Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

This seems to be the new Orisa meta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyHFY534ExQ

(not mine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had been standing in front of ranged DPS but I wasn't sure if maybe I was just getting in their way, glad to hear it's legit, I'll get back to doing it.

What's the recommended order of operation for Brig in an actual fight? Charge melee whip? But no, you say swing bash whip, because of the knock back?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

give Sigma a Spherical Cow charm

Unironically this.

Wankie posted:

I think part of problem is your sole win condition is does your tank know how to play the position or not? If your tank is worse you autolose if they are better you autowin. The Developers said they wanted to make each player more responsible for wins or loses but they didn't, they made the tank the only position that matters. Game play wise I think 5v5 was a colossal mistake if tanks are going to be so crazy overpowered compared to all the other roles.

If your Tank is bad and you’re DPS, you have to take out backline. Even if your Tank is good, you probably still should be focused on backline. You could be a character that needs to flank, or you can be a ranged character like Ashe that can shoot from the back of the team.

If your Tank is bad and you’re Support, you need to switch to Ana/Zen/Kiriko/Lucio and harass backline either from behind your team or from an angle, just like DPS.

Basically, you need to draw aggro off your Tank or draw support off the enemy Tank. You need to make the enemy team crumble before they run over your Tank.

If you’re bad at winning those fights in time for it to make a difference in the team fight, then you need to direct a teammate or two to help you or just accept that this game won’t be winnable but you’re getting practice at making this type of game winnable.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, you want the danger to be away from you as fast as possible if there is a chance you might not kill them, so you ideally want to open up with just a normal hit. It also gives you slightly more time to decide if you want to commit or get the gently caress out. If you bash in, you absolutely have to stay there, you're not getting out.

I think if you bash whip you also double the knockback a little? I seem to be punting people real far, but i haven't actually tested. I've moved so my current pc setup is "on top of a set of drawers" and my chair is a fold out thing :(

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is every fight where I'm hitting the enemy over and over and I'm watching their health bar with increasing worry. I always initiate with a charge and thwn have no escape. I'll practice it this was in the future, nice.

As Brig, my melee feels like this scout:

https://youtu.be/DfizLF4-Pdo

She's very good at staying alive though, and like a tank she has an odd ability to control space.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

dogstile posted:

I mean junker queens problem is that she's basically budget hog and hog already isn't that good.

That doesn't make her not fun to play though. For me anyways. I love her kit, fuckin throwin' a big rear end knife and swinging a big rear end axe and a cool shotgun design with a neat reload animation. All that + JQ's sound design makes playing her so much fun for me lmao. Her weapon SFX are all so good, and her yelling and screaming is badass. I can like feel her fury and poo poo, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 12, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JQ probably isn't helped too much by her ult basically forcing her to overextend when she doesn't have any easy means of retreat beyond her speed boost, as well as 99% of its effects being nullified by kiriko with suzu

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

JQ probably isn't helped too much by her ult basically forcing her to overextend when she doesn't have any easy means of retreat beyond her speed boost, as well as 99% of its effects being nullified by kiriko with suzu

I'm still laughing at their ridiculous loving claim that they're making sure that the game doesn't have hard counter anymore, all while their latest hero is the hardest counter to a bunch of poo poo.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man, I miss the days where Brig had the ol' flail jump movement tech.

Keep all the other OP poo poo like non-decaying armor and overhealing off her forever, but give me back that rocket flail.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

with single tank comps in the game, it really feels like biotic grenade and JQ's ult should be more like 50% instead of 100% healcut, as roadhog gets absolutely hosed by an ana with a brain nowadays and he can't rely on someone else frontlining while he's trying to run behind cover to wait biotic out. those are really the most impactful debuffs kiriko can remove, so you could implement that, remove the debuff cleanse, and give it some other secondary effect like temporarily removing slows/immobs or making targets immune to forced movement or whatever

i feel like "temp AoE invuln" is already strong enough as a mechanic that suzu doesn't also need to make JQ and ana feel like they're missing parts of their kits whenever kiriko's on the other team

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anti-heals should def not be full anti-heals, but there should also be more "mortal strike" debuffs in the game that lower healing effects to some extent. I'd really like it if they made Sym's primary fire slowly stack up a healing debuff at a rate of 1% a tick or something. Same with Mei's primary.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

dogstile posted:

I mean junker queens problem is that she's basically budget hog and hog already isn't that good.

