Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the most enduring legacy of scott pilgrim is typecasting kieran culkin as a gay sociopath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Riot Bimbo posted:

man when did nerd poo poo start being cool

i noticed the change was underway in 2007 but it still felt like subculture instead of pop culture

Halo: Combat Evolved

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Whoolighams posted:

Green Room is one of those extend panic stress movies like what some people think of Uncut Gems and probably fits with Hereditary under "great but don't know if I want to watch again"

also has an absolute s-tier final line

Mother! is this movie for me, though admittedly I haven't seen anything that you mentioned. Spent the entire movie waiting for a huge gut punch twist that didn't come until the final minute, and got my rear end kicked by lots of smaller punches instead.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mother! Sucks!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the korean movie mother was pretty cool

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

man when did nerd poo poo start being cool

i noticed the change was underway in 2007 but it still felt like subculture instead of pop culture

Hot Karl Marx posted:

big bang theory

Summer of 2008

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Big Bang Theory lol. lmao. poo poo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't have a link because it was a push notification, but apparently Kanye was on Lebron James's show but they couldn't use the footage because he kept doing hate speech on camera

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

thats old kanye news, this is todays update

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1580299530205302784

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Sunk cost fallacy Kanye fan voice: alright well maybe he was just expressing the love in his heart that he has as a Christian for all men towards Hitler.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlie...sh=3fdaee7a2057

quote:

In one unaired clip, West claimed that “fake children”—who he said were professional actors–had been placed in his home to manipulate and “sexualize” his four children with former wife Kim Kardashian, adding one of the alleged imposters was the “so-called son” of an associate, according to Motherboard.

this dude needs help.

Also this part was funny

quote:

West mentioned Jews again when he compared Black people judging each other for “how white we could talk” to a hypothetical situation in which there was a “Jewish person judging another Jewish person on how good they danced or something,” before saying viewers would likely be offended by his statement and adding he’d like for it to be cut from the broadcast.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

i say swears online posted:

what zoomers think the goth era was:

what it actually was:

I wish I bought this shirt before he stopped making it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

is that a rory blank

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

andor continues to be incredible btw. bafflingly good

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

is that a rory blank

Branson Reese

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RandolphCarter posted:

drat, i seen a lot of king of the hill but not that episode lmao. Sounds like an all-timer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

new kind of cat posted:

drat, i seen a lot of king of the hill but not that episode lmao. Sounds like an all-timer

"A Fire Fighting We Will Go", third season. it's pretty special because it was before they got more gimmick-y later on

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Rewatched The Blair Witch Project for the first time in at least 20 years. Still an incredibly effective horror movie with really naturalistic performances. It makes me think of the wilderness horror stories of Algernon Blackwood in that it hits very specific beats for that type of story and steadily dials up the tension in a very similar way. Except for the original version of Rec I've never seen another good found footage horror, but Blair Witch just has such good pacing and restraint.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

Scott Pilgrim era was like the last time being in a rock band was a cool thing people really wanted to do, I feel

Zoomer rock bands are a thing and it feels like more are women led than previous generations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc6SSu5pnHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBuOJF_rX40

Farm Frenzy posted:

scott pilgrim feels insanely of its time but i think zoomers like it

the discussion of how that lifestyle is impossible now must make it sort of aspirational for them

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

RandolphCarter posted:

lol

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bro Dad posted:

thats old kanye news, this is todays update

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1580299530205302784

Is someone being paid to bust his lip or otherwise fight him every day? What is with the multiple times over grown split lip, continuous face bruises and wearing a mouth guard all the time?

Other than "he's off his loving rocker".

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Crain posted:

Is someone being paid to bust his lip or otherwise fight him every day? What is with the multiple times over grown split lip, continuous face bruises and wearing a mouth guard all the time?

Other than "he's off his loving rocker".

one of the chapo boys was claiming he's getting some kind of micro-lipo face surgery

also probably what makes Elon look so lumpy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh drat jowls would really gently caress ye up wouldn't they

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if true i wonder if he submits to sedation surgery or they gotta do it live

edit: for non-kanye people his mom Donda died under the knife for unnecessary surgery, available to her due to the money that he got from being famous. it hosed him up

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i dont understand the theater handjob. you gonna walk around with cum in your underpants or what

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Rewatched The Blair Witch Project for the first time in at least 20 years. Still an incredibly effective horror movie with really naturalistic performances. It makes me think of the wilderness horror stories of Algernon Blackwood in that it hits very specific beats for that type of story and steadily dials up the tension in a very similar way. Except for the original version of Rec I've never seen another good found footage horror, but Blair Witch just has such good pacing and restraint.

BWP def holds up and has a stellar ending. i first watched it when i was 10 and literally didn’t sleep all night. i went onto letterboxd the other day to read what people thought and man all the top “reviews” are so awful. didn’t realixe it was so divisive! REC is amazing too,

as for others —— Hell House LLC is p fun and good i thought, Creep is decent though maybe not horror, i also liked the first two V/H/S movies too

not horror but Man Bites Dog is really great but i saw that like 10+ years ago now christ

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Oct 13, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

andor continues to be incredible btw. bafflingly good

Look, I watched the first three episodes, and it was very solid and had the kind of production people actually expect when they hear that Disney is doing something with a flagship production, but, like, there's some super dumb / clichéd poo poo going on. My main takeaway is that it's good for D+, but it's not something that rises above, you know, maybe a 7/10.

