Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

Most miniatures can do with a rinse in soapy water. It's not always necessary, but man when it is and you don't do it you'll be a sad panda.
:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Fair point, I suppose it only takes a minute and can't hurt.

I have to say, though, that the first non-tank models I assembled from this manufacturer were hard plastic (a British Rifle Company) and were noticeably better than these thermoplastic models. Almost no flash, just had to trim the sprue gates. The thermoplastics are covered in flash which is really frustrating to trim off compared to hard plastic or metal models, it leaves kind of feathery hangnails. And smaller bits tend to get squashy or bendy.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Battlefront have been mucking about with different materials for ages now along with drastically reducing their ranges to try and make it more financially viable to produce what they do. Thermoplastic is a replacement for metal models since white metal got a lot more expensive recently.

It’s a real shame, because they used to produce the largest range of 15mm WW2 models, with some really esoteric stuff included. I think the move to 4th edition was a positive rules-wise, but a huge negative in terms of the massive narrowing of available units.

Except for the Nazis of course :rolleye:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The funny thing is, for the kinds of low-run stuff they used to be great for resin casting is actually the cheapest option anyway. They kind of cannibalised their own success and ended up being what they are now. It's also funny that they talk about having a "Thermoplastic" when their injection moulded stuff is also thermoplastic anyway. Entertainingly they seem to be speedrunning the Games Workshop trajectory, so expect them to start dropping really sweet starter boxes any day now.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How are the TY sets? I'm likely to order two T-80 starters and some infantry soonish.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

gently caress, accidentally :f5: and lost my post.

If you're asking about T80s gameplay-wise I have no clue, if you're asking about model quality BF plastics are pretty nice. I prefer them to the older resin models because the detail is sharper and they don't chip when they inevitably get bumped around.

If you have access to an FDM printer they can spit out vehicles firmly in 'good enough' territory for a lot cheaper. I blasted off some m_bergman armor in layer heights varying from .15 to .25 and it looked decent once primed and painted. It's not BF quality but from a couple feet away you can't really tell a difference.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah it's embarrassingly easy to crank out any armor from the 20th century if you have a 3d printer. The tricky path is finding infantry.

I'm not as familiar with TY, that has infantry stands right?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The only battle of rourkes drift Glazer's River I'll ever recognize! :orks:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah it's the sculpts I'm referring to. I've not built a Battlefront Mini in forever and wondering how they hold up vs the competiton. I have access to a 3d printer but not for often as I'm away a lot at the moment. My hobby is done via small cases in hotel rooms after work!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah it's embarrassingly easy to crank out any armor from the 20th century if you have a 3d printer. The tricky path is finding infantry.

Turner Miniatures currently has Soviet & Warpac infantry and is doing a NATO kickstarter later this year that will be perfect for this scale.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Alternatively, I have a sampler pack of Picoarmory's 3mm modern infantry and armor coming in the mail today, so I'm excited to see how hilariously tiny it is. If it seems feasible/usable, it's pretty crazy cheap, like $4 for 15 tanks.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Slyphic posted:

Anyone here have recommended links for Cruel Seas houserules?

May I suggest:

Action Stations by A&A. It's an older wargame, but it covers the same small ships as Cruel Seas without as many gamey abstractions.

The Quick and the Dead, available on Wargames Vault. It's an odd game - very loose, very abstract, almost an rpg in some ways, also covering small ships. It's odd, but it is a LOT of fun.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Arquinsiel posted:

Entertainingly they seem to be speedrunning the Games Workshop trajectory, so expect them to start dropping really sweet starter boxes any day now.

