Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Polonium buttplug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Dlugy is on reddit trying to clear his name now, but a lot of what he's saying doesn't make much sense like he played titled Tuesdays with his students suggesting moves and some of them cheated. Also weirdly bringing in Hikaru's step dad who also teaches chess nearby as being his rival.

neaden fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 12, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
An excuse for two sinners to go hungry and poor.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

neaden posted:

Dlugy is on reddit trying to clear his name now, but a lot of what he's saying doesn't make much sense like he played titled Tuesdays with his students suggesting moves and some of them cheated.

Speedrunners who have been caught cheating use defenses like this all the time.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
who is winning in this position? all of black's pieces are hanging, so at first glance, it looks completely winning for white here.

but stockfish tells me that it's winning for black after 11... Bxe5 12. Bxe5, because 12... Qxe5+ comes with check, and white has to either move the king, block with the knight (hanging the pawn on b2) or block with the queen (letting black's rook in a8 survive). chess is hard!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i might be missing something obvious but why wouldn’t white just take the rook immediately instead of the bishop?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

jesus WEP posted:

i might be missing something obvious but why wouldn’t white just take the rook immediately instead of the bishop?

There’s some lines in the Kan where you give the rook for a pawn and the dark-squared bishop. The dynamics of the position are such that that your dark squared bishop is incredibly strong if unopposed, especially if white castles kingside.

e: for example, look at the position after 1…Bxe5 2.Qxa8 Bxf4. What does white do now? White can’t castle queenside, but 0-0 runs into Bxh2+. Or maybe black doesn’t even take the pawn but just plays 0-0 and Bb7 immediately. If white plays 3.Qf3 then Bb7 is really strong, but it’s not like white can leave the queen on a8.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Poisoned Rook Variation :D

Material isn't everything. Sure it helps, but that's why gambits and the like exist because you get compensation for your material sacrifice in the form of a stronger position / development. I think this position is a really good example as Hand Knit points out the various ways black can try to get compensation for the rook.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
An unfortunate game in the latest round of the US championship: https://lichess.org/broadcast/us-chess-championship/round-7/PVVXNTKT/raNgiAZF
I had to check a couple of tries in the engine like 11...Qf5 12.Nxe4 Qxe4 13.Re1 which is a pretty funny way to lose a piece. I can only imagine anyone losing this way to start channeling Bobby Fischer and yelling about theory.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

neaden posted:

Dlugy is on reddit trying to clear his name now, but a lot of what he's saying doesn't make much sense like he played titled Tuesdays with his students suggesting moves and some of them cheated.

If your students are suggesting moves by throwing darts at a chessboard, you're cheating. You can't get external help, period.

Magnus himself is on video doing this though, so :ironicat:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I watched the magnus/ludwig vs botez/botez doubles chess event and this guy was telling magnus which piece to move, every move! The cheating has to stop!!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Redmark posted:

An unfortunate game in the latest round of the US championship: https://lichess.org/broadcast/us-chess-championship/round-7/PVVXNTKT/raNgiAZF
I had to check a couple of tries in the engine like 11...Qf5 12.Nxe4 Qxe4 13.Re1 which is a pretty funny way to lose a piece. I can only imagine anyone losing this way to start channeling Bobby Fischer and yelling about theory.

lol this looks like one of my anonymous gloryhole blitz games

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Redmark posted:

Wow, that's nasty.

Retake with the queen, queen gets skewered and you lose the bishop. Retake with the bishop, Q+B get forked, move the queen, bishop is taken, and taking the knight with the queen results in the same skewer.

Stockfish says the blunder was castling instead of taking with the pawn in the first place, but it looked so safe, the pawn was protected by the queen!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Redmark posted:

Moradiabi is having an absolutely awful tournament. Going for the "just trade, draw and go home" and losing in 11 moves is... demoralizing.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Hans passed the rear end wanding with flying colors and now he's 2nd last in the US championship, curious

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
the rear end speaks for itself

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Good thing he’s on C# now instead of rear end-embly

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Spokes posted:

Good thing he’s on C# now instead of rear end-embly

Oh no, that's so dangerous. I think it's because his generation doesn't know that it's not C-Hashtag, it's C-Sharp :gonk:. These drat kids :corsair:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Oh no, that's so dangerous. I think it's because his generation doesn't know that it's not C-Hashtag, it's C-Sharp :gonk:. These drat kids :corsair:
calling it c hashtag is a great way to annoy your coworkers. up there with "c plus"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

jesus WEP posted:

calling it c hashtag is a great way to annoy your coworkers. up there with "c plus"

C plus plus

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

jesus WEP posted:

what are you supposed to say? c augmented like the chord?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Charles Ingalls posted:

what are you supposed to say? c augmented like the chord?

c-poundsign

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

One to make you feel ... sharp :classiclol:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

former glory posted:

d2. the pin means white has no choice but to trade queens and the bishop can't stop both pawns from promoting

very nice

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm a poo poo level player, but one trying to get a little better. I can play any other online games, board games, video games, anything... maybe a little toxic at Rocket League but that's about as bad as I get.

