Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

loquacius posted:

We use Tinybeans, which basically is a private invite-only mini-social-media specifically for showing people pictures of kids without showing the whole world, and it has cross-platform and web interfaces too. My mom can use it so it must be pretty easy

Won't stop grandma and grandpa from posting their own pictures wherever they please of course

this is what we've used, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My kid asked me whether people will be ready to leave the earth in anticipation of the sun's terminal expansion into a red giant and what kind of wide-eyed optimist am I raising.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My son grabbed the waffle bag out of the freeze asking for waffles. We told him no they're breakfast food not dinner food. He then ran to the couch as I went to grab them and hid them under a pillow. Then he said "waffle all gone" while throwing his hands up.

He's learning tricksies.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Nocturtle posted:

My kid asked me whether people will be ready to leave the earth in anticipation of the sun's terminal expansion into a red giant and what kind of wide-eyed optimist am I raising.

when i was in second or third grade i was very afraid that i might live through this happening lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I just asked my 2yo if she wants a little brother or sister (since barring complications she's getting one). Her response: "No, I want to drink milk while we play Banjo-Kazooie." Life is simple when you're two

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you could then pivot to how having a younger sibling is very similar to having a bird in a backpack that you wear.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'll have to start emphasizing how the point of the whole adventure is to save Banjo's little sister, because he loves her very much

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the quiz show stage is going to be so good, I’m pumped for you and your child.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Current save state is about halfway through Click Clock Wood autumn. Her favorite character seems to be Bottles, which is unfortunate because we ran out of moves to learn a long time ago

She was super bored by Rusty Bucket Bay, which is fair, so I hurried through that one, but is really into Click Clock Wood.

I'm definitely gonna have to do another pass through every Brentilda location before the quiz show, which I don't think her attention span will survive, but the quiz show itself should be good :)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This kid absolutely loves Wheels on the Bus and I will never tire seeing her in the mirror in the backseat, slowly rotating her arms, or trying to make a shush sound but her finger is against the side of her mouth

It also keeps her from getting so god damned mad about being strapped into a seat

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We've got swim lessons again tonight and they have been going very well! She doesn't like having to swim over to the instructor (who is a super nice, patient lady) but is otherwise giggling and loving bouncing around in the water. It's crazy to see how quick she has gotten the hang out of moving around the sides of the pool, getting in/out, rolling on to her back to float, and handling going under water very well

Now if we can just go through fall/winter without constant ear infections we will be good

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I got bored circling the block with my 5 year old every day as bicycle training and took him out into traffic. He handled it really well, kept reasonably to the right, stopped when I told him to and at lights/roads and if oncoming traffic seemed at all threatening. Great success, even if I picked a quiet route and time. It adds a new mobility, especially since he's getting to big for my bike and also getting a sibling.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid is now at the correct height that when i hold him, his feet are right at dick and balls level. he's kicked me so much the last few weeks just from squirming around lol, very unpleasant

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

my kid is now at the correct height that when i hold him, his feet are right at dick and balls level. he's kicked me so much the last few weeks just from squirming around lol, very unpleasant

been there
be careful now, do not lean over them from behind to zip up a coat cause they will jump and smash your face

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

lobster shirt posted:

Oh is that a thing? Good, I won't need a vasectomy to prevent another one then

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Oh is that a thing? Good, I won't need a vasectomy to prevent another one then

Bad news. Also, get used to sleeping with your hands on your junk (again)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

lobster shirt posted:

The beauty of children is that the nutshots change as they develop.

Currently having to be wary of running headbutts to the crotch from the 4yo as she excitedly comes to hug me when picking her up from daycare.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just yell "ahh my cubes!" and fall over and take the rest of the afternoon off.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Unfortunately I'm a stay at home dad at the moment, so that doesn't really work.

