Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

That DICK! posted:

otto's kind of gotten the short end of the character motivation stick i think. they just make him do whatever moves the scene forward

his motivation is pretty clear I think, he just wants to get his blood on the throne. That doesn't mean he has to -like- his grandchildren or think they are anything but idiots

and if his blood is a complete fking idiot well, that's why he's hand of the king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Farg posted:

it was super-dee-duper obvious that she was being nice to dyana and spared her and gave her a big comedy sack of gold with a big dollar sign on it to hush up and go away. C'mon now

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
there will be a flashback scene next episode where she drives her to the airport and buys her a one way ticket to Hawaii and gives her a tropical drink as she boards the plane and dyana will look into the camera and say "thank you for sparing my life, as despite the gulf in our social standings you recognize that as women we are both constrained and harmed by the social norms of our society" and then people will go "what if the plane was sabotaged so it would crash over the pacific"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The teddy bear on the plane ignites for no visible reason. It was dragon fire. :doink:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Rappaport posted:

The teddy bear on the plane ignites for no visible reason. It was dragon fire. :doink:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I don’t know...it still seems like a liability to have some peasant show up in Braavos with a huge sack of gold, telling stories about King’s Landing...

I really read that scene as Alicent has become the rutheless Machiavellian her father wanted her to be and love that it can be interpreted both ways and will be kind of sad if they take this moment out of Schrödinger’s box.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's at odds with the rest of the episode where she is genuinely outraged at Aegon for doing it and then making amends with Rhaenyra at Viserys's last supper. The whole episode is a Alicent redemption arc and it doesn't make any sense if she starts it by unnecessarily murdering a serving girl

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I read that as outrage at Aegon forcing her to murder innocent rape victims with zero thought (or even knowledge) about the consequences of his own actions. I just don't get her reaction to "where is Dyana" if Dyana is living it up in Cabo Wabo. Why disown her son, to his face in front of his wife-sister, if all she had to do was throw some cash at a wench and give her some tea?

That seems more like a reaction akin to "Dyana is living very peacefully at a farm in upstate New York..."

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I checked the Dyana actress' insta and she's still alive

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Yeah but what color was the bag of gold, cuz if it was green, she's definitely dead.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I think people are still carrying baggage from GoT and seeing the tropes from that show in this one. Alicent is not Cersei. As of the 8 episodes we've seen right now there is no indication that Alicent is a murderer. On the contrary, she seems to be actively avoiding murdering people at every turn. She was hanging out with Larys all the time until he pulled his, "I did murder for you." at which point we've been shown on screen that she won't even meet his gaze, nor is she hanging out with him after that.

I actually kind of feel like Alicent right now where there is something very obvious being shown to me and yet many people seem to be blind to it. Alicent is a woman that was forced to marry and lay with a diseased old dude who she dutifully cared for and stayed loyal to. She understands what happened to that serving girl. She feels empathy. She tells her to not talk about it, pays her off and then goes to kick the poo poo out of her son. She hugs her daughter because it's a mixture of emotion between having to explain that Aegon raped (again?), and the empathy she feels for her daughter, another young woman trapped in this system.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Rhaenyra has a larger body count than Alicent since she and Daemon actually killed that random guard to fake her husband's death.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 12, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

So is now a good time to revisit the fact that the director of the episode said the tea was for abortion and that she was still alive, or are the dumbest tv watchers in history still insisting she was forced to say that by the Jewish cabal running Hollywood

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m on Team Plan B but death of the author and everything, you know.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

If you want to believe Alicent is a werewolf because we’ve never seen her and a full moon in the same shot that’s fine, but don’t march into the thread and try to own people who suggest the evidence may not support this ala

Farg posted:

there will be a flashback scene next episode where she drives her to the airport and buys her a one way ticket to Hawaii and gives her a tropical drink as she boards the plane and dyana will look into the camera and say "thank you for sparing my life, as despite the gulf in our social standings you recognize that as women we are both constrained and harmed by the social norms of our society" and then people will go "what if the plane was sabotaged so it would crash over the pacific"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That DICK! posted:

