Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Serf posted:

poo poo this is brilliant, why didn't I think of this.

MPC is pretty dope, I ordered 3 cEDH decks and 3 casual Commander decks for less than $200. The real "value" of the decks is like 10k lmao (they have played us for absolute fools.jpg). The only downside is that the shipping time has been brutal. Something like a month to get here

If you can group people together for a big enough order then the FedEx option becomes worth it and takes less than a week. Our last order was 2400 cards and even with FedEx shipping and UK sales tax added on it was 24p per card.

My first order was solo. I showed my group the cards and the next order was all 4 of us. They showed some of their friends the cards and the next order was 6 people. It takes time to build up but I strongly recommend becoming a hype-man for it because once people actually see the cards they flip to pro-proxy pretty loving fast and that makes all your future purchases cheaper.

e: the doom stacks

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tarnop posted:

If you can group people together for a big enough order then the FedEx option becomes worth it and takes less than a week. Our last order was 2400 cards and even with FedEx shipping and UK sales tax added on it was 24p per card.

My first order was solo. I showed my group the cards and the next order was all 4 of us. They showed some of their friends the cards and the next order was 6 people. It takes time to build up but I strongly recommend becoming a hype-man for it because once people actually see the cards they flip to pro-proxy pretty loving fast and that makes all your future purchases cheaper.

Hahaha look at that, that fuckin rules

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I found that the best "get them hooked" method for MPC is to make a pack of Lands/Rocks small enough that you can order a dozen or so of them, and sell em to friends for $20 a pop or whatever.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Framboise posted:

Hahaha look at that, that fuckin rules

Your Izzet swappable commander deck is top of the list for my next order

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

LanceKing2200 posted:

I found that the best "get them hooked" method for MPC is to make a pack of Lands/Rocks small enough that you can order a dozen or so of them, and sell em to friends for $20 a pop or whatever.

smh, you really just jumped headfirst in the pool shouting "I sell my proxies". I'm a big supporter of MPC and such, but there's a reason each card has NOT FOR SALE on them. You should... really not do that. Just give them away or prize pool them.

Basically, listen to this guy instead:

quote:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Third, or whatevering, the idea to just order a stack and show them off. My group was on the fence about proxies until I played a deck with some in there and they are all on board now. We're getting the first of what will probably be many orders together this week.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The World Inferno posted:

smh, you really just jumped headfirst in the pool shouting "I sell my proxies". I'm a big supporter of MPC and such, but there's a reason each card has NOT FOR SALE on them. You should... really not do that. Just give them away or prize pool them.

Just to be clear, I think he's stating that he puts together a curated collection of like 50 cards that he paid ~12 bux total for and sells them as proxies to friends at a slight markup to his friends to account for his time and overhead, which seems totally fine to me.

(As far as I know, MPC doesn't mandate the NOT FOR SALE notice, that's a choice on the person ordering. They do have some requirements about removing copyright info, and such measures obviously differentiate them from legitimate cards, to the casual observer, which is why we regard them as different from counterfeits, in context.)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
And if I'm wrong and he's selling MPC cards at $20/pop to his friends, get his rear end or whatever.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tarnop posted:

Your Izzet swappable commander deck is top of the list for my next order

Tell me how it works out, I still haven't even built it yet rofl

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tarnop posted:

Hell yeah, that's sick. I'm putting together a list of staples that are overpriced like duals, fetches, all the good interaction, etc, and I'm gonna see if my group wants to go in on getting an order with a bunch of each. I've got at least 2 others onboard so far. Split the cost and come out with a good pool of cards that we can all use. Far more reasonable than everyone sinking hundreds of dollars into their own decks.

We still want to do stuff like budget and Pauper Commander too. I'm building a Voltron Venomthrope deck that I'm very excited about.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

It was about a year ago where I was told to knock it off when openly talking about proxies and how to make them. Now people are openly sharing proxy stories and it seems to be the go-to for playing commander.

I'm so proud of everyone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a new world. The old admin died and the new one is into all kinds of illegal stuff.

(I don't remember when Jeffrey took over and don't care to look)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't know where this narrative came from, but the EDH thread has always been pro-proxy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The folks I play with started off against the idea, but came around eventually because of two things. One is that people with money to buy the best cards were stomping everyone else, and both sides got bored of that because games got predictable. The other is that people want to play new decks and building them is pretty expensive. The solution to both problems is proxies.

