Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Gonna check this out today: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324130/Stranded_Alien_Dawn/

It's in EA and only a few reviews but all the reviews are basically "it's just rimworld in 3D" and "IT'S RIMWORLD IN 3D!!!"

Sold!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

RandomBlue posted:

Gonna check this out today: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324130/Stranded_Alien_Dawn/

It's in EA and only a few reviews but all the reviews are basically "it's just rimworld in 3D" and "IT'S RIMWORLD IN 3D!!!"

Sold!

So the real question is: what's mod support like? So much of the fun of Rimworld comes from its mods.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

RandomBlue posted:

The Android price for Card Survival is $16, lmao. Come the gently caress on.

That's about what most freemium mobile games seem to charge already between the ad blocker and coin doubler (assuming they're not part of the new wave that charge a loving monthly subscription to remove ads), and that's without all the other poo poo they'll be trying to fleece you for.

It's cheaper than on Steam, on a platform I'm likelier to play it on, and with no bullshit attached. People will pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars into a ""free"" game and then turn around and balk at one that has the audacity to show you its sticker price. I'm glad I'm not a mobile developer, christ.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Card Survival is far deeper than its graphics make it seem and it's an easy game to dump tons of hours into. Well worth the price, imo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Reminds me how every game release on steam will have posts in the discussion forum within minutes after launch of people doing a sight unseen valuation of the game and determining it's actually worth about $X.XX less than what they're charging for based on totally arbitrary criteria. Must be exhausting to be a game dev and have to deal with that poo poo all the time. Just don't buy the game if you think it's too much money :shrug:

Without fail every time I see those posts I assume it's like a 9 year old child with a max allowance but they reeeeeally want to get this game

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes when I go through a portal in Subnautica I spawn in the void or unloaded areas, any way to fix this?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I need to stop playing card survival. It started raining irl today and I went "God finally" to myself in the car

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

explosivo posted:

Reminds me how every game release on steam will have posts in the discussion forum within minutes after launch of people doing a sight unseen valuation of the game and determining it's actually worth about $X.XX less than what they're charging for based on totally arbitrary criteria. Must be exhausting to be a game dev and have to deal with that poo poo all the time. Just don't buy the game if you think it's too much money :shrug:

Without fail every time I see those posts I assume it's like a 9 year old child with a max allowance but they reeeeeally want to get this game

I'd just like them to sell a lot more and make more money so they can make more games.

:shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

Sold!

Hmmmm

I want this for my steam deck but it’s iffy if it works correctly.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

CuddleCryptid posted:

I need to stop playing card survival. It started raining irl today and I went "God finally" to myself in the car

That's totally normal in California

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
All Card Survival has taught me is that the key to surviving on a deserted island is two cisterns and a bunch of yams.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I BEAT SUBNAUTICA :woop:

Had some rough spots with bugs but overall it was a great game. I'll check the sequel later to see how it's like.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I was playing through the demo of Card survival....

1. Where the gently caress do you find flint? I've never found a single piece, so I'm guessing it's only somewhere in the paid game?
2. How the gently caress do you collect dirt or mud for pottery? Is that also a paid version deal?
3. I also kept running into Not Enough Stones for like everything, though a million and one palm fronds.
4. How do you keep stress down? I keep seeming to end up by the demo-end (day 7) just like stressed the gently caress out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

taiyoko posted:

1. Where the gently caress do you find flint? I've never found a single piece, so I'm guessing it's only somewhere in the paid game?
2. How the gently caress do you collect dirt or mud for pottery? Is that also a paid version deal?
3. I also kept running into Not Enough Stones for like everything, though a million and one palm fronds.
4. How do you keep stress down? I keep seeming to end up by the demo-end (day 7) just like stressed the gently caress out.

Flint is found in rocky areas Rocks, Desolate Beach, and the Western, Eastern and Jungle Highlands

Mud is from 'wet' areas Wetlands and Mangroves

Stones can be commonly found in areas where flint is found Rocks location especially

Stress doesn't really matter for ~45 days as the only thing that really affects it until then is pain and mood. Pain can be countered directly by
Kava or indirectly with Aloe which heals the foot/hand wounds, sunburn, etc. while mood can be easily increased through entertainment such as building sandcastles. Later on once isolation starts ramping up these are more complex but early on stress can come and go rapidly and not be too much of an issue.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

taiyoko posted:

1. You go to rocky areas to find it, you won't get any on the beach or jungle.
2. Go to the wetlands that are accessible by the jungle and search around for a dirty puddle, then select the icon and say dig up mud.
3. You just have to explore for more, you'll find enough as you walk around the map. They are somewhat limited though.
4. Lol lmao you don't. You can keep it down by keeping fed, hydrated, and entertained (building sand castles or diving in the sea) but generally it's going to be up there all the time, especially at the start.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, early stress management is 'go swimming twice a day and build a sandcastle once a day' and that pretty much handles it. If you're not living on the shore it's more complicated, but 'doing nothing' from the 15m and 1h pass time options actively reduces your stress and can help in a pinch, though they can only keep up with so much, with enough stress generation they'll only nullify additional stress gain while you wait. It's a good idea to rest for an hour before sleeping if your high stress, as it'll help you avoid having nightmares.

