Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lord Koth posted:

This devblog's just hilarious in how full of bullshit it is.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/377

Seriously, just read this section.

Just read those last two sentences and think about it for a moment.

Lol, “we never really finished working on subs or their balance against other ship classes, but we’re tired of this poo poo and just going to dump them in the game.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

General Battuta posted:

Up to 5, back down to 0 :shepicide:

I had a 60% wr in this ship, what is happening

just play battleships in tier 7 ranked, you don't necessarily win more than you would in destroyers but the games are much less frustrating

(even if you won less, there aren't really enough games in a ranked season to tell the difference)

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

colonelwest posted:

Lol, “we never really finished working on subs or their balance against other ship classes, but we’re tired of this poo poo and just going to dump them in the game.”

their handling and implementation of submarines at this point could be a good case study in sunk cost fallacy, "release them at all costs now I'm tired of this poo poo"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lord Koth posted:

This devblog's just hilarious in how full of bullshit it is.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/377

Seriously, just read this section.

Just read those last two sentences and think about it for a moment.

They also first state that it's OK that surface ships have a hard time damaging subs, because they can rely on teammates (and run away from subs, ignoring the fact that T10 subs are actually faster than most surface ships), and then later say that sub proxy spotting was removed because it felt bad for subs to get proxy spotted and have to rely on teammates to get them out of it.

It's insanely bad.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The Dev Blog about subs is genuinely hilarious. I mean who approved those words to be published?

I genuinely think there would be a place for subs in PvE/Ops only and that they could make enough cash from that to justify the time spent and "move on". The potential is there for interesting gameplay, it just doesn't mesh at all with the rest of the PvP game. Its difficult to imagine any amount of time, money or rebalancing changing that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Killed 5 people in a tier 8 sub (tier 10 game). -12 karma for that :getin:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Stanley Pain posted:

Killed 5 people in a tier 8 sub (tier 10 game). -12 karma for that :getin:

Uninstall

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Anyone else playing the Tier VI 1 vs. 1 Brawl?

It's like shooting fish in a barrel. I like the format. Don't have to rely on random idiots.

I'm not that good. Getting better. Just got to 1 star Bronze in Ranked. Trying to qualify for Silver.

I only play Kriegsmarine and Imperial German Navy Battleships.

:)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blow posted:

Anyone else playing the Tier VI 1 vs. 1 Brawl?

I didn't realize it was 1v1 because WoWS' poo poo-rear end client doesn't actually tell you the brawl rules anywhere, and queued up with the Bearn. Had a DD in my first match, and he was a nice guy so I just said I'd drive straight into cap and that he can just loving torpedo my rear end straight to hell.

E: in the next match I beat a DD with the Repulse. Dodged his torps at which point he just gave up. 750 000 credits, done with brawling.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Tier VI brawl, eh...I don't think I have any tech tree ships at that tier but maybe there's some goofy rear end premium lying around waiting for its turn.

Graf Spee? Graf Spee seems like it would eat poo poo to destroyers, unfortunately.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

General Battuta posted:

Tier VI brawl, eh...I don't think I have any tech tree ships at that tier but maybe there's some goofy rear end premium lying around waiting for its turn.

Graf Spee? Graf Spee seems like it would eat poo poo to destroyers, unfortunately.

Not if the DD sucks and runs right into Graf Spee’s torps for no reason!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blindeye posted:

Uninstall

Nah, it's one of the few games my blind rear end can play fairly well. I'm excited for Darktide because it looks like it might be playable for me ;)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I made it out of silver quals last night :toot:

13-8 for the day but had to get a string of wins in a row to actually hit six stars. Very frustrating, not sure why I do it to myself! Felt good to finish though.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Not if the DD sucks and runs right into Graf Spee’s torps for no reason!

This happens frequently enough that Graf Spee is actually not a bad choice. Really good angles for counter-torping.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im really contemplating selling my account since i dont think ill get any more out of this game. Someone else might enjoy the ships though.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Burns posted:

Im really contemplating selling my account since i dont think ill get any more out of this game. Someone else might enjoy the ships though.

How much?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I thought about that a couple years ago too - wasn't sure how to go about it though. I reckon my account is on the valuable end in terms of the amount of ships I have including stuff you can't get anymore. But it must be risky trying to organize this (from both party's perspectives).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

You can sell your account here https://www.playerauctions.com/world-of-warships-account/

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Don't listen to those whales trying to steal your ships.

Uninstall, wait a year, come back to it like everyone else. :haw:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Don't listen to those whales trying to steal your ships.