Also the non-Commander players are getting onboard too after the $1000 proxy boosters announcement. We used to play nothing but Modern, no proxies allowed and now we're doing proxy-friendly Legacy and we're considering opening up Modern to proxies as well. I think everyone sees the writing on the wall when it comes to how expensive the game is going to keep being and with the price of literally everything else going up if you want to keep playing Magic it seems like this is the best course of action.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Framboise posted:

Tell me how it works out, I still haven't even built it yet rofl

I will! Normally before we order I make home-printed proxies and play the deck against my friends just to check I haven't built anything too obnoxious, so I'll let you know if it makes it to the "spending real money" phase

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Looks like the EDH Secret Lair starts shipping October 24th.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

Looks like the EDH Secret Lair starts shipping October 24th.

It will have only been about 10 and a half months for that one lmao

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tenasscity posted:

Toshimo posted:

It was about a year ago where I was told to knock it off when openly talking about proxies and how to make them. Now people are openly sharing proxy stories and it seems to be the go-to for playing commander.

I'm so proud of everyone.

I don't know where this narrative came from, but the EDH thread has always been pro-proxy.

I went and gave the last thread a cursory glance since I remembered this happening at least a bit. This was all in response to the Walking Dead Secret Lair. Looks like it was just LF. Others were like, "Yes, you know what, I think maybe now is the time for proxies."

Aphrodite posted:

It's a new world. The old admin died and the new one is into all kinds of illegal stuff.

(I don't remember when Jeffrey took over and don't care to look)

This was October 2020 (I woulda swore it was August) so only days before the sale was finalized.

And yeah, Wizards have certainly done nothing to avoid engendering a proxy-curiosity in many a Magic player.

If anyone reading this doesn't like proxies, don't worry. I used to be like you. Here is your mandatory re-education: Spice8RackWhy Proxying is Good and Cool, Actually | Feat. Sheepwave | Magic: The Gathering Explained[/url] by Spice8Rack.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Yeah I'm not selling them at a store or anything, basically just providing them to friends.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Just charging an "I'm too lazy to do this myself so I'll pay you to for it" convenience fee.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm a dummy, what card options do you typically use for Make Playing Cards? I'd like to at least get some cool looking tokens for some of my decks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm a dummy, what card options do you typically use for Make Playing Cards? I'd like to at least get some cool looking tokens for some of my decks.

This helped me a lot https://youtu.be/yWgxjzBE1TU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

I go for the S33, but some people swear by the S30. Pretty sure I just leave everything else the same.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
You can get a sample pack of different card stocks so I'd order one of those with your first order for sure.

The 30/33 are the two most popular because they're the closest to real cards. One is slightly thinner, the other slightly thicker. Emphasis on slightly. I can't tell a difference.

If you're ordering entire decks instead of just singles to mix in, then it doesn't really matter because you're not trying to match the rest of your cards. In that case I'd be sorely tempted to just get the plastic cards. No need to sleeve, your deck can be riffle shuffled to your hearts content, takes up less room and is spill proof.

As for proxy chat, this thread has been positive for a long time. I've been slapped down in the main MTG thread for talking about it in the past (mid edits to my posts, PMs asking me not to talk about it), but I don't think anyone bothers to check here.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Proxies are more valuable than real cards now. One Thousand United States Dollars

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Heath posted:

Proxies are more valuable than real cards now. One Thousand United States Dollars

If my group hadn't flipped already then this would have done it for sure.

Given that they are absolutely aware of the whole MPC thing, I can only assume that Wizards or Hasbro are taking a comparatively enlightened view that it's still worth keeping people playing kitchen table magic with proxies over driving them away from the game altogether, because they've made a lot of decisions that push people in that direction lately and 30th Anniversary is all the validation anyone needs that (a) proxies are fine and (b) WotC does not care about whether you can afford their products.

Either that or we're getting a GW-style crackdown on proxies in the near future

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Aranan posted:

You can get a sample pack of different card stocks so I'd order one of those with your first order for sure.

The 30/33 are the two most popular because they're the closest to real cards. One is slightly thinner, the other slightly thicker. Emphasis on slightly. I can't tell a difference.

If you're ordering entire decks instead of just singles to mix in, then it doesn't really matter because you're not trying to match the rest of your cards. In that case I'd be sorely tempted to just get the plastic cards. No need to sleeve, your deck can be riffle shuffled to your hearts content, takes up less room and is spill proof.