As for finding rocks and such, there's a soft cap to how many you can find outside of naturally rocky areas I think, it steadily becomes harder and harder to find more on beaches or in the woods, though in naturally rocky areas you'll almost always find one or two per explore action. Same with wood on beaches vs inland.

I do find it silly that you can't just... get dirt from the ground anywhere that's not a beach or excessively rocky honestly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jawnycat posted:

I do find it silly that you can't just... get dirt from the ground anywhere that's not a beach or excessively rocky honestly.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
WHO IS SANDY LOAM

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Thanks, with the demo I pretty much only ever was at the Bay, Jungle Path, or Jungle Wetlands...a bunch of places were locked off behind the paywall, and I never got around to fully exploring the wetlands. Might pick up the full version, but I really shouldn't be dropping $25 on vidja until I get a new job.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

CuddleCryptid posted:

Goddamn what do you need so much salt for?

It's good for glazed vases and food but that's a lot of salt if you are having several campfires burning at once.

It just saves a ton of time to do it all at once rather than spending forever working on it. If you have 4-5 campfires, you can get them all lit for no time cost once you have a fire going - just light a tinder and use it to light each of the other fires. Then, you just go fishing for a couple hours and replace the salt water once it's ready. You should be able to get 40 or so salt without much fuss over a day or two while you're doing things you'd do otherwise (fishing, digging sand), and then you don't need to worry about it anymore, unless you need a ton of glazed vases. You can then take down the campfires for the stones and you'll be set.

Danaru posted:

Is there any other way to deal with loneliness and isolation? Weston can't do anything to help me anymore and I'm regularly having my mood dip low enough to effect my action times

If you click on the loneliness bar, it'll tell you what affects it. Entertainment and comfort (comfort scales as it gets better) all give a negative modifier, and Weston gives two - one for having him around, and one for talking to him. If you bring Weston with you, you'll always have that modifier. You can also have a pet macaque, livestock, or if you find the skull , those can really help. In my last game, I was getting into critical loneliness range when I realized that bringing Weston around with me would trigger the buffs constantly. I grabbed Captain halfway in, and with the two of them was able to basically remove all loneliness to the point that I just had to keep Weston active and could put Captain away.

It can help to just pay attention to the loneliness bar - if it's ever ticking up, it's time to talk to Weston.

Rynoto posted:

You need high comfort to counter max loneliness -without pets- as well as entertainment and good cooked foods for the morale. Make sure to slap white-washed-walls on your hut as well as a door and a bookshelf full of curios - should get you most of the way there. The stitched floor is the hardest upgrade at 16 leather so unless you're overflowing it's worth saving those for the stone hut. Table and chair also give comfort but you should make those asap anyways for the crafting bonus.

I noticed the table talked about a crafting bonus but never noticed it - what exactly does it do?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Keep in mind, carrying Weston around also applies derealization penalties. Not so bad if you can keep your mood high but you may have to deal with the hunter eventually.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

OneTwentySix posted:

I noticed the table talked about a crafting bonus but never noticed it - what exactly does it do?

A table and chair together lowers craft times by 15 minutes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I made a macaque friend and now bringing him and Weston everywhere is slowly lowering the bar :unsmith: The gang's all here!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danaru posted:

I made a macaque friend and now bringing him and Weston everywhere is slowly lowering the bar :unsmith: The gang's all here!

