Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bobulus posted:

Down here in Carbondale, our population dropped below a threshold and now we have to vote if we want to give up Home Rule or keep it.

The only group I've seen opposing home rule is a realtors association. Only guess as to why is that a bunch of realtors are also landlords and lack of home rule would mean they no longer need a permit from the city that their property be reasonably livable.

I know carbondale was like a different state but I didn't know it was literally under the British Raj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Down here in Carbondale, our population dropped below a threshold and now we have to vote if we want to give up Home Rule or keep it.

The only group I've seen opposing home rule is a realtors association. Only guess as to why is that a bunch of realtors are also landlords and lack of home rule would mean they no longer need a permit from the city that their property be reasonably livable.

Do not under any circumstances let them take home rule from you. Its the only way a lot of cities can raise taxes after the disastrous PTELL push in 1996, and Jackson County voted for it and Carbondale would be subjected to it if home rule is rescinded. (Home Rule districts are exempt from PTELL limitations). You can read more about PTELL here and lots of other data is here Realtors love PTELL because it functionally acts as a property tax cap for counties that voted for it.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 12, 2022

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, I've seen mostly 'keep' signs around town (and already voted keep), but I'm getting hit with lots of ads for getting rid of it, so hopefully people don't get confused.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, I've seen mostly 'keep' signs around town (and already voted keep), but I'm getting hit with lots of ads for getting rid of it, so hopefully people don't get confused.

"Give up your sovereignty " is a hard sell in America.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Got a $50 check from the State of Illinois today. Says part of some tax rebate/refund. Is this JB Bucks?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Niwrad posted:

Got a $50 check from the State of Illinois today. Says part of some tax rebate/refund. Is this JB Bucks?

yes

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Niwrad posted:

Probably. They sent out a tax refund.

Jows
May 8, 2002

What is home rule?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jows posted:

What is home rule?

"Illinois Municipal League posted:

Home rule municipalities are autonomous and free to exercise governing authority independent of the General Assembly and Governor in most cases. They have much greater flexibility over local finances, as well as exercising authority over building, zoning, sanitation, nuisance abatement, civil disturbance and certain criminal offenses (such as defining and providing punishment for some misdemeanor offenses). Other benefits include less dependency on the state government, greater opportunities for local self governance and options to implement revenue policies that lessen reliance on property taxes.

I bolded the last bit because it basically means home rule communities can institute their own taxes for special services rather than just rely on property taxes or their share of county/state/federal taxes or bonds or referendums. Having the ability to make your own zoning and building ordinances means you can have stronger tenant laws, different building codes (usually stronger than state level) declare you're having municipal trash pickup instead of a dozen private companies whose trucks tear up your streets every day, and set a specific tax to pay for it without having to have a referendum, etc. You can imagine why real estate interests would be gung go to remove home rule. You can read the actual Illinois Constitution section on Home Rule here.

In the state of Illinois municipalities over 25,000 population are automatically home rule. Those under that population can elect to become so by referendum. Your municipality cannot agree to give up home rule that was decided on by referendum except with another referendum to do so. So far only two municipalities have voluntarily given up home rule (Lombard and Rockford). Cook County is the only home rule county; Will and Champaign counties both included non-home rule stipulations when they created their elected county executive positions via referendum.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 16, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
"JB Pritzger says Darren Bailey is an extremist. He's an expert at growing food! What is JB Pritzger ah expert at?"
What a stupid ad

Jows
May 8, 2002

So home rule establishes the right to local governance? Otherwise the county takes care of things?

I've only lived in the Quad Cities or Chicago so this is a totally foreign concept to me.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What is the supposed down side to home rule

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

brugroffil posted:

What is the supposed down side to home rule

Same as anything good in this poo poo world, scaremongering about taxes.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lager posted:

I was gonna say something like this but you put it better than I would have.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lager posted:

Got it in one.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jows posted:

So home rule establishes the right to local governance? Otherwise the county takes care of things?

I've only lived in the Quad Cities or Chicago so this is a totally foreign concept to me.