The FoW starter boxes have been stupidly good deals for a while now. The WW2 one is like 50 points a side of mixed tanks and infantry for about £50. The army boxes also aren't too bad but aren't quite as wildly good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah you can split a couple Hit The Beach boxes with a friend and get a pretty decent army for like $50 each

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

3D printing and etsy shops really seems like the future for historicals outside of mainstream WW2 stuff. I think I could probably print an entire Flames of War army out of 1 bottle of resin over a weekend. The stuff is just so particular and big huge print runs of parts seems like a pain.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It’s still a level of technical literacy beyond most consumers to download, slice and print STL files, but maybe. I still prefer hand sculpted models cast in metal personally, but I know I’m in the tiny minority.

Speaking of, I recently bought some of Forged in Battle’s 15mm 3rd century Romans, which I’m really looking forward to.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Tias posted:

The only battle of rourkes drift Glazer's River I'll ever recognize! :orks:

I have the issue of white dwarf with that battle report from when i was a kid. One of the best I can remember reading.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Endman posted:

It’s still a level of technical literacy beyond most consumers to download, slice and print STL files, but maybe. I still prefer hand sculpted models cast in metal personally, but I know I’m in the tiny minority.

Speaking of, I recently bought some of Forged in Battle’s 15mm 3rd century Romans, which I’m really looking forward to.

I haven't seen any 3d printed 15mm that appeal to me, and any 3d printed 28mm black powder era stuff I have seen look goofy. I still much prefer professionally sculpted minis though I also prefer plastic :shobon:

In the grand scheme of things historical gaming is so cheap that making it even cheaper (per unit, since 3d printing and the time/frustration involved is still a cost) for something that doesn't look as good isn't worth it yet.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

alg posted:

I haven't seen any 3d printed 15mm that appeal to me, and any 3d printed 28mm black powder era stuff I have seen look goofy. I still much prefer professionally sculpted minis though I also prefer plastic :shobon:

In the grand scheme of things historical gaming is so cheap that making it even cheaper (per unit, since 3d printing and the time/frustration involved is still a cost) for something that doesn't look as good isn't worth it yet.

I think Piano Wargames is worth checking out as a benchmark for what's possible today in 28mm Napoleonics STLs. His minis are a delight.

https://pianowargames.de/

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

literally the only way i got back into wargaming was with 3d printing. no way i could justify to myself otherwise. personal experience but preparing files and post-print clean up is trivially easy.

the cost savings is huge, for me getting a pack of 5 battletech minis to my door is like $50-$60 depending on exchange rate and shipping. to print 5 i use about $2-$3 worth of resin. i have a huge pile of like 300 ww2 dudes in 12 mm i printed to experiment with that cost me about $10, i'm now thinking i'm gonna play 6 mm instead (as noted by my prototype terrain above) so i may just toss all those 12 mm dudes. no sweat, but if i had paid retail for them they'd form some growing leadpile (plasticpile) that i'd never paint and feel guilty about constantly. right now i'm looking at printing 2 whole blucher armies in 2 mm for like $20 (that's with about 40x 75 mm square bases as well)

plus all the terrain (mostly buildings) i've printed for my scratchbuild terrain boards. 3d printing is a godsend for modern tabletop gaming imo

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

lilljonas posted:

I think Piano Wargames is worth checking out as a benchmark for what's possible today in 28mm Napoleonics STLs. His minis are a delight.

These look a lot, lot better than anything else I've seen. Consider me corrected!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lilljonas posted:

Wow those are pretty fantastic, and now I'm annoyed that he's only done minor countries so far.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

alg posted:

These look a lot, lot better than anything else I've seen. Consider me corrected!

