Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Right, but I feel like I haven't seen Pizza Overlord in a while in general. I guess it makes sense that Sub Hub would be in more of the spotlight though.

A fair point.

Didn't Pizza Overlord go bankrupt because of Roger's jingle?

Now I can't remember the last time they showed Pizza Overlord so maybe that was cannon? At this point I assume everything is cannon in this show until proven otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, a different restaurant went bankrupt after they hired Roger because of his Pizza Overlord jingle.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
That whole episode is amazing but I do particularly love the idea that Gene and Sue's Seafood Shack actually paid for a commercial to play Roger's jingle about how they went out of business.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think it's more that roger made it an ad for his jingle business

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Never forget Gene & Sue's Seafood Shack (now with 3 locations!)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47-nXRW5s8g

Didn't see this on the site so I figured it had to be done.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Roger just wearing clothes without a persona was weird.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FireWorksWell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47-nXRW5s8g

Didn't see this on the site so I figured it had to be done.

Thank you for doing the needful.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Orlando, you just got Dad’ed.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

muscles like this! posted:

Roger just wearing clothes without a persona was weird.

I'm pretty sure Roger has been that persona before but with a name, not that I know what it was or what context it was in.

Zero One posted:

Orlando, you just got Dad’ed.

Nobody's safe!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm pretty sure Roger has been that persona before but with a name, not that I know what it was or what context it was in.

Nobody's safe!

Roger's personas tend to have hair.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Hailey randomly running into Rogu in the hallway was my favorite part.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I've finally caught up, this new season's been knocking it out of the park, or at least the last few episodes. Season loving eighteen.

quote="Space Cadet Omoly" post="526886074"]
Thank you for doing the needful.
[/quote]

The fact that someone didn't is definitely Tiffany's boyfriend.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The ball graphically killing Stan's coach, and then doing it to the other guy 30 seconds later was incredible.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Kwyndig posted:

Roger's personas tend to have hair.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the one at the hotel.

Nichael posted:

The ball graphically killing Stan's coach, and then doing it to the other guy 30 seconds later was incredible.

American Dad is still pretty awesome at gore. :haw:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

TheFattestPat posted:

Hailey randomly running into Rogu in the hallway was my favorite part.

yeah, I don't know why I found that so funny

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao at Francine's portapotty adventure. Was that Jeff at the end in the warehouse?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just saw the soso's episode. I loved it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, that was a really good episode. I love Steve’s teacher and his weird intensity; hopefully he comes back again.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Episode was a miss for me, which is fine, there's usually at least one per season that I only sort of like.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I need a gif of the pop fly taking out that guy's face, that was amazing.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

FireWorksWell posted:

I've finally caught up, this new season's been knocking it out of the park, or at least the last few episodes. Season loving eighteen.
On wikipedia, this is listed as American Dad's 336th episode. For reference, King of the Hill and South Park have yet to reach this milestone, Family Guy got there in 2019, and The Simpsons achieved this in 2004, a few months before the first airing of AmDad's pilot

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember it was 2010 when I first realized American Dad had never gotten canceled like I'd thought and I decided to check it out. I was like "how is there this much of a show I saw in passing like, once, ten years ago"

Well here wel are, folks. What the gently caress happened

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

once the continued hideous existence of The Simpsons became so depressing that even old episodes take on a hue of sadness, this show probably replaced it in many peoples' regular rotation

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Watched a video today that posited the show would have been canceled if they hadn't switched out pitch pilot Steve for Show Steve. Honestly, I believe it, that early Steve was awful.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Are there interesting dives into American Dad on YT that are worth checking out?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Brawnfire posted:

I remember it was 2010 when I first realized American Dad had never gotten canceled like I'd thought and I decided to check it out. I was like "how is there this much of a show I saw in passing like, once, ten years ago"

Well here wel are, folks. What the gently caress happened

For me I got really into this show back in the early part of last decade. I needed something easy to digest and funny and I chose family guy. After a few episodes I got to an episode where the whole joke was "Brian slept with a trans woman and is grossed out" and even though I wasn't as well informed about that topic as I am today, I found that offensive. Seeing American Dad as an alternative, I decided to give it a shot even though the first few episodes after it premiered some years before left me unimpressed, because "surely it cannot be worse than that." And here we are.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kwyndig posted:

Watched a video today that posited the show would have been canceled if they hadn't switched out pitch pilot Steve for Show Steve. Honestly, I believe it, that early Steve was awful.

Oh yeah, no one could have tolerated listening to that voice for more than a single season.

Steve was also the only character who's design radically changed as well. Shout out to whoever pushed for those changes, you made the right call and we thank you for your service.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i hadnt seen the pilot before and wow i hate pilot steve

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Are there interesting dives into American Dad on YT that are worth checking out?

I would love something that analyzes why this show works, and is bizarrely consistent for an insane length of time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nichael posted:

I would love something that analyzes why this show works, and is bizarrely consistent for an insane length of time.

It keep reinventing itself but keeping the core cast the same and true to their personalities. They've been talking up these parts of their lives that seem counter to their core since season one and now we suddenly just get told they weren't bullshitting. If we met Klaus's boys in season 9 it would have been lame. But season 19? Holy poo poo foreshadowing.

You have a lot of mostly predictable characters with Roger as a wild card for good and evil he is chaos. I don't think it works without him but I also think his role is to let the other characters shine. He brings out the best in them through terrible means.

do blog pod castings make money still? Should the thread make this deep dive?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Neeksy posted:

I need a gif of the pop fly taking out that guy's face, that was amazing.

Edit bonus:

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 13, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I've said it before and will keep ssying it. This show does gruesome violence so well and somehow makes it funny.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fan of how the hair moves right when the ball passes through his face and his hat falls off, it add JUST the right amount of detail to give a sense of force while also keeping the head stationary for the gag to sell.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Neeksy posted:

I'm a fan of how the hair moves right when the ball passes through his face and his hat falls off, it add JUST the right amount of detail to give a sense of force while also keeping the head stationary for the gag to sell.

I love the glasses breaking that's the selling detail of just enough going on but still simple enough to distract you from the delayed timing so you don't miss the joke. Like his head has a hole in it if you keep watching but enough stuff goes down your eyes follow. I think removing the hat ball or glasses would prevent this and ruin the joke.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah they could have oversold and overanimated the impact, but letting all the extra details give off that sense of impact rather than making the head and body move gives it that kind of weird stark action that you have to process for a second what actually just happened and the horror dawns on you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Beans...? In a salad...?

...okay...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm still laughing whenever I think of Klaus' truck nuts

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Davros1 posted:

I'm still laughing whenever I think of Klaus' truck nuts

Latter at so-so's pizza you can see that every car in the parking lot has truck nuts. Apparently they're extremely popular in Langley Falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

What's with Frank and the schedule?!