'Unfortunately' for the not working bit, not the dad bit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

sitting on the couch is dangerous here

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

just yell "ahh my cubes!" and fall over and take the rest of the afternoon off.

my wife is like 7 months pregnant, i cannot do this

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Between enthusiastic 3 year old headbutts to the crotch from hugs, and my dog casually licking people in the crotch to say hi, i prefer the headbutts

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My two cats who are traditionally well behaved are such good sports around our baby and I'm so happy to see the more outgoing kitty go up and grant headbutts and nudges unprompted :3:

It is still very, very early but it looks like baby #2 is officially on the way! We already have a pair of names picked out so I'm excited to see what my girl's reaction will be to learning about being a big sister

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Congrats! We just got our NIPT results back and it looks like we're having a boy for kid #2, no major risks for genetic diseases either. Psyched :)

Still gonna wait on telling people IRL until the ultrasound but that's tomorrow morning

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

Congrats! We just got our NIPT results back and it looks like we're having a boy for kid #2, no major risks for genetic diseases either. Psyched :)

Still gonna wait on telling people IRL until the ultrasound but that's tomorrow morning

first boy or second boy?

I ask because I want you to mentally prepare for a toddler whipping it out at every opportunity

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

First boy. As I understand it we should prepare to get peed on during diaper changes for a while lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

you can get pee wee teepees for that. our it might not be an issue. only one of my boys did that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just keep a cloth to toss on the source as soon as the diaper comes off

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

we never had that problem but we didn't snip snip so your ymmv

no this is not an invitation to derail the thread with circumcision

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

not really sure whether it's relevant to whether the kid pees when the diaper is off but I agree that it's not a conversation I wanna have here

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah i never had an issue with my kid peeing on me during diaper changes either. however during his first or second bath, which we did in a big baby tub next to our kitchen sink, he peed right up into the air, straight onto the drying rack where a bunch of clean dishes were :mad:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

yeah i never had an issue with my kid peeing on me during diaper changes either. however during his first or second bath, which we did in a big baby tub next to our kitchen sink, he peed right up into the air, straight onto the drying rack where a bunch of clean dishes were :mad:

ahahahahahaha

Kid #2 and #3 are both girls so we should be ok with that, poor wife though she feels like she's 37 weeks along instead of the 27 she's at

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

loquacius posted:

First boy. As I understand it we should prepare to get peed on during diaper changes for a while lol

My daughter had to deal with some serious penis envy when we potty trained her little brother.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a funny thing that my son was doing last night was asking me to tickle him and then saying "i don't like that" and then when i stop saying "do it again"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kid hurt her foot so bad at daycare we had to go to urgent care so I spent most of the day holding a baby normally sprinting around like a madman just looking a bit crestfallen and not even wanting to put on shoes

I think she may cursed with her mother's sense of balance, sorry kid :(

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Seems like this is as good as any place to ask...

Hello, everyone. I got married at the end of March with my girlfriend of many years. We just reached that point we realized we should just cut the bullshit and just get it done. But prior to that we already had been living together for a couple of years, just a couple of weeks shy of the start of the worldwide COVID pandemic, so we already have gone through difficult times, and still got married. Yeah, that was a trip alright.

And now we're pregnant. And we expect our little girl for end of February/March 2023.

We live in Mexico. We got 3 shots of Astra Zeneca vaccine. And just recently got advertised to get another booster: CanSino shots. So... How good are CanSino boosters and how well do they hold up for the current COVID variants? Does the immunity transfers somewhat to the baby? And what precautions do you have to take for a newborn in this plague ridden world?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Kal-L posted:

Seems like this is as good as any place to ask...

Hello, everyone. I got married at the end of March with my girlfriend of many years. We just reached that point we realized we should just cut the bullshit and just get it done. But prior to that we already had been living together for a couple of years, just a couple of weeks shy of the start of the worldwide COVID pandemic, so we already have gone through difficult times, and still got married. Yeah, that was a trip alright.

And now we're pregnant. And we expect our little girl for end of February/March 2023.