Uninstall, wait a year, come back to it like everyone else. :haw:

:lol: I was curious. I buy premium, but that's it. I just grind.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Random observation, but Bourgogne is so satisfying to play. I think it should 100% be the first steel pick of any player, unless you really hate BBs. The guns are "only" 15" but in reality they perform better than eg the German 16". Even aside from the reload booster, reload is good, arcs decent, pen very good, dispersion good. Can act as a very decent HE spammer if needed, can ambush and nuke with AP. Ship is fast, decently concealed, has above average AA for what thats worth. By far the best steel ship I have. My avg dmg is same as my Thunderer (which is considered absurdly OP), and my win rate is higher.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
French AP on the BBs punches well above its weight class.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

On the CAs and DDs too!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

T6 brawls and T7 silver ranked really highlight how lovely tech tree ships are at those tiers. I can't think of a single credits ship that performs well in either of those formats except uh...Fiji and Sinop? What am I forgetting? Renown does all right in brawls, I guess.

My ranked win rate in Marceau is 66% :stare: That's probably mostly luck since I've only done 100 games but it's a nice round number for a broke rear end ship.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sinop is the blessed golden God of T7 ranked, other stuff just doesn't come close. Maybe a couple of the DDs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Remember when WG said multiple times that the battle pass would not cut down on any current rewards and in fact would increase them across the board, and then kept saying it on their official streams?

Well they lied.

Shocking, I know.

E: also the latest brawl is 4v4 T6 with CVs and subs allowed. But ASW disabled for some bizarre reason?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 17, 2022

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

General Battuta posted:

I just watched a team throw from 999 points. We were up by a couple ships, some 500 points, and about one tick of the processor clock from winning when my team just...started dying. A Petro driven by some KSC guy pressed W and drove at my team, and they ran out in front of it, broadside on, one at a time, like they were auditioning for the role of 'doorknob' in No Country for Old Men. Yamato, Minotaur, Kearsarge, some destroyer, some other cruiser I forget, each of them just...sailing out and taking its turn to get blown away.

If we hadn't had an Oland that beached itself in a corner of the map and couldn't get unstuck, we would've lost the match completely, but it was still alive when the timer hit 0 and fortunately we were still up on points. I was losing my mind.

When the counter ticks up to like 900+ and the other team is far behind everyone just rushes in hitting left mouse button all the way trying to get a bit more damage to run up the silver and xp at the end.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: also the latest brawl is 4v4 T6 with CVs and subs allowed. But ASW disabled for some bizarre reason?

Lmao what the gently caress

There must be some kind of semi sane reason for this? Right?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

General Battuta posted:

They disabled ASW in modes that would not normally see subs like a year ago so that the extra useless buttons wouldn’t confuse people. It appears that they forgot that they did that and then dumped subs into those modes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

They fixed it by disabling subs in the brawl.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Shikashima or Incomparible as my next steel ship??

I have all the super ships so I am trending towards the gimmick RN bubby.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you have Satsuma it's a no brainer to get incomparable. Shiki is just "Worse satsuma." No idea why you'd ever want it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I generally agree, but Shiki has much better economy plus can run any captain on it. It also apparently has better AA somehow. I just bought Satsuma and will never get Shiki personally, but if you have neither it might be worth getting Shiki and then a different super BB.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Incomparable is the most hot-or-cold ship I own. It is tragic in the current backlining meta because you are forever trying to close the distance with your pitiful range. You eat damage like crazy because you've got zero armour and your healthpool is dogshit.

But then you get a game or two where they didn't manage to kill you before you got in among the backlines. Pumping steaming hot 20k+ loads into everything no matter what angle they've shown you with your amazing accurate guns. I don't really have normal games in the Incomp. It's either 0 kills or Krakens.

It is a really frustrating ship, the window where you can do damage is super tight but if you can keep in the zone it is incredible. Just accept that sometimes (most of the time...) the kiting BB at range with over-match is going to loving destroy you because it's a CV/Sub-permaspotted game and there was nothing you could ever have done about it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I re-download this once a year because I really enjoy both of the Halloween Operations.

So, is that it now, for this year? I saw the Twilight Battle things starting soon, but eh.

I totally burnt out on PvP and the grind in this game years ago.

I just enjoy my yearly pilgrimage with the superships in those missions. So as I ask is that over now.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Nope, still gently caress CVs. Subs are nothing when you're against a goddamn Eagle and your Salem def AA just tickles them whilst you're carpet bombed & spotted to death.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cancelbot posted:

Nope, still gently caress CVs. Subs are nothing when you're against a goddamn Eagle and your Salem def AA just tickles them whilst you're carpet bombed & spotted to death.

that reminds me I should take my enterprise out :smug:

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

It's so enraging, I got virtually one shotted by a Midway in my Mogador doing a full juke turn. I'm going to find a way to become head of Wargaming and delete them from the game. I could probably make some money if I figure out a way to taze people in the balls when they use a CV in a mode other than randoms.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I just had to rush down a pair of British CVs (I forget what they were called, my brain helpfully supplies 'Audible') and by the time I was inside 10 km their carpet bombers were arriving about as fast as my guns could cycle. Just popping those fuckers out like they had EMALS. I was in a Yorck so that was...a squadron every 10 seconds or so. Just wild.

Still killed them and the loving sub but god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I tried the Sub WOLFPACK operation and I am pleased to say subs are dogshit, I'm dogshit in a sub and that's the last I will be playing them. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.