Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Argh, I just put a big ol scratch into my S8. Guess I can still buy Applecare and do a repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thanks Tim Apple. Walked around Disney today and everyone else I was with for 18k steps but I got 9k, probably because I was pushing a stroller and not swinging my arms while walking. I thought the iPhone would detect walking and align it with the Watch’s data to make up for this kind of situation but I guess not.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe you have a stride twice as powerful?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Fitbits can to this day still not reliably sync via Bluetooth.
Which is pretty wild since they bought Pebble, right? And I never had that kind of problem with the two Pebble Watches I used. Couldn’t copy their notes or something?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone use kj?

Im trying to figure out if it’s a bug in the new watchOS 9 exercise app that the page that shows your live rings seems locked to kcal. Or I’m reading it wrong?

That’s a great new feature by the way, especially if I’m just doing a walk or something to close my rings.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Violator posted:

Thanks Tim Apple. Walked around Disney today and everyone else I was with for 18k steps but I got 9k, probably because I was pushing a stroller and not swinging my arms while walking. I thought the iPhone would detect walking and align it with the Watch’s data to make up for this kind of situation but I guess not.

I have the opposite issue, where I get full three circles while being at a desk for eight hours and on a couch for another eight. I think it’s the worse fitness tracker data I have seen to the point I use a bt footpod for running/walking metrics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

I have the opposite issue, where I get full three circles while being at a desk for eight hours and on a couch for another eight. I think it’s the worse fitness tracker data I have seen to the point I use a bt footpod for running/walking metrics.

What the. I have to go out of my way to get exercise and movement activity tracked. Do you have the wrong wrist orientation set? I alternate which wrist I have the watch every now and then and sometimes forget to update that and I get some funky things where I get standing credit while sitting and such.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What the. I have to go out of my way to get exercise and movement activity tracked. Do you have the wrong wrist orientation set? I alternate which wrist I have the watch every now and then and sometimes forget to update that and I get some funky things where I get standing credit while sitting and such.

Orientation is correct on settings (left wrist, crown on the right side). I am perplexed as you are, especially given how everybody raves about the watch being precise and all.

Edit: After a bit of sampling, waving my arms at work or just typing on a keyboard will count as red bar data, so the MEMS only work on relative(single axis arm movement) rather than absolute(three axis body movement)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 13, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if all of your rings are closing from 16 hours of straight sedentary desk/couch time, your watch is busted

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What is the move goal set to? It's totally acceptable to be credited with a few hundred move calories per day even if you're at a desk the whole time. There's no way you're sitting perfectly still the whole time and the watch records that.

The red ring is basically an "are you alive?" tracker. The number always goes up, and it goes up a lot faster when you're doing exercise.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

What is the move goal set to? It's totally acceptable to be credited with a few hundred move calories per day even if you're at a desk the whole time. There's no way you're sitting perfectly still the whole time and the watch records that.

The red ring is basically an "are you alive?" tracker. The number always goes up, and it goes up a lot faster when you're doing exercise.

Stock value from the first run wizard(460 kcal). Since i've found it so unreliable in registering activity, i never edited the objectives (like registering me running when in my car and the phone is in drive focus mode). I use the watch as a notification device so the MEMS being on the fritz is not worth investing time in asking for repairs.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

Argh, I just put a big ol scratch into my S8. Guess I can still buy Applecare and do a repair.

Wait how long do you have to do this? I dropped mine on the floor at the gym and put a nice dent in the corner and the edge of the glass.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

track day bro! posted:

Wait how long do you have to do this? I dropped mine on the floor at the gym and put a nice dent in the corner and the edge of the glass.