Yeah they are definitely not the norm, but rather a showcase of what's possible with the right artist.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Big fan of Madox Historical's stuff too, this unit was all 3d printed (hasn't been painted yet, but I'd say the detail is on par with Perry stuff)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My 3mm modern sampler came in and I'm in love with how silly these are. I can kit out a whole Fistful of TOWs army for like $80

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 13, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

The FoW starter boxes have been stupidly good deals for a while now. The WW2 one is like 50 points a side of mixed tanks and infantry for about £50. The army boxes also aren't too bad but aren't quite as wildly good.
Yeah GW was doing that, but then they pivoted back towards the 90s era "game in a box" model, so expect FoW to follow soon.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Anyone know where i can get 28mm Vietnam style usmc troops? Preferably multi part and not super expensive metal, 3d printable stl also work . Looked like Rubicon had some but I figured I would ask here incase you all knew a better option.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I thought Warlord had them, but I guess I was thinking about Korea. How much changed between Korea and early Vietnam?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think a poster in this thread did a series of posts on a really neat Vietnam era 28mm game in which you track the individual squad members and their history in the conflict, almost kind of like RPG or campaign style. I seem to recall the models looked really good! I bet they know some good locations to get figures!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Empress Miniatures do a 28mm range for Vietnam including USMC, if you don’t mind metal

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I thought Warlord had them, but I guess I was thinking about Korea. How much changed between Korea and early Vietnam?

Depends on how picky you are - the most noticeable things would be different rifles, packs and gear, and helmet covers.

Empress is very good, but I highly recommend a company called Gringo40s. They do beautiful 28mm Vietnam USMC:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did USMC uniforms change appreciably since WW2? Warlord makes some pretty great Marines, and you can find M-16s everywhere

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Cessna posted:

Depends on how picky you are - the most noticeable things would be different rifles, packs and gear, and helmet covers.

Empress is very good, but I highly recommend a company called Gringo40s. They do beautiful 28mm Vietnam USMC:

I guess it also depends on *when* in Vietnam. THe Marines were still using M14s for a while, I thought?

The Marines are always using last war's gear.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
These would all fall under the "expensive metal" excluder the OP mentioned.

Looking I did find out that Elheim Minis is starting to release their catalog as STLs which is cool.

These are w/M14s though.
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-usmc1-marines-in-vietnam-with-m14s-skirmishing-20mm-elhiem-213511

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-usmc2-usmc-in-vietnam-with-m14-patrol-poses-20mm-elhiem-216104

I think your best bang-for-buck is still going to be Rubicon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

the Rubicon plastics are really nice:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Look, if you want to use WWII USMC in Vietnam, go for it. They're your models. If you want to proxy in 40K Tyranids as USMC, cool, have fun! As long as you're playing the game you want to play, do it!

If you're asking about history, they changed pretty much everything. Yes, they both wore green, but everything else changed. I think it would be very noticeable in 28mm scale, but again, it doesn't matter to me what you're doing on your table.

WWII on the left, Vietnam on the right:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Here's the whole site, and yeah I guess they did change a bit even from Korea to early Vietnam

https://www.defense.gov/Multimedia/Experience/Common-Threads/Common-Threads-Marine-Corps/

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

But again, it's your game. If you want basic troops that can play against WWII Japanese and maybe slide into Vietnam, sure, get WWII troops.

Personally I've proxied WWII Soviets into Team Yankee, just because I already had a whole pile of WWII Soviets already painted and I didn't want to spend weeks painting a new army for a game I wasn't sure I was going to buy into. If someone had said something about how they were carrying tiny Mosin Nagants instead of AKMs - who cares?

Edit: Also, anyone who gets really pissy about this sort of thing - "omg, your toy soldiers have the wrong hats" - is probably not going to be a lot of fun to play against anyway.

I use, and continue to use, Flames of War Vietnam US soldiers as my Team Yankee Americans. I just say my army is from 1980 or so, so it's historically accurate.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 14, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cessna posted:

Woah, yeah I probably wouldn't make that substitution at bigger than 15mm after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Look, if you want to use WWII USMC in Vietnam, go for it. They're your models. If you want to proxy in 40K Tyranids as USMC, cool, have fun! As long as you're playing the game you want to play, do it!

If you're asking about history, they changed pretty much everything. Yes, they both wore green, but everything else changed. I think it would be very noticeable in 28mm scale, but again, it doesn't matter to me what you're doing on your table.

The buttons look the same :colbert: