Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

golden sun....64!

not yet, but soon

The folks who develop these incredible fan projects remind me of the guy who helped develop the polio vaccine and refused to patent it. Sharing your expertise, passion, and time, for the betterment of all humankind. Pure goodness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
At this point it's only a matter of time until we see a reconstruction of Earthbound 64

They call it 64 because that's how many seconds it'll take for the cease & desist to be sent

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Relax Or DIE posted:

i've been slowly plugging through fatal frame, might do the sequels also. hellnight, the excavation of hob's barrow, darkwood, shadow tower abyss(only sorta counts), rule of rose, siren(maybe 2?,) and haunting ground are on the list too if i get the motivation.

Take my advice, if you play Siren use a guide, it's a frustrating and impenetrable game that's made slightly less so if you at least know what you're supposed to be doing.

2 at least is fine without though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I should play medievil in honor of spooky

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

At this point it's only a matter of time until we see a reconstruction of Earthbound 64

They call it 64 because that's how many seconds it'll take for the cease & desist to be sent

I always love when projects like these get announced publicly with a trailer, and then Nintendo shuts them down within a day

Like guys... complete that poo poo IN SECRET, THEN drop the trailer + release link so Nintendo doesn't shut your poo poo down.
C&D's dont work once it's out.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am playing Inscryption right now, then will be going into Symphony of the Night, so they are both sort of spooky. Dracula is spooky.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SOTN is a pretty dang good october game.

And also the best game ever made.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

SOTN is a pretty dang good october game.

And also the best game ever made.

I am looking forward to it! I recently played through bloodstained twice in a row and have heard SotN is the precursor to all this. I also played Metroid dread and had a fantastic time. Plus 2D platforming!

It is the PS4 version, though, because that is what I have installed on the PS5 and my PS3 dualshock left joystick fell out so I probably cannot use that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
inscryption is pretty cool

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

UNDECEMBER preliminary report:

seems fine tbh. there are a bunch of free to play monetization things going on (two battle passes? i think?) but that all seems like poo poo i can completely ignore. there's enough log in bonuses to get you through the early levels (including a week of free pet auto loot--though regular looting is easy, you just walk over stuff) and the gameplay is still fun.

the steam reviews are Mostly Negative because apparently people don't expect free to play games to have lots of microtransaction stuff.

i looked through the options on the store and it's just... lost ark. again. without the inexplicable amount of hype that game got (and was just as if not even more predatory with RMT). you can buy costumes, you can buy starter kits that come with some upgrade materials, you can get various amounts of currency + other stuff in bundles. it's all the same poo poo, there's nothing new or unexpected here at all. i certainly don't see the kind of whacko poo poo diablo immortal tried to sell people.

as far as the gameplay, i've only gotten through 2/3 of the 2nd act but i'm shooting fireballs that also chain lightning bolts on hit, and i've unlocked two new ranged minions that i can summon. i'm having a grand time.

my conclusion is: i will probably play through the main campaign and be done with it. if the leveling starts getting gatekept by RNG bullshit or anything like that i'll just quit. it's free. :shrug:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

2/3rds of Inscryption is pretty cool imho

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Sakurazuka posted:

Take my advice, if you play Siren use a guide, it's a frustrating and impenetrable game that's made slightly less so if you at least know what you're supposed to be doing.

2 at least is fine without though.

yeah, I had figured this was a good idea - I owned siren when it was current and did not make a lot of progress despite finding it fascinating

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

yup

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think slowbeef worked on a Siren-like called Atama which is out today maybe I'll check it out

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I am looking forward to it! I recently played through bloodstained twice in a row and have heard SotN is the precursor to all this. I also played Metroid dread and had a fantastic time. Plus 2D platforming!

It is the PS4 version, though, because that is what I have installed on the PS5 and my PS3 dualshock left joystick fell out so I probably cannot use that.

PS4 version is packaged with Rondo of Blood which is also a super good game so you lucked out.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Whizzing Wizard posted:

This thread has an Atelier defender, it needs a Star Ocean defender. It's not going to be me, but somebody needs to step up!

I've been playing the rerelease of the psp port of the first game and I've been enjoying in as much as it's a very 90s jrpg and that's an aesthetic I have a great capacity to appreciate. I would like to play the second one too if they ever decide to rerelease it. The rest of the series looks meh. The new one looks meh

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

PS4 version is packaged with Rondo of Blood which is also a super good game so you lucked out.