It depends on the device. Do it over the phone and play dumb. Don't mention any dents or scratches. If you can still add AppleCare they'll run a diagnostic to make sure the device isn't already broken. If it passes, you can add it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There are a couple spots that tell you how long you have left to buy Applecare on recently purchased devices. The watch app on a phone says right near the top how many days you have left to buy. The Apple Store app also has a list.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I want to get hold of a travel charger for my Apple watch but can't find a good one that will ship to Denmark/withing the EU. Looking for something that does not have a wire built in, but has a USB-C port on it. Something like the iFory Magnetic Watch Charger would be great but I can't find it for sale over here. It's a Series 7 if that makes a difference.

The official Apple duo charger thing is like €100 which is way too much for something I use twice a year and has a high potential of getting lost.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 13, 2022

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

It depends on the device. Do it over the phone and play dumb. Don't mention any dents or scratches. If you can still add AppleCare they'll run a diagnostic to make sure the device isn't already broken. If it passes, you can add it.

I mean the thing still works perfectly fine, it’s just got an ugly looking ding near the corner of the screen. It’s purely cosmetic but it’s kinda annoying as somehow I kept my last one in perfect condition.

It does look like I’ve got 30 days left to buy anyway.

It says that accidental damage with apple care is like 50 on top of the cost for apple care. But an out of warranty repair is like 300 so I guess thats better and then if I do something stupid again I it’s only 50.

I’ve not bought applecare on anything since my old Macbook in 2015 because it was like the most expensive laptop I’d purchased at the time. Also I never ended up using it.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 13, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah for Applecare+ there's a fee for accidental damage. For issues that are due to defect, there's no additional charge.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

Which is pretty wild since they bought Pebble, right? And I never had that kind of problem with the two Pebble Watches I used. Couldn’t copy their notes or something?

I am here to just say rip Pebble.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I’ve got a S5 that’s mostly still going strong and haven’t seen a ton that’s got me interested in the newer versions except I have a vague impression that they charge significantly faster. Is that accurate? I’d be tempted to upgrade if I don’t have to leave it on a charger for an hour+ every day.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

rafikki posted:

I’ve got a S5 that’s mostly still going strong and haven’t seen a ton that’s got me interested in the newer versions except I have a vague impression that they charge significantly faster. Is that accurate? I’d be tempted to upgrade if I don’t have to leave it on a charger for an hour+ every day.

eh. I can't feel the speed increases except for minor app switching or starting, but S5 was already quick for me.

The aspects I like are with S7: larger screen and a couple new watch faces. S6/S7 have new sensors that are nice when you monitor your sleep. S8 has better GPS, but not much else (unless you are tracking ovulation).

I picked up some cheap S6 and S7 SS models and I can't say they have wow'd me other than above mentioned and a newer battery. Apple can fix up your battery for $79, though.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the 7 and 8 should charge 33% faster according to the specs, if that's significant to you

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Bad Purchase posted:

the 7 and 8 should charge 33% faster according to the specs, if that's significant to you
I can tell you, I definitely can feel it whenever I charge my S7 on the puck from my S3. Of course it’s not a big deal for overnight charging but I wear mine overnight so faster charging in the morning/evening is useful.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

fourwood posted:

I can tell you, I definitely can feel it whenever I charge my S7 on the puck from my S3. Of course it’s not a big deal for overnight charging but I wear mine overnight so faster charging in the morning/evening is useful.

Yeah, that’s where I’m at. It’s not usually a big deal working from home, but bites me in the rear end sometimes if I’m going to be out all day.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You have to use the new USB-C puck right?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i was going to ask about this myself. i've just been using my old cable from my s3 for my s8, since my bedside charger thing i use doesn't have enough USB c sockets. seems to work fine, but should i be using the usb-c puck that came with the new watch?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

marktheando posted:

i was going to ask about this myself. i've just been using my old cable from my s3 for my s8, since my bedside charger thing i use doesn't have enough USB c sockets. seems to work fine, but should i be using the usb-c puck that came with the new watch?