DUMB: The room with all the engines that are hanging from the roof, seemingly for the sole purpose of rube goldberging around the place during an action sequence. (actually, if there's an explanation for this that's either obvious, or was included and I missed it, I'd genuinely love to hear it, but holy poo poo this was bananas to me).

BAD: the love triangle poo poo in the first three episodes, including the way it's resolved. Seen it a billion times before, not good. Andor himself is kind of just a nothing of a character, too. Most of his friends are even less than that, some of them aren't even characters, and that speech Fiona Shaw gives was super derivative and silly, and could probably go under "DUMB" as well as "BAD".

The portrayal of the villains is legitimately great, and the main thing that's kept me going with the show at this point.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

DUMB: The room with all the engines that are hanging from the roof, seemingly for the sole purpose of rube goldberging around the place during an action sequence. (actually, if there's an explanation for this that's either obvious, or was included and I missed it, I'd genuinely love to hear it, but holy poo poo this was bananas to me).
mediocre setpiece in a movie, above average in a tv show. my least favorite scene in the series so far. legit criticism

BAD: the love triangle poo poo in the first three episodes, including the way it's resolved. Seen it a billion times before, not good. Andor himself is kind of just a nothing of a character, too. Most of his friends are even less than that, some of them aren't even characters, and that speech Fiona Shaw gives was super derivative and silly, and could probably go under "DUMB" as well as "BAD".

that poo poo happened so quickly i barely noticed. i didn't even catch it was a love triangle; i thought the hot chick and otherdude were siblings lol

The portrayal of the villains is legitimately great, and the main thing that's kept me going with the show at this point.

i disagree that they're the main villains, but do agree that the actors are loving fantastic, all three of them; Inspector, Deputy and Sergeant. the sergeant was on the bad side in south africa in the 80s though lol

anyway you got to where the show went from decent to excellent, at least give it another ep

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

his mom Donda died under the knife for unnecessary surgery, available to her due to the money that he got from being famous. it hosed him up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gift of the mad ye

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

anyway you got to where the show went from decent to excellent, at least give it another ep

Oh yeah, I'm not planning on giving up on it. I just think, not to yuck anyone's yum here, that the hype in no way lives up to the reality of the show. Or, at least, the stuff other people value in the show isn't what I value.

The stuff it does solidly -- clear, purposeful writing, an interest in theme, actual loving clear editing -- is done in a way that's vanishingly rare among it's D+ peers. That at least gets my respect, since the corporate bulldozer is seemingly loving obsessed with crushing anything like that out of all its incompetently handled productions.

Simultaneously, I think the first three episodes are poorly structured and I found the characters largely unimpressive. The soldiers work for me because I appreciate the way it's commenting on the facism's simultaneous violence and incompetence. The Blue Eyed Boy is an awkward dork that can only interact with people in ways that emphasise his power over them, his second in command is stupid and lazy (in exactly the way Blue Eyes finds contemptible about his bosses), and the "good" one, Rupert Vansittart's character, is explicitly motivated by turning a blind eye to literally anything in the benefit of a quiet, punch-clock life.

(Generally, the interest in what quotidian Star Wars life would be like is something I really appreciate.)

Conversely, I don't have much to say about Cassian other than he's a loser with missing sister trauma, and Fiona Shaw / Adria Arjona / Stellan Starsgard are just loose Obi Wan / Han Solo / Leia riffs at this point, with maybe four scenes a piece over the course of two plus hours. I really don't care about them, beyond how sexy I find them and their acting resumés.

I'm absolutely holding this show to a standard that's a bit unfair, but I guess that's partly my reaction to the hype, and partly my reaction to the Mouse's stranglehold on culture. But, like I said, I'll stick with it. I guess it's just that I'm being a bit of a loving nerd even tempered about it all.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk. Try the veal.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

if true i wonder if he submits to sedation surgery or they gotta do it live

edit: for non-kanye people his mom Donda died under the knife for unnecessary surgery, available to her due to the money that he got from being famous. it hosed him up
She died due to lipo complications and ye blame s himself for recommending her iirc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i just realized i read all your 3000-word essay on why it's decent and got mad at your D+ grade of the show. ugh

why the gently caress would an executive name their premier content service D+

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

i just realized i read all your 3000-word essay on why it's decent and got mad at your D+ grade of the show. ugh

why the gently caress would an executive name their premier content service D+

they're compensating :smuggo:

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

MeatwadIsGod posted:

i've never seen the movie and the trailer was enough to gently caress up my sleep for days as a teen

there's another found-footage one called Incident in Lake County that actually came out a year before Blaire that also messed me up. mostly cause I hate alien abduction stories

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i went onto letterboxd the other day to read what people thought and man all the top “reviews” are so awful. didn’t realixe it was so divisive! REC is amazing too,

i think there's a lot of goony snob nerds out there who hate popular thing because it's a popular thing.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

i dont understand the theater handjob. you gonna walk around with cum in your underpants or what

yes

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
armond white is the only movie critic worth a drat

only about movies though ONLY MOVIES*

*as a joke

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Cum in pants, a fate worse than death??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

humans are depraved and there are people who like their cum to go just about anywhere you can think of