I'll play JQ & Hog both and you can't stop me. They both super fun. Also Roadhog is cute and my very huggable friend.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
uhhh...is comp broken?

it's just lopsided game after lopsided game.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Vermain posted:

with single tank comps in the game, it really feels like biotic grenade and JQ's ult should be more like 50% instead of 100% healcut, as roadhog gets absolutely hosed by an ana with a brain nowadays and he can't rely on someone else frontlining while he's trying to run behind cover to wait biotic out. those are really the most impactful debuffs kiriko can remove, so you could implement that, remove the debuff cleanse, and give it some other secondary effect like temporarily removing slows/immobs or making targets immune to forced movement or whatever

i feel like "temp AoE invuln" is already strong enough as a mechanic that suzu doesn't also need to make JQ and ana feel like they're missing parts of their kits whenever kiriko's on the other team

Suzu should def be either cleanse or immunity, but I think a temp immunity is way easier to balance than a thing that removes every debuff.

The soft counter to most debuffs in the game should just be healing more or repositioning

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Chinatown posted:

uhhh...is comp broken?

it's just lopsided game after lopsided game.

We're barely into week 2 of the game and they reset everyone's MMR, so yeah, it's gonna be weird for a bit.

There were OW1 grandmasters getting placed Bronze 5 last week. poo poo's a tad off the rails.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jack Trades posted:

I'm still laughing at their ridiculous loving claim that they're making sure that the game doesn't have hard counter anymore, all while their latest hero is the hardest counter to a bunch of poo poo.

You keep using that phrase and it does not mean what you think it does.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

We're barely into week 2 of the game and they reset everyone's MMR, so yeah, it's gonna be weird for a bit.

There were OW1 grandmasters getting placed Bronze 5 last week. poo poo's a tad off the rails.

Which GMs? Any notable ones? The one's I watch (Seagull, Emongg, KarQ, Jay3) all got placed at diamond or above, and some diamond placements were in their non-main queues.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Plat on a Bronze game is indistinguishable from magic GM.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'll play JQ & Hog both and you can't stop me. They both super fun. Also Roadhog is cute and my very huggable friend.

This is the biggest thing for me. Play what you enjoy. If you're not winning, then whatever lol. It's still very possible for me to lose matches with D.Va and have fun (even if I lose to getting backcapped lmao), AND I have a sub 50% winrate with JQ, but idgaf, she's so awesome :allears: My current tank queue run is probably the most I've ever enjoyed comp in OW tbh.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've seen some of the FPS/BR regs like Summit that haven't played OW since season 1 or 2 go from top 500 and GM to really low ranks. But they p. much were as high as they were initially due to 5 stacking back when no one knew how to play the game, so they deserve to be where they are. And will probably climb if they stick with the game.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I thought the theory was despite everyone placing much below their previous ranks (partially due to the system's design to have everyone climb every season), match making is still working around what it thinks people's true ranks are. In other words, true bronze/silver players aren't necessarily getting put in the same games as diamond players that placed silver.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

A bit of a shame they changed ranked over to a more standard system compared to the early days of Overwatch 1. Was thinking about the old glory days where I'd run around with Bacontotem on his quest for Rank 1 and it just doesn't have the same appeal anymore when the lowest you can go is Bronze 5.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

YoshiOfYellow posted:

A bit of a shame they changed ranked over to a more standard system compared to the early days of Overwatch 1. Was thinking about the old glory days where I'd run around with Bacontotem on his quest for Rank 1 and it just doesn't have the same appeal anymore when the lowest you can go is Bronze 5.

Hanjoing was patched out in 2016/17, when the ranking stopped showing anything below 500 Sr

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
You can still throw and ruin peoples games though, so that’s still an option.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

God I miss the early hanjo days. Absolute wild west of Overwatch.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Is there a way to tell when teammates are in a group like their was in OW1? I haven't seen any indicators but maybe I've only been playing with solo queuers?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Kazinsal posted:

God I miss the early hanjo days. Absolute wild west of Overwatch.