It won’t fast charge with the old puck. That’s all.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PirateDentist posted:

It won’t fast charge with the old puck. That’s all.

cool, i don't sleep with the watch on so that suits me fine. just need to remember to use the other cable if i ever need fast charge

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

marktheando posted:

cool, i don't sleep with the watch on so that suits me fine. just need to remember to use the other cable if i ever need fast charge

I have my new cable at home, and I took my old one to work in case I need to top off.

Also to note for the fast charge to work it needs to be on an 18W+ USB-C Apple charger, or "A comparable third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) of 5W or greater". It'll work with a lower power one just fine, but may not fast charge. I happened to have some 20W apple ones kicking around so all my stuff is on them.

I'm still annoyed they aren't compatible with normal rear end qi or even magsafe chargers. :argh: I really wanted one charger for all my travels.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have a good reasonably priced nylon strap recommendations? Fintie has been my go to for other watches/trackers but after trying two different straps they don’t seem to be able to get the fasteners right, particular for the “top” strap.

Buckles or Velcro would be fine

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

will the usb c ports on a macbook pro put out enough power to fast charge a watch?

i've been plugging the puck that came with my new s7 into my 14" m1 mbp to charge. it seems plenty fast so far and is definitely getting very warm, but would it be even faster with a dedicated 20W wall wart?

if it matters, the laptop is connected the 67w magsafe power adapter while it's charging the watch.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bad Purchase posted:

will the usb c ports on a macbook pro put out enough power to fast charge a watch?

i've been plugging the puck that came with my new s7 into my 14" m1 mbp to charge. it seems plenty fast so far and is definitely getting very warm, but would it be even faster with a dedicated 20W wall wart?

if it matters, the laptop is connected the 67w magsafe power adapter while it's charging the watch.

I've been wondering the same, as far as I can tell there's not any indicator that the watch is fast charging or not though. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I believe MBPs have been able to fast charge iPhones and normal charge iPads for awhile, so I'm sure they can fast charge Watches.

They maaaaaaaaay need to be powered by USB-C rather than MagSafe depending on your total system load, but hard to say.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PirateDentist posted:

I have my new cable at home, and I took my old one to work in case I need to top off.

Also to note for the fast charge to work it needs to be on an 18W+ USB-C Apple charger, or "A comparable third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) of 5W or greater". It'll work with a lower power one just fine, but may not fast charge. I happened to have some 20W apple ones kicking around so all my stuff is on them.

I'm still annoyed they aren't compatible with normal rear end qi or even magsafe chargers. :argh: I really wanted one charger for all my travels.

i hate how complicated USB and HDMI are these days.

but yeah i have one USB-C port on my multi port charger thing that meets those specs, just didn't want to give it up to my watch full time. also how did i get to a point in my life where i need 5 usb ports at bedside?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've been charging my s8 on my old s5 charger just out of habit. Never thought to change the cable. But I switched and it charges much faster now.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have a good reasonably priced nylon strap recommendations? Fintie has been my go to for other watches/trackers but after trying two different straps they don’t seem to be able to get the fasteners right, particular for the “top” strap.

Buckles or Velcro would be fine

Best Buy has some of the Apple Sport Loops on sale for $25-$30.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/search...s=960&keys=keys

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Apparently my wife's apple watch series 2 does not exist according to best buy, and apple website says it's not worth anything for trade in. Weird.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Apparently my wife's apple watch series 2 does not exist according to best buy, and apple website says it's not worth anything for trade in. Weird.

I mean the truth is at this point it's basically guaranteed to be recycled

there isn't any value for it as a refurb device at this point

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Buff Hardback posted:

I mean the truth is at this point it's basically guaranteed to be recycled

there isn't any value for it as a refurb device at this point

I wasn't expecting to get much for it, but Best Buy lists the series 1 and 3, completely omitting the series 2. More weird than anything!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

yeah the trade in offered on my s3 was so low that i didn't bother doing it, so you aren't missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The watches lose value very quickly. You basically have two paths: Trade/sell and upgrade every year or use it until you can't install the next OS.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 18, 2022