Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Blink-182 reunited and will be doing a world tour over the next couple years + new music!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Oh, awesome. It's too much trouble for me to make a playlist that covers, like Velvet Underground and Stooges through Talking Heads, Pixies, The Smiths...

Oh... okay :corsair:

:ohno:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I was at a bar tonight and Fade Into You came on, and people in the bar began gushing about their love for Mazzy Star.

To be honest, the song is timeless, but I realized that I've never really tried to listen to anything else by her.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Nihonniboku posted:

I was at a bar tonight and Fade Into You came on, and people in the bar began gushing about their love for Mazzy Star.

To be honest, the song is timeless, but I realized that I've never really tried to listen to anything else by her.

It's a very... consistent vibe, so your mileage may vary based on how into the songwriting you are in general. I think people see Fade into You as a direct predecessor to the modern "chill" soundscape, which has elevated the band's (really, the song's) legacy a bit.

Hope Sandoval also released a few albums after Mazzy Starr - I remember one had a little college radio moment around 2000-20001.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

It’s good but listening back it seems very influenced by that mid-90s Doors nostalgia. So depending on how you feel about the Doors you might love it or pass

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

King Gizzard has yet another new album out today. I'm still not tired of their music but I am getting kinda tired of the "WOOOOOOOOOO"s in every song.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Another HUGE banger from the Ruen Brothers. A little more modern than the last one but so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP_Y4KHXPNo

This one is still my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELUtFCRCKQc

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Rageaholic posted:

King Gizzard has yet another new album out today. I'm still not tired of their music but I am getting kinda tired of the "WOOOOOOOOOO"s in every song.
King Gizzard musical meme tier list

S Tier:
"Woo!"
That Drum Roll. You know the one.
The sevens.

A Tier:
The Harmonica
The Flute
When the guitar and the vocals are in the same key.
"Hey they got a female voca- oh wait."

B Tier:
"Eyup!"

C Tier:
Leah Senior

D Tier:
The harp strum from Fishing with Fishies.

F Tier:
Lyrics about climate change. We get it. We're all going to die. Please sing about something else.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 12, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The only sorta king gizzard song I know is the DJ Shadow remix of "Black hot soup" (owns) and it has a breakdown section that is just "woo!"s lol

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

The Modern Leper posted:

It's a very... consistent vibe, so your mileage may vary based on how into the songwriting you are in general. I think people see Fade into You as a direct predecessor to the modern "chill" soundscape, which has elevated the band's (really, the song's) legacy a bit.

Hope Sandoval also released a few albums after Mazzy Starr - I remember one had a little college radio moment around 2000-20001.

I really like the track she did with the Jesus & Mary Chain. Her voice is lovely but Mazzy Starr is like the opposite of dynamic in my experience.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9wnpiiMUJs

Listening to these guy's first album and it's loving brilliant, if you're into shoegaze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fDB0VIv-fc

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 13, 2022

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Saw Slothrust tonight and really blown away by how good they are. Totally mesmerized by the guitarist playing the entire time.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Light 7 for Blue Rev, drat Fantano sucks so bad.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Because he moderately likes an album?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I enjoyed the new Skullcrusher for what it was. Reminded me a little bit of Aldous Harding, in a good way.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Going to see Broken Social Scene tonight. Listening to their stuff in preparation, and I'm just noticing that a lot of You Forgot It In The People has notes that sound just like the Outlook inbox. I keep on hearing notifications, looking at my work inbox, and seeing no new email.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is like the infamous Windows XP error notification in Porcupine Tree's The Sound of Muzak.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
every chance he gets, my friend likes to point out the mouse click in Fever Ray's "If I Had a Heart," the first track of a perfect album, and it never fails to enrage me

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's a Mars Volta song that has the GSM speaker buzz sound in it but I can't remember which song it is off the top of my head.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Rageaholic posted:

There's a Mars Volta song that has the GSM speaker buzz sound in it but I can't remember which song it is off the top of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvsHmMsoTp4

