Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if you alreay heard this Tann but you got kind of namechecked by Justin Ma on Soren Johnson's Designer Notes podcast. The 'Unfair' difficulty in the new Into the Breach addon is named after the Slice & Dice difficulty (and he loves the game!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Osmosisch posted:

I don't know if you alreay heard this Tann but you got kind of namechecked by Justin Ma on Soren Johnson's Designer Notes podcast. The 'Unfair' difficulty in the new Into the Breach addon is named after the Slice & Dice difficulty (and he loves the game!)

That's so cool!

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
This game is just too addicting. The dopamine really flows when you realize that you can pick an item up to grab a crazy combo.

My last run was my team getting as much mana as possible with a duplicating 2 mana on everyone with x2 chain and then spamming the "deal 3 damage to top and bottom monsters" until everything died. Which worked great until my last boss was Hexia.

I somehow got it down to just Hexia and my mage. My mage cast a spell doing the 2 damage to kill her, and then he got mana burned to death. On the bright side, still seems to have counted as a win for me so that was a crazy way to end a run.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

The 'Unfair' difficulty in the new Into the Breach addon is named after the Slice & Dice difficulty (and he loves the game!)

Cool, thanks for the link! I remember opening up the itb update, seeing the new difficulty and thinking it was a funny coincidence.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Am I correct that a boosted growth side now keeps it's new extra high value?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

eonblue174 posted:

Am I correct that a boosted growth side now keeps it's new extra high value?

No. The boost still only lasts until end of turn.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Tann posted:

You can download an apk if you buy on itch
Real glad I read this before buying in the Android app.

As an aside, I feel like I might not have given this game a shot had I not played the free Betrayal at Club Low first. I wouldn't have expected to like this sort of dice game.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Wrote a quick thing to generate alterations to art, maybe this can be useful...

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

lost my 16 shortcut-normal streak by missing 33% odds with 9 consecutive rolls (~3% odds?). bound to happen eventually, but cartoon steam is still shooting out of my ears, and i'm firing my six-shooters into the air at this injustice

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tann posted:

:eyepop:

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Do 11+ level items only spawn for the various loop modes? I unlocked a t12 item and no idea how you're supposed to actually see it.
I was also very sad when I rolled a t10 item and got egg basket. Quite a niche pick.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Razakai posted:

Do 11+ level items only spawn for the various loop modes? I unlocked a t12 item and no idea how you're supposed to actually see it.
I was also very sad when I rolled a t10 item and got egg basket. Quite a niche pick.

You can get them on easy with a +item quality blessing. There are also anvil events where you can combine items into a random higher level one. Late game that can be a t13 item or such.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I love how quickly in each run items go from marginally useful to transformative. the gap between tier 4 and tier 6 items is just huge

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I picked this up and love it, but I suck bad at it. In a dozen easy playthroughs I have made it to the final boss once. Any basic tips?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

BitBasher posted:

I picked this up and love it, but I suck bad at it. In a dozen easy playthroughs I have made it to the final boss once. Any basic tips?

per the creator of the game:

Tann posted:

roll better, scrub

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

johnny park posted:

per the creator of the game:

One of the most important things to learn is when you need to roll better and when you need to stop before you roll worse.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

really though i think it's just a matter of playing more until you get comfortable with the enemy types and have learned which heroes/items suck (guardian) so you can avoid them. and a fair bit of luck

i honestly cant believe guardian made it through to 2.0 unchanged. he's so bad

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Aim bigger with your first roll. Play conservatively with your second (last) roll.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

BitBasher posted:

Number one tip: use the hell out of undo. If you're not sure how a turn will go, BEFORE burning your last reroll, dick around and try assigning some dice. Figure out which dice you like and which ones aren't necessary to your plan and could be re-rolled. Only suckers remember everything; let the game remember for you.

Number two tip: six is a pretty small number! And most dice have an X on the right anyhow! Before rerolling, look at every face on the die and articulate which faces you think would be better and which would be worse. It's easy to go zombie mode and reroll a die that's not especially good, missing that nothing else would actually be better right now.

Cleanse is mostly available on Red and Gray heroes and making sure you have access to it for the back half of a run is quite important. Sometimes you pass a good Red or Gray hero because you've already picked the other one and they don't have Cleanse. I'm a huge Fey fanboy but I'll sometimes pass her if I've already chosen a tier 2 Gray without cleanse.

Your items trigger in order: slot 1, then slot 2. You can use this to make busted combos. If you're mostly dying later in the game, you're probably not noticing busted poo poo that you can do. Maybe take a screenshot around floor 15 and we'll tell you how we'd put on your items.

It's important to make a reasonable effort to keep heroes alive so you get to roll their dice. However, when multiple enemies target a hero with very low health, it's sometimes good to think of that low hp hero as a "taunt"; if three dice are marking the hero and only one of them is needed to kill, it's like they're negating two dice for a turn, and getting to ignore those dice can be a big enough advantage to win. Coming back with half health is not actually that terrible!

Blue heroes are not necessarily the "strongest" of the colors, but as a new player, you should pretend that they 100% are, because making your top drafting/item choice/playing priority "How do I use my blue spell most optimally?" is correct as a rule a lot more than it isn't. (This is why Bolt is the best blessing!)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Mana is just so potent that maximizing your ability to use it effectively is going to get you far.

Love this game. Kind of bummed all my save data for erased when it updated. Not sure what that was about.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Tann posted:

I WANT IT NOW

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Another tip is don't try to overshield or overheal. Barring specific situations, I'd the hero is surviving that's enough and means everyone else (including that hero on the next turn!) can deal damage. the best defence is all the enemies being dead since that recovers everyone's hp

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Not spending mana unless it can be used to kill something or save a hero on that turn is a good strategy as well.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Not spending mana unless it can be used to kill something or save a hero on that turn is a good strategy as well.

You would think that "unless you'll lose it" goes without saying, but I have had to say that before so here we are.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Any basic tips?

hito posted:

good tips!
I agree with all of this ^

The only things I can think of to add are:

- Try resetting the tutorial to remind yourself and check if there's some important thing you missed or forgot.
- It sounds like easy is the perfect difficulty for you! If you get a lot better at the game and can almost win on hard, it doesn't become a much different/better game.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Pick twins and get wax seal ez

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Blursed mode is my absolute favorite new mode. All the joy of cursed, but just that little bit of blessing makes all the difference, shifting the ratio of headbanging to enjoyable runs. High score of 120 (Curse you, Hexia) compared to barely getting 60 in Cursed mode in the previous version.

One piece of advise: Just as rerolling an okay side to try for a great side and ending up with a blank or useless side is a newbie trap, so too is over focusing item choices on buffing your best sides. Items that replace all blank sides or fill in right sides are very valuable, because if a dice has no bad sides, than you can reroll that dice reaching for a great result. Powdered Mana (replace blank sides with +1 mana) is nearly an autopick for me. It opens up class choices, since a class with a lot of blank sides and a few good sides suddenly has a lot of okay sides and a few good sides. Evoker, for instance, goes from Great, good, okay, bad x3 to Great, good, okay x4. And that difference changes evoker from "Got a 1 mana side, good enough" to "Reroll until I see 2 or 3". And since most classes have at least one blank side, its not unusual for Powdered Mana to see use in fight 20, too.

Castor Root barely fits this, but I would be lying if I said I had never gotten use out of a minor heal in a tight fight. Still better than a blank.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

how do you unlock blursed mode? I don't have it yet and it sounds fun :)

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

someone awful. posted:

how do you unlock blursed mode? I don't have it yet and it sounds fun :)

You just need to lose a run of Cursed. Which requires you to beat Classic on Hard (or harder).

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Won a hard fight by picking exactly the opposite of what I would normally pick on a run. Figured that trying out all sorts of crazy poo poo might work. Twins with sushi and the l3 blue guy with all cantrip and the +1 to all side summon bone thing and a +1 reroll all sides must be rolled thing and holy poo poo did I have a lot of mana. Blew through Hexia by just murdering my side with burst. Not a single mob or good guy left alive at the end of the game.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I think I may have run into a weird math bug. Unless, I missed something this Charged side should be doing 17 damage (16+1) but instead it deals 15 (16-1?).

Paste is here:

`{c:[1322c,1311c,1825c,1383c,1625,18Z2,1764,1363,306,1422,1522,302,302,2052,2160,2273,4,1312c,1324c,18Z2,2031,2151,22Z2,4],d:{l:{b:true,m:[Dragon,Caw,Archer]},m:[Treasure-seeker,Fizzing,Mortal,Revive 3 hp,Horde,Sandstorm],n:19,p:{h:[Juggler~D~Sickle~Clay,Curator~Poseidon's Charm~Collar,Twin~Longsword~Droopy Hat,Tw1n~D,Witch~Ambrosia,Ace~Overflowing Chalice~Flickering Blade]}},p:[10],s:112444302,v:201r}`

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I think I may have run into a weird math bug.

Your curse "mortal" is causing this, I think maybe this curse-set generates too many bug reports and I should remove it...

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Oooh, my bad, I completely forgot I had it. Honestly you may want to consider removing just the first level or two or making them harsher, limiting characters to 15 pips seems to be completely ignorable (which is why I forgot I had it in the first place).

Otherwise I have to say the bigger variety of curses and blessings in this version is great. As mentioned upthread Blursed in particular is a blast.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I almost wonder if mortal should just have its own icon on the die in some way. Make the bar like jagged or broken, or something?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Thanks everyone! I can usually get late like 15+ then something outright annihilates me. I'll try to grab a screenshot on my next run.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Inceltown posted:

Won a hard fight by picking exactly the opposite of what I would normally pick on a run. Figured that trying out all sorts of crazy poo poo might work. Twins with sushi and the l3 blue guy with all cantrip and the +1 to all side summon bone thing and a +1 reroll all sides must be rolled thing and holy poo poo did I have a lot of mana. Blew through Hexia by just murdering my side with burst. Not a single mob or good guy left alive at the end of the game.

Great advice, I made it further than I had but got GOT by Hexia.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hexia having a wall of HP, reflected damage, AND mana burn is a fucker and I hate hexia more than any other boss now.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I don't have a paste or a screenshot, but I had a character that had all ones, I put on the item that gives everything plus one on the first turn, and The item that gives plus one to any side that is even. My thought would be it would get plus two the first turn, giving all sides plus three. But that didn't happen. I had the items in the correct order and I even tried swapping them just in case. But no go.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Finally got an Unfair win - so lucky to go into Sniper when my curse picks were Non-Boss Bones and Thorn, plus Broken Spirit. Ended on Hexia which ended up being so convenient for me with the Sniper dodging Pain Mirror.

Got some lucky rolls and stacked a massive amount of poison and damage on Hexia turn 1 and then clutched it out after they went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

RodShaft posted:

I don't have a paste or a screenshot, but I had a character that had all ones, I put on the item that gives everything plus one on the first turn, and The item that gives plus one to any side that is even. My thought would be it would get plus two the first turn, giving all sides plus three. But that didn't happen. I had the items in the correct order and I even tried swapping them just in case. But no go.
This is on my list of things to tinker with... I think it's confusing however I do it. Maybe I can make it use weaken/boost somehow.

Zodack posted:

Finally got an Unfair win
Nice! Broken Spirit warlock vs hexia must have died so fast.