Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Maximo Roboto posted:

Is that any different from CK 2? I do like how in that one you can get stochastic random building caused by adventurers from your house going and invading random places, if you're say Norse pagan.

i really like getting alexanders bloodline in ck2, being able to invade empire level titles made map painting so much easier. and for some reason that is how i like to play my paradox games even crusader kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Maximo Roboto posted:

Is that any different from CK 2? I do like how in that one you can get stochastic random building caused by adventurers from your house going and invading random places, if you're say Norse pagan.

You can do this but with your accursed inbred seed. Its best feature is that characters inherit their parents chargen sliders. You can make a hosed up gremlin looking sex god and see your Hapsburg freak offspring ripple through the upper crust.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FF can you expense-out graphics cards:

just say it's for AI deep learning or something

___

Thread content: Ozymandias was released yesterday

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1768280/Ozymandias_Bronze_Age_Empire_Sim/

I've been playing it all afternoon and it's a really effective distillation of 4x/Civ concepts combined with Paradox-style "paint the map" aesthetics. Strong recommend.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been playing it all afternoon and it's a really effective distillation of 4x/Civ concepts combined with Paradox-style "paint the map" aesthetics. Strong recommend.

That armies and fleet thing sounds like what Paradox is doing for Vicky 3 but adapted for 4x turn based format.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish, but I’m not computer savvy enough to know what to ask for.

Somebody must be signing for the PCs they run flight and ship simulators on though, I wonder how that all works.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

gradenko_2000 posted:

FF can you expense-out graphics cards:

just say it's for AI deep learning or something

___

Can I talk poo poo to Ea-Nasir in this game?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I was wondering if that game is good but the 4x thread in games appears to be dead.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

I was wondering if that game is good but the 4x thread in games appears to be dead.

The demo has enough features to give you an idea. It's pretty interesting. The 4x elements are simple, but when combined with the military system it becomes a dense, strategy-focused game. Another wargame 4x for sure, but it avoids the bloat of bigger titles.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Apparently in CK3 if you declare an independence war on your liege, and then that liege loses a war for his kingdom while you're fighting, your liege will switch to the victor.

But the independence war will continue, and winning that war against the weakened loser (who has just become a vassal of the new liege equal in status to you) will make you 100% independent as if the intervening conquest never happened.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Just pretend the polity collapsed from the strains of fighting a war.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Apparently in CK3 if you declare an independence war on your liege, and then that liege loses a war for his kingdom while you're fighting, your liege will switch to the victor.

But the independence war will continue, and winning that war against the weakened loser (who has just become a vassal of the new liege equal in status to you) will make you 100% independent as if the intervening conquest never happened.

this sounds like something that probably happened multiple times in real life history somehow

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i feel like the new monarch who had you as a vassal two months ago would have something to say about that

i mean it seems like your liege losing a war of conquest should automatically end your war of independence inconclusively

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Oct 14, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I feel like it used to work like that in CK2 but it led to annoying outcomes where everyone shook hands and went home because someone important died or something unrelated happened.

They should use something like Total War: 3 Kingdoms where when a dude you're fighting becomes a vassal of someone else they show up and ask if you want to keep fighting or if you just want a quick peace.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SEVEN DAYS TO THE RHINE

LETS loving GOOOOOOOOOO

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

SEVEN DAYS TO THE RHINE

LETS loving GOOOOOOOOOO

Can't loving wait

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

They're also bragging about how units will be accurate down to the platoon level whereas Steel Division 2 was only down to the Company level.

I imagjne the 4 Army General campaigns will the the US, Seven Day to the Rhine, a Brit and a German one

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So how are you liking DC: Ardennes, Frosted Flake?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1581614862719160320?s=20&t=zTco78S-fxd8qcucaMchkg

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

So how are you liking DC: Ardennes, Frosted Flake?

I think it’s great. I mean, it’s a little weird that it focuses on peripheral actions to the south and not XXX Corps winning the Battle of the Bulge, but I assume that was an error by the developers they’ll get around to fixing. Maybe they didn’t read Monty’s memoirs closely enough?

WARNO with Army General, sign me up - once 4 CMBG is in game.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/snep_defence/status/1581644608898879489

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

only seven more days until victoria 3 :monocle:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

let me tell you about how impeccably authentic the modeling of this completely hypothetical concept is

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

let me tell you about how impeccably authentic the modeling of this completely hypothetical concept is

We live in a stupid society.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/smoreofbabylon/status/1582713304128290818?t=aPgrMXDd-N-uT-cF3rg48w&s=19

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Bellingcat Org: -2 money, 0 stars
(That's it. Eats a little money)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

What settings were y'all playing Regiments on? I remember reading either here or in the Games thread that it was difficult but I'm rolling through all the operations with phases to spare, often winning the whole operation and/or stage in 1 phase.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Danann posted:

game of the year/worst game of the century lock it in

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

What settings were y'all playing Regiments on? I remember reading either here or in the Games thread that it was difficult but I'm rolling through all the operations with phases to spare, often winning the whole operation and/or stage in 1 phase.

I've heard the toughest/2nd toughest are pretty challenging, but I'm a baby who plays on normal.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

game of the year/worst game of the century lock it in

I'll wait until 3 years from now so I can get it on sale and the mechanics will be radically different but for the better (looking at you Stellaris).

Edit: Stellaris had the whole "let's just reduce micro by simplifying management" with sectors (Victoria with war), and surprisingly, the AI is dumb as hell and sectors are now a vestigial part that awkwardly are created so you can put more governors on your planets.

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Oct 19, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

From what I understand Johan was kept away from this, so the mechanics will be good. Plus Wiz was a goon, so bully him into fixing it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

From what I understand Johan was kept away from this, so the mechanics will be good. Plus Wiz was a goon, so bully him into fixing it.

We'll see. I bought their Roman period game (it was so good I can't even remember it's name!) with a bunch of buddies and welp! I do hope it works out though!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Danann posted:

im so mad about the release date because i have to actually go to the office all next week instead of working from home, so i wont even be able to pretend to work while playing victoria 3 for 40 hours until the following week :mad:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BadOptics posted:

We'll see. I bought their Roman period game (it was so good I can't even remember it's name!) with a bunch of buddies and welp! I do hope it works out though!

that was johann

wiz went crazy due to a EU3 LP and basically created de groundwork for everything that made EU4 fun.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You would a game that's just the Rome Total War strategic layer would be dead loving simple to make, and make good, and yet...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BadOptics posted:

It had the potential to be great, it breaks my heart. They had to pull the team to salvage the other cockups.

Also, Wiz had to fix Johan’s work and almost redo the game. It was coming along and I think shows an understanding of pops and economy that could be good signs for Vicky.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I hope that Vicky 3 knocks it out of the park and then managing pops, and therefore social class management, becomes a signature feature of theirs and ends up in all their GS games

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

That Roman game was lie 80% of the way there. Sad

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BrotherJayne posted:

That Roman game was lie 80% of the way there. Sad

I had thought the plan was to circle back to it, but then they had to put out fires in EU IV too, so I guess not.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Wiz didnt work on the newer rome, at the time he was on the Stellaris reworks. It was Johans team that was fixing up Rome but obviously they didn't get all the way there, (because Leviathan was such a disaster I think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rome would've been fine if they had just accepted EU4 was in a good place and didn't need to be shoved with increasing amounts of broken DLC