Amazingly I played my first metroid this year, with Dread and this will be my first castlevania all the way (I did try it out briefly at the end of 2021 when I had finished all my games). However, I have played a number of other castlevanias, like Blasphemous, Bloodstained, Hollow Knight, Shantae to name a few :)

I love 2D platformers, just love them to bits. My favourite kind of game above all, despite my favourite games of all time not being them.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The only major downside of the rerelease is that I think they used the dull PSP retranslation and not the iconic orginal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nevermind!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Whizzing Wizard posted:

The only major downside of the rerelease is that I think they used the dull PSP retranslation and not the iconic orginal.

The new translation, dull voice acting, and just about all the sound effects sounding like dinky mobile versions of the original. The psx had an amazing sound chip.

Otherwise, the game is evergreen.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Amazingly I played my first metroid this year, with Dread

Hope yall get around to Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and Fusion at some point as well.

They are all extremely good.
I would love for Samus Returns to get ported to the Switch as some point as well, seems like a bit of a no brainer after Dreads success.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Stux posted:

summer is the best. shorts on. light tees. sun. ohhhhhh

this is from last thread but :yeah:, its so easy to get dressed in the summer...!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fortunately the PSP version of SotN lets you change the voices to Japanese so you can hear Norio Wakamoto rolling his R's to insane levels as Dracula.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I put tons of hours into Star Ocean 2 but never beat it. It does a lot of really cool things that I think people would still think are interesting.

There are two selectable player characters at the beginning, with one being a space boi while the other is a magical girl. The general story stays the same but there are times you get to see things from one perspective or the other, such as an early mission where the girl is kidnapped. I think Tales of Xillia does this too, as a point of reference.

Each main character gets access to a unique party member, and there are 12 playable characters in all. You can only get 8 characters in your party in a playthrough, and some require a decent amount of side questing to unlock. A relic of its age, where optional RPG party members were more common, but a good replay hook of you were going through it twice anyway.

Like 80 endings based on your party composition and how the characters feel about each other. You can initiate Private Actions at any town that break the party up and allow for side stories and secrets, and they raise or lower hidden meters dictating affection.

A pretty interesting set of Personal Skills, which are things like Cooking or Blacksmithing or combat skills that you can increase with points earned during a level up. They provide a number of extra features, and let you do stuff like pickpocket really good items early on and craft them into powerful items.

Combat is as engaging as you want. You can run around as a fighter and battles feel very actions, or you can spank Air Slash to kill things without moving, or you can cast a spell that freezes the action while an animation plays out. I thought the fighter characters were fun and skills “evolve” the more you use them, which is my love language.

I honestly don’t remember much about the story, but I know that it did some bold things for the time.

I kind of want to play it again now, just to see how it holds up against my nostalgia. I think it starts slow, with only two characters and limited skills, but if you stick with it past the second or third town you’ll get a better picture of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 80 endings thing is a misnomer, it's one ending with some slight variations depending on who you have in your party and what their affection levels are.

The PS1 equivalent of the Chrono Trigger box saying it has 60 hours of gameplay (if you NG+ 10 times to see all the endings).

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

The 80 endings thing is a misnomer, it's one ending with some slight variations depending on who you have in your party and what their affection levels are.

The PS1 equivalent of the Chrono Trigger box saying it has 60 hours of gameplay (if you NG+ 10 times to see all the endings).

Depending on load times it takes upwards of 100 hours.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I’m gonna be honest, this might be a blistering hot gamer take but imho the original Dracula speech is mediocre compared to the PSP version.

Edit: also Veeg, I mentioned before that Rondo of Blood is packaged with most ports of SOTN but not that SOTN is the sequel, so you might wanna play RoB first if you don’t have a strong preference.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 13, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really loved chrono trigger so I endured it but yeah, those psx load times were quite bad

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
DS version of Chrono Trigger is best version of Chrono Trigger

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Last Celebration posted:

I’m gonna be honest, this might be a blistering hot gamer take but imho the original Dracula speech is mediocre compared to the PSP version.

Let me be honest for a second, your post is factually wrong and deserves scorn.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

DS version of Chrono Trigger is best version of Chrono Trigger

This is true.... but for how long..????

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Great new av Veeg

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Having a SOTN with properly translated dialogue is good in my opinion and the original is still iconic and easily accessible so it's the best of both worlds

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

One thing is for sure though, the new Alucard sucks compared to the old one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV0edD_Gsw8

bone emulator fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 13, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dracula's super sassy and sarcastic in the original it's great

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Last time i played sotn, the second half was weirdly a bit of a drag, like the levels didn't feel designed right, e.g. having to slowly transform into the bat for a sec because your double jump couldn't quite make it up high enough

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Most 2D Castlevanias released post SOTN are better than it imo, only Curse of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance aren’t superior

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The DS Castlevanias are insanely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Castlevania games on PlayStation 1, Gameboy Advance, and Nintendo DS were extremely good.