Was legit the most fun I had with Overwatch back in the day. Just a full stack of idiots finding the most absurd ways to lose.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Sloppy posted:

Is there a way to tell when teammates are in a group like their was in OW1? I haven't seen any indicators but maybe I've only been playing with solo queuers?

I think if you're in role queue you can't tell, and it was this way in OW1 after role queue was added as well. I believe the reason is with role queue, your team display is now organized by role, so they aren't always able to group groupmates next to each other depending on what roles they've landed. They could of course find another way to show who is grouped while in role queue, but I think this is why that change was initially made.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm not saying don't play her, I'm just saying competitively, she's rear end and I always feel like I could do more by playing anyone else.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Splinter posted:

I think if you're in role queue you can't tell, and it was this way in OW1 after role queue was added as well. I believe the reason is with role queue, your team display is now organized by role, so they aren't always able to group groupmates next to each other depending on what roles they've landed. They could of course find another way to show who is grouped while in role queue, but I think this is why that change was initially made.

Mystery Heroes, specifically. I didn't realize it varied by mode in OW1.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They should remove no-role competitive queue and replace it with ranked mystery heroes

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
A player in competitive told me to kill myself, so I tried to report them, but the report menu is bugged while you're controlling your hero because the game won't probably give your mouse focus on the menu itself, so I tried reporting them on the hero select screen, and in the 10 seconds it took me to successfully fill out the report, the game booted me for inactivity and banned me from the queue for 15 minutes.

Overwatch 2

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man what a bad onboarding experience. Choosing to have me use my blizzard account where I have like 5 levels of stuff as opposed to my playstation account where I played for two years and spent probably $200 on stuff be inaccessible while playing on the playstation is a weird way to handle it.

Any sort of skill I had in this is 100% gone though so not even sure I'll log back in again.

Kazinsal posted:

I always knew I was a grandmaster simply temporarily distressed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

A player in competitive told me to kill myself, so I tried to report them, but the report menu is bugged while you're controlling your hero because the game won't probably give your mouse focus on the menu itself, so I tried reporting them on the hero select screen, and in the 10 seconds it took me to successfully fill out the report, the game booted me for inactivity and banned me from the queue for 15 minutes.

Overwatch 2

Yeah, you have to open the social menu and report them from there and your mouse will work. It's a real dumb bug.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

And you can report them after the game.

I usually file reports during respawns.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dogstile posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm not saying don't play her, I'm just saying competitively, she's rear end and I always feel like I could do more by playing anyone else.

Yesterday playing casual bots I stood in front of an Osira and shot her 10 times with the Junkerqueen shotgun point blank and she was still alive when a torb turret killed me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

JQ needs something more to her defensive kit because relying on her two healing skills is not tanky enough, but the only reason she can work right now is because her hit box is mega hosed. You can literally have the crosshair on her head graphic and it won't count as a hit. Meanwhile, you can have the crosshair fully off Tracer's head at the end of her healthbar and it counts as a headshot.

The bad hit boxes are a big reason why people have such a hard time aiming in this game, on top of the punishing engine.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

So what are peoples opinions of the new maps so far?
I generally always love to get something new, but my favourites are:
Esperanca, Paraiso and Colosseo.

Esperanca feels like a perfect push map. Great sidealleys and walkaways to ambush and counterambush enemies.
Paraiso has same feeling for a hybrid. Early point and the 'choke' has some advantage to defenders, but it is not as choky as the 2cp maps. The Streets phase and the roofs are fun area. The club is only good, but has good sideplatform to fight.
Colosseo has less sidefights and way more linear, but the bridge-sections with a winding road up is a great fight spot.

New Queen Street, Midtown and Circuit Royal are of course fun too. Just not as much as the first 3.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I might be the only person that liked it but I miss the Egypt map. Unless it's still there somewhere and I've just never managed to run into it. It was a bad map to be sure, way too chokey. But I still enjoyed it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I might be the only person that liked it but I miss the Egypt map. Unless it's still there somewhere and I've just never managed to run into it. It was a bad map to be sure, way too chokey. But I still enjoyed it for some reason.

i liked the aesthetics of temple of anubis and hanamura but i would rather be shot out of a cannon than ever play either of them again