County or the state. Its basically a built-in level up for towns when they hit enough residents to start needing actual laws on the books for stuff that might differ from the generic bare bones 'don't kill people' type stuff that the state's already covered. How do you fund your road/sewer/trash/public works stuff, what services do you want to offer your people, do you want to be a dry or wet area when it comes to alcohol laws. do you want to restrict marijuana sales in your city limits because the devil's weed has no place in god's country, whatever.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I know all the focus is on the governor's race, but it's weird that I don't think I've seen a single ad either for OR against Underwood, even when my media market still airs stuff occasionally for most of the other suburban reps plus northwest Indiana. Were the republicans not able to come up with a credible threat to her this time around, or is the district just less competitive after the redraw?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Cattail Prophet posted:

I know all the focus is on the governor's race, but it's weird that I don't think I've seen a single ad either for OR against Underwood, even when my media market still airs stuff occasionally for most of the other suburban reps plus northwest Indiana. Were the republicans not able to come up with a credible threat to her this time around, or is the district just less competitive after the redraw?

I get ads for her on YouTube. :shrug:

Might be a safer district. I used to be in Bill Foster's and now I'm in Underwood's. I'd never seen a single Foster commercial in my life until this cycle, he used to carry the district with 66% of the vote.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

For Homer area posters:

Lol at how hard noted moron Balich had to eat poo poo by first ramming through a vote to sell off public open space lands despite a big turnout opposing it, then a day later having to call off the sale because the buyer backed out and he didn't have any valid backup offers.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
I think whatever Darren Bailey said for his closer at the debate tonight completely broke my brain. I’m trying to find a transcript.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

HerzogZwo posted:

I think whatever Darren Bailey said for his closer at the debate tonight completely broke my brain. I’m trying to find a transcript.

there was another debate?

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000

Oracle posted:

there was another debate?

Yep, on WGN.

Link (sorry, WGN has their own dogshit video player): https://wgntv.com/il-governor-race/pritzker-and-bailey-meet-for-final-televised-debate-before-election/

Just watch the last minute.

"My granddaughter Vader Rose (?!?!) just turned 9, and recently jumped in my arms and said, 'PaPaw' (?!?!?!)...

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

As someone who has their daughter in actual scouts (the not as crazy version of that American Heritage Girls), gas costs are the least of concerns when it comes to cost of involvement.

Anyone who has their girl in it is not quitting because of gas prices.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If Bailey can afford a Streeterville apartment, he can pay for gas for his granddaughter.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I wonder if he can pay for it out of his campaign account since he’s doing it for political reasons

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Badger of Basra posted:

I wonder if he can pay for it out of his campaign account since he’s doing it for political reasons

From the FEC, which I believe still applies to Illinois races.

quote:

The campaign may not pay for mortgage, rent or utilities for the personal residence of the candidate or the candidate’s family even if part of the residence is being used by the campaign.

So looks like no. If they could, I'm sure every candidate under the sun would come up with some excuse to go rent an extra place during the campaign.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think the FEC really gives a poo poo what you do anymore.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Back at the beginning of October, I was freaking out about trying to set up permanent vote by mail. You guys referred me to the state website which sent me to the county clerk’s website.

I found the forms, filled them out and sent them as PDFs for us to register. We received our ballots, filled them out and sent them in last week. Today, we received letters from the county clerk to register for permanent vote by mail.

1) I am so glad that they are up on everything that they sent this out even though we had already filled it out and voted.

2) imagine the craziness of getting this today, filling it out, mailing it in (it did not come with a return envelope), getting the ballot when they eventually send it to you (2 weeks or so between our registration) and voting all before November 8th.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Our county clerk sent those forms out like... more than a month ago. He's been a bit slow on the technology front (our Jackson county voting website is really out of date and clunky*) but at least he's been on top of mailings and such.

* Like, all the info on that site are in PDFs that are themselves scans of printed documents.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My vote by mail was a little pokey getting to me.. the claim is they'd start mailing on September 29 but I didn't get mine until like October 10th.

But for the most part it was a pretty good process. We moved to Kane county in May, I changed my registration in June, then in August I clicked on the website for my VBM. Now I'm all voted up and am curious why anyone could ever be mad about this process. Why go to a polling station anymore when you got this option?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

xzzy posted:

Now I'm all voted up and am curious why anyone could ever be mad about this process. Why go to a polling station anymore when you got this option?

