Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Oh so I'm not the only person whot thought of 13 Ghosts during the Cenobite Trap House portion of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

doctorfrog posted:

Oh so I'm not the only person whot thought of 13 Ghosts during the Cenobite Trap House portion of the movie.

I was CONVINCED that it was going to turn out that the house was built to be a giant lament configuration box for whatever reason

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Medullah posted:

I was CONVINCED that it was going to turn out that the house was built to be a giant lament configuration box for whatever reason

Gah, you should be in charge of things then.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Hellraiser did just that with a satellite in space in Bloodline, and i was they were going to do it again. Instead....nothing, really.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

doctorfrog posted:

Same. Would've been cool.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The phrase “Cenobite Trap House” conjures a much cooler movie than this presumably is.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's also the name of my new dirtbag left horror movie podcast. Our first episode is about The Scary of Sixty-First.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Holy poo poo, on a whim I gave Welcome to Wrexham a go and soon I was 10 eps in and didn't want to go to bed. Oscillating wildly between bawling and cheering, far far better than it has any right to be.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think that they got a really good documentary crew on it. At least a decent part of the crew understood the risk of the series being one big self-suck and they really went all in on fleshing it out and making it interesting.

A great surprise.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Finished Raised By Wolves season 2, and learned afterwards that it won’t come back for a 3rd season. This sucks. I actually really liked this weird show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raised by Wolves was great, and wildly misunderstood/panned by people who thought it was supposed to be a riddle they were meant to solve, vs it just being some surreal, wild poo poo with a fun story. :rip:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

Raised by Wolves was great, and wildly misunderstood/panned by people who thought it was supposed to be a riddle they were meant to solve, vs it just being some surreal, wild poo poo with a fun story. :rip:

Yeah what was wrong with enjoying murder robot tittie mommy?

And the Mithraists. Praise the sun!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Yeah it was just a wild and crazy romp on a weird rear end planet. I wanted more seasons.

Also, the ending of season 2 with Grandmother putting our heroine to sleep in a pod reminded me of the end of Alien: Covenant when Walter puts Daniels in stasis. Mother and Daniels both deserved better.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Werewolf by Night was fun. It's only ~50 minutes long, and the MCU connection is pretty much limited to a 5 second reference at the very beginning. I'd recommend it if you like the retro monster movie thing, but it's pretty entertaining regardless and doesn't overstay its welcome.

veni veni veni posted:

Season 1 was a mystery that was sorta solved at the end. Season 2 was just wacky poo poo with an incoherent story. The idea that you were never supposed to care about the plot actually making any sort of sense feels more like a defense mechanism from people who just really wanted to like it.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I think the nice thing about a show like raised By Wolves is they can do literally whatever they want every episode so it's always entertaining and surprising as opposed to the way most shows do it now where they draw poo poo out as much as possible because all they care about is getting more seasons produced which results in some mediocre boring rear end poo poo.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

speaking of mediocre boring rear end poo poo, has anyone been watching reboot. I really want to like it but I just can't. they're already shoehorning romance plots into every character The zach and elaine romance is so stupid. and theres no will they or wont they magic between keegan michael key and judy greer. and rachel blooms awkward cant ask out a girl thing feels completely forced. they didn't space any of this stuff out and it feels unearned and unwanted. just do jokes the first season imo

edit the esther povitsky episode was funny tho

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 12, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

speaking of mediocre boring rear end poo poo, has anyone been watching reboot. I really want to like it but I just can't.

I think we talked about it a couple pages back. Despite the amazing cast, it's astounding how deeply unfunny it is.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I like how they had Kerri Kenney in an amusing relationship with Knoxville which they immediately ended and she was a foil for Zach as the helicopter mom but now she's just gone.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Glottis posted:

Mike Flanagan's next series, The Midnight Club is on Netflix now. I've watched each of his other ones multiple times and had to search for it to find it which is weird.

I'm a few episodes in and it's not as monologuey as his other stuff by far, but maybe it'll get there. Also not as creepy, but I'm enjoying it so far nonetheless.

