 330 mm.

I don’t know if anyone else has this particular case or has run into a similar problem, but is it possible to free up some more space by removing one of the front fans? I’m not terribly concerned about the thermals because I’d still have two front fans, an AIO cooler mounted to the top of the case, an exhaust fan, and two bottom mounted fans. I would just hate to replace the case because I’ve only had it for about six months, and it’s a chonker in its own right. If this oversized GPU trend continues, I’m eventually just going to have to mount all of the components to the wall or build them their own dedicated shed.