“IT MAKES IT TOO EASY!!! :byodood:

Seriously, there are conservatives on Twitter and poo poo arguing that you should have to go out of your way to vote, and making it too easy is bad for… reasons???

Never mind that until recently, the GOP was the big vote-by-mail party to ensure that their elderly shut-ins weren’t waylaid by infirmity on Election Day. Soon-to-be Speaker of the House (maybe?) Kevin McCarthy got his start in GOP politics doing vote-by-mail organization back in 1987. It’s extra :lol: that Donald Trump convinced the GOP base voters that vote-by-mail is now bad.

Personally, my favorite thing about vote-by-mail is it gives me time to try to research all of the local down ballot races, especially judges. When I voted in person, I’d end up leaving anything I didn’t know blank, which is how scumbags entrench themselves in local office.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
My only fear with vote by mail is they'll decide my signature doesn't match, but I do it anyway.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Personally, my favorite thing about vote-by-mail is it gives me time to try to research all of the local down ballot races, especially judges. When I voted in person, I’d end up leaving anything I didn’t know blank, which is how scumbags entrench themselves in local office.

Same. I can actually look up stuff on judges and small offices.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

You can look up the races/ballot measures in advance. :ssh:

But actually I like it for the same reason because without the kick in the pants of my ballot showing up I won’t actually go do that research.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

fourwood posted:

You can look up the races/ballot measures in advance. :ssh:

What do you think I am, some kind of nerd?!!!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Ate with family and in the span of 10 minutes, my brother in law went on these tangents (to my wife because she knows that I have to ignore him and she has the patience of a saint):
-he threw away his mail in ballot application because he is not going to let democrats screw him over.
-I mentioned what happened to us and then he decided that I should fill the extra application out because they will send me another ballot which then made him want to see how many ballots they would send him if he pulled his application out of the trash.
-he went on a rant about how everyone tells white people how bad they are but if you look at history, white people are not bad, just the “elites” who do all the bad stuff.
- told a story about the “good black people” who helped him in Chicago when his car broke down years ago.
- said he refuses to drink Coke because they are a “woke company” that tells their employees to not be white…my wife called him out on this and he found a right wing website (by speaking into his phone “Coke hates white people”) show her and she knew that it was BS.
- he went on a transphobic rant about girls sports and used Lia Thomas (did not know her name even) as a good example of how boys that suck at their own sports will just now dominate girls. It ended with him saying “I have no problem with them walking down the street but I will protect my nieces from having this sports travesty happen”

Food arrived and the crazy stopped. He will be voting for Bailey although before he has said that he does not trust Bailey at all.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

(by speaking into his phone “Coke hates white people”)

Imagine explaining this to someone from 20 years ago lmao

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

“IT MAKES IT TOO EASY!!! :byodood:

Seriously, there are conservatives on Twitter and poo poo arguing that you should have to go out of your way to vote, and making it too easy is bad for… reasons???

Never mind that until recently, the GOP was the big vote-by-mail party to ensure that their elderly shut-ins weren’t waylaid by infirmity on Election Day. Soon-to-be Speaker of the House (maybe?) Kevin McCarthy got his start in GOP politics doing vote-by-mail organization back in 1987. It’s extra :lol: that Donald Trump convinced the GOP base voters that vote-by-mail is now bad.

Well don't forget a large bunch of these republican elderly have likely died from covid.

Studies have come out showing a huge disparity in covid outcomes between parties, due to a lack of vaccination and lack of proper care and social distancing and so on.

Death cults have consequences.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-death-rates-higher-republicans-democrats-why-rcna50883

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

A commercial with Joe Rogan is running against cashless bail and I don't have a clue who they think they are going to convince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

A commercial with Joe Rogan is running against cashless bail and I don't have a clue who they think they are going to convince.

I saw a commercial for Duckworth’s opponent for the first time ever today and it was so bad, it was hilarious.

An old white lady with zero screen presence, stumbling through her lines while doing jig saw puzzles. Great job! :thumbsup: