Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
There is no Starfield, is there? It was just a mean prank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

1glitch0 posted:

hey, you, you're finally awake

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
hate newspapers

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

motherfucker

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
just lol that this thing is using the Gamebryo Creation Engine

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Creation Engine is fine. It's what makes it a true Bethesda RPG. Would not be worthwhile at all to switch engines and redo/relearn everything from scratch, unless you want an extra decade of delays.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
The only problem is that it's fundamentally broken and if there's a Fallout 5 that uses that same piece of poo poo engine I might finally kms

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Honestly, I'm due for some Bethesda jank.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

The only problem is that it's fundamentally broken and if there's a Fallout 5 that uses that same piece of poo poo engine I might finally kms

There are bugs with the engine since Morrowind that Beth have never fixed. This why there is community patch for every new game day 1, the community just ports over the last community patch from the last game they’ve released because they know they’ll never get fixed.

E: gently caress, even their shaders for Fallout 4 where ripped from the modding scene. Beth has terrible programmers, this is known.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 10, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Every new Beth game has the same cycle: we lament the old rear end engine, declare its time for a new engine, buy said game and play 500 hours.

And Bethesda know that. Their engine is something they are intimately familiar and comfortable with, and it also ensures the games are able to be modded.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I accept creation engine because of the mods. That is absolutely necessary for a Bethesda game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Bethesda games are fun because the amount of jank is usually acceptable in comparison to what you can do in the game.

Even without mods, a bethesda rpg game is usually packed full of crazy things to do and see.

The story is generally forgettable and silly, but I enjoy them not because of the story but because I can go north and run into a billion things, some on the map and some are just crazy locations that don't even have a map marker.

I hope they can continue that trend and they make it so I can get from a town to exploring some random cave without 50 minutes of driving in an empty black space level.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The jump from FO3 to FO4 in terms of basic functionality was nice, FO4 is still a pretty fun game to play, so I don't think the engine needs changing really.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Speaking of, happy birthday Fallout 1. :toot:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

New info and a first look at the dialogue system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDNimT0O8LE

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm not sure why but the sterility of the Bethesda workplace they kind of showed off makes me laugh.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I am very much looking forward to this game

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm fine with stating this for the record:

I like Bethesda games.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The jump from FO3 to FO4 in terms of basic functionality was nice, FO4 is still a pretty fun game to play, so I don't think the engine needs changing really.
I mostly want fewer instanced interiors with loading screens, maybe the fact they don't have to make the game for consoles from 2013 anymore will help with that.

E: Oh poo poo I didn't realize it's also not coming to PS5 apparently? :rubby:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am very much looking forward to this game
Game sucks, can't even pre-purchase starships worth thousands of dollars :colbert:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Interesting persuasion system.

I want the punishing mod fuel - bring me to a halt and waste my time. Waste it!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

John F Bennett posted:

lmao at the adoring fan trait

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

orcane posted:

I mostly want fewer instanced interiors with loading screens, maybe the fact they don't have to make the game for consoles from 2013 anymore will help with that.

E: Oh poo poo I didn't realize it's also not coming to PS5 apparently? :rubby:

Game sucks, can't even pre-purchase starships worth thousands of dollars :colbert:

is Star Citizen out yet

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
As far as I can tell from the SA thread, it's still Schrödinger's game development. The game is out and perfectly playable if the point is defending against refunds and people making fun of a decade and 500 million $ in development. If the "released" product is observed to be lovely and buggy and broken and missing technology other developers invented in the 90s, it's obviously a (pre-) alpha the special features with the big tech names are just around the corner, just wait you impatient goonion.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'll give todd howard this, for better or worse It really does seem like this a game he wanted made.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

lmao at the adoring fan trait

Nice

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Content Warning: Todd Howards face is in this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao this is amazing.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Deep dive from Todd there, namedropping a 1984 Apple II/Atari ST space sim right at the start.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm interested in the possible starting locations, especially the one that gives you a little home on a small moon. I don't know if we're talking Kame House small or if I'll have a biome I can explore, but that's the kind of thing that's going to be fairly fun in the vanilla game and just nuts with mods. All these Bethesda games are strongly limited by what systems are in the base game - like fallout 4 and skyrim are very similar games but one has Vats and the other has Magic and that really sets the direction of where the mods go, so seeing things like alternate starts with property in vanilla is exciting.