?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That might be it. I thought for sure it happened later in the song rather than at the beginning, but I could be wrong.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

DasNeonLicht posted:

every chance he gets, my friend likes to point out the mouse click in Fever Ray's "If I Had a Heart," the first track of a perfect album, and it never fails to enrage me

Speaking of, there was a new Fever Ray single last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VudTAeQeA9o

Goes closer to the first Fever Ray album than Plunge, to my ears.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Louis Cole's entire new hour-long album, sung in front of a mirror in one take with the lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SQ7Fi6SnO0

It's good!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
New Bill Callahan is good

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Do we like The 1975? I keep seeing reviews for the new album that are generally positive but all call them the ultimate Gen Z band.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

All I can say is they have the most dogshit vibes of any moderately popular indie band I've seen

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I like some of their songs, they're catchy.. but not a band I care about really or would ever want to see live.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Nihonniboku posted:

Going to see Broken Social Scene tonight. Listening to their stuff in preparation, and I'm just noticing that a lot of You Forgot It In The People has notes that sound just like the Outlook inbox. I keep on hearing notifications, looking at my work inbox, and seeing no new email.

hell yeah, enjoy :cheerdoge:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Nihonniboku posted:

Do we like The 1975? I keep seeing reviews for the new album that are generally positive but all call them the ultimate Gen Z band.

I'm sure I really liked one of their very early singles, but I probably have them mixed up with someone else. Also, they stepped in to replace Rage Against The Machine at Reading (no, Leeds will never count) after Zack blew out his knee this summer and I don't think that went down well at all

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

The 1975 have always seemed like a big millennial group to me. I'd say that Zoomercore is like, Arlo Parks and Clairo

I'm convinced that the current critical reappraisal of The 1975 all stems from the fact that Matty Healy is an interesting character in an age where there aren't very many of those in the rock space. Their new album is perfectly okay pop rock

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1581107053715939328?s=20&t=p7LRRYhfRs8V6bcoaUzGQA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Oh drat that tour's still going on? I guess from my standpoint of reading tweets or whatever, I kind of assumed Feist beat the final boss and the tour collapsed automatically afterward

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Nihonniboku posted:

Their album An Inquiry Into Online Relationships really was one of the best albums of the past decade - It's Not Living If It's Not With You is such a great song. Notes on a Conditional Form had some really good songs, it's just way too long. Like, a 5 minute spoken word track on climate change is the kind of poo poo they should just drop.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Broken Social Scene was great tonight, but it was an early show which a lot of people didn't realize so it seemed dead when they went on at 7:30 but by the time they were done at 9:00 it was packed. They decided to go jam band with a few songs, so they actually did several fewer songs than they have been doing on the tour, but they were saying that this is one of their last shows of the tour, so I'm not surprised they were just loving around.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Really digging the Plains (Katie Crutchfield of Waxahatchee + Jess Williamson) album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WbS5ntkkF8&t=2s

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

I'd love to see Broken Social Scene just play Feel Good Lost front to back in a chill setting. I once saw them touring Forgiveness Rock Record and they played in a tiny church. it was pretty solid.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52eU_sTqBg

Uh... did RHCP just drop a Genesis record?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Nightmare Cinema posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52eU_sTqBg

Uh... did RHCP just drop a Genesis record?

I've only listened to it once, but I thought there were some cool experiments on there which were crowded out by long stretches of total blandness. The verses and choruses seem to be stitched together at complete random so when I liked a verse, it was followed by a chorus I hated. That's always been an RHCP issue for me but this year it seems to have gotten worse.

I'd never listened to the Klinghoffer era albums before because I was a John head in my teens and when he moved on so did I but him coming back has sent me into a total rhcp revisit lately. At least for now I think these Josh albums are better than the two new John ones.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 16, 2022

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j84GGD0ZfrI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Nihonniboku posted:

Love them very much. New album is catchy, concise and excellent imo. For a band that has been known to suffer from bloated track lists, it's a nice change of pace. No duds on it at all.