Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Karloff posted:

I don't know, and to be fair, I've not read it. But that sounds like a big contrast to the film's "you were the real hero all along" happy ending where the hero gets the girl. I was under the impression the Mask in the books is a villainous figure and a curse and not the trickster hero of the film version, is that assumption incorrect?

Again, VERY last half of the VERY first arc. the Arc ends with Stanley's girlfriend using the mask to escape the Mob after killing an abusive, increasingly desperate Stanley planning to escape town in horror of his previous actions. They make it very blatenly clear its only as evil as the Wearer's Id. Now Toys in the Attic is where I'll agree with you that its straight up villainous

I'm not saying it's a "hero" by any stretch of the imagination. It ultimately depends on the amount of pathos the reader has for the wearer. It's the literal definition of "Chaotic-Neutral"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

live with fruit posted:

Considering that we got Sam Raimi the last time an MCU movie lost its director, this could all end up for the best.

Yeah, I don't mind this. It sounds like they're treating it seriously and when they think its not up to snuff they're stripping it down to make it work. I dunno. That's me being hopeful but obviously it would be worse if they were just pushing through with a movie even the lead wasn't happy with. And maybe the weirder stuff from Moon Knight and Werewolf By Night have changed what Marvel thinks they can and should do with Blade from like when they were developing the Eternals and somehow had him worked into that. Hopefully a clearer picture has come into mind. And hopefully Ali doesn't get too old to be part of it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress did they have riding on Blade of all things that they had to delay so much?!

mcu dark universe

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's not surprising to think that they've got big plans for Blade considering that he's one of their best known remaining IPs and it sounds like something of a passion project for a multiple Oscar winner.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Again, VERY last half of the VERY first arc. the Arc ends with Stanley's girlfriend using the mask to escape the Mob after killing an abusive, increasingly desperate Stanley planning to escape town in horror of his previous actions. They make it very blatenly clear its only as evil as the Wearer's Id. Now Toys in the Attic is where I'll agree with you that its straight up villainous

I'm not saying it's a "hero" by any stretch of the imagination. It ultimately depends on the amount of pathos the reader has for the wearer. It's the literal definition of "Chaotic-Neutral"

here's every time stanley murders someone in issue 1

i think this one particularly exemplifies the humor of the original mask run. if you focus on the superficial level of "oh look she has looney tunes eyes and bighead thinks he's being funny" you're not paying attention to the whole scene in which what is occuring is actually really hosed up and traumatic. and that's true for basically all of the book where the story is every character who initially wants the mask discovers that it's extremely dangerous and invariably tried to turn the wearer into an awful person even while not wearing it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isn't the entire 'joke' of The Mask is that it is effectively a cartoon whose victims get real world consequences?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just like Jim Carrey!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress did they have riding on Blade of all things that they had to delay so much?!

As best I can tell, it's less about what's riding on Blade (note that Cap 4, Thunderbolts, and Kang Dynasty weren't delayed here) and more about Marvel Studios staking out 3-4 release slots a year years in advance. it's easier to reshuffle/delay movies in existing slots than it is to stake out a new release slot.

Admittedly, I'm not exactly clear on why that's easier; if anyone can scare a competing studio off a release date, it's Marvel Studios, but hey, I don't work in Hollywood.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The official runtime for Wakanda Forever is 2 hrs, 41 mins, which makes it one of the longest MCU movies

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FlamingLiberal posted:

The official runtime for Wakanda Forever is 2 hrs, 41 mins, which makes it one of the longest MCU movies

Is Endgame the only one longer than that?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arist posted:

Is Endgame the only one longer than that?
Yes, at 3 hours.

This would come in as the second longest, even longer than Eternals or Infinity War.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm torn. On the one hand, I've said repeatedly that most of these movies are too long these days. On the other, I really liked the first one so I'm also pretty excited for a long-rear end BP movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not at all surprised considering this movie has to-

-Deal with T'Challa's death
-Introduce and establish both Namor and where he comes from
-Introduce Ironheart

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I’m a hypocrite. If a movie has my focus then 3 hours are ok. If it doesn’t it’s a mistake. In this case between Boseman’s death and all the elements in play I’m hyped for Wakanda Forever and don’t mind a long run time. But I’m also probably not seeing it in the theater and just waiting until it hits Disney+ around Christmas.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Probably a good idea to give a lot of time to losing and grieving T'Challa. You don't want to rush the audience through that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Hopefully it means there’s time to give him full time and still not have to rush the Namor or Ironheart stuff. The movie seems packed so it doesn’t seem like padding.

