Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

had my duet partner over this weekend and recorded some Bach. at this tempo the piece feels like driving a really fast car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3QW4Tny5Zg

it takes so much mental concentration for me to play stuff like this, i was completely spent after like an hour
This is incredible, thanks for posting it! Just that you have a duet partner to work on stuff with is freaking awesome imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

oh no, absolutely not - we've been working on it for almost a year, off and on, together and separate. took a long time to get it up to that speed

It does sound great, and I totally get what you mean about the mental challenge. Duets are so much more stressful because you can't just rubato/sludge your way through the B section's hard part (or whatever).

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
cheers, thanks! unfortunately i left philadelphia, so we don't get to practice as much as we used to. even still, always a great time to play with other people.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

a.p. dent posted:

oh no, absolutely not - we've been working on it for almost a year, off and on, together and separate. took a long time to get it up to that speed

Its always good to get reminders that this stuff isn't easy and requires lots of practice. I've been working on one particular song for several months now and have been feeling pretty discouraged that I'm still only like 90% there. Good job on putting in the work and getting it up to speed!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

The Sm57 or 58 or another inexpensive xlr dynamic mic through an audio interface like a Scarlett 2i2, or just plug directly into the interface and use an amp Sims in your daw.

Thank you everyone who gave advice on this! There is still a ton of stuff I am super ignorant of when it comes to guitars and equipment.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Amazon has a bunch of the Firefly guitars at cheaper than direct prices, including the red Jazzmaster knockoff for $139.91, free shipping

https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A2Z9CLUJLY9JCX&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am tempted by the pink SG for $159.91, but I really dislike the wonky shape they used to not get sued.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Agreed posted:

What was wrong with mine is it was a 6-point MIM trem and no matter how much time you spend trying to get the screws perfectly even and balance the tension with the claw, it just wouldn't friggin' work, ALWAYS come back slightly different after usage. That's after installing locking tuners, changing the nut for a very well-cut one set up for the string gauge in use, replacing the bridge saddles, and every drat else thing I could think to do. So I finally blocked it after more than 15 years of putting up with its poo poo. Still love that guitar :)

I've had three different trem bridge equipped guitars that I had no problem getting to stay in tune. One was a Kahler on an '80s Jackson, one was a Fender System 2 on a MIJ strat, and most recently (and one I still have and use regularly) is this Charvel with a Floyd Rose in it. All of those worked great, no issues, great tuning stability - the Floyd Rose is my favorite among them, just Works and stays in tune forever.

Represent

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I listed my Gibson locally for AU$3500 which is a fair price, and pretty normal for the model in that condition.

First response was "how about $1800 cash?" No bro, how about $3500 cash? At least go for $3000, $1800 is insultingly low, and clearly you think I'm either an addict, it's stolen, or I'm generally desperate.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I played on my tutor's PRS last night as now that got me all interested in owning one of my own. Just felt like the right thickness, and it combined comfort contouring with a maple top which I've not seen elsewhere, and for whatever reason I could do harmonics on it much easer than my own guitars. Felt kind of like my SG but with the strap button in the right place.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
playing the guitar https://soundcloud.com/user-656458997/e-jam

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Squire CV 50’s Tele for two and a half bills.
https://www.proaudiostar.com/used-squier-classic-vibe-50s-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde-w-maple-fingerboard.html

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Smooookethroooooooone

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
One of these days I need to get around to buying a bunch of Behringer SF300s and rehousing them in a metal enclosure and charging like $200 for them.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My phone fed me this last night:

Ed Bickert played the same '65 telecaster his entire career, and the shop that serviced it his whole career (including at least 4 refrets and a new bridge) had it up on consignment and it just sold.

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/ed-bickerts-blonde-fender-telecaster-1965/

And man, that one is the Real poo poo™. Saddle adjustment hex taped to the pickguard, spare pick taped to the back. Homemade label-maker of his name on the ashtray so nobody walked off with it because he used it as an actual ashtray.

The video says Bickert only ever played it his whole career, changing the neck pickup twice. Guy estimates 50 hours a week between gigs and studio work, from buying it new in 65 and retiring when his wife passed in 2000. 75-100k hours on the one instrument.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I saw Dinosaur Jr last night and I counted at least 5 guitar switches. J Mascis understands that guitars aren't used up after playing a song, right?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Let me tell you about jazzmaster trems and what they do to tuning...

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

J Mascis understands that guitars aren't used up after playing a song, right?

Maybe for the average player

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, that.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Baron von Eevl posted:

One of these days I need to get around to buying a bunch of Behringer SF300s and rehousing them in a metal enclosure and charging like $200 for them.

The bypass is a pain in the dick to rehouse or there'd already be a market for it. Lad I work with managed it but said it wasn't worth the time and effort that went in versus just building your own clone on PCB.

Disco Pope posted:

I saw Dinosaur Jr last night and I counted at least 5 guitar switches. J Mascis understands that guitars aren't used up after playing a song, right?