Plenty of fun 90s alt rock needle drops too.

I'm pretty far in, and I'll be honest, I wish I could just skip to most of the stories. The frame story is aggressively OK and usually takes up over half the episode.

Basically, I was hoping it was more Are You Afraid of the Dark than it turned out being.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

Capfalcon posted:

I'm pretty far in, and I'll be honest, I wish I could just skip to most of the stories. The frame story is aggressively OK and usually takes up over half the episode.

Basically, I was hoping it was more Are You Afraid of the Dark than it turned out being.

I just finished Midnight Club, and I largely agree with you, although I thought the stories the characters told were generally better than the overall plot of the characters themselves. The big "shocking" twist at the end, I wasn't paying enough attention to the show I guess, because I had to look it up to see what it was indicating, and when I read the explanation was like, "Huh. Okay." Don't get me wrong, the histories of everyone were good and very emotionally gripping, but I just didn't care about Ilonka, so her being the main character just didn't work for me. She was (understandably) pretty dumb in her stubborn quest for a magical cure for cancer, and the story of Julia Jayne, the Paragon, Athena, etc was just fine.

I was also very annoyed by the amount of jump scares throughout the series too. So in that I agree with Glottis. It wasn't as creepy as Haunting of Hill House, just had a bunch of cheap jump scares. I was disappointed by that.

Overall the show was fine, but it didn't grip me like other Mike Flanagan series I've seen. I'd rank his series that I've seen so far as Haunting of Hill House > Midnight Mass > Haunting of Bly Manor > The Midnight Club. I'm still looking forward to his take on Fall of the House of Usher, though!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hill House was so drat good. I want to rewatch it knowing the twist from the get go and paying more attention to hidden ghosts

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hill House was so drat good. I want to rewatch it knowing the twist from the get go and paying more attention to hidden ghosts

Yeah it's an incredible show, some of those later scenes hit like a truck

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I know my taste generally sucks, but Hill House might be my favorite series on Netflix. I watch it every year, and could go on and on about it. It does have a very "stage production" feel at times with the monologues and acting style, but I love it despite not actually enjoying stage theater. It just feels like a massively fleshed out haunted house story in the best way.

Bare minimum, it's fun to find all the hidden ghosts (plainly visible if you are looking for them, but not acknowledged). I think the first one is like 50 seconds into the show. And when they all come together at the end, see if you noticed them all.

Mike Flanagan says he thinks jump scares are cheap, but in Hill House the car jump scare is pretty legendary. I think I had a heart attack.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 13, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just finished season 2 of Righteous Gemstones. God I love that show. I know they're doing one more season. Hope it's the last and we get a new Danny McBride show.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

raven77 posted:

I just finished Midnight Club, and I largely agree with you, although I thought the stories the characters told were generally better than the overall plot of the characters themselves. The big "shocking" twist at the end, I wasn't paying enough attention to the show I guess, because I had to look it up to see what it was indicating, and when I read the explanation was like, "Huh. Okay." Don't get me wrong, the histories of everyone were good and very emotionally gripping, but I just didn't care about Ilonka, so her being the main character just didn't work for me. She was (understandably) pretty dumb in her stubborn quest for a magical cure for cancer, and the story of Julia Jayne, the Paragon, Athena, etc was just fine.

I was also very annoyed by the amount of jump scares throughout the series too. So in that I agree with Glottis. It wasn't as creepy as Haunting of Hill House, just had a bunch of cheap jump scares. I was disappointed by that.

Overall the show was fine, but it didn't grip me like other Mike Flanagan series I've seen. I'd rank his series that I've seen so far as Haunting of Hill House > Midnight Mass > Haunting of Bly Manor > The Midnight Club. I'm still looking forward to his take on Fall of the House of Usher, though!

I'm about halfway through and agree with all of you. The story parts are pretty good, even the overall plot, but all the characters are obnoxious and cartoonishly one-dimensional. Every single one seemed like just a check box on a list of character archetypes.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The phrase “Cenobite Trap House” conjures a much cooler movie than this presumably is.