We live in Mexico. We got 3 shots of Astra Zeneca vaccine. And just recently got advertised to get another booster: CanSino shots. So... How good are CanSino boosters and how well do they hold up for the current COVID variants? Does the immunity transfers somewhat to the baby? And what precautions do you have to take for a newborn in this plague ridden world?

Congrats!

COVID thread might have more thoughts about the specific booster. My understanding is some immunity transfers to the fetus if mom gets the shot later in the pregnancy.

But precautions-wise, the time when you actually want to be most cautious is while your wife is pregnant. COVID increases the risk of complications and is more likely to be severe for pregnant people. It can cause blood clots, can damage the placenta and contribute to preterm birth. Depending on where you give birth, a positive test late in the pregnancy can mean that you might not be allowed in the room during or after birth. It's also the time when family and friends are less likely to understand your precautions. This was a hugely stressful pain in the rear end for us.

Things are more straight-forward with a newborn because the prevailing guidance already dictates that you be extremely cautious about respiratory illness like flu and RSV during the first couple months of life anyway. Those are more likely to be trouble than COVID, which is (supposedly -- grain of salt given that COVID is OVER) rare among newborns and unlikely to cause severe illness. Visitors should be vaccinated (TDAP, COVID and flu), should wash their hands before touching baby and not kiss the baby, and should avoid visiting entirely if they have even mild illness or think they might have been exposed to COVID. Ideally they'd mask, but lol yeah right grandparents.

My girl was born premature going on three months now and we basically just continue to live like most people did in the early days of COVID. Mostly staying at home, only allowing visitors for limited time in as controlled an environment as we can, masking with an N95 any time we go somewhere indoors around other people. And then try and take as much leave as possible before considering putting them in daycare. Because once they're in daycare... they're going to catch something!

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

loquacius posted:

toss a cloth wipe (disposable works too I guess) over his junk while you're changing him and you'll probably escape diaper times with only 1 or 2 getting peed on stories

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Chad Sexington posted:

Congrats!

COVID thread might have more thoughts about the specific booster. My understanding is some immunity transfers to the fetus if mom gets the shot later in the pregnancy.

But precautions-wise, the time when you actually want to be most cautious is while your wife is pregnant. COVID increases the risk of complications and is more likely to be severe for pregnant people. It can cause blood clots, can damage the placenta and contribute to preterm birth. Depending on where you give birth, a positive test late in the pregnancy can mean that you might not be allowed in the room during or after birth. It's also the time when family and friends are less likely to understand your precautions. This was a hugely stressful pain in the rear end for us.

Things are more straight-forward with a newborn because the prevailing guidance already dictates that you be extremely cautious about respiratory illness like flu and RSV during the first couple months of life anyway. Those are more likely to be trouble than COVID, which is (supposedly -- grain of salt given that COVID is OVER) rare among newborns and unlikely to cause severe illness. Visitors should be vaccinated (TDAP, COVID and flu), should wash their hands before touching baby and not kiss the baby, and should avoid visiting entirely if they have even mild illness or think they might have been exposed to COVID. Ideally they'd mask, but lol yeah right grandparents.

My girl was born premature going on three months now and we basically just continue to live like most people did in the early days of COVID. Mostly staying at home, only allowing visitors for limited time in as controlled an environment as we can, masking with an N95 any time we go somewhere indoors around other people. And then try and take as much leave as possible before considering putting them in daycare. Because once they're in daycare... they're going to catch something!

pretty much all this. we had our first baby in dec 2020, and the stressors were mainly 1) being in a hospital and 2) fending people off afterwards. 2 was by far much harder, and we had to be hard assess about boundaries and expectations. being in a hospital for a few days with strict masking protocol wasn’t amazing, but better than dealing with newborn-deprived in-laws and grandparents.

get boosted, be vigilant, don’t read too much of the Covid thread (despite it being a great resource).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

not covid but both of you, and anyone who will be around the newborn, needs to get a Tdap shot before baby comes