So is now a good time to revisit the fact that the director of the episode said the tea was for abortion and that she was still alive, or are the dumbest tv watchers in history still insisting she was forced to say that by the Jewish cabal running Hollywood

I don’t know, someone might get angry at you for pointing out this logic. They could post that lots of the fans of this show are unhinged dingbats that use Protocols of the Elders of Zion like it’s Robert’s Rules of Order and storm off in a huff.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I think people are still carrying baggage from GoT and seeing the tropes from that show in this one. Alicent is not Cersei. As of the 8 episodes we've seen right now there is no indication that Alicent is a murderer. On the contrary, she seems to be actively avoiding murdering people at every turn. She was hanging out with Larys all the time until he pulled his, "I did murder for you." at which point we've been shown on screen that she won't even meet his gaze, nor is she hanging out with him after that.

I actually kind of feel like Alicent right now where there is something very obvious being shown to me and yet many people seem to be blind to it. Alicent is a woman that was forced to marry and lay with a diseased old dude who she dutifully cared for and stayed loyal to. She understands what happened to that serving girl. She feels empathy. She tells her to not talk about it, pays her off and then goes to kick the poo poo out of her son. She hugs her daughter because it's a mixture of emotion between having to explain that Aegon raped (again?), and the empathy she feels for her daughter, another young woman trapped in this system.

I totally agree with this. During the scene I was waiting for the Alicent to hand the girl off to a crony or someone to be 'taken care of' and was a bit relieved when she didn't. It was certainly a menacing, tense situation especially considering the setting, but I don't think at this point Alicent is a killer, she's just trying to hold her poo poo together. I know as goons we see someone who is religious and we are all 'A HA! ROTTEN HYPOCRITE!', but I think she's really leaning into her faith is another indicator of her attempting to do the right thing considering her circumstances.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

That DICK! posted:

Eat poo poo. :gb2gbs:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Also, Alicent being religious is not exactly something that's super out of nowhere. The second episode of the show has young Alicent taking Rhaenyra to a sept to pray, and even talks about how coming there helps her feel closer to her dead mother. In fact, it's this very belief that Rhaenyra uses against Alicent later when she swears by her mother that Daemon never touched her, which Alicent believes because she shared that moment with Rhaenyra (and why Alicent feels so betrayed when she discovers Rhaenyra lied to her). Alicent is under immense pressure from episode 1. They literally focus in on her tearing at her own hands in the first episode. The lady is basically suppressing her own discomfort at every moment and forcing that energy into lots of different pursuits.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Rhaenyra has a larger body count than Alicent since she and Daemon actually killed that random guard to fake her husband's death.

Rhaenyra slaughtered that hog, and brought it into camp like a real hunter. She has tasted blood, and she liked it

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjmmpZpNquJ/

I didn't make the connection about Viserys accepting his suffering as penance for what he put Aemma through at the end. Paddy really was an inspired casting decision.

holy poo poo give paddy all the awards

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you watch my video analysis of the appearence pattern of the palace rat, you will see Dyana is definitely dead.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

It seems to me that Walt’s life would be totally bad rear end like Scarface if it weren’t for that nagging bitch Skylar.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Farg posted:

Rappaport posted:

lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Why disown her son, to his face in front of his wife-sister, if all she had to do was throw some cash at a wench and give her some tea?
Because she doesn't like rape?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

lol were in tviv dude

sad question
May 30, 2020

Guys, what if it was just a normal tea?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m pretty sure the Jewish cabal thing was making fun of the people saying the reporter pressured the actress into her reading of the scene an not actually racism.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

I’m pretty sure the Jewish cabal thing was making fun of the people saying the reporter pressured the actress into her reading of the scene an not actually racism.