Music snobs mumbling about how cenobite trap house is so 2015.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Once-relevant and now unceasingly lovely cultural criticism outlet the AV Club just put out a thing about The Midnight Club. I haven't seen the show, so I'm not qualified to speak about their take on it. I do hate them very, very, very much. However, I enjoy the term "Flanaverse". So my feelings about the piece are a mixed bag.

https://www.avclub.com/mike-flanagan-tv-horror-netflix-the-midnight-club-1849642204

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched the first two episodes of midnight club and it felt like it has both sides of Flanagan in it. The production is really good and the stories are cool and atmospheric, but so much of the dialogue and characters just feel juvenile and corny as hell. The jump scares are dumb too but the show is fun anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All of his stuff has felt pretty juvenile to me. It's not bad or anything, but I dunno. I have never fully warmed up to his style. The one with the priest got increasingly stupid as time went on.

Glottis posted:

Season 1 was a mystery that was sorta solved at the end. Season 2 was just wacky poo poo with an incoherent story. The idea that you were never supposed to care about the plot actually making any sort of sense feels more like a defense mechanism from people who just really wanted to like it.

I don't really agree, but I don't think you aren't totally off base. Like, yeah the amount of random rear end weirdness was off the charts, but that is really the stuff that doesn't need explaining imo. The basic story of the characters adjusting to a new camp and most of the poo poo surrounding it was never hard to follow and generally stayed pretty interesting. The drama/conflict aspect of it worked fine I think. The ending was unfortuante for sure and I don't know what they were thinking with that, when they must have known it was possible the show would be cancelled.

Overall season 1 was a lot better though. I do agree with that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Once-relevant and now unceasingly lovely cultural criticism outlet the AV Club just put out a thing about The Midnight Club. I haven't seen the show, so I'm not qualified to speak about their take on it. I do hate them very, very, very much. However, I enjoy the term "Flanaverse". So my feelings about the piece are a mixed bag.

Yeah, I've seen the full show, and that piece was kind of a nothing tbh. Plus there are grammatical, structural and vocab errors throughout, but the by-line is just embarrassing in a written publication.

The AV Club posted:

Mike Flanagan's string of hit series, including his latest gem The Midnight Club, provide chills and thrills while rarely resorting to tropes

Ah yes. :airquote: tropes :airquote:

But that's what happens with management nickels and dimes, and anyone with any real vision is pushed out.

FWIW I liked the show. It could absolutely have done with an editor, but it's willing to go for different tones within each of its substories, and has fun with its stuff. Many of the stories-within-stories are as much a commentary on writing, and frequently kinda suck on purpose -- e.g. using Mary Sues, or belaboring the point in the way their characters would do -- something the show mines for both comedy and dramatic characterisation. Plus, they're enjoyably flexible with tone. loving loved the comedy noir episode, it looked gorgeous and everyone clearly had a lot of fun.

The weakness is in the show's connective narrative, which is slow and very obvious. It also ends on a cliffhanger, which marked a frustrating lack of development in its overall narrative. But, at the same time, I liked the characters, and it made me cry. Some of it was genuinely powerful. But it's not up on the level of Midnight Mass / the best parts of Hill House. It's mostly on the level of most of Hill House, IMO. A lot, lot better than the second one though, the Turning of the Screw adaptation.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
She Hulk's final episode was today. I liked the finale. Things build up to a final battle between She-Hulk, Hulk, Hulk-King, Titania, and the Intelligencia when Jenn breaks the fourth wall and says, wait, this doesn't feel right, and climbs into the Disney Plus menu and leaps into a making of feature where she goes to Disney Studios, confronts the writers for hackneyed writing, and fights through security to get to Kevin Feige where it's revealed that he's simply an AI. She calls him out on a fight sequence that makes no sense, how it hits too many tropes that have been heavily featured in the MCU so far, asks for a different ending, and asks when the X-Men are finally coming. K.E.V.I.N. declines to answer the X-Men question, but hints at an upcoming Hulk movie. Then she goes back into the show where there is no big fight, the guy who became Hulk King ended up never getting any powers, and he and the Intellgencia are all arrested. Abomination goes back to prison for using his powers against his release agreement (although Wong breaks him out). Jenn ends the season with a dinner with her family and Matt Murdock, and Hulk shows up with his son Skaar, and the show ends.