Of course there could still be pacing issues. We’ll just have to see.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Longer runtime just puts more pressure on it to be good. I don't actually care when the movie rules. I don't think I felt Batman's length (probably could phrase that better) until very near the end.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol discovery gutting wb. I wonder when they start selling IPs

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m also kind of tentatively hyped for Black Adam? I mean I know all the drama about WB and DC and everything’s been a mess. But the trailers seem like the movie could be a fun time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol discovery gutting wb. I wonder when they start selling IPs
I don't know if they'll do that, but it's going to be bad times for anyone who works at WBD

They've already said that they will be relying more on their existing IPs, so expect a lot less risk taking.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Someone is probably pitching 180 day fiancé right this second.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Dave posted:

Someone is probably pitching 180 day fiancé right this second.

Price is Right strategy. 91 days.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They ran into rights issues around bringing Dracula into the MCU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Prevailing rumor seems to be that Tariq and Ali were at odds over the script and that Ali (unsurprisingly) won out, though obviously I can't say if that's true

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

site posted:

here's every time stanley murders someone in issue 1

i think this one particularly exemplifies the humor of the original mask run. if you focus on the superficial level of "oh look she has looney tunes eyes and bighead thinks he's being funny" you're not paying attention to the whole scene in which what is occuring is actually really hosed up and traumatic. and that's true for basically all of the book where the story is every character who initially wants the mask discovers that it's extremely dangerous and invariably tried to turn the wearer into an awful person even while not wearing it

it's been awhile since I've read the comic, i forgot about the teacher. You're right and I stand corrected.

The original Mask comic (that very first run) was surprisingly everybit as funny as the movie. The only Arc that could be considered "dark" was Toys in the Attic and people did not like it at all originally.

this is where I hosed up. I am extremely bad with words. I am wrong. it's hard for me to elaborate what I meant by "funny".... Just know I did not mean it was lighthearted humor at ALL. The type of humor you'd see in something like a Garth Innis comic, hence:

I feel like if we were to somehow get a Mask reboot it would straight up have to be handled by the The Boys writers, just due to the fact they're able to handle Black Humor well in a way i haven't seen from Screenwriters in awhile

It would need a Seth Rogen type who's able to create a perfect juxtaposition between the over the top hyperviolence and very hosed up Dark Comedy aspects.

https://twitter.com/ashleylynch/status/1147323063068790784?t=SJ3HGG5MqySFsA1AVnRUOg&s=19

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Blade skipping over Captain America and Thunderbolts as they weren't delayed.

Creates a 10 month movie gap between The Marvels in July '23 and Cap in May '24.

Possibly Spider-Man in between there?

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1242943-spider-man-4-release-date-reportedly-set-for-2024

Edit: never mind, read the article close, looks like Spider-Man is potentially slated for July '24

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Black Adam spoilers are hitting. I wasn't planning on going to see it in theaters so I went ahead and watched some on Tik Tok

WARNING AHEAD SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

the rumors were true, Cavill is back as Superman in a post credit scene

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Black Adam spoilers are hitting. I wasn't planning on going to see it in theaters so I went ahead and watched some on Tik Tok

So out of curiosity do they actually mention or show Captain Marvel at any point or are they still doing the 'we pretend BA isn't a Captain Marvel villain' thing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dunno, someone just put that video up on tik tok there was no other discussion.

But I did see some interviews where Johnson was asked why he wasn't hip to fight Shazam and he dodged it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

If Black Adam even says "Shazam!" in the movie I'll be surprised.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Makes sense considering Cavill is repped by Rock's ex wife or something like that

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wonder if Dwayne was emboldened to try and push Adam as not being a Shazam villain after seeing how Sony managed to more or less duck the issue of Venom being a Spider-Man villain

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like it’s ok for him not to be a Shazam villain. I definitely think of him first bad the JSA antihero. Would be nice if they keep a connection in his origin. Just someone Billy could end up with a complicated relationship with if these movies every get on track. But I dunno. It’s all a mess and I can just care more about a stand-alone adventure film than another overly messy and heavy DCEU film.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Did not see this coming.

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1580720307442049024

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
would have been nice to get someone younger and who gave a poo poo about acting. But also, I don't see him needing the paycheck, so maybe he really wants to do it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Huh, alright

We better get a Harrison Ford Rulk

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you're going to recast why not just get Sam Elliot back?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mameluke posted:

They ran into rights issues around bringing Dracula into the MCU

more specifically, Oscar Isaac said he should get to beat that loving nerd up first

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Opopanax posted:

If you're going to recast why not just get Sam Elliot back?

Because you can get Harrison Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I guess if it we get a cgi Ford Rulk out of it I’m kind of in