We've invited them to swing by the warehouse to play some amps while they're in the UK, but I'm away so not heard whether they're up for it yet. Fingers crossed!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I would vote for any politician that made mastery bridges mandatory on all jms and jags

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

The bypass is a pain in the dick to rehouse or there'd already be a market for it. Lad I work with managed it but said it wasn't worth the time and effort that went in versus just building your own clone on PCB.

I found someone selling FZ-2 clones on Reverb a while back. https://guptech.ca/products/boss-fz-2-fuzz-clone

I got one and it sounds pretty close to what I expected, although I've never heard an original Super Fuzz or the Boss FZ-2. When I looked inside I think it was just using a PedalPCB circuit board. Don't know if he's updated to a new layout since. I have the germanium fuzz face clone from the same place that does seem to have a custom PCB.

Having said all that, I'm at very low risk to ever join a Doom Metal band, so I don't know what my plan was for an FZ-2 in the first place. Not sure what the resale market is going to be like for hand-painted, Canadian clone pedals.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

I played on my tutor's PRS last night as now that got me all interested in owning one of my own. Just felt like the right thickness, and it combined comfort contouring with a maple top which I've not seen elsewhere, and for whatever reason I could do harmonics on it much easer than my own guitars. Felt kind of like my SG but with the strap button in the right place.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US
ONE OF US

...which model was it? I love my Custom 22 but as much as I'd like another one I just can't justify the cost these days.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

god help me but i want a les paul.

i gotta get something heavier. my life sucks too much for it to be accurately reflected by this fat strat

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

i gotta get something heavier. my life sucks too much for it to be accurately reflected by this fat strat

Do it. Give into the GAS

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

landgrabber posted:

fat strats are great! just get a hss or hh pickguard

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
les pauls are cool 😎

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

The Fear posted:

les pauls are cool 😎

+1

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

Come and play the Epiphone and the FireFly. It might cure you of that GAS. Maybe.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Maybe it's just because I'm in a good mood today (saw Dino Jr a couple of nights back, SG arrives today) but I put forth the motion that all guitars are cool.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Reality.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

landgrabber posted:

Doooo it. They rule.
Get a Goldtop.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

These guitars are cool because they make as laugh.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Considering getting a Squier CV Jag and eventually a soldering iron and modding it to convert the strangle switch to a phase switch. Currently playing a HH strat with a floyd tremolo so I definitely need another guitar so I can mess with alternate tunings and single coils.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Don’t buy a Les Paul.

Buy a single cut ESP LTD instead. Basically the same look, better prices, not locked into bad design choices forever by nostalgic boomers, better QC.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I’m still new to this guitar thing but I think single cut LP is my favorite solid body shape.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nothing does it for me like a telecaster.
Timeless, simple. Two knobs and that's one too many. Everything else is just so much filler.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If we’re listing preferred guitars it’s jazzmaster or strat for me. I use the trem a lot, prefer a classic body shape with no gaudy bindings or inlays or whatever. The twang is present enough to force ne away from just playing metal riffs. Telecasters I want to like but no trem and a bit too much midrange.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Arcsech posted:

Don’t buy a Les Paul.

Buy a single cut ESP LTD instead. Basically the same look, better prices, not locked into bad design choices forever by nostalgic boomers, better QC.

I've not played an ESP although I've recently been taking a look as I'm interested in something outside the Gibson/Fender stables (or Harley Bentons and anonymous south Asian stuff) but I can say something similar for Gretsch, especially if you're down with the pickup selection, but I think a Broad'tron equipped Jet is going to make good accounting for itself against LPs in a similar price bracket, and then you have options around P90s and blacktop Fiilter'trons. Plus Bigsbys.

I'm trying to play a bunch of guitars now, my main ones are the Gretsch mentioned above (Electromatic Jet, forget the number but I've switched in cheap Chinese Filtertrons for the blacktops, Bigsby-equipped) and a Classic Vibes 70's Jaguar (I think I've discussed both in the thread) and I'm also going back to my Epiphone G400(SG), my second guitar after my Strat-clone started and which I'll shortly be updating the pickups for with coil-tapping..

I've really got into exploring the Filtertron sound and it may be I look to customize something with a set, maybe make something unique. But I also like the Jag's sound so plenty to think about, I should probably try a humbucker-equipped Jag sometime to compare tone. I really like the Jaguar controls and circuits, if I feel ambitious I might pick up a cheap HHH SG clone sometime and try to rewire it for a Jaguar/Bass VI style pickup selector, since there's nothing under the pickguard as is. Maybe even three-position switches for HB/S/off selection.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 13, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I don't have a Gretsch guitar but my bass is from them and it's great for the price.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also kinda craving a marshall again but lol that poo poo's not happening

LP isn't happening either but god do i want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
there must be something in the water, everyone wants a les paul now