I still haven't gotten a macaque friend in any runs and I'm not sure if it's because bows are too lethal or just unlucky :( Should go back to using spears to test.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Not a knock on Card Survival or any discussion about it, but I feel strangely like I'm in the Roguelike thread right now. Everything that is being discussed sounds so cool and very much my poo poo, then I go to the store page and go "oh...". I'm not a huge fan of card games in general and I admit I'm judging the book by its cover, but it seems insane to me that the content and presentation differ so wildly in quality and that the former can cover for the latter.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Yeah, this isn’t really a card game at all. Every item just represents in the form of cards.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
unconvinced that chilis are actually renewable, I've been exploring the 100% explored western grasslands for like a week and haven't found a single darn plant

obvs once I get one I'll be running farm plots for the rest of time but unfortunately I didn't save one last chili for that

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

unconvinced that chilis are actually renewable, I've been exploring the 100% explored western grasslands for like a week and haven't found a single darn plant

obvs once I get one I'll be running farm plots for the rest of time but unfortunately I didn't save one last chili for that

How many did you use? As it only spawns in the grasslands you could theoretically depopulate it but you'd have to be seriously trying. Otherwise just keep searching at low odds or wait a week or two before searching again once it replenishes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rynoto posted:

How many did you use? As it only spawns in the grasslands you could theoretically depopulate it but you'd have to be seriously trying. Otherwise just keep searching at low odds or wait a week or two before searching again once it replenishes.

only like five, that cannot possibly be all the chili's at day 100 or whatever it was when I pushed that first exploration batch

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Ambiguous Amphibian short video on Stardeus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZadAfX4C-s

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Ambiguous Amphibian short video on Stardeus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZadAfX4C-s

this is pretty much the poo poo i was wishing for just the other day, i really hope it's good

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

only like five, that cannot possibly be all the chili's at day 100 or whatever it was when I pushed that first exploration batch
You could try looking in the eastern grasslands, I know they spawn there as well. It's a rough life without chilis.

I'm day 66 and finally hit my stride - I've got two reservoirs and one's still 60% full which should easily make it through to rain. I've still got the cave puddle I can duck into if needed and an alembic though I never figured out how it works. I've got yams and chilis ready to harvest and a mud hut with a table and chair. I haven't unlocked the stone hut but I do have access to a well and cistern and cellar, so that may be my next project, or I may try and focus on roads into the grasslands instead so I can continue to farm my staple, delicious, delicious yam jam on flatbread. I got a basic path completed in the jungle though it took 2 entire wooden shovels to make. I haven't found obsidian or copper yet but I did just discover the volcano and monkey cave so I may explore that. Or get my archery which is only at 5% up.

Of course one bad animal interaction could spell doom and I still feel potentially very fragile as I don't have a ton of food stored up and I've been caught several times out on the beach not able to get back to my place and survived through unhappy situations. But that feeling of progress has me hooked good. I built an enclosure but didn't realize I needed trapping to build snares to actually get animals - I thought throwing a rock at them would stun them, not kill them! Also didn't understand how farm plots worked, they're single-use and you're essentially trading those materials for a crop card once grown.

I found a macaque friend that I pet way too much while it was recovering and got endlessly bit for it, if you do land one (Mine was from a spear stab in my hut) just keep it watered and fed and that should be enough, if the thing's at 90% smiles there's no need to touch it, let it be. They only start getting bitey at around 50% unhappiness as long as it's just giving them food and water. and happiness gradually rises if it's watered/fed.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 14, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Paths are by far the best investment you can make after you've sorted food and water, although only having two reservoirs and not two cisterns or a well is big worry as cisterns are the only way to mass store water without it evaporating off and said evaporation is fastest in clear weather. Copper is quite rare* only a limited number of raw pieces although you can find veins while obsidian can be collected at the desolate beach and more dangerously at the volcano.

Archery is awful until ~25% and at ~50% you can kill everything except boars pretty safely as long as you have a shield and leather pants. From there it just keeps getting safer.

Currently my own 'checklist' for day 60 starting-from-nothing is to have: 2 Cisterns, 2 Reservoirs (both jungle and grasslands), Well, and 4 crops each of Kava, Yams, and Chilis with paths built in the jungle and all connecting regions to it. That setup will survive both a nightmare scenario of the 40day dry season as well as emergency bites. From there branching out to mass farming trapping skill with ~20 deadfalls to get the trapping pit for safely killing lizards and trapping goats for milk will let you have a sustainable grasslands base and make the run basically unlosable.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 14, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, since dry season's almost past the cisterns will probably be my wet season project next go around and I'll definitely have them set up before the next dry season (if I live that long). I guess I'll have to build the well in the grassland. I have trouble sourcing logs so shovels are real expensive to make, I haven't done any fishing at all so I'm thinking about making a second mud hut on the beach or bay so I can fish and live there a while; grasslands/jungle is so torturous when it's clear skies and so I'm spending 15m dousing myself every 1.5-2 hours so I don't die - It'd be cool to spend those days more on the beach swimming and fishing but there's storms to consider.