It was, however, a mistake to assume the people posting in this thread could correctly discern the meaning and context of the joke without tripping over their dick

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

At this point, we have multiple official sources saying that Dyana way paid off and is still out there (hell, the official podcast's weekly body count is listed as '2' -Viserys and Vaemond), whether that has impact on the story it remains to be seen and in this thread people saying 'Yeah, no. They must mean something else..."

I get death of the author and all that, everyone is free to interpret what they will in art or whatever and the scene was spooky, I think everyone was scared for the girl. That being said, it is interesting this, uh, discussion is still going on despite pretty conclusive evidence that Alicent did not kill or have the girl killed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TheBizzness posted:

Do you expect the people who think that there's secret coded meanings behind interview transcripts to also be able to actually read.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Also, Alicent being religious is not exactly something that's super out of nowhere. The second episode of the show has young Alicent taking Rhaenyra to a sept to pray, and even talks about how coming there helps her feel closer to her dead mother. In fact, it's this very belief that Rhaenyra uses against Alicent later when she swears by her mother that Daemon never touched her, which Alicent believes because she shared that moment with Rhaenyra (and why Alicent feels so betrayed when she discovers Rhaenyra lied to her). Alicent is under immense pressure from episode 1. They literally focus in on her tearing at her own hands in the first episode. The lady is basically suppressing her own discomfort at every moment and forcing that energy into lots of different pursuits.
On that note, it took me a minute to get why Alicent was so pissed, since Rhaenyra swore that Daemon had never touched her. Which also wasn't true, but Alicent loses her poo poo when she finds out that Cole and Rhaenyra hosed. Then I realized that Alicent probably wouldn't care either way about who Rhaenyra hosed and even though as far as Alicent knows Rhaenyra technically didn't lie, it's not like it makes the betrayal any less.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 12, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ubersandwich posted:

At this point, we have multiple official sources saying that Dyana way paid off and is still out there (hell, the official podcast's weekly body count is listed as '2' -Viserys and Vaemond), whether that has impact on the story it remains to be seen and in this thread people saying 'Yeah, no. They must mean something else..."

I get death of the author and all that, everyone is free to interpret what they will in art or whatever and the scene was spooky, I think everyone was scared for the girl. That being said, it is interesting this, uh, discussion is still going on despite pretty conclusive evidence that Alicent did not kill or have the girl killed.

Some people only like stories that have twists in them

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Would this all have been avoided if Rhyaenra told Allicent the truth about Cole? I feel like it would have.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Guys, can "director" really count as author? Didn't D&D hired some director who shot the scenes wrong because he didn't read the book and gave it away in the post episode interview?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Some people only like stories that have twists in them

The twist was that she didn't kill Dyana. That whole scene was thick with tension, I expected her to be knifed/strangled at any second. It was surprising when Alicent instead tried to "make things right" as best she was able, given the circumstances.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I just finished episode 6. Does this show have any fan-favorite characters at all? It feels sorely lacking in the Tyrion/Arya department.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Avasculous posted:

I just finished episode 6. Does this show have any fan-favorite characters at all? It feels sorely lacking in the Tyrion/Arya department.

daemons wife seemed cool as gently caress

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Avasculous posted:

Viserys is a treasure the whole way through. Also expecting big things from Aemond in the future

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I'm reminded of that scene in episode 5 where Viserys bemoans to Lyonel that he's never been tested as a man during his reign and he wonders whether he would have weathered the test to become a better man or if he would crumble and be found wanting. Now re-watch that scene of him walking to the throne this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Avasculous posted:

There are at least 15 pages just talking about how much we love Paddy Considine and the well-balanced and nuanced portrayal of how you can be a great man but a bad king.

Also, I'm a fan and I'm a fan of Daemon "lol gently caress this I have a magic sword and no more fucks to give lmao" Targaryen.

In regards to minor characters punching above their weight class, there's my main man : Lord Beesbury. gently caress yeah, talk about math some more you senile little busy body.