As for proxy chat, this thread has been positive for a long time. I've been slapped down in the main MTG thread for talking about it in the past (mid edits to my posts, PMs asking me not to talk about it), but I don't think anyone bothers to check here.

This post was pretty informative with regards to card stock options:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mpcproxies/comments/rycpki/mpc_card_stock_options_a_review/

Serf
May 5, 2011

The way we're handling it with our LGS is that when we do cEDH tournaments, the cost is $5 to enter and we have a big list of things you're allowed to proxy by default, like all the Reserved List cards, big time staples, etc. Mostly cards that are over $20. If your deck has proxies not on that list, it's an extra $5 to get in, which seems fair enough to me. I don't mind dropping money on sub-$20 cards or for special art cards, but I'd rather buy those from the LGS than online but our LGS has a limited selection. Overall not bad, we're gonna have two tournaments a month, so $20 a month with prize support is okay with me.

For casual stuff we're still trying to decide on guidelines and whatnot for decks, just to prevent people who show up with barely-upgraded precons from ending up losing to Thoracle or a turn 2 Storm deck with no idea what happened.

I'm pretty happy with the way things are going, especially since I have the OK from the group to build my terrible Genju of the Realms deck.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Serf posted:

For casual stuff we're still trying to decide on guidelines and whatnot for decks, just to prevent people who show up with barely-upgraded precons from ending up losing to Thoracle or a turn 2 Storm deck with no idea what happened.

Points system probably. I took a look and there was at some point a subtype of edh called infamy but I can't find a point list anywhere. Maybe Canadian highlander point along with taking the edhrec tier list could be a start.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Really wish MCP had a more reasonable jump from 234 to ~300 instead of going all the way to 396, specially since 396 is just shy of four (or eight) decks.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Batterypowered7 posted:

Really wish MCP had a more reasonable jump from 234 to ~300 instead of going all the way to 396, specially since 396 is just shy of four (or eight) decks.

Are you proxying basic lands as well? You could probably squeeze two 3 colored, two 2 colored decks and a mononcolored in 400 cards. Especially if you buy the less than 2 dollars cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MasterBuilder posted:

Are you proxying basic lands as well? You could probably squeeze two 3 colored, two 2 colored decks and a mononcolored in 400 cards. Especially if you buy the less than 2 dollars cards.

I've been proxying the basics just so that all the cards are the exact same thickness. I'm sure the difference is pretty much indiscernible once they're sleeved, but I just wanted to be sure.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

Points system probably. I took a look and there was at some point a subtype of edh called infamy but I can't find a point list anywhere. Maybe Canadian highlander point along with taking the edhrec tier list could be a start.

Yeah I think this has been mentioned. We have some like bingo card type things another LGS uses, we're gonna try them out soon.

Also, my MPC order came in and man do I love these cards. Being able to select from all kinds of arts is a lot of fun and there are a ton of really great options. The cards have the same kinda slick feel that cards from Strixhaven and Baldur's Gate had, which feels cheap, but they are cheap and they're going in sleeves anyways so it's never gonna matter.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Serf posted:

Also, my MPC order came in and man do I love these cards.

Holy crap where did you find this art. I need a ton of proxies based on specfic paperback covers immediately.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I ought to mention that some people on Reddit have found fraudulent charges on their cards after using MCP. Use Paypal or a prepaid card.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I brought my Drake posted:

Holy crap where did you find this art. I need a ton of proxies based on specfic paperback covers immediately.

This guy made it (name is on the top): https://www.artstation.com/logicwavelength

He doesn't seem to have any others though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I brought my Drake posted:

You can find it and a few others here in their Reddit post history (lol, I know)

https://www.reddit.com/user/LogicWavelength/submitted/

Their Damnation and Demonic Tutor are so good

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gynovore posted:

I ought to mention that some people on Reddit have found fraudulent charges on their cards after using MCP. Use Paypal or a prepaid card.

Ooh yeah, well remembered. I have ways used PayPal and no issues so far

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Serf posted:

You can find it and a few others here in their Reddit post history (lol, I know)

https://www.reddit.com/user/LogicWavelength/submitted/

Their Damnation and Demonic Tutor are so good

The poster also noted their google drive with all the cards (and templates) they made:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Wy_civ3TCeJWiC_0ND_dlPy9YLA8_Xgk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

George RR Fartin posted:

The poster also noted their google drive with all the cards (and templates) they made:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Wy_civ3TCeJWiC_0ND_dlPy9YLA8_Xgk

These designs are loving sick.