Overall I really liked the show, although I'm not sure if it had worked as well without the impeccable Tatiana Maslaney. Even though the She-Hulk CGI was inconsistent, ranging from quite good to terribly bad (mostly depending on the lighting), her performance always came through. I really noticed it in this episode with even just her facial expressions, which were very reminiscent of all the subtle things she did in Orphan Black and her many, many, many characters there. I could have gone with more jokes, they should have brought in a few comedians to punch up the scripts a bit, but I think the show was successful with what they were trying to do.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hill House was as close to perfect a horror show has ever been, in my eyes. Not a single wasted moment or episode.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nihonniboku posted:

She Hulk's final episode was today. I liked the finale. Things build up to a final battle between She-Hulk, Hulk, Hulk-King, Titania, and the Intelligencia when Jenn breaks the fourth wall and says, wait, this doesn't feel right, and climbs into the Disney Plus menu and leaps into a making of feature where she goes to Disney Studios, confronts the writers for hackneyed writing, and fights through security to get to Kevin Feige where it's revealed that he's simply an AI. She calls him out on a fight sequence that makes no sense, how it hits too many tropes that have been heavily featured in the MCU so far, asks for a different ending, and asks when the X-Men are finally coming. K.E.V.I.N. declines to answer the X-Men question, but hints at an upcoming Hulk movie. Then she goes back into the show where there is no big fight, the guy who became Hulk King ended up never getting any powers, and he and the Intellgencia are all arrested. Abomination goes back to prison for using his powers against his release agreement (although Wong breaks him out). Jenn ends the season with a dinner with her family and Matt Murdock, and Hulk shows up with his son Skaar, and the show ends.

Overall I really liked the show, although I'm not sure if it had worked as well without the impeccable Tatiana Maslaney. Even though the She-Hulk CGI was inconsistent, ranging from quite good to terribly bad (mostly depending on the lighting), her performance always came through. I really noticed it in this episode with even just her facial expressions, which were very reminiscent of all the subtle things she did in Orphan Black and her many, many, many characters there. I could have gone with more jokes, they should have brought in a few comedians to punch up the scripts a bit, but I think the show was successful with what they were trying to do.

The last episode was the best one by far and actually pretty clever for a show that wasn't as clever as it thought it was. Overall though, the season was pretty forgettable.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Midnight Club is hot garbage and I loved Hill House so take that however

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I dont mind midnight club but it's dragging its feet so hard and full flanaganisms. If you thought midnight mass was some peak Flanagan he deffo did a "hold my beer" bit on this one. The acting isn't also as good as Mass so it's more noticeable imo. Honestly the central gimmick of the kids telling each other stories is the worst part of the show lol just give me more of the spooky cult stuff

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

She Hulk is by far the best Marvel thing in forever and def worth a watch. I can only hope they actually make more episodes next season, as I'd love to have a legal show that actually has a lot of legal cases.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I'd like to see more She-Hulk but It feels like every MCU TV show they make is just to tie into the next show or movie DareDevil & the adventures of Wongers and Abomination then abandoned.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

If I thought Midnight Mass was terrible is there any luck I’d like Hill House? I’m aware I have the unpopular opinion on MM

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

roomtwofifteen posted:

If I thought Midnight Mass was terrible is there any luck I’d like Hill House? I’m aware I have the unpopular opinion on MM

I addressed this in my post above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed She-Hulk despite having overall rather soured on marvel stuff. I guess it's because in the low-stakes, case-of-the-week context of the show, the usual quippy MCU tone actually works in its favour instead of being a distraction. It's still extremely on the nose about what it's going for, but I guess they gotta work with the audience they got. Plus Tatiana Masalny is having a lot of fun, and some of the meta gimmicks were actually borderline clever.