If you're a jungle based person, do you path outskirts->beach for access to rocks or do you tend to just hit the bay? I'm definitely going to path to grasslands but then do you path to/through mangrove?

E: You built your base in the grasslands? I guess it doesn't super matter when you have paths, did you do it in that smelly cave? And what's the logic on splitting your water between wetlands and jungle?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 14, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, since dry season's almost past the cisterns will probably be my wet season project next go around and I'll definitely have them set up before the next dry season (if I live that long). I guess I'll have to build the well in the grassland. I have trouble sourcing logs so shovels are real expensive to make, I haven't done any fishing at all so I'm thinking about making a second mud hut on the beach or bay so I can fish and live there a while; grasslands/jungle is so torturous when it's clear skies and so I'm spending 15m dousing myself every 1.5-2 hours so I don't die - It'd be cool to spend those days more on the beach swimming and fishing but there's storms to consider.

If you're a jungle based person, do you path outskirts->beach for access to rocks or do you tend to just hit the bay? I'm definitely going to path to grasslands but then do you path to/through mangrove?

E: You built your base in the grasslands? I guess it doesn't super matter when you have paths, did you do it in that smelly cave? And what's the logic on splitting your water between wetlands and jungle?

Logs are very easy to source in the Jungle as once you cut down a large tree you'll almost always get a new one on the next explore and a flint axe cuts them down in two swings then a normal axe to shave it down. Takes ~2:15 per log. A second mud hut is, imo, a bit of a waste once you can make paths as 3 minutes per region makes the island seem almost small.

Generally the outskirts is the last jungle connection to get a path as just making one to the beach achieves the same thing and is more useful. Mangroves are good for a path anyways as it has excellent resources.

The second base goes in the grasslands much later as the stone hut requires max crafting. Early on before the dry season it's all jungle all the time to avoid lizards as much as possible and the wetlands access with a slow branching out into the grasslands to build farms for the chilis. And splitting water is just how it has to be as there can only be 1 cistern per region and a later upgrade lets your farms be autowatered by reservoirs so might as well build them in the two regions where I plan to build bases.

The well can only be built in the jungle wetlands.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 14, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That makes sense. Last q, what's the best thing to do with plastic sheet/scrap? I'm thinking probably scrap shovel but I don't know what the durability is on any of these things until I build it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Bhodi posted:

That makes sense. Last q, what's the best thing to do with plastic sheet/scrap? I'm thinking probably scrap shovel but I don't know what the durability is on any of these things until I build it.

The solar still is okay for another water source and doesn't consume the sheet unlike the raincoat which degrades but will keep you from freezing as quickly during the storm season. Scrap otoh is very good and well worth making shovels out of as it's just an unrepairable version of the copper one and lasts much longer than wood while being easy to make. Shipwreck is definitely one of those highrisk-highrewards places and the swimming skill takes a bit but scrap is well worth it.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 14, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Day 17 of the dry season and the cistern's empty :shepface: gonna have to get creative/really lucky with banana trees

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
For plastic sheets solar stills are great passive water sources, just slam a large sealed liquid container in and keep it fed with fronds, and it'll make ~1 bowl worth of water a day, varying based on cloudiness. Absolutely do not build stills/raincatchers in coastal areas though, as they can be destroyed by storms there, and then the sheets are lost forever, since there is a finite amount of them you can pull from the wreck.

And no worries about losing the sheet if you make the raincoat, when it runs out of durability you get the sheet back, just have to reinvest the cord, needle and time to remaking the coat again. The raincoat also provides strong bug protection, which can make it useful outside of the rain, just remember to take it off when it's hot.

Scrap is great for making copper tier tools, with the downside being unlike copper tools, they can't be repaired when they break. And scrap is also finite, so you'll only be able to get so many of them. Also make sure to get the jerrycan from the wreck, I cannot overstate how amazing the jerrycan is.

Danaru posted:

Day 17 of the dry season and the cistern's empty :shepface: gonna have to get creative/really lucky with banana trees

Remember you can eat aloe jell in an emergency for ~1/2 a bowl worth of hydration, and head to the mangroves and shove the largest sealed liquid containers you got on them cut nipa's. Sap is much better than coconut water when it comes to hydration gained vs hydration lost from making GBS threads yourself, and you get some nutrition from it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I haven't needed it yet, but isn't there some way of reducing your liquid stool meter; maybe ginger root? Maybe you could double-fist ginger tea and coconut juice.

I just got the jerrycan, indeed this thing is amazing. I also once found a water bottle in the rocks, but that was in a previous run - it holds one portion of water and can fit in a container so it's real nice if you don't want to haul around the gourd.