The gameplay demo they've shown so far has strong fallout 4 gunplay vibes and I'm really really really hoping there's a magic analog, like how mass effect has biotics. That's probably my single biggest concern for the game because man I don't really want to play a Bethesda shooter again. I hope it AT LEAST has fallout 4 levels of melee.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm interested in the possible starting locations, especially the one that gives you a little home on a small moon. I don't know if we're talking Kame House small or if I'll have a biome I can explore, but that's the kind of thing that's going to be fairly fun in the vanilla game and just nuts with mods. All these Bethesda games are strongly limited by what systems are in the base game - like fallout 4 and skyrim are very similar games but one has Vats and the other has Magic and that really sets the direction of where the mods go, so seeing things like alternate starts with property in vanilla is exciting.

as far as i can tell those aren't starting locations, they're just unique points of interest that you can go visit in the open world

you always start in the same location and have to go through the standard bethesda tutorial quest though

e: guaranteed there'll be a mod to fix that inside of a week

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok so I might own a house in whiterun hold but i still start on the wagon going to Helgen, gotcha.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

The gameplay demo they've shown so far has strong fallout 4 gunplay vibes and I'm really really really hoping there's a magic analog, like how mass effect has biotics. That's probably my single biggest concern for the game because man I don't really want to play a Bethesda shooter again. I hope it AT LEAST has fallout 4 levels of melee.

My brain immediately goes to the Psi-Amp from System Shock 2.

Gotta freeze those loving monkeys with your mind man.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes! Exactly! There's a long tradition of having "basically magic" and just calling it psionics. I hope they're just playing their cards close to their chest and future videos will reveal:

Psionics
Laser/Chain Sword
Drones/Robots

Basically anything that's going to keep it from what happens to Fallout 4 where I reinstalled it just last month and was immediately sure that I was still tired of the gun play.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Biotics or something like it would be a lot of fun, yeah. Give me a vanguard charge. The most I played with melee in Fallout 4 was a character who had the perks to basically go "nothing personnel, kid" and teleport around whacking dudes.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

marshmallow creep posted:

Biotics or something like it would be a lot of fun, yeah. Give me a vanguard charge. The most I played with melee in Fallout 4 was a character who had the perks to basically go "nothing personnel, kid" and teleport around whacking dudes.

Melee was the only way I could make it through FO4. Just get hammered and bash everyone to death, good times.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I don't think there's going to be space magic. They already said the sci-fi was going to be very grounded and realistic. I also hope there's no space magic of any kind in there, I'm a bit tired of all these fantasy elements in my sci-fi.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

I'm a bit tired of all these fantasy elements in my sci-fi.

:same:

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

I don't think there's going to be space magic. They already said the sci-fi was going to be very grounded and realistic. I also hope there's no space magic of any kind in there, I'm a bit tired of all these fantasy elements in my sci-fi.

Except for the main plot seems to revolve around how you're one of the few special people that can safely collect the mysterious ancient relics of power or whatever. Gives me a Dragonborn kinda feel. Wouldn't surprise me if your character has secret Jedi DNA or something to explain why you have sci-fi themed video game abilities that the NPCs don't.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mylan posted:

Except for the main plot seems to revolve around how you're one of the few special people that can safely collect the mysterious ancient relics of power or whatever. Gives me a Dragonborn kinda feel. Wouldn't surprise me if your character has secret Jedi DNA or something to explain why you have sci-fi themed video game abilities that the NPCs don't.

It’ll probably just be something where you were a generic experiment at birth yada yada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mylan posted:

One of the traits shown was "alien DNA" so they're gonna have something like that.

Also I hope they have biotics or magic or VATS or something because I suck at FPS and I need some kind of help/cheat.