Chess makes me loving rage like noone's business. It's literally stopped me from playing more often in anonymous online matches because I get so drat frustrated

Not sure I'm looking for tips or validation or anything, just venting. I've been able to rip off a small smattering of daily 3min games online lately, just trying to slowly build up a resistance.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

former glory posted:

I can't believe it but somehow ...Qc2, Qxc2, dxc2 is winning for white. Stockfish also says it's bad because of the weird move ...Qc2, Qe1

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Salt Fish posted:

I can't believe it but somehow ...Qc2, Qxc2, dxc2 is winning for white

I assume it's because you win the king race in that scenario

e:it's complicated if white just starts pushing their own passed pawn and ignores black's nonsense though. endgames are hard

ee: oh I misread and thought you said black was winning. White is probably winning because black can't both force through their own promotion and block white's

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 13, 2022

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Omnikin posted:

I'm a poo poo level player, but one trying to get a little better. I can play any other online games, board games, video games, anything... maybe a little toxic at Rocket League but that's about as bad as I get.

Chess makes me loving rage like noone's business. It's literally stopped me from playing more often in anonymous online matches because I get so drat frustrated

Not sure I'm looking for tips or validation or anything, just venting. I've been able to rip off a small smattering of daily 3min games online lately, just trying to slowly build up a resistance.

My hypothesis is that people rage at chess because of the stereotypical connection with intelligence. So when you lose you feel like you got outsmarted and that stings.
Instead I look at it like any other video game. If I'm in a winning position and hang a piece, that's like playing Street Fighter, dropping a 2-frame link and getting reversal supered by some button masher. It doesn't mean anything other than "lol practice your combos".

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Omnikin posted:

I find that playing longer, more thought out games helps a lot. Fast blitz games just make the tilt spiral so much faster and more easily

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I can't believe it but somehow ...Qc2, Qxc2, dxc2 is winning for white. Stockfish also says it's bad because of the weird move ...Qc2, Qe1

It's all about the blockade.

For the first line: after trading queens, white is going to play Bd2 and eventually Bc1. It's going to take black forever to get the king to either d1 or b1 to convert the pawn. This is going to give white time to either convert the a-pawn or bring the king over to collect black's c-pawns.

For the second line: it's all about maintaining control over the e1-a5 diagonal. Without the d2-trick to break that, white just controls that forever, and denies black the possibility of any advance or entry.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

former glory posted:

can't believe i got this one saw the pin, thought it wouldn't work after Bxd2 then remembered the other pawn. very nice

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Redmark posted:

My hypothesis is that people rage at chess because of the stereotypical connection with intelligence. So when you lose you feel like you got outsmarted and that stings.
Instead I look at it like any other video game. If I'm in a winning position and hang a piece, that's like playing Street Fighter, dropping a 2-frame link and getting reversal supered by some button masher. It doesn't mean anything other than "lol practice your combos".

for me its a combo of this, plus working really hard in chess to get an advantage and then tossing it away with a blunder is just the worst feeling.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah I think because chess is fully deterministic when you gently caress up it's entirely on you, you can't blame rng or anything

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

tractor fanatic posted:

Yeah I think because chess is fully deterministic when you gently caress up it's entirely on you, you can't blame rng or anything

Just blame Hans

(Hans Gruber, Hans Moleman, Hans from the SNL "Pump YOU Up" skits, ...)

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
If i wanted to learn chess, should I use the chess or lichess app (or something else)?

Anything that works offline?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's a nice situation I found myself in. There's only one winning move for Black, and I played it.

poe meater posted:

If i wanted to learn chess, should I use the chess or lichess app (or something else)?

Anything that works offline?

They both let you play offline against bots. I think Lichess is better if you don't plan to spend money. I'm still using chess.com out of habit.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Today I hit 1000 in my 2|1 bullet rating!!

I then tilted and lost 5 in a row to drop down to 930. The last one I missed a forced mate and blundered into my own forced mate. Feels bad man.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Chamale posted:

Here's a nice situation I found myself in. There's only one winning move for Black, and I played it.

My best guess is Bg7. Attack the Queen, defend against mate, keeps a line free for our own Queen to escape.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 14, 2022

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

it's ...Bd6 to also stop Rxd8# without losing a piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Elyv posted:

it's ...Bd6 to also stop Rxd8# without losing a piece

Doesn't this just drop the